Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't want them to touch Skaar or Sakaar unless they can do the Planet Hulk story justice (and that includes Caiera).

Although they did address Bruce being perplexed that Jen didn't have an alternate personality in her Hulk form so maybe they'll address the abuse that created Bruce's Hulk.
    It's too late for that, they already butchered Planet Hulk by merging it into Thor Ragnarok.

Doubt it, for starters their focus obviously isn't Bruce. Secondly in one deleted scene Bruce talks how he had a nice relationship with his father and is sorry he missed his funeral, so i dont have much hope for Marvel doing justice there, it would be too dark for how current MCU is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I mean its kind of an apples and oranges thing.

Jen's control of her Hulk form has nothing or little to do with greater emotional control from being a woman, its basically she was just less traumatized in life growing up than Bruce. Your Hulk forms are tied to your mental state and Jen's Hulk form being so relatively easier to control stems from the fact she was a far healthier well-adjusted person than Bruce or Blonksy was.

Though it does tie into how dismissive Jen is of Bruce's attempts to get her to take this seriously. Bruce is trying to tell her that being Hulk is an incredibly life-changing concern but Jen doesn't want to accept that because she wants to keep her life as is. Her character arc will be accepting that her life is now officially super and everything that comes with being a Hulk.

And this includes dealing with supervillains.
    Was it ever established that Bruce in the MCU went through the kind of trauma that his comic book counterpart did resulting in the way that his Hulk manifests?

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    It's too late for that, they already butchered Planet Hulk by merging it into Thor Ragnarok.
    I know. That's why I'm as skeptical as you are.
    Doubt it, for starters their focus obviously isn't Bruce. Secondly in one deleted scene Bruce talks how he had a nice relationship with his father and is sorry he missed his funeral, so i dont have much hope for Marvel doing justice there, it would be too dark for how current MCU is presented.
    Wow, what a complete misreading of the comic character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Was it ever established that Bruce in the MCU went through the kind of trauma that his comic book counterpart did resulting in the way that his Hulk manifests?
    Other than "I'm always angry" - no.

We do occasionally get Savage Jen, but I think Al Ewing explained that as a side-effect of people getting their gamma from Bruce-they get a little bit of Savage's persona in them too. Same thing with Rick during the early Grey Hulk era, Samson during the Red Hulk story arc, Cho later on etc.

The thing with Brian Banner might be something Marvel wants to stay away from due to it being a big part of the 2003 film.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post

To be fair, it could just be him lying.

It seems odd that if they had a good relationship, he'd miss his father's funeral.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    To be fair, it could just be him lying.

It seems odd that if they had a good relationship, he'd miss his father's funeral.
    Don't think he was lying, also he missed his death not his funeral, i remembered it wrong, here is the scene anyway so judge for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0uIqxO26bw

RYAN OTTLEY @RyanOttley
    Another piece I did on the plane home from c2e2. Hulk versus Galactus.

Get him, Spidey! Ink and Copics on 6x8 paper. Another drawing I did on a recent flight.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #402
    “The Forest for the Trees”
    Cover Date: February 1993
    Sale Date: December 15th, 1992
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jan Duursema
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Steve Buccelato
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Pantheon, Doc Samson, Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Marlo Chandler,
    Villain: Juggernaut, Red Skull.
    Synopsis: Open to the Hulk getting pummeled into a row of trees in the Amazon forest by an unknown muscle man. The scene then cuts to a flashback at the Mount, where we see that Agamemnon had called a meeting of the core group to announce his leave of absence and that the Hulk will be taking his place. Achilles threw a fit and storms off and we fast-forward back to the present and back to the Amazon and the Hulk getting worked over by this mysterious individual. In Reno, Betty has called Doc Samson over to help diagnose Marlo’s condition. Rick passes out from exhaustion, and the discussion shifts from Marlo to Bruce. Another flashback is presented, as we see the Hulk visiting the apartment and then suggesting that Betty move into the Mount. As before, Betty rejects the idea as she refuses to cut herself off from the real world. She suggests that he commute, and that he start seeing Samson again. He relents and then we’re back in the present in the Amazon. The remainder of the issue sees the Hulk and the mystery man continue to duke it out. The Hulk is holding back, as he isn’t clear on who he truly is and it backfires on him. He’s pounded into oblivion and we see that it’s really the Juggernaut (sans armor) and working for the Red Skull.
    Commentary: Yup, this issue cemented my dislike for Duursema until she was working on the Star Wars books years later. That panel with Juggernaut ready to wallop the Hulk again…blargh. It was a long 30 days, as I wasn’t sure if Gary Frank was coming on next issue or afterwards. All I knew is that Keown was sorely missed and knowing what I know now…Bobbie Chase should have taken him on his off to stay until Frank was caught up.

With X-men now under Disney wonder if Hulk (or She Hulk) vs Juggernaut might be a possibility. Only problem is that Juggernaut-at least a comics accurate one-does have a profile that looks very similar to the Hulkbuster armor.

Having read the last chapter of Banner of War (Haven't read the whole thing) is Hulk and Thors fights in Immortal Hulk ever brought up? Hulk badly humiliated him twice, although he was dealing with Devil and Joe there, not the current status quo of Banner, Savage and whatever Titan is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Having read the last chapter of Banner of War (Haven't read the whole thing) is Hulk and Thors fights in Immortal Hulk ever brought up? Hulk badly humiliated him twice, although he was dealing with Devil and Joe there, not the current status quo of Banner, Savage and whatever Titan is.
    Don’t think so, no.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

You know looking at pics of 70's Stan Lee (Who appeared as a joke in "Endgame" as well) I wonder if he was an influence on the look of "Sunshine Joe" when his general look started to become distinctive from Banner (Around the 30ish issues of IH, Absolute Carnage etc.)

https://twitter.com/midnightcap/stat...796992/photo/3

Funny thing is Stan used to look like this before getting settling on the mustache and shades (and presumably a wig or hair transplant): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6VllAgWLI
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-21-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #402
    “The Forest for the Trees”
    Cover Date: February 1993
    Sale Date: December 15th, 1992
    Artist: Jan Duursema
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Colorist: Steve Buccelato

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Pantheon, Doc Samson, Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Marlo Chandler,
    Villain: Juggernaut, Red Skull.
    Synopsis: Open to the Hulk getting pummeled into a row of trees in the Amazon forest by an unknown muscle man. The scene then cuts to a flashback at the Mount, where we see that Agamemnon had called a meeting of the core group to announce his leave of absence and that the Hulk will be taking his place. Achilles threw a fit and storms off and we fast-forward back to the present and back to the Amazon and the Hulk getting worked over by this mysterious individual. In Reno, Betty has called Doc Samson over to help diagnose Marlo’s condition. Rick passes out from exhaustion, and the discussion shifts from Marlo to Bruce. Another flashback is presented, as we see the Hulk visiting the apartment and then suggesting that Betty move into the Mount. As before, Betty rejects the idea as she refuses to cut herself off from the real world. She suggests that he commute, and that he start seeing Samson again. He relents and then we’re back in the present in the Amazon. The remainder of the issue sees the Hulk and the mystery man continue to duke it out. The Hulk is holding back, as he isn’t clear on who he truly is and it backfires on him. He’s pounded into oblivion and we see that it’s really the Juggernaut (sans armor) and working for the Red Skull.
    Commentary: Yup, this issue cemented my dislike for Duursema until she was working on the Star Wars books years later. That panel with Juggernaut ready to wallop the Hulk again…blargh. It was a long 30 days, as I wasn’t sure if Gary Frank was coming on next issue or afterwards. All I knew is that Keown was sorely missed and knowing what I know now…Bobbie Chase should have taken him on his off to stay until Frank was caught up.
    I hated this fight.

Peter David had a way of making Hulk look weak sometimes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I hated this fight.

Peter David had a way of making Hulk look weak sometimes.
    Well, the hulk is purposely holding back here. He doesn’t know that it’s Juggernaut, he just thinks that it’s some guy.Besides, Hulk kicks juggernaut’s severely by the end of this storyline. So he can “ lose” here.it’s all set up for what happens next

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #403
    “In Memory Yet Green”
    Cover Date: March 1993
    Sale Date: January 19th, 1993
    Artist: Gary Frank
    Inker: Cam Smith
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, Doc Samson, the Avengers.
    Villain: Red Skull, Juggernaut, Mentallo
    Synopsis: We open to the Hulk in shackles, threatening to release him before he gets really gets angry. The Red Skull and Juggernaut are revealed as Banner’s audience, and we get a very quick recap of last issue and how the Juggernaut’s plan to utilize street clothes over his armor was the catalyst for his win over the Hulk (same trick was used on Colossus in UXM #183). Some small barbs are exchanged and the Skull is able to calm the situation. He then reveals that his plan involves Mentallo using his powers to brainwash him into working for them. The Hulk laughs it off, but is surprised to find out how powerful the jolt of energy he’s hit with. In Reno, a very exhausted Rick Jones is showing Doc Samson to his room. Samson suggests he clean himself up before heading back to Betty & Marlo’s. He resists, but when Samson suggests Betty is ready to change the locks because of his body odor, he relents. Rick opens up about his struggles with Marlo and confides that he was the one who killed Farooq Dahn. Cut back to the Hulk, whose in a mental battle against past foes. Mentallo is on the receiving end of the feedback and says they have miscalculated, that last time Banner was in control, overwhelming odds could intimidate him, but that’s not the case now. The Skull orders him to probe deeper and we cut to the Avengers, who are heading to the Amazon rainforest to investigate current happenings. Back at the Skull’s secret HQ, Juggernaut is pouting his way down the hallway, and walks by a door labeled “Project Piecemeal” when something breaks through the door. A lab assistant/scientist explains what happens, and he continues on. Back on the mental plane, Mentallo deepens his probe and we see instances of the trauma Bruce went through after his mother’s murder; Brian Banner threatening him about what will happen to him if they find him guilty. The Hulk tries to tell his childhood self to ignore him, but nothing gets through. Mentallo amps up his power and the Hulk succumbs. The Avengers arrive outside and the Juggernaut is there to greet them. Before the Vision can take him out, the android is knocked silly by the Hulk, his hair combed back and all decked out in N.W.O. attire.
    Commentary: Hello Gary Frank! Clean, smooth, and very Keown-like. More than anything, I’m sure that the inker tamed any rough edges Frank had, but MAN…sooo good! In my rankings for Hulk artists, I would always place Frank above Keown, mainly because he didn’t run off to Image at the first sign of success and sit on a book for over six months between issues. But now, I look at it from a different perspective. Frank’s Merged Hulk is a much better rendition than Keown’s, mainly in the face. Keown had the action shots but Frank could do quieter moments, like the conversation between Rick and Samson. He also did a nice rendition of this era of the Avengers. Hercules had recently shaved his beard, which was a trip to begin with, and this was supposed to take place before the leather jackets came into play. I enjoyed this line-up back in the day too, I followed the Harras era Avengers regularly up through, I want to say #378. Dropped altogether during the Crossing. Deodato Jr. couldn’t save that story for me, ugh.