Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    When did Ben date Cindy?
    Justice League Task Force, according to wikipedia. Though the article states they were more "hints" than anything confirmed.

Which characters are you talking about?

Outside of Pride specials I haven't seen many examples where a character's sexuality dominates the title. Even WW books (with the exception of Nubia) either focus on straight romance or relegate gay relationships to the margins.
    To me, Batwoman, Green Lantern (Alan) Superman (John, not as much now) bring up the gay issue way to much. To the point, I feel like their bringing it up every issue. Now I will admit, Marvel is just as bad. Though, I like Wican and Hulkling pairing, so I give them some slack.

Ben is a street level character. Vixen may have some fantastical elements in her backstory but most of her stories tend to be grounded dealing with poacher and war lords.
    It would have to be one hell of story to make me pick Ben over John. Suicide Squad really didn't do them any favor, it was a very lopsided relationship. Vixen was always written as his support system and not a whole character.

Seconding that look. I'm getting tired of the short haired look anyway.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-07-2022 at 04:33 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Justice League Task Force, according to wikipedia. Though the article states they were more "hints" than anything confirmed.
    Weren’t Ben and Cindy living together when J’onn came to recruit her for Task Force. They were lovers at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Weren’t Ben and Cindy living together when J’onn came to recruit her for Task Force. They were lovers at the time.
    C-List living at its finest.

Last time I heard criticism about the Vixen/John pairing in JLU was on this forum and a YT comment section. It was more about how Vixen was introduced to spice up the romance between John Stewart and Hawkgirl. According to the DVD commentary with Timm, Tucker and McDuffie, they wound up liking Vixen to the point where they decided that John chooses to stay with Vixen even after knowing that he will end up with Hawkgirl at some point in the future. Warhawk made it obvious that John/Shayera were end game and that the John/Vixen romance amounted to nothing.

John's 'I won't be destiny's puppet, whatever the future holds, we'll make those decisions ourselves' were what cemented him as my favorite GL and ngl, it was one of those quotes that actually made a difference in my life.

However, I understand how if you're a Vixen fan, it does feel like she is getting short changed here. It didn't help that Derek Fridolfs who was writing the JL Beyond 2.0 comic continuation had Vixen fridged so John and Shayera can get back together and make Warhawk.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Last time I heard criticism about the Vixen/John pairing in JLU was on this forum and a YT comment section. It was more about how Vixen was introduced to spice up the romance between John Stewart and Hawkgirl. According to the DVD commentary with Timm, Tucker and McDuffie, they wound up liking Vixen to the point where they decided that John chooses to stay with Vixen even after knowing that he will end up with Hawkgirl at some point in the future. Warhawk made it obvious that John/Shayera were end game and that the John/Vixen romance amounted to nothing.

John's 'I won't be destiny's puppet, whatever the future holds, we'll make those decisions ourselves' were what cemented him as my favorite GL and ngl, it was one of those quotes that actually made a difference in my life.

However, I understand how if you're a Vixen fan, it does feel like she is getting short changed here. It didn't help that Derek Fridolfs who was writing the JL Beyond 2.0 comic continuation had Vixen fridged so John and Shayera can get back together and make Warhawk.
    What made that decision even more terrible was they could have simply had Vixen and Green Latern decide to break up amicably because they wanted different things at that point in their life - you know, the most obvious solution - then some time later, Green Lantern and Shayera just happen to get together because they happen to rekindle their old feelings.

Instead, they had Vixen murdered in a shitty way right when John was about to propose. Why? It even takes place in a flashback, so it's not for the sake of a dramatic story (and I'd still consider that a poor reason)

Astonishing Member

Yeah that was definitely a low point for Vixen fans. Probably up there with how they used Vixen in Convergence: Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Instead, they had Vixen murdered in a shitty way right when John was about to propose. Why? It even takes place in a flashback, so it's not for the sake of a dramatic story (and I'd still consider that a poor reason)
    It was kind of a bittersweet moment for me. It proved that John loved Mari but that Fate/Shadow Thief is a rapid Green Lantern and Hawkgirl fan.

Also, the writer forgot Vixen has the best "Healing Factor" in the JLU....but whatever.
    Screenshot_20220709-035437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-035451_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-035514_Chrome.jpg

Personal, I think a Green Lantern/Vixen child would be a hell of a lot more interesting than WarHawk...but maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-09-2022 at 02:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I ignore those comics when they do stupid things like that.

I loved the Vixen/GL pairing in the show, it went the usual tv trope route but it was still a pretty strong pairing that was able to rival the OTP and not just written half-assed like most relationships are when it comes to doing the same. (If you watched Arrow they broke up Olicity, had Felicity get a boyfriend who had ZERO impact. Zero personality. Like 1 scene)

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I loved the Vixen/GL pairing in the show, it went the usual tv trope route but it was still a pretty strong pairing that was able to rival the OTP and not just written half-assed like most relationships are when it comes to doing the same. (If you watched Arrow they broke up Olicity, had Felicity get a boyfriend who had ZERO impact. Zero personality. Like 1 scene)
    And then Ollie killed him .

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I kind of ignore it to. If it didn't happen on the show, it didn't happen.

I refuse to acknowledge any of the DCAU tie in comics as canon. I already strongly disliked the Beechen mini but then they chose to continue it and did that terrible Bruce/Babs miscarriage story and along with how they handled the Vixen/John/Shayera love triangle, it's like DC just wanted to take a dump on something people grew up enjoying. The whole thing felt ill thought out and unimaginative.

That said, I did enjoy Justice League Beyond 2.0, I like the Danica Williams version of Flash and I like Beyond timeline's WW's design and how they explained her absence in the future (even though some posters may disagree).

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Vixen seems to be a founding member of the JL in the Tomorrowverse. I would love to get a movie focused on her, she only gets a brief cameo at the start, but the animation style really makes her powers look cool.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Vixen seems to be a founding member of the JL in the Tomorrowverse. I would love to get a movie focused on her, she only gets a brief cameo at the start, but the animation style really makes her powers look cool.
    They're really skipping ahead with the Tomorrowverse League!

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    It was kind of a bittersweet moment for me. It proved that John loved Mari but that Fate/Shadow Thief is a rapid Green Lantern and Hawkgirl fan.

Also, the writer forgot Vixen has the best "Healing Factor" in the JLU....but whatever.
    Screenshot_20220709-035437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-035451_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709-035514_Chrome.jpg

Personal, I think a Green Lantern/Vixen child would be a hell of a lot more interesting than WarHawk...but maybe that's just me.
    I didn't read a lot of the tie-ins for the DCAU (outside of that comic from the early 00s) so finding this out like three years ago was disappointing.

Not only does it disrespect Mari, but it also undermines John and Shayera anyway. Shayera is basically the second choice, they could've did that much more tastefully but honestly its not even in-show so it can be ignored.

Hopefully, the Tomorrowverse gives Mari something good. Don't think we'll get much of her in Beware My Power but she's overdue for her own DTV.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom