Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Default Bruce Banner, The Incredible Hulk Appreciation 2022

Didn't find one yet; so I'll start with Keown's first issue....

Incredible Hulk #367
    “Countdown Madman”

Cover Date: March 1990
    Sale Date: January 16th, 1990
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Dale Keown
    Inker: Marie Severin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Leader, Riot Squad members Hotshot and Jailbait, Phil Sterns
    Villain: Madman
    Synopsis: An emaciated and nearly-comatose Hulk sits in the Leader’s laboratory, conserving as much strength and stamina as possible. The Leader believes the brute dead, so he and Hotshot and Jailbait leave the room. The Hulk stirs, and in a rare moment, calls Banner for help in solving this mystery. He tries hacking into the Leader’s computer system, but is unable to guess a password. A moment of clarity hits when he recalls the Leader’s true name – Sam Sterns – and makes the connection to Phil Sterns from the Yucca Flats lab. The Leader, Jailbait and Hotshot return, and the Hulk takes them down with a weakened yet effective hand-clap. He questions the Leader on his relationship to Phil; they’re brothers and we find out that Phil was a great admirer of Banner’s, yet was a clearly average and forgettable student. Madman was there to help Phil through it and the rest we know (at least at this point). The Hulk isn’t sure on how truthful the Leader is being and he counters it with revealing Betty’s location in Darien, Connecticut. The Hulk agrees, and the Leader transports him to Phil’s apartment. He ends up finding a hidden staircase, which leads him to Madman’s lair. There’s minutes left to sunrise, and the Hulk has no desire to fight, he just wants the antidote. This angers Madman, and he morphs into a giant, muscular creature and begins to thrash the brute. The Hulk is barely able to make a comeback and with 4 minutes left, we find out that Phil and Madman are one and the same. Turns out Phil experimented on himself in hopes of gaining power like the Hulk, but it only fractured his mind and mutated his body. There’s a power struggle, and Phil reveals the antidote’s location. This angers Madman, who mentally kills Phil Sterns completely. There’s barely a minute left to go, and the Hulk has now poisoned Madman. They then spend the next few seconds fighting over the antidote. But even this close to the transformation, it still will not pierce the Hulk’s skin. He has to time it perfectly as Banner’s form takes shape for it to take effect…and he succeeds. Banner stands victorious and Madman pleads for help. Banner walks across the room and leaves the antidote out of reach, replying that “Your countdown has begun” and quietly leaves the lab…leaving Madman to die.
    Commentary: Welcome Dale Keown! Piggy-backing on the commentary from last issue, PAD felt sorry for Dale coming into the story with an emaciated Hulk and having Severin ink it. Wasn’t really his fault, no clue on how much time Keown had to pencil the book after Purves quit. I think Keown said he had a weekend to finish this issue. But damn, did it look cool.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 01-01-2022 at 07:59 AM.

We kind of had a similar visual with Savage a while back.

Of course given the relationship revealed in #50 isn't Bruce technically now also a relative of Madman?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Happy New Year to the Incredible Hulk and his fans .

I read the first issue of Immortal Hulk a few days back and uh... holy ****. That was a good as an opening issue to a story I've ever read. Gonna be the first comic book story I read in 2022

Happy New Year lads

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Happy New Year, Bruce!

Here's hoping you survive Cates & Co.!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm taking advantage of the sale to get PAD Hulk. Got four so far.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Happy new year! Hoping for some good surprises for Hulk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I read the first issue of Immortal Hulk a few days back and uh... holy ****. That was a good as an opening issue to a story I've ever read. Gonna be the first comic book story I read in 2022
    You’re in for a wild ride man.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Hulk #368
    “Natural Selection”

Cover Date: April 1990
    Sale Date: February 20th, 1990
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Sam Kieth
    Inkers: Sam Kieth and Kelly Jones
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Doc Samson
    Villain: Mr. Hyde
    Synopsis: Not a whole lot to it, lots of talk and psychobabble, but in a nutshell, Bruce Banner eludes Doc Samson and a squad of soldiers by stowing away on a train, which leads to a confrontation with Mr. Hyde, who is also hiding in one of the cars. His actions cause the transformation before sundown and it’s now revealed that the reason the Hulk comes out at night is because Banner is ashamed of what this Hulk represents.
    Commentary: I have to dig up that old issue of Wizard, but apparently Sam Kieth was in the running to take over as artist before Keown won out. I’m glad Keown won out, for myself, I can only handle Kieth in small doses. Although that final panel on page 24 screams McFarlane…

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Not sure what to make of the latest She-Hulk rumors..

spoilers:

- Bruce will be in Prof. Hulk mode throughout the run, appearing at the end of the first episode
    - 4th wall breaks start slow and devolve into her stopping the episode and talking with Kevin Feige
    - Skaar will be introduced
    - DD and She-Hulk hook up.
    - Jen is friendly with Abomination
    - Leader possibly reintroduced and leads a bunch of incels.
    end of spoilers

So, um, yeah.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post

spoilers:

- Bruce will be in Prof. Hulk mode throughout the run, appearing at the end of the first episode
    - 4th wall breaks start slow and devolve into her stopping the episode and talking with Kevin Feige
    end of spoilers

So, um, yeah.
    I'm okay with most of those... but I do have some questions/concerns about the last two.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I need to get my LCS and get this. Was out with Covid so I'm sure my pull-box is a heap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers

So, um, yeah.
    Ugh.............
    I was hoping they would do something more with Hulk than have him be stuck as Prof Hulk but unfortunately that's not the case....

Also for the love of god............ stop following current social, media, political trends... 4 years ago most ppl on the internet didn't even know what "incel" meant, now we have Leader the best Hulk villain, a genius mastermind... being devolved into some loser that leads a group of virgins that hate women?????????????

Jesus Christ....

Sounds like She-Hulk will be cringe lol