Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb If you could revise a Wonder character's origin

If you could change anything about the current origins of your favorite Wonder Woman characters, what would you do?

For me it would be:

Nubia: I dislike how the current retcon has her being much older than Diana. I'd establish that she was born at the same time as Diana but in Man's World. She'd be the princess of an isolationist modern-day island kingdom who is unjustly killed by a usurper. Nubia would have been resurrected by the Well of Souls on the day Diana first left Paradise Island.
    Their trajectories would mirror each other's in a scheme by Ares to create division on Paradise Island. He would have her retain the memories of her previous life so that she would question the Amazon's privileges and destroy Themyscira from within while Diana was away.
    Breaking away from his manipulations, she would instead become a respected champion of the Amazons and would eventually unite with Wonder Woman to defeat Ares once Diana found her way back home.

Donna: Rescued by a young Diana from a shipwreck when Donna was a toddler and Diana still hadn't left the island. She'd spend her childhood in Themyscira and would eventually be granted powers by the Titans of Myth before becoming Wonder Girl and joining her sister in Man's World.

Artemis: I'd ignore the recent American origin and make her either Egyptian or Middle Eastern.

Cassie: I'd reestablish Zeus as her father and bring back her aunt Strife as a recurring antagonist.

Yara: She should have been born and raised in Brazil. As with Artemis, not every character needs to have roots in the US. Her story would remain mostly the same, but instead of travelling to the Esquecida from the US, she'd have lived her life in a large Brazilian city like Manaus, Sao Paulo or Rio before discovering her connection to the Esquecida tribe.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Nubia: I'd have Historia be the basis for the Amazons in general. For Nubia, I'd rework the Perez era "Hippolyta was pregnant in her previous life" stuff for Philippus. So Nubia's unborn soul is the hidden fifth member of the tribe of Demeter; once Philippus recognizes her inner desire for her child, she actualizes her pregnancy. She goes into labor during the battle with the Gods, and gives birth once they are on the island. Nubia takes her first breath the same instant Hera turns the clay into Diana. Since Philippus would go on to be Hippolyta's wife, Diana and Nuba would be step-sisters.

Also some nice symmetry with the goddesses who create them: two sisters (Hera and Demeter) create two step sisters (Diana and Nubia). Nubia's lioness familiar, Selene, would act as Philippus's familiar until the baby is born.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Nubia: Daughter of Antiope. Born and raised as the immortal Princess of the Bana-Mighdall. As destiny would have it, her birth would coincide with Dianas "birth". With majority of the bana not being immortal, she grew up seeing her sisters grow old and die.

Donna: "Sister" to Diana. Donna is one of the last of the Titan seeds. When she was little, they were under attack from Dark Angel and Donnas "mother" whisked her off to Earth and with her last dying breath, integrated her into the memories of the Amazons as Hippolyta's 2nd child. Adopted and believed to be rescued from a nearby shipwreck of Themiscryia. (basically ripping off Dawns origin from Buffy)

Artemis: Born and raised amongst the Bana. She is one of their best warriors and current friend of Nubia before befriending Diana as a rival.

Hmm...For Diana and Nubia id use the clay origin for both of them. But none of that 'dark clay' instead, Philipus and Hippolyta molded the two from clay together, for they were already a couple. Two children, shaped in their own image.

Cassie Bring back the Zeus father origin.

Deva, I'd make her actually care about Titans in general and not just her creators. Thus Circe and Donna('cause Titans of Myth story was best Donna origin) would be people Deva talks to because she sees them as family.

Oh also, a teen Titan showing up to annoy the Teen Titans would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Hmm...For Diana and Nubia id use the clay origin for both of them. But none of that 'dark clay' instead, Philipus and Hippolyta molded the two from clay together, for they were already a couple. Two children, shaped in their own image.

Cassie Bring back the Zeus father origin.
    Okayyyyy! I love the making 'Lili and 'Poli a couple and having the twins be the product of their love!!! #GENIUS!

As for me, boot the changes wrought by Flashturd and New Poopy-2.

Like, honestly. You aren't going to top the epicness of Artemis' origin nor the audaciousness pf Cassies Byrne origin and the Zeus reveal added by Rucka. And Donnas history is simply too rich and layered to throw away. The Dark Angel thing enables literally everything to stand as-is and is easily the most dyna,ic and epic origin ever.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 08-22-2023 at 07:55 AM.

* Diana - Original clay origin.

* Donna - An orphaned girl adopted by Hippolyta.

* Nubia - Philippus's daughter reincarnated through the Well of Souls.

Astonishing Member

Not exactly a 'revision' per se but this has long been my pet theory when it comes to separating the 'Golden Age'/JSA Wonder Woman from the 'Modern Age'/JLA Wonder Woman in the current timeline...

Diana's originally born as the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus, and goes on to become the Golden Age Wonder Woman during WW2 and beyond. Then, at some point, she's 'destroyed' and reverted back to the clay on Paradise Island (basically what happened to her at the end of COIE). Then, decades later, Hippolyta moulds a child out of clay who is then brought back to life by the Gods, and Diana is 'reborn' and grows up, possibly with no memories of her 'previous' life at first, and becomes the Modern Age Wonder Woman.

The Steve Trevor situation is trickier. I think the Gods resurrect Steve in the modern era and have him crashland on Themyscera again as part of some effort to manipulate/motivate Diana.

Ironically I created the thread and forgot to mention Diana herself.

I don’t think there’s any instance where the Zeus origin should be accepted. She shouldn’t have her power and importance so closely connected to a male figure.
    I’d bring back the clay origin across all media.
    I also think she should be a contemporary of Superman and Batman, so in the main DCU she would have left Paradise Island 20-15 years ago.
    Earth-2 is where I’d keep her WWII adventures. There’s a reason DC has a multiverse, not everything can fit neatly in the same continuity and that’s ok. E2 would be the Earth where heroes have been uninterruptedly active since the 30s.
    The main DCU would have had a JSA who was forced to disband in the 50s and a recent resurgence of superheroes after the Trinity’s debuts.

"...I'm Major Steve Trevor's niece..." Drusilla, Wonder Woman TV series (1975)

For years, I have stood on my head, wondering why such a simple line as that, ..after her up-bringing on Paradise Island, ..couldn't tie-up Donna's return or debut in Man's World, where she eventually joins the Titans!

Any revision of Donna's origin that recalls the simplicity of Marv Wolfman's first origin for her - saved by Wonder Woman and raised by Amazons - works for me. That aside, I would also like to see Donna tied to someone in Diana's Man's World life, like Steve or Etta, ..as with Drusilla on Lynda's TV show. Donna never needed the Stacys or a new adoptive family for "Who Is Donna Troy?". Making Donna the adoptive daughter of Steve's, Etta's or (their rarely seen boss) General Darnell's families ..would have been a way of keeping her close enough to Diana for fan-satisfyingly recurring adventures, ..but distant enough to avoid Donna-overkill. A connection with either Steve or Darnell's family would have given Donna access to mankind's darkest and strangest, X-Filesy secrets. What a cool differentiation from Supergirl or Batgirl that'd have been!

And what a great launch-pad for an adult Donna's photojournalism and global justice interests, as an Amazon AND an American! A motivation, all her own, and distinct from Diana's! Oh well...

Anywa-aay, ..lotsa' great ideas from all of you, for re-imagining Donna's and Nubia's origins! Bravo ..and great thread idea, Factor.

My fantasy Donna 'Secret Origins' thing is over here... The New, Revised Secret Files Of Donna Troy
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-24-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I'd also keep some of Donna's biological relatives alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

I'd also keep some of Donna's biological relatives alive.

Cheetah - scrap Urzkartaga and replace him with Mafdet, Egyptian goddess of justice, judgment, and execution who was associated with cheetahs. I like the feminist angle of Diana helping Barbara overcome Urzkartaga's curse, but I think using a legitimate god from an ancient culture would make for a more compelling origin. And since Athena is usually one of Diana's main patrons, it adds for some interesting potential plots about what constitutes justice and judgment.

Giganta - just have her be a freakin' gorilla who was evolved into a woman. It's what Marston did with her, and that campy absurdity works best when embracing it. If that's out of the question, then just have her be a big buff woman who can grow and works as a mercenary. You don't need to have some grandiose origin or motivation for this iconic character.

Diana - I'd revise her origin back to her original one to cut the stain of Zeus out of her. She doesn't need a dad, dude.

Fantastic Member

I'd have The Oddfellows always be a part of (WW comic book canon) Steve's close friends unit. I love those guys.