Page 31 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Hey all. Just wanted to say that I've been reading Ewing's Immortal Hulk series. I'm up to around issues 30ish and all I have to say is................wow. I haven't been this enraptured in a comic book story since, well, since ever honestly. After each issue I just need to read the next. It's that good!

I say all of these compliments because they are in contrast to my initial opinions concerning the title. When it first came out, there was a ton of buzz for the title, but in ways that didn't sit well with me. Body horror this, dark elements that, The One Below All is the ultimate evil in the Marvel Unverse, Hulk parts in jars, I felt that wasn't for me. I'd prefer my Incredible Hulk heroic, not dark. I didn't need any disturbing stuff in my life.

Reading it now, however, I'm appreciating the themes. Yes, it's body horror monsters and Hulk parts in jars. It's Devil Hulks being cruel and Harpie saying she's nothing but anger and that she's Betty's real self. It's Hulk confronting and highlighting human greed and environmental destruction. Yes, it's dark, but it isn't that depressing. Moments make me think and stick with me, in a good way. I'm not up all night with insomnia because of the latest issue.

I quickly glanced through the comments here, and have an idea of what might happen. Still, I'm very much looking forward to how it will end.

Oh yeah, on a side note I read the latest Thor vs. Hulk issue. I'm liking that as well. Nice contrast between Hulk and Thor and who's in control of what.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I think it shifted more from the horror thing (although there were still gross-out transformations and gore) to more of embracing the Hulk's mythology in it's second year. Betty, Samson, Rick and "Joe" were brought back in one issue after another.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interesting theory.

I wonder if Cates himself has really considered all this.

But I hope that the Titan reveal isn't something underwhelming.
    Thanks, I don't necessarily believe Cates and Ewing worked out something between the two but it does appear they have talked given some of the similarities between both titles. Especially if they were both at Marvel retreats and were both listening to ideas being bounced in the room.

Regardless, to me its pretty clear the eye thing is intentional and reminiscent of when Brock got the Uni Power. It's likely a visual shortcut to showing power, but given the close proximity of Hulk and Thors eyes and one opening and the closing makes me think Cates is setting up a reason for their contact battles over the years likely ending in a light beats dark type scenario.

Anyways, I saw this interesting idea someone posted back in January:
    https://screenrant.com/king-black-th...k-fear-itself/

Btw, any idea what Cates means when he says "A creature... reborn. Set free from a cage made from his reflecton. From his shadow. From the only man he knew as friend. Only to face the wrath of a god. And the celestial judgement of a hundred thousand exploding stars."

So, reborn (Titan).. set free from a cage made from his reflection/his shadow (Hulk is free from the cage Banner places him in).. but here's the confusing part. "From the only man he knew as friend" I can't see this referring to Stark or Thor (especially since it immediately references Thor in the next line).. and the only man Hulk knew as friend would be Rick (I can't see Hulk seeing Bruce as friend either)

The only way I can make sense of it is if the narration is Thor. (even if it's written in omniscient narration) It says he is the only witness to what happens next. So that would mean Thor sees Bruce as the only man he knew as friend?! He's never been particularly that close and I'd put Cap or Stark way before Bruce. So when the caption reads "It is too much." could it be saying Thor having second thoughts about essentially attacking an innocent creature? Is Thor doing something here? Maybe Hulk's eyes just been burnt out instead of turning dark? Who knows, hard to judge off a small preview.

Maybe I'm looking too hard into things
    Last edited by Cth; 05-14-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Btw, any idea what Cates means when he says "A creature... reborn. Set free from a cage made from his reflecton. From his shadow. From the only man he knew as friend. Only to face the wrath of a god. And the celestial judgement of a hundred thousand exploding stars."

So, reborn (Titan).. set free from a cage made from his reflection/his shadow (Hulk is free from the cage Banner places him in).. but here's the confusing part. "From the only man he knew as friend" I can't see this referring to Stark or Thor (especially since it immediately references Thor in the next line).. and the only man Hulk knew as friend would be Rick (I can't see Hulk seeing Bruce as friend either)

The only way I can make sense of it is if the narration is Thor. (even if it's written in omniscient narration) It says he is the only witness to what happens next. So that would mean Thor sees Bruce as the only man he knew as friend?! He's never been particularly that close and I'd put Cap or Stark way before Bruce. So when the caption reads "It is too much." could it be saying Thor having second thoughts about essentially attacking an innocent creature? Is Thor doing something here? Maybe Hulk's eyes just been burnt out instead of turning dark? Who knows, hard to judge off a small preview.

Maybe I'm looking too hard into things
    "From the only man he knew as friend." It is a bit confusing, but I thought he was referring to Banner here. At the end of Ewing's run (but before El Paso), the Hulks & Banner were getting along. Then El Paso happened. Now we see Banner all alone in his mindscape and no longer on his "bridge".

I don't think it refers to Thor ("Only to face the wrath of a god.") or Tony ("And the celestial judgement of a hundred thousand exploding stars."). Rick would normally be the go-to answer here, but we haven't seen him in this run yet. Unless ofc, we find he was at El Paso.

BANNED

Hulk taking on a full Skyfather/Odinforce Thor and overpowering him in a fight is badass enough (because if not for Odin/Mjolnir saving Thor's ass, the fight would be over and done).

Hulk withstanding the full unleashed might of a Celestial, which few beings can do let alone survive, and still not fall while having the gamma being drained from him is incredibly epic and ultra badass!

I'm really enjoying Banner of War. The art is phenomenal and the writing is good. Just pure action and immense fun. I bet the haters of the character, and of anything fun for that matter, are gnashing their putrid teeth.

Really enjoying it.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #390
    “This Means War”
    Cover Date: February 1992
    Sale Date: December 17th, 1991
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Dale Keown
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, X-Factor, Ulysses, Hector
    Villain: Farnoq Dahn
    Synopsis: The issue opens with the Pantheon Army in combat against Trans-Sabal soldiers, who appear to have been equipped with modified SHIELD-issue Mandroids. The Hulk arrives to save them, utilizing one of the cannons as a hand-held weapon and takes out the Mandroids. The battle ends with the Hulk perfoming a bad impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s “Termintor 2” line before getting angry and ripping them apart old school Hulk-style. There’s a cut scene where we are introduced to the leader of Trans-Sabal, Farnoq Dahn and his inner circle, as it were, and get a mild picture of something shady going down. Cut back to the Hulk, Rick and the Pantheon back in the desert. Ulysses and the Hulk disagree about how to approach fighting the Mandroids; disable or kill. We’re then treated to a flashback of how the Hulk got the bunny slippers, and how Bruce persuades Rick to come with him. In Reno, Betty receives a phone call from a woman named Jacqueline Shorr, who claims to be Rick’s mother. Back in Trans-Sabal, Farnoq Dahn is informed about the Hulk’s presence and his shady CIA contact assures him that the problem will be resolved in no time, with the now-government sanctioned mutant super-team X-Factor on the way…
    Commentary: So many famous or infamous one-offs in this issue. The bunny slippers, the T2 and Indiana Jones lines, the Clark Kent/Superman rib. I understood the movie and Superman ribs, the bunny slippers were over my head, but I guess that’s another movie reference? I dunno, I heard it was Dr. Who. Still over my head, I have never watched the series, nor do I have any desire. And the whole “Why is the Hulk using a gun?” argument? >Godzilla sized facepalm< Read the goddamn book, he was doing it for fun. Does he need to? No. Was it done in jest for the fans? Damn right. But those little balloons filled with words kind of do the job explaining it. Pardon the venom, but I had stumbled across a very ill-informed blog about issue #333, and claimed the Hulk was intent on KILLING Banner by drinking all the booze in that store. No. Not even close. Incapacitate, yes. He didn’t want Banner making his way back to Gamma Base to resume looking for a cure. Effing read pages 6 and 7 again. Okay, rant over.

The bunny slippers came back in Hulk's "King in Black" crossover if I recall. Except Joe was wearing them in his human form.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The bunny slippers came back in Hulk's "King in Black" crossover if I recall. Except Joe was wearing them in his human form.
    Joe always gets to wear the wacky outfits
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just a question for you all: Who do you want to be a part of the Hulk's supporting cast?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Just a question for you all: Who do you want to be a part of the Hulk's supporting cast?
    Honestly?

I want him to go the Alan Moore/Swamp Thing route.. focus on the character himself. He's his own supporting cast.. go hard on the psychological stuff.

This is also the Planet Hulk route. The final goal being to get back to the supporting cast, but using the time alone to focus on the main character.

Hell, go the Tony/Carol route and find another character who has anger issues and have them lean on each other/confiding in each other. Bruce could use someone who understands his problems. He needs a genuine friend. Sure there's been Rick, Jim, etc but they aren't able to relate as well to him.. Rick might have but he seems to roll with everything life tosses his way.

Probably not a popular take, but go on a superhero tour visiting everyone with Bruce telling them exactly why they piss him off and how they are part of the problem due to the way they treat him. Give the character some much needed catharsis. And it doesn't have to be all peaceful, have some get self righteous on him and elevate things into a proper grudge where people will dread what might happen the next time those two cross paths. Moments like during Infinity Gauntlet where Logan and Bruce bonded. Have someone come to him needing help, not just smashing or gamma -- moral dilemma like PAD would do -- kid runs away from super villain abuser parent/etc.

Fantastic Member

Jackie McGee. Her, at least.

The core supporting cast should be:
    Rick Jones
    Doc Samson
    Betty Banner
    Amadeus Cho

Those four are too important to the character to be gone for long.

I liked Jackie McGee and wouldn’t mind seeing her return and be important going forward with her “Gamma Sight”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Cho is sort of his own thing now I think. He only appeared in one issue in one scene of IH (Although he did get mentioned a few times). It's also the scene with the Namor cameo that kind of went nowhere.

She-Hulk trailer just went up. Has a bit of Bruce, including running his outdoor bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    She-Hulk trailer just went up. Has a bit of Bruce, including running his outdoor bar.
    Yeah, I don't think this is going to sell anyone who aren't jazzed about his Hulk.