Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

I don't think the Monarch name is a good one. Unless you want Betsy stuck in Otherworld for the foreseeable future!(Out of sight, out of mind)

Beside Avalon is being passed around too much! First if was Arthur's and to my knowledge he's still the legitimate king of Avalon. Now it's in Jamie's hands thanks to Apocalypse, who doesn't really have a reason to give it up. It's can't now go to Betsy, who just became CB after wanting to always have the role. It's just too much mess for the character. Let her land somewhere for a while. Since the split from Psylocke, it doesn't really feel like there has been an attempt to either build a new foundation for the character or pick up from where she left off before she merged with Kwannon.

I agree a new codename is not necessary. Just call her Betsy and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    I don't think the Monarch name is a good one. Unless you want Betsy stuck in Otherworld for the foreseeable future!(Out of sight, out of mind)

Beside Avalon is being passed around too much! First if was Arthur's and to my knowledge he's still the legitimate king of Avalon. Now it's in Jamie's hands thanks to Apocalypse, who doesn't really have a reason to give it up. It's can't now go to Betsy, who just became CB after wanting to always have the role. It's just too much mess for the character. Let her land somewhere for a while. Since the split from Psylocke, it doesn't really feel like there has been an attempt to either build a new foundation for the character or pick up from where she left off before she merged with Kwannon.
    Monarch is also a butterfly. Not just another name for monarchy.

They should just build from her experience in X-men Diassembled and her brief new stint as Captain Britain. (I guess not brief since its been like 2-3 years)
    Last edited by CGAR; 05-27-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Monarch is also a butterfly. Not just another name for monarchy.

They should just build from her experience in X-men Diassebled and her brief new stint as Captain Britain. (I guess not brief since its been like 2-3 years)
    In Marvel time, it's been very brief!

I didn't realise that was a name for a type of butterfly. Even so it just makes it confusing for anyone not paying attention. Thinking about it, I think it would of been preferable for Betsy to go on a proper solo adventure to establish a new status quo for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I agree a new codename is not necessary. Just call her Betsy and be done with it.
    Would love it also. Emma, Jean and Kitty all made it work. Just Betsy or Lady Braddock with her Disassembled costume, butterfly TP and TK sword and shield.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Ok tolerate me venting for a quick second.

So I think my biggest concern with the post seperation of Kwannon and Betsy is how they chose to pursue it. I actually love both characters but I do think Kwannon has a lot of the traits we have known to be associated with Betsy. And honestly, there is NOTHING wrong with that. There are A LOT of people in the world that have similar personalities.

But TH really did decide to revert Betsy back to 80s Betsy. Even though the Betsy we have known and love is 80's Betsy PLUS everything else that happened after that.

I feel like Tini wanted to tell a story about a broken women who got her body back and was lost. But canonically we have seen Betsy offered back her body multiple times and not being as phased as she was this one last time. (And my head canon for this is that she was more heavily affected by this because the other woman was now actually present and very real) BTW this was never said in issue and TH never wrote or acknowledged any previous happenings of Betsy and her body.

The body dysmorphia angle (which a lot of people don't like) is actaully ok with me because it aligns with her not being happy not being a warrior and not having the capabilities at the time to protect herself like the other X-Men or her brother. And also for me aligns with the butterfly metamorphasis into a beautiful strong creature. Which IMO applied when she brought herself back from nothingness with all of the energy taking from Sapphire Styx.

I understand that having her OG appearance back would have an affect on oneself but I disagree with the approach that was taken. And it goes to show that there was really no plan.

Mystery of Madripoor ended on that cliffhanger and it literally took them like a whole year to acknowledge it and HoXPoX didnt even start till like late 2019.

There could have been a mini for those two OR they didnt even have to put this important story beat for both characters in an insignificant mini that people will have to hunt down if they want to read it. They should have put Betsy on the HoXPoX mission. And the reveal with the resurrection protocals would show both Kwannon and Betsy back. With Betsy saying she is now the totality of herself and Kwannon saying something sassy like Monet did.

But le sigh whats done is done. TH took wanted to tell her story that I do not think aligns with what we wanted to see for Betsy. I'm used to attitude and sexy appeal. Creativity and power feats. Being able to beat the boys up like Colossus and Wolverine.

So rant over. I hope KoX ends quickly so that we can see another writers journey for Betsy.

My critique will always be that TH does not have Betsys voice or reasoning down. IMO.

Well, people still think it was never intended for Betsy to get her butterfly back and that the only reason she now has it is because of lobbying by complaining fans.

This couldn’t be further from the truth.

If you look back through the recent Excalibur run, there were plenty of hints that they were building up for a return of the butterfly, which was to be a payoff late in the game. For example, there was cover art in earlier issues by Asrar where there were shapes that looked like flower petals or nearly-formed but not quite-formed butterflies. (That was a hint.)

If anything, the current direction shows they will not be giving in to incessant complaining from fans and are sticking with their plan for Betsy. Betsy will become who she truly is, not who everyone else wants her to be. There is a plan.

Love,
    Kwannon

BANNED

I think the reason why this thread dies down is many of the things some people complained about they just grew up accept. Marvel writers don’t take orders from fans online, lol.

Personally, I think making her Captain Britain again was great because it reconnected her to her OtherWorld heritage. I think it’s great she recreated her original body and sort of went back to her old stuff, but still kept the fighting skills. And I love Kwannon as Psylocke. Kwannon finally became a character in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I think the reason why this thread dies down is many of the things some people complained about they just grew up accept. Marvel writers don’t take orders from fans online, lol.

Personally, I think making her Captain Britain again was great because it reconnected her to her OtherWorld heritage. I think it’s great she recreated her original body and sort of went back to her old stuff, but still kept the fighting skills. And I love Kwannon as Psylocke. Kwannon finally became a character in her own right.
    Agreed. I also really like the Betsy Corps and how our Betsy went back to Otherworld to fight with them, knowing the dangers of dying there and possibly not returning. That's a trait of the Miss Braddock I know and love.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

They could just lean into the pun and give Betsy the codename Psyche (since Dani isn't using it anymore). Then we've got Psylocke and Psyche. Sounds like a miniseries to me!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    They could just lean into the pun and give Betsy the codename Psyche (since Dani isn't using it anymore). Then we've got Psylocke and Psyche. Sounds like a miniseries to me!
    Elizabeth is having too much fun being Captain Britain. She was always an adventure and she wanted to be Captain Britain in 80s. She was for a little bit until Slaymaster put out her eyes.

So she has finally gotten her wish and is leading a war in OtherWorld against Merlyn.

Elizabeth is having too much fun being Captain Britain.
    Yeah but I'm not having fun with her being Captain Britain

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sublimeclown View Post
    Yeah but I'm not having fun with her being Captain Britain
    Nothing you can do about it.

Nothing you can do about it.
    I can bitch and moan on an internet forum.

Astonishing Member

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the idea of her being Captain Britain. I even like the costume. But the execution hasn't been the best.