Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

BANNED

I'm pretty sure he also exploded by overloading himself with gamma and destroyed a mountain after Joe showed up for the first time in the last run

Bruce seems much more of a hunk in this run versus his look in Ewing's run.

Fantastic Member

He's totally going to wield the hammer isn't he?

It's like I said, both sides "get a win".. Thor has yet another person wield the hammer, Hulk is defeated by his own power. Watch it be like the Sentry fight with both knocking each other out. So, how would fans score it?

Thor beats him so bad that Titan comes out and destroys everything? Thor can't beat him without Hulk's power?

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    He's totally going to wield the hammer isn't he?

It's like I said, both sides "get a win".. Thor has yet another person wield the hammer, Hulk is defeated by his own power. Watch it be like the Sentry fight with both knocking each other out. So, how would fans score it?

Thor beats him so bad that Titan comes out and destroys everything? Thor can't beat him without Hulk's power?
    Yeah, I'm guessing you're right, and wielding the hammer is the favor Banner's asking for. Although it always looks a little strange having someone of Hulk's proportions clutching a tiny hammer.

But there's still one issue after this, so I'm guessing there will be a fair number of mindscape scenes in this one. We'll have to see how Banner/Hulk/Betty/Odin play out, then Titan will likely be saved until the last page in this issue.

The Odin/Banner scenes have been (unexpectedly) good in this crossover. And Banner growing more confident is also a nice change of pace.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #392
    “Fortunes of War”
    Cover Date: April 1992
    Sale Date: February 18th, 1992
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Dale Keown
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Supporting Cast: Val Cooper, X-Factor, the Pantheon.
    Villain: Farnoq Dahn
    Synopsis: The issue opens with Havoc of X-Factor shackled to a giant contraption and in a heated argument with Farnoq Dahn. We get some exposition about Havoc’s situation that occurred between issues and learn that Val Cooper has been drugged and under Dahn’s command. As he leaves, the Hulk makes his presence known by taking out the guards. Further away, Dahn, Cooper and his private guard are interrupted by the CIA liaison Mr. Galvin. Val’s beginning to shake off the drug she was given and Galvin starts to protest and demand her release…only to be stabbed and killed. Curiously, a Mandroid watching the situation is aghast at what he’s witnessed. Out in the desert, the rest of X-Factor and the Pantheon resume their hostilities. Cut back to Havoc and the Hulk, where we get a recap of the Hulk’s off-panel situation between issues and the two get into a philosophical debate on their actions in Trans-Sabal. Dahn learns that the Pantheon is gaining ground in their attack and he orders the contingency plan to go into effect…where we find out that the contraption that Havoc is strapped to is a giant missile (yeah, yeah, I know it was spoiled on the cover). Two more missiles are revealed with civilians tied to the exterior. Dahn then gets over a loudspeaker and orders them to leave his country or else. Quicksilver and the Hulk are able to rescue them as they are launched and the Hulk is able to break in and capture Dahn. Later on, amongst a crowd of civilians, Ulysses accuses Dahn of high crimes against his people. Dahn counters with how they worship him unconditionally, almost like a god. Ulysses can’t stand any more and prepares to kill him, but the Hulk holds him back. Dahn continues to gloat but is suddenly shot by one of his Mandroid guards. The people disperse and we then see Rick Jones exiting the Mandroid armor. Wolfsbane confronts him on why he killed him, and Rick admits that he snuck into the castle in the armor and witnessed everything he’d done. Rahne comforts him as he breaks down and a very somber looking Hulk overlooking the duo.
    Commentary: Good conclusion to an eagerly-awaited crossover between these two PAD-written titles. I remember the ending took me back a bit; I’d expected with everything that Rick had been through over the years, taking down a heartless dictator wouldn’t be a big deal. Glad to see that it affected him in a realistic manner.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #393
    “The Closing Circle/Grudge Match”
    Cover Date: May 1992
    Sale Date: March 17th, 1992
    Artist: Dale Keown/Herb Trimpe
    Inker: Mark Farmer/Herb Trimpe/Charles Barnett

Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, Igor
    Antagonists: The Soviet Super Soldiers
    Synopsis: For “The Closing Cirle”, the story revolves around Bruce Banner and Rick Jones arranging for Igor to be released from prison to relive the horror of creating the Hulk on the anniversary of its initial test. The Soviet Super Soldiers have other intentions and intend on taking Igor back to Russia. A battle ensues and ends when the Hulk leaps to ground zero with Igor. The Soviets catch up and Red Guardian realizes it’s the anniversary. The entire plan appears to have backfired on Bruce, as Igor claims responsibility for all the times the Hulk has save the world, rather than all the destruction he’s caused. The story ends with Igor have a mental breakdown. “Grudge Match” focuses on a criminal named Coyote Cash, who has had stints in jail thanks to the Savage and Gray Hulks. He’s released from prison and is intent on getting revenge, first by killing Rick and then the Hulk himself. Instead of Rick, he blasts the Merged Hulk and is hauled off to jail again.
    Commentary: I actually liked a lot of the back-up material more than the main story. The pin-ups were a treat, as almost every classic Hulk artist is featured and the essay by Doc Samson was a great way to cover the Hulk’s history and expand on the MPD angle. “Grudge Match” was fun as well, as the “Stupid Hood” line over the course of the three incarnations. One of the few gimmick covers that I didn’t mind; not because it was the Hulk and being my favorite character. The content. All of it was enjoyable. I know somewhere I have a copy of the 2nd print silver cover. At the moment, I can’t find it. And it’s pissing me off.

Ignore - it looks like spoiler tags don't work on images.
    Last edited by Kolwyr; 06-07-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #393
    “The Closing Circle/Grudge Match”
    Cover Date: May 1992
    Sale Date: March 17th, 1992
    Artist: Dale Keown/Herb Trimpe
    Inker: Mark Farmer/Herb Trimpe/Charles Barnett

Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, Igor
    Antagonists: The Soviet Super Soldiers
    Synopsis: For “The Closing Cirle”, the story revolves around Bruce Banner and Rick Jones arranging for Igor to be released from prison to relive the horror of creating the Hulk on the anniversary of its initial test. The Soviet Super Soldiers have other intentions and intend on taking Igor back to Russia. A battle ensues and ends when the Hulk leaps to ground zero with Igor. The Soviets catch up and Red Guardian realizes it’s the anniversary. The entire plan appears to have backfired on Bruce, as Igor claims responsibility for all the times the Hulk has save the world, rather than all the destruction he’s caused. The story ends with Igor have a mental breakdown. “Grudge Match” focuses on a criminal named Coyote Cash, who has had stints in jail thanks to the Savage and Gray Hulks. He’s released from prison and is intent on getting revenge, first by killing Rick and then the Hulk himself. Instead of Rick, he blasts the Merged Hulk and is hauled off to jail again.
    Commentary: I actually liked a lot of the back-up material more than the main story. The pin-ups were a treat, as almost every classic Hulk artist is featured and the essay by Doc Samson was a great way to cover the Hulk’s history and expand on the MPD angle. “Grudge Match” was fun as well, as the “Stupid Hood” line over the course of the three incarnations. One of the few gimmick covers that I didn’t mind; not because it was the Hulk and being my favorite character. The content. All of it was enjoyable. I know somewhere I have a copy of the 2nd print silver cover. At the moment, I can’t find it. And it’s pissing me off.

I think this was my first Peter David issue, and damn did I love it. Didn't know the mythos, but that didn't matter.

PAD certainly had a skill of crafting single issues you could read over and over again

Fantastic Member

Here's a question..

spoilers:

Was that Odin in control of the Hulk in the beginning? Note the yellow eyes, relative calm for an amped Hulk followed by Odin telling Bruce to help him fight Thor. Thor's eyes were yellow as well so it could just be artistic license but when he gets the hammer, his eyes change to blue, as if Odin isn't in there anymore and is back in the hammer. But to be fair, Bruce says Hulk's in control. Probably just Hulk, shame as Odin fighting his son with his greatest foe would be fun
    end of spoilers

But hey, how about..
    spoilers:

Those feats? Bifrost destroyed by gamma. Planet destroyed by the two punching.

Can't wait to see the reaction to Hulk holding the hammer finally.
    end of spoilers

Oh, and over in Savage Avengers, in case anyone was remotely curious about Weapon H -- there's been a change.

spoilers:

He was drained of his gamma and tried altering it to repower up and ended up turning into a Red Harpy Hulkverine for a brief moment before being drained again. He speculates he doesn't know what it means for him going forward but that he's no longer just a Hulk. Deathlok refers to him as the Enhancile.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Cth; 06-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Here's a question..

spoilers:

Was that Odin in control of the Hulk in the beginning? Note the yellow eyes, relative calm for an amped Hulk followed by Odin telling Bruce to help him fight Thor. Thor's eyes were yellow as well so it could just be artistic license but when he gets the hammer, his eyes change to blue, as if Odin isn't in there anymore and is back in the hammer. But to be fair, Bruce says Hulk's in control. Probably just Hulk, shame as Odin fighting his son with his greatest foe would be fun
    end of spoilers

But hey, how about..
    spoilers:

Those feats? Bifrost destroyed by gamma. Planet destroyed by the two punching.

Can't wait to see the reaction to Hulk holding the hammer finally.
    end of spoilers

Oh, and over in Savage Avengers, in case anyone was remotely curious about Weapon H -- there's been a change.

spoilers:

He was drained of his gamma and tried altering it to repower up and ended up turning into a Red Harpy Hulkverine for a brief moment before being drained again. He speculates he doesn't know what it means for him going forward but that he's no longer just a Hulk. Deathlok refers to him as the Enhancile.
    end of spoilers
    Regarding Odin...

spoilers:
    Yeah, it looks like it was just the Hulk, then Banner quickly resumed control.
    end of spoilers

And yeah, certainly something to chew on for the Battleboards...

spoilers:
    And given Banner's warning to Odin regarding Titan, you have to wonder just how strong that incarnation is... I guess we'll see in the next issue.

Also, Thor's armor is certainly a better look on the Hulk than the out-of-place tech suit he's been wearing.
    end of spoilers

One thing that was really dumb about the Hulk Chapter One retcon (In his annual) is that it makes Igor into a skrull, which kind of totally contradicts #393 and a lot of other stuff. Thankfully, it's ignored and was even laughed off in Captain Marvel by Rick.

I've read Igor returns in a one-shot featuring the Winter Guard where he becomes a gamma monster, but is pretty much a Shuma-Gorath style monster instead of a Hulk.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

I think I understand the "Titan is Hulk's Knull" thing.

Basically, it seems Titan infects and turns people into Hulks.

But what I don't understand is what Banner was saying that if went to toe-to-toe with "Thulk", Titan would come out and everything ends there.

I'm not really sure what he meant.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think I understand the "Titan is Hulk's Knull" thing.

Basically, it seems Titan infects and turns people into Hulks.

But what I don't understand is what Banner was saying that if went to toe-to-toe with "Thulk", Titan would come out and everything ends there.

I'm not really sure what he meant.
    I think he's just implying Titan would just kill Thor. But speaking of which, I may be a bit dense, but I honestly still don't get why Titan is "Hulk's Knull". From what I remember Knulll is basically the grand daddy origin of Symbiotes so does that make Titan the origin of Hulk? I dunno.

Usually crossovers are what tank books, but for Hulk this has been a step up from the first arc. Big dumb fun is exactly what I was expecting from Cates and spoilers:
    Thulk vs. Hor
    end of spoilers is exactly in the ballpark of my expectations.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/