Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think Ridley will be able to write as long, as he wants, he's a pretty big name, and DC already didn't treat him the best way, considering, that originally he was promised to write the main book.
    The question is, what's going to happen with series and character after he leaves.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    No, not really. But let’s keep the energy positive.
    Yeah, I think it is. Because it's basically what you said: it didn't until it did.

And you were being pedantic. But no worries.

And the energy is always positive. And I keep it real too. Positive and real.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I think Ridley will be able to write as long, as he wants, he's a pretty big name, and DC already didn't treat him the best way, considering, that originally he was promised to write the main book.
    The question is, what's going to happen with series and character after he leaves.
    Yeah, that's not really how things work.

But yeah, hopefully someone will still use him.

Priest would be awesome. He loves Batman, but they'll probably never put him on a main Bat-book.

He would write Tiffany excellent too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Actually they never met, Tynion just had Jace randomly show up in a group shot at the end of Fear State, but Jace has met none of the Batfamily.
    I don't know how/if Future State factors in but Jace did team up with Nightwing. Katana is also his teacher, though her being a member of the Batfamily is debatable. Can't recall if he's met any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post
    Yeah, I think it is. Because it's basically what you said: it didn't until it did.

And you were being pedantic. But no worries.

And the energy is always positive. And I keep it real too. Positive and real.

Yeah, that's not really how things work.

But yeah, hopefully someone will still use him.
    It’s supposed to be an Appreciation Thread. All you do is talk about how the character “doesn’t sell” and criticize him being Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I would love to see Priest write Jace but he’d never do it. He wants Bruce. Maybe Brandon Thomas could be a good successor? He didn’t fare too well with Jackson but Batman might be a better fit for him given his work with Signal and the Outsiders. I believe Ridley will last until issue 25 at least and then maybe there will be a handoff. Or maybe not, hard to say what DC’s plans are under the new Zaslav regime.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’d like to see John Ridley get to 50 issues. Can’t see anyone replacing him just yet… The long time that Bendis was on Miles, that’s how far I think he could go with the character.

And I don’t think David Zaslav really cares about the comics. Especially since all the old characters still have their books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    It’s supposed to be an Appreciation Thread. All you do is talk about how the character “doesn’t sell” and criticize him being Batman.
    Yeah, I appreciate the character of Jace.

And yeah, the comic doesn't sell. And I think it's dumb that he dresses like Batman.

Everything else though I like... love even. And I talk about that.

You were the first person to question me with the little snarky...

Kinda defeats the point of the character being “Batman that’s the opposite of Bruce Wayne” if he’s not Batman.

Because if Batman is a symbol, it’s more meaningful that somebody who’s had the opposite upbringing and motivation can shape the mantle.

That’s what I read on MySpace.
    And yeah, as I've explained, Jace dressing like Batman is not important to me, and it's the least interesting thing to me.

But I assume you and I have that understanding now.

And the other poster was the one who dragged up a post from three weeks ago, and it was a comment that meant nothing. And was a set up for a thought on Jace and something that I was joking about, but was kind of interesting to me.

And there was a page and exchange in issue #12 between Jace and Renee that gave me a bit of pause. Like, "Wait... what now?" And I'm sure John Ridley is going to do nothing with it, but it was a little like... "Huh, that's curious, because I was just joking about that."

Anyway, this is not a big deal. And really kind of a boring topic. Everything is what it is. And I was just responding to someone who had responded to a post that I had made last month.

So we can move on unless you want to continue to dwell on it.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I would love to see Priest write Jace but he’d never do it. He wants Bruce. Maybe Brandon Thomas could be a good successor? He didn’t fare too well with Jackson but Batman might be a better fit for him given his work with Signal and the Outsiders. I believe Ridley will last until issue 25 at least and then maybe there will be a handoff. Or maybe not, hard to say what DC’s plans are under the new Zaslav regime.
    Yeah, I thought Priest said that he didn't really want to write Black characters anymore because he didn't want to be pigeonholed.

And now I see that he's tuned around and created the fun and awesome Malik White in his Black Adam book. So hey, I guess he may have had a change of heart.

What I really want from Priest is for him to create and write a new character for the new Milestone books. That would be terrific.

For Jace though I would like for any potential new writer to be someone Black. And someone obviously with talent too who is Black.

Brandon Thomas is just kind of okay to me. And I wouldn't put him on the level of John Ridley or Priest. Of course, few comic book writers period are on the level of those two, in my opinion.

What may happen is John Ridley will do 6 issue limited series with Jace in the future. I'd be fine with that.

Who knows what'll happen though...
    Last edited by Isaac Lawrence; 08-09-2022 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Priest is The Question

I’d like to see John Ridley get to 50 issues. Can’t see anyone replacing him just yet… The long time that Bendis was on Miles, that’s how far I think he could go with the character.
    I hope so man. Or at least, relaunch it as Batman & Whatever Tiff goes by, lol.

All Facts! And it’s nauseating…

Yeah, I appreciate the character of Jace.

And yeah, the comic doesn't sell. And I think it's dumb that he dresses like Batman.

And the other poster was the one who dragged up a post from three weeks ago, and it was a comment that meant nothing.
    And repetitive! And apparently means nothing, over and over again. Man up, admit ya sh!t, and we’ll all move on. Fair enough?
    #MagnetoWasRight

Yeah, it is incredibly nauseating. Nobody else except the people who’ve been ragging on Jace since 2021 even want to engage in the topic… Moving on from this sales stuff would be much appreciated, I’d suggest making another thread entirely. Since this is supposed to be about appreciating the character.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I thought Priest said that he didn't really want to write Black characters anymore because he didn't want to be pigeonholed.

Priest issue is THIS-do not ONLY offer him black characters. That was his issue that despite all the books he has done with white characters including Conan and Batman-the first books he get offered are black ones.

His resume says he should be offered more than Cyborg.

Also if one READS his books-he is writing black characters. Vampirella has more black characters in it under him than the previous 50 years.

DC had a shot to let Priest do Batman (After Tom King) and all he got offered was an editor gig.

And why would he do Jace when folks do NOTHING but harp on sales and mysteriously become fans of characters if something that black writer does to them in a book. As Green Lantern and Aqualad and Aquamen and ANY book with Duke Thomas in it have shown. And even Black Adam as folks dropped the book over Malik.

If that is all we are going to keep seeing-why bother?

Sales are not stopping Jace from getting an action figure and a statute. Meaning someone is looking beyond comic book sales that don't matter.

Because we can go down the line of low sellers that have MORE than some guys who "sell".

Yeah, it is incredibly nauseating. Nobody else except the people who’ve been ragging on Jace since 2021 even want to engage in the topic… Moving on from this sales stuff would be much appreciated, I’d suggest making another thread entirely. Since this is supposed to be about appreciating the character.
    Agreed! Let’s appreciate what we have, while we still got it!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And why would he do Jace when folks do NOTHING but harp on sales and mysteriously become fans of characters if something that black writer does to them in a book. Sales are not stopping Jace from getting an action figure and a statute. Meaning someone is looking beyond comic book sales that don't matter.
    +1… And don’t forget the candy bar promotion, Jace doing good for himself, lol.
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 08-09-2022 at 09:44 PM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

A bit of POSITIVE sales news, I Am Batman #12 seems to be doing good with Digital sales! The Next Batman’s got some real staying power with the Comixology kids! (Sandman is dominating the rest. Great show.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    And repetitive! And apparently means nothing, over and over again. Man up, admit ya sh!t, and weÂ’ll all move on. Fair enough?
    You're the one who dragged up one of my post from three week ago, not me. You were the one being pedantic.

And I wasn't even talking about it anymore. And the only reason I brought up sales was to explain why I thought that they should stop having Jace dress like Batman because it wasn't selling well, and that they should try something else. Because to me, Jace dressed as Batman is not the only reason he should exist. I like him in spite of that.

Either way, I agreed with you on your post -- that Gotham Future State series didn't sell better than I AM BATMAN until it did. But you wouldn't take yes for an answer.

And yes, I ridiculed you with my response. But that's only because I thought your post was ridiculous.

And I see that you've never posted in this thread before, yet your first post is to drag up one of mine from last month.

Anyway, whatever. Moving on...

And how about this, just don't respond to any of my posts if you don't like what I say?

How about that? Sound good? Because it's very easy to do. Superboy-Prime doesn't really do it anymore (until you showed up), maybe you can give it a try too. Just ignore me, and I'll do the same.

Priest issue is THIS-do not ONLY offer him black characters. That was his issue that despite all the books he has done with white characters including Conan and Batman-the first books he get offered are black ones.

His resume says he should be offered more than Cyborg.

Also if one READS his books-he is writing black characters. Vampirella has more black characters in it under him than the previous 50 years.

DC had a shot to let Priest do Batman (After Tom King) and all he got offered was an editor gig.

And why would he do Jace when folks do NOTHING but harp on sales and mysteriously become fans of characters if something that black writer does to them in a book. As Green Lantern and Aqualad and Aquamen and ANY book with Duke Thomas in it have shown. And even Black Adam as folks dropped the book over Malik.

If that is all we are going to keep seeing-why bother?
    Yeah, I honestly don't care if Priest writes Jace or not.

But if I were to pick someone other than John Ridley, then Christopher Priest would be my first choice, because I know he's awesome.

But it's not a federal case or anything. It's not that important of an issue to me.

And there are people who dropped Black Adam over Malik?

I guess I should't be surprised. That's why Priest didn't want it out there until the issue shipped. And good thing they made it a limited series.

And yeah, what I would like to see Priest write is a new character that he created, and I'd like to see that character in the Milestone universe. That's what I want from Priest; and I want new characters in the Milestone universe.

And maybe have him create a Batman-type character for Milestone. They don't really have one of those. And it would be cool to me to see what he would come up with... I'd read it in a heartbeat.

Or he can take over ICON & ROCKET. I liked his STEEL run. I'd like to see how he writes Raquel and Icon interacting.

I'd like to see John Ridley do something in the Milestone universe too. A new creation. Or maybe revamp Jason Fisher from his THE AMERICAN WAY series and bring him over to Milestone.

Sales are not stopping Jace from getting an action figure and a statute. Meaning someone is looking beyond comic book sales that don't matter.

Because we can go down the line of low sellers that have MORE than some guys who "sell".
    Yes, I know.

Outside of the super-hero comic book market things are vastly different.

Priest wrote about that 20 years ago...

4. the right product, the wrong market

Comics have never successfully penetrated the African American market, so the numbers don't encourage the major companies to pursue what is, statistically, a dead end. I see that as more economics than racism. There's just not a viable enough audience to sustain black-themed comic books, and that is the watery grave that awaits all "black" books until the major companies finally learn how to market to audiences outside of their traditional comic shops.

Sean "P Diddy" Combs is about as untalented as they come, and he makes millions if not billions per year. There's SO MUCH MONEY out there in the minority community, but to go after it, Marvel and DC and everybody else is really going to have to reinvent themselves, change the way they do business and operate way, way outside of their traditional orbit. It would help if they'd actually hire some minorities and consultants on distribution channels for minority-focused products.

Until they make a real effort with this, "black" books, "minority" books and female books (other than the gross T&A variety) are doomed out of the gate.

Comics, as we know them, have, for 65 years, been produced by middle class whites for middle class whites. There's greater potential sales in the Latino community alone than in the entirety of our known distribution channels combined. One real Latino hit would, potentially, outsell everything on the racks if it were *good,* if it didn't insult the intelligence of the community it proposes to entertain, and if the companies could figure out how to get that book into the distribution channels that service that community.
    So yeah, we're in strong agreement on this.

And I agree with you on pretty much everything you say on the topic, except on that "Black Girl Magic" stuff.

That's like, "Whatever... that's no big deal. It's targeted at young Black girls, I have no problem with any of that stuff."

Anyway, yeah, no, we're in strong agreement on all of this stuff.

And I guess back to appreciating Jace before someone jumps on me...

I love this variant cover to I AM BATMAN #8, by Mateus Manhanini:

That's kind of cool.

It’s interesting how much focus Ridley is giving the relationship between Jace and the police. The last arc and the current one heavily focus on the politics within the department, and Kennan is clearly becoming a long term problem for Jace and Chubbs. I think that attention helps the book maintain a “Year One” kind of vibe, as opposed to Bruce who is an accepted (if not always liked) figure in Gotham, the cops in NYC still view the “masks” as interlopers in “their turf”.

My hope is that Ridley gets the issue number to really focus on the cleaning up of the NYPD. GPD typically goes from 99% corrupt to 25% corrupt overnight once Gordan gets the Commissioner gig. If Ridley is setting up Chubbs to be Jace’s “Gordan” I’m hoping that an effort to reform the NYPD will be a plot line that maybe runs over the entire course of Ridley’s run. Ending his run in a place where Jace and Chubbs have cleaned up both super-crime and the cops would be a nice capstone to the run given Ridley’s clear interest in policing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s interesting how much focus Ridley is giving the relationship between Jace and the police. The last arc and the current one heavily focus on the politics within the department, and Kennan is clearly becoming a long term problem for Jace and Chubbs. I think that attention helps the book maintain a “Year One” kind of vibe, as opposed to Bruce who is an accepted (if not always liked) figure in Gotham, the cops in NYC still view the “masks” as interlopers in “their turf”.

My hope is that Ridley gets the issue number to really focus on the cleaning up of the NYPD. GPD typically goes from 99% corrupt to 25% corrupt overnight once Gordan gets the Commissioner gig. If Ridley is setting up Chubbs to be Jace’s “Gordan” I’m hoping that an effort to reform the NYPD will be a plot line that maybe runs over the entire course of Ridley’s run. Ending his run in a place where Jace and Chubbs have cleaned up both super-crime and the cops would be a nice capstone to the run given Ridley’s clear interest in policing.
    I like that. Whitaker seems to be the person becoming a new Question, too, so Adriana Chubb being the new Commissioner fits.