Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like this redesign for Jace. Jon and Yara, a little less (Yara looks weird in those colors and stars are more of a Donna thing).
    Yara’s reminds me of Donna’s Troia uniform.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Yara’s reminds me of Donna’s Troia uniform.
    Hard same...

Jace took a blow to the ego after last issue and this one is basically him recovering from that. One trait about Jace that sticks out is he lacks Bruce’s cool head, something you can attribute to his inexperience and youth. Failure really affects him. He lashes out pretty hard in the beginning by beating the hell out of someone the way he failed to do with Manray, and seriously considers just letting the crooked cops go execute Manray. Ridley has found a nice pace because by the end of the issue Jace has managed to somewhat resolve his issues by reaching out to Hadiyah. I like Hadiyah, as opposed to Bruce who is a man of culture Jace doesn’t know squat about art nor is he that great a detective, so she is able to help him find a lead thanks to her knowledge of art history. Hopefully we see more of their relationship and I get a feeling she can see the real reason Jace came to her for help.

The ending is interesting because of how it’s going to complicate Jace’s already fraught relationship with the police. If Jace loses the support of the mayor that is going to screw him over. Don’t think he’s ready to fight both the cops and the crooks.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jace took a blow to the ego after last issue and this one is basically him recovering from that. One trait about Jace that sticks out is he lacks Bruce’s cool head, something you can attribute to his inexperience and youth. Failure really affects him. He lashes out pretty hard in the beginning by beating the hell out of someone the way he failed to do with Manray, and seriously considers just letting the crooked cops go execute Manray. Ridley has found a nice pace because by the end of the issue Jace has managed to somewhat resolve his issues by reaching out to Hadiyah. I like Hadiyah, as opposed to Bruce who is a man of culture Jace doesn’t know squat about art nor is he that great a detective, so she is able to help him find a lead thanks to her knowledge of art history. Hopefully we see more of their relationship and I get a feeling she can see the real reason Jace came to her for help.

The ending is interesting because of how it’s going to complicate Jace’s already fraught relationship with the police. If Jace loses the support of the mayor that is going to screw him over. Don’t think he’s ready to fight both the cops and the crooks.
    I like this current differentiation of Jace's Batman. Him taking his failures hard is actually pretty realistic, particularly given being a superhero/vigilante can be high stakes and is very personal even when it isn't high stakes; it's cool to be able to see that in a Batman.

Mighty Member

Has Jace's series dwelved into what it means to be a black vigilante such as how that frames his relationship with the police?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Has Jace's series dwelved into what it means to be a black vigilante such as how that frames his relationship with the police?
    Kind of, in how people treat him considering he’s not “The Batman”....not to mention the police commissioner was a racist who had a few things to say about Jace.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Another great issue IMO. I love how human Ridley is making Jace. His feeling of failure. His humility. Recognizing he doesn't know everything and that he needs others like Vol and Hadiyah. Being married to an artist and having an art critic for a father-in-law, I should have known who Man Ray was in real life but I didn't. Kind of embarassing. I love how Vol pointed out to Jace that his being Batman affects the people around him. Like people suspecting him of laundering money because he's Russian and looking to buy real estate in cash.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Jace’s race has come up a few times and they’ve touched on it, but it hasn’t been a serious focus just yet. The commissioner was a racist and Jace’s race is definitely shown to affect him and his world, but they haven’t focused on systemic racism or what have you yet. I suspect Ridley wants to first get Jace set up: flesh out his supporting cast (family, LI, crew), start building a Rogues Gallery for him, and make sure to differentiate Jace from Bruce. Once that’s all done you may see more focus on how Jace’s race affects his superheroing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

I AM BATMAN #12
    Written by JOHN RIDLEY
    Art and cover by CHRISTIAN DUCE
    Variant cover by DAVID BALDEON
    1:25 variant cover by JORGE MOLINA
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 8/9/22
    DC’s most inscrutable hero arrives in New York City to task Jace Fox’s Batman with helping them solve a mystery of the past. At the same time, Tiffany Fox continues on her path to see who could be New York—and DC’s—hero of the future.

I'm hoping it's the Question.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Yeah, other than Bruce, the only person I can think of it being is the Question.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Either him or Phantom Stranger feel like safe bets

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Either him or Phantom Stranger feel like safe bets
    Phantom Stranger would be so random but funny because I just imagine Jace going WTF all the time .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Phantom Stranger would be so random but funny because I just imagine Jace going WTF all the time .
    Yeah I say let Jace meet someone crazy. Another good one could be Detective Chimp, Chimps a member of the Justice League so to speak and how funny would it be to see our new Batman respond to something as weird as a talking closed monkey detective who carries a magic sword
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I say let Jace meet someone crazy. Another good one could be Detective Chimp, Chimps a member of the Justice League so to speak and how funny would it be to see our new Batman respond to something as weird as a talking closed monkey detective who carries a magic sword
    Let's see how far this "real" Batman can go .