Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Anybody else catch issue #13 today? Wow, this story really surprised me. I loved the shout out to past stories with the appearance of Taskmaster. McKay made a good point stating that Taskmaster doesn't have to be a mercenary all the time. With all of his experience, he can be a consultant. I'm glad that McKay made the wise decision not to have another Moon Knight/Taskmaster fight again. Instead, Taskmaster has his limits. He'll target Spidey or Daredevil. But Moon Knight? This is a guy that really scares Taskmaster. And Taskmaster isn't having any of that. Rather, he tries to warn Moon Knight and tell him that he's not involved with future plans. That's a nice twist on the hero/villain dynamic.
    It is good to see Taskmaster back in that sort of a role, since that is what his character originally was. Taskmaster rarely went out and got into the fights himself -- he was the guy who trained people; whether it be his training academies for the various henchmen fodder that various villains and groups like Hydra and AIM have running around, or more significant characters getting more specialized training. The U.S. government used him to train John Walker to be the new Captain America. Taskmaster also trained other costumed heroes and villains like Diamondback, Snapdragon, etc. The fact that he was this behind-the-scenes trainer guy gave him a unique niche in the Marvel Universe and it made it all the more exciting on those occasions when he actually did get hands-on in a fight.

Somewhere along the way Marvel got away from that and started using him as the go-to mercenary character, and I think its done a disservice to Taskmaster. He's lost his unique role in the MU and getting into actual fights with the heroes more often means that he's gotten beaten more often--so its undermined some of his danger and mystique. Hopefully more writers follow MacKay's example here and pull Taskmaster out of the field more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    One of the best Taskmaster appearances..with nary a punch thrown, shield slung or arrow launched.
    Don't forget the swordplay...

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-13-2022 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I really liked this issue more than one might think for the actual action was light.
    The 3min sundial timer on the the vamps was cool.
    The acknowledgement of Midnight Man was seamlessly done while not interrupting the narrative of this issue.
    Soldier Boy is "alive" so be cool to see how he is used going forward now.
    Tigra still around after the admitted spying for T'Challa.
    Back to sessions and therapy.

Taskmaster and his refusal but admittance to other heroes he'd tangle with was interesting. He basically said "I'm old enough to know better and I've got nothing to prove".

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Jed revealed on Twitter that the two characters Tutor hired are new creations.
    I saw the reveal of these characters, Nemean and Grand Mal, and instantly did a "who are these characters"? Cause if Taskmaster isn't going to fight them then that only leaves someone(s) with 'something to prove'.

Also, is this Tutor character also a new creation by Jed?

If this vampire arc is 12 issues I'd like to see one of the following if possible: Morbius, Blade, Spitfire, Hannibal, Elsa Bloodstone or a cameo by Dracula. Dracula could even be off panel at the conclusion hearing reports of Tutor's failure or some such.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    If this vampire arc is 12 issues I'd like to see one of the following if possible: Morbius, Blade, Spitfire, Hannibal, Elsa Bloodstone or a cameo by Dracula. Dracula could even be off panel at the conclusion hearing reports of Tutor's failure or some such.
    At this point, the chances that Jed references the infamous Moon Knight Core meme are hovering around 60-65%.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I believe he means Morbius, since Blade (pretty much the only other vampire of note beside Drac himself) is busy with the Vampire Nation.

Jed revealed on Twitter that the two characters Tutor hired are new creations.
    Thanks for pointing that out bro. I'm still hoping for more Moon Knight vs. vampire action. I can envision a scene with Moon Knight fighting off this huge swarm of vampires, with shades of white contrasted with the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy Ran The Aluminum Foot View Post
    Jed is pretty fond of Taskmaster so I figured he wasn’t gonna torture him that badly. Really liked the callbacks this issue. You had all the Hutson stuff and the apparent return of Midnight Man. As far as I can tell, the guys at the end are new characters.
    Loved this issue, Sabatini really brought his A game on the art. Excited for the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    It is good to see Taskmaster back in that sort of a role, since that is what his character originally was. Taskmaster rarely went out and got into the fights himself -- he was the guy who trained people; whether it be his training academies for the various henchmen fodder that various villains and groups like Hydra and AIM have running around, or more significant characters getting more specialized training. The U.S. government used him to train John Walker to be the new Captain America. Taskmaster also trained other costumed heroes and villains like Diamondback, Snapdragon, etc. The fact that he was this behind-the-scenes trainer guy gave him a unique niche in the Marvel Universe and it made it all the more exciting on those occasions when he actually did get hands-on in a fight.

Somewhere along the way Marvel got away from that and started using him as the go-to mercenary character, and I think its done a disservice to Taskmaster. He's lost his unique role in the MU and getting into actual fights with the heroes more often means that he's gotten beaten more often--so its undermined some of his danger and mystique. Hopefully more writers follow MacKay's example here and pull Taskmaster out of the field more often.
    Yes, the callbacks to Huston's run as well as to Taskmaster's original purpose were a great way to frame this issue. Again, I'm still satisfied with Taskmaster's appearance even though he didn't throw shields, fire arrows, or swing a sword. Very clever.

Now, here's the thing; Jed McKay has not totally sold me on his Moon Knight run. There have been clever and creative instances here and there. But I still feel the series is lacking something. Maybe it's more meaningful dialogue. Perhaps the art, while dynamic, can be hard to discern at times. But there are still enough elements in the series that compel me to read every month. Hopefully, this new vampire arc could be a good thing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Don't forget the swordplay...

Perish the thought...

BANNED

Now, here's the thing; Jed McKay has not totally sold me on his Moon Knight run. There have been clever and creative instances here and there. But I still feel the series is lacking something. Maybe it's more meaningful dialogue. Perhaps the art, while dynamic, can be hard to discern at times. But there are still enough elements in the series that compel me to read every month. Hopefully, this new vampire arc could be a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Hang in, I have faith in McKay. It's a shame his Black Cat series didn't last. He has a knack of moving a character forward while remaining true to their roots.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Moon Knight to co-star in shorts of relaunched horror anthology title: Crypt of Shadows
    Release date not given but I anticipate it being October.

CryptofShadows.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Moon Knight to co-star in shorts of relaunched horror anthology title: Crypt of Shadows
    Release date not given but I anticipate it being October.

CryptofShadows.jpg
    The release date is October 26. No writers yet attached.

What did everyone think of todays. MK: Black White and Blood #3? I liked the first 2 stories both art and story. Story 1 being my favorite story of the 3, and 2 having the best art. Story 3 was an absolute mess both story and art wise.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    What did everyone think of todays. MK: Black White and Blood #3? I liked the first 2 stories both art and story. Story 1 being my favorite story of the 3, and 2 having the best art. Story 3 was an absolute mess both story and art wise.
    The first two stories were great. Of those two, I felt Zub's story to be the stronger, both in terms of story and art. I can see why many suggest him to be the next writer for the Avengers.

Story 3 confused me. It started mid-story and it didn't make clear who was the antagonist. Was it the guy with the glasses? There was a section in the middle that somewhat explained why Marc was up in a moon shaped spaceship going to the moon, but I was still confused. The art could be good, though it wasn't all the time.

For me, I'd give story 3 the benefit of the doubt and a second read through.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I couldn't read the last one. It was too confusing for me visually speaking. A pitty, honestly. I liked the first story the most. Simple, small but fun. And it had David López's art, that it's something I always enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I couldn't read the last one. It was too confusing for me visually speaking. A pitty, honestly. I liked the first story the most. Simple, small but fun. And it had David López's art, that it's something I always enjoy.
    So according to a review I read it is about Moon Knight being invited on a spaceship's maiden voyage which is to promote female astronauts and be a business venture / partnership with Jake Lockley. But the scientist behind it wants to strip the moon of its natural resources?

So according to a review I read it is about Moon Knight being invited on a spaceship's maiden voyage which is to promote female astronauts and be a business venture / partnership with Jake Lockley. But the scientist behind it wants to strip the moon of its natural resources?
    Hummmm...
    Maybe? I couldn't read half the text either.
    Seriously, that story was barely readable for me. My eyesight isn't, let's say, HD, and has a hard time dealing with, for a better word, noise (not grain) in the pictures.