Default Which marvel characters are the most inconsistent?

Sometimes looking for consistency in comics can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. Many major marvel characters have long publication histories and they have been written by many different writers during that time. But some characters must have it worse than others. So I ask which characters differ wildly from writer to writer whether it's their personality, goals or powers. Which characters have wildly different interpretations among writers with each writer writing his/her/their own version?

Iron Man!
    Is Iron Man someone who runs his business like a borderline charity to the point where it is always one disaster away from bankruptcy, or is he a greedy skinflint?
    Does he care so much about freedom that he threatened to abandon his company if SHIELD took it over, or is he a gleeful government stooge?
    Is he so wounded by the deaths of his parents, Yinsen, and others that he behaves with constant self-sacrifice out of guilt, or is he a sociopath?

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Sometimes looking for consistency in comics can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. Many major marvel characters have long publication histories and they have been written by many different writers during that time. But some characters must have it worse than others. So I ask which characters differ wildly from writer to writer whether it's their personality, goals or powers. Which characters have wildly different interpretations among writers with each writer writing his/her/their own version?
    I feel that Iron Man/Tony has been the most reinvented variously interpreted character because he represents something other than a hero first. We have seen him twisted and turned by the writers to match the times, for just dramatic effect and to go along with the Marvel general direction even as he veers off in a different direction because the writer of the moment is exploring something about his character. Tony's addictive and grating personality are, let's face it, not there in the early decades. Currently we Have the writer's very much affirming the MCU version of him as the weapon against weapons. Civil War perhaps was the high of his yo-yo characterizations. It isn't particularly surprising as comics try to be relatable to their audience while the inventor million/billionaire in the public sphere keeps changing but it does play havoc with consistency.

Hulk since the mid 80s, but that's part of the appeal I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Fantastic Four
    Captain America
    "Cable was right!"

Wolverine. Outside of Spider-man, nobody has appeared in more comics than Logan at Marvel and is fourth overall if you count Superman, Batman, and Spidey. Victim of his own popularity, too many writers gotta put their own spin on the character, very few actually gets the character.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Iron Man!
    Is Iron Man someone who runs his business like a borderline charity to the point where it is always one disaster away from bankruptcy, or is he a greedy skinflint?
    Does he care so much about freedom that he threatened to abandon his company if SHIELD took it over, or is he a gleeful government stooge?
    Is he so wounded by the deaths of his parents, Yinsen, and others that he behaves with constant self-sacrifice out of guilt, or is he a sociopath?
    Yeah writers really like messing with Tony's character one way or the other. At times he's an incompetent businessman who can't hold onto his company, or a former addict at the verge of relapse, or the worlds smartest dumb*** whose ideas cause more problems than they solve. To be fair the last one is a problem shared by a lot of geniuses in marvel. I guess writers think readers wouldn't like a character who has everything in life going for him + he's also rich. But at this point I want to read that Tony and not him at his lowest point as if that happens for the first time.

The Hulk is up there, One minute a Savage. The next he has Bruce banners mind, Mr Fix It, It seems to change every couple of years.

Ironman I would say is the most inconsistent over all. There is nothing I can add to why that hasnt already been said.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Tbh it's probably just easier to ask which heroes are consistent, because inconsistency is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    I feel that Iron Man/Tony has been the most reinvented variously interpreted character because he represents something other than a hero first. We have seen him twisted and turned by the writers to match the times, for just dramatic effect and to go along with the Marvel general direction even as he veers off in a different direction because the writer of the moment is exploring something about his character. Tony's addictive and grating personality are, let's face it, not there in the early decades. Currently we Have the writer's very much affirming the MCU version of him as the weapon against weapons. Civil War perhaps was the high of his yo-yo characterizations. It isn't particularly surprising as comics try to be relatable to their audience while the inventor million/billionaire in the public sphere keeps changing but it does play havoc with consistency.
    That can be said about quite a few marvel characters. The F4 are a family first, explorers second and only after those two they are heroes. That's why I like it when they do mundane stuff and it's the villains that come looking for them like in F4 Road Trip or Ryan North's current run.

Hulk and Moon Knight have inconsistency baked directly into their mythos.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Tbh it's probably just easier to ask which heroes are consistent, because inconsistency is the norm.
    Pretty much.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark