Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

I vehemently dislike Vixen and John together.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I like her and Bronze Tiger together the most. I think Ben fits into her world more than John Stewart does.
    But I'm not sure if that really fits Ben, since he is more of an Martial Arts/League of Assassin Character.

He has no connection with "the Red" or Africa/Zambesi.

Like with John, they work on a team book, but I'm not sure they would make much sense outside of that.

Mari is better off with a love interest created solely for her book, as opposed to one being controlled by another office. We've seen how this can be an issue with T'Challa/Storm and Dick Grayson/Kory.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But I'm not sure if that really fits Ben, since he is more of an Martial Arts/League of Assassin Character.

Like with John, they work on a team book, but I'm not sure they would make much sense outside of that.
    Does he need either? Ben being an outsider could work in his favor since he’d make for a good audience surrogate. Not like a LI has to be connected to everything to work, Ben brings some cool ties to other properties that could be interesting, maybe he and Mari meet when he tries to save her from a League of Assassins hit squad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Mari is better off with a love interest created solely for her book, as opposed to one being controlled by another office. We've seen how this can be an issue with T'Challa/Storm and Dick Grayson/Kory.
    I’m not sure that Ben would be under another office or that anyone would care enough about him to take him away. Those two you mentioned have problems because of special circumstances (the X-Office has more power than the Avengers and the X-Writers don’t want to share, Dick is seen as a “Bat” character who needs to be “grounded” and dating an alien ruins that plus he and Babs are seen as endgame). Cool as Ben is he’s not an A-Lister and I don’t think anyone would care enough about him to yank him away from Vixen because they think he’s better off paired with someone else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mari and Bronze Tiger would be a dope pairing. As much as I liked her and John in the DCAU I ultimately don’t think that one can work long term since John is in space most of the time.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Does he need either? Ben being an outsider could work in his favor since he’d make for a good audience surrogate.
    Most of Mari's solo stories have been set somewhere in rural Africa, and that's not a typical setting for Ben.

So I was thinking, whenever DC gers pass this short hair look. I was hoping they will go a more feminine...something softer...like this...
    Tumblr_l_89370558979942.jpg

Anyway, my still goes to Jason Todd as a potential boyfriend. If John is off the list...
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-06-2022 at 05:32 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    What would be the point? When characters become gay or bi, their story seem to focus way to much on thar aspects of their life. As a gay person, I don't need that much affirmation. I'm here for action and adventure, not sexual advice.
    Which characters are you talking about?

Outside of Pride specials I haven't seen many examples where a character's sexuality dominates the title. Even WW books (with the exception of Nubia) either focus on straight romance or relegate gay relationships to the margins.

And lets face it, romance is a big part of the superhero genre. We've had two live action shows centered around Superman and Lois's romance. It's just that now, the focus is not just on straight romance but on other types of romance as well.

Ben is a street level character. Vixen may have some fantastical elements in her backstory but most of her stories tend to be grounded dealing with poacher and war lords.

Most of Mari's solo stories have been set somewhere in rural Africa, and that's not a typical setting for Ben.
    Ben is a globe trotter. He's never been limited to just one location.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    So I was thinking, whenever DC gers pass this short hair look. I was hoping they will go a more feminine...something softer...like this...
    Tumblr_l_89370558979942.jpg
    Seconding that look. I'm getting tired of the short haired look anyway.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Mari and Bronze Tiger would be a dope pairing. As much as I liked her and John in the DCAU I ultimately don’t think that one can work long term since John is in space most of the time.
    If not John then definitely Ben Turner.

Extraordinary Member

Like how Ben has been the love interest of both Vixen and Gypsy (Cindy)

When did Ben date Cindy?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I vehemently dislike Vixen and John together.
    Yeah. I recall this getting brought up in conversation the last time Marie and John as love interests were brought up in this thread. The notion of doing so comes off as mostly for the sake of heterosexually pairing up the most well-known DC Black woman with the most well-known DC Black man, aka the "easy option", which is rather frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah. I recall this getting brought up in conversation the last time Marie and John as love interests were brought up in this thread. The notion of doing so comes off as mostly for the sake of heterosexually pairing up the most well-known DC Black woman with the most well-known DC Black man, aka the "easy option", which is rather frustrating.
    I thought it was more because of their chemistry in JLU. Even if it was intended to just be a stopgap to him getting together with Shayera (maybe).

John and Mari wouldn't mesh in a non-DCAU sphere. They only worked there because they were written to be. Even then John and Shayera consistently loomed over their heads with no room to breathe so the entire idea is undermined.

As for hair Mari realistically should be switching out styles every so often. It'd be extremely fitting, I don't even think she should have one suit, makes sense someone who has worked in the fashion industry would have an array of costumes. Design-wise I can't see her sticking with one look too often. Obviously, for recognition and branding purposes the more known short hair and orange-black jumpsuit should be used. But, appearance-wise her switching it up is a missed opportunity on DC's part.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Does he need either? Ben being an outsider could work in his favor since he’d make for a good audience surrogate. Not like a LI has to be connected to everything to work, Ben brings some cool ties to other properties that could be interesting, maybe he and Mari meet when he tries to save her from a League of Assassins hit squad?

I’m not sure that Ben would be under another office or that anyone would care enough about him to take him away. Those two you mentioned have problems because of special circumstances (the X-Office has more power than the Avengers and the X-Writers don’t want to share, Dick is seen as a “Bat” character who needs to be “grounded” and dating an alien ruins that plus he and Babs are seen as endgame). Cool as Ben is he’s not an A-Lister and I don’t think anyone would care enough about him to yank him away from Vixen because they think he’s better off paired with someone else.
    I'm not sure what office Ben would fall under. He has connections to Batman and Suicide Squad but those franchises barely use him these days. Still, I'd err on the side of "better safe than sorry" and just make a love interest exclusive to Mari.