Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Didn't Ewing's earlier issues sort of imply that Banner was somehow losing his intelligence, with Devil being smarter than him somehow?
    He straight up was less smarter, it was stated all the way back in Immortal Hulk #2, although he is still fairly smart but as Vordan said, not a super genius that can make time travel machines from a toaster. But it seems Cates has either ignored that or has reversed it because we can see that Banner can build a mech for Hulk. Either way even if he wasn't super genius like before he isn't a moron and wouldn't just dismiss his computer telling him his gamma levels doubled out of nowhere as "probably nothing".

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk Annual #16
    “The Quality of Mercy”

Cover Date: 1990
    Sale Date: April 17th, 1990
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Angel Medina
    Inker: Larry Mahlstedt
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Antagonists: Mercy, Geroge Prufrock (the Lifeform)
    Synopsis: The issue opens with Geroge Prufrock breaking the 4th wall and talking to the reader about the Lifeform’s encounter with the Hulk. Flashback to the Hulk lashing out against a U.S. Military platoon, as he believes they’re on the hunt for him again. Turns out they were only on night maneuvers, weren’t even looking for him. The Colonel is so frustrated at the situation, he confronts the brute on what he did and what it’s going to do to his record and then slugs the Hulk across the chin. Realization sets in and just as thinks he’s about to be pulped, the Hulk leaps away in embarrassment. We then cut to the returning Mercy, who’s just killed a homeless man. She’s scolded by the deceased man’s friend about not knowing the difference between “wishing” they were dead and actually wanting to die. The Hulk, meanwhile, has made his way to an old abandoned theater and decided to kill some time by play acting. The Lifeform creature and Mercy suddenly arrive and the Hulk decides to be cautious in his approach rather than attack, like earlier against the Army. The Lifeform attacks instead but before the Hulk can counter, Mercy believes that talking to it would be a better idea. The Hulk doesn’t buy it, saying that that’s Banner way and he’s not here. Mercy morphs into a blob, enters the Hulk’s body and pulls out Banner’s body. Instead of talking to the Lifeform, the Hulk and Banner verbally spar for the rest of the issue, and the Hulk deciding to kill Banner once and for all. Lifeform attacks and during the battle, Banner is mortally wounded when he’s thrown against a lighting fixture. The Hulk then kills the Lifeform the same way, as it thanks him as he burns up. Banner apparently isn’t dead, and he’s asking for help. Before the Hulk can do anything, the fixture comes crashing down and the Hulk believes he’s just watched himself die. As he waits for the sun to rise and his life to end, Mercy appears and admits that she had shaped herself into a duplicate of Banner, leaving a stinging retort to the Hulk about he wouldn’t be here if Banner had believed his situation was hopeless. The issue ends with the Lifeform taking over completely and starting to devour another victim of the virus.
    Commentary: After a four year absence, the annuals return. The mystery as to why the went into hibernation is a mystery to me. Dwindling sales? Creative teams? Burnout? Not entirely sure what the Hulk had to do with this Lifeform crossover, but it is what it is. Good art by Medina here. He joins the title in about 6 years from now. There’s also She-Hulk and Doc Samon backup stories, as well as the Hulk’s version of a Letterman Top 10 for famous foes drawn by Herb Trimpe. Far cry from his stuff in the 70’s. Late 80’s and early 90’s Trimpe is a different animal. I guess the chronology for this issue is between issues #369-370? It’s not stated, but since I’m going by release date…

Funny thing is Frankenstein is an obvious inspiration for Hulk, with the early films especially influencing Jack's design/art.

Compare one of the stills from the "Lost" Frankenstein film...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_(1910_film)

with the pose and expression of the Hulk from the "first appearance" of the Green Hulk.

https://cokeandcomics.com/incredible-hulk-2/

(Of course the Karloff version also probably inspired it too.)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Cates isn't doing a terrible job but the book is pretty slow and doesn't grab you. It's very hard to step out of Immortal's shadow so maybe this will read better in a while.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Cates isn't doing a terrible job but the book is pretty slow and doesn't grab you. It's very hard to step out of Immortal's shadow so maybe this will read better in a while.
    If Marvel is smart, they won't let any more stories be told with the air of finality that Immortal had. It had closure and was satisfying, so some fans are no longer motivated to pull out their credit cards.

Some here on the forum suggested that Hulk just take a break for a few more months, before starting a new saga. That might have been the best approach ; make us desperate for any Hulk story.
    Last edited by xcoijoi; 01-21-2022 at 02:39 AM.

So I've been reading Marvel Knights: Hulk and there's that page of Bruce living imaginary scenario in his head, while Hulk being controlled.
    RCO014_1487582594.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Cates normally starts very strong (say what you will about this Thor work but the first issues featured multiple massive battles between Galactus, Thor, the Black Winter, and even Beta Ray Bill) but this hasn't been the case here at all.

There's nothing worse than a dull Hulk book. This is looking like Jason Aaron all over again......
    Well, Cates did say multiple times he's an Aaron fan, so... How many of y'all took that as a warning? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Ok i am also gonna mention one specific thing from the issue that actually bothered me a lot and the more i think about it the more it bothers me. It's the part where the computer tells Banner that
    Attachment 117550
    Now i know it's hard to write super genius characters, but at the very least you should write them as being above average intelligence... let alone above being idiots. So i dunno about anyone else but Bruce Banner a genius with lots of experience and expertise in gamma and Hulk would NOT just dismiss his computer telling him his radiation randomly doubled and then went away as "Im sure it's nothing...."

Scientist Bruce Banner would not say that is "nothing". Like i am an amoeba compared to Banner but even i would at the very least tell the computer to keep an eye on it or investigate further or make my own hypothesis in my head like the very obvious one as in maybe another Hulk personality appeared.

But nah, Banner just COMPLETELY dismisses it for no reason... and what bothers me a lot as well apart from this whole sequence being frustratingly stupid is the fact that we all already know this will bite him in the ass, because the solicitations already spoiled it.
    The worst thing is that, this whole system is probably something Bruce created.

It's not something borrowed, or that has a reference, since Strange asked around and no one has any idea how Banner did this, and Strange even says that the way he reshaped his mind is so bizarre that telepaths are baffled at it, keep in mind that Marvel telepaths are busted as ****, and while I don't think re-arranging minds is something they tend to try to do, saying that telepaths are surprised at this is a big thing to be saying.

So, this is a system Banner himself created (Or at least, seems to be the case), and he decides to ignore a warning from his own damn system.

I can understand characters screwing up, but make understandable mistakes, ignoring a warning like that is just dumb, just have Banner say something like "Analyze it and make a report, I'll check that out later", while you could still call him a dumbass for not prioritizing the warning right away, but at least he's still doing something.

So it's really, REALLY hard for me to swallow whats coming when Banner inevitable goes "Oh no what the hell is happening, what is this new Hulk? Where did he come from? How did we not notice him?"
    Worst thing is that, Banner is already aware of this "New Hulk" if the flashback in El Paso is any hint, though maybe that was just a dream.

I REFUSE to believe that Cates had this story planned out in his mind many years now... cause this is just so awful and lazy, especially when it's so easy to fix.
    It might be because he had it in his mind for so long that the story is lacking, it could be like a fanfiction he though about when he was younger, and now he's implementing it without changing the plot in necessary ways to make it interesting.

I certainly got this impression when Silk was introduced in ASM, 'cause there's that whole pheromones nonsense where it forces Cindy and Peter to be horny for each other, and it's treated like it's a funny thing instead of creepy lol.

And then after that where do we even go? More talking and traveling to alternate realities that literally have no affect on any of the 616 stuff. We only just started and i feel like i am watching an anime filler arc that usually happens 100 episodes into a show lol.
    Maybe it's a filler arc for Ewing's return .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just read it. Nothing happened and the big twiiiiist at the end was 1. Spoiled in the solicits and 2. Not that big a deal? Ross is the President on an alternate Earth. Whoopty-doo. I did like how a Bruce who never became the Hulk still ended up trashing the world thanks to his gamma bombs, but otherwise this was a big ol’ nothing burger. It’s jarring going from Ewing who stuffed his issues with so much plot to Cates who stretches a barebones plot out for multiple issues.
    The annoyance of writing comics for trade lol.

This is definitely going to read better on trade, but man, even if the run actually starts to get interesting in issue#4, that means it's still 3 issues of nothing cool happening, though I guess that since those first 3 issues are short, it'd only take 15 minutes to reach the issue#4 part, but eh, shouldn't be boring for 3 issues anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It definitely will read better once Immortal Hulk isn't as much in the readers' minds, but honestly, I'm being fair here and judging it without comparing to Immortal Hulk that much, and the problem right now is how the comic is boring.

I mean I can take a comic that isn't that well written, hell in general I don't expect good writing, just, don't be boring, anything being boring is bad, but a super-hero comic being boring is just worse, we have colorful characters with stupid codenames and weird gimmicks, don't make those be boring, at least have it be dumb fun.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Some here on the forum suggested that Hulk just take a break for a few more months, before starting a new saga. That might have been the best approach ; make us desperate for any Hulk story.
    Imagine that, Marvel decides to make Hulk take a break for a few months, Marvel makes an announcement about the next Hulk, the fans desperately wait for it, and then, we get Cates' run .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

In the immortal Hulk collection, they reprint an issue about Hulk's imaginary friends Goblin, Guardian and Glow. I dig them and if they ever did an into the Hulk movie, they should pop up.

I think they're sort of another case of his MPD.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think they're sort of another case of his MPD.
    That works.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-21-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Although they didn't show up in the actual issue, they did appear on the cover for IH #39. The Professor and Maestro did as well, but they weren't in the issue either Also Joe in his suit and hat but in human form, which we never really got in the comics, as he seemed to have developed a taste for Hawaiian shirts.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #371
    “Strange But True”

Cover Date: July 1990
    Sale Date: May 15th, 1990
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Dale Keown
    Inker: Bob McCleod
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Dr. Strange, Namor,
    Villain: The Strange Matter creature
    Synopsis: Seconds after the end of last issue, the possessed Hulk breaks out of Dr. Strange’s home and plots its next move while waiting for the sun to set in order to possess the full extent of the Hulk’s power. Strange and Namor tackle the brute on the outside, while mentally, Banner and the Strange Matter creature battle. As the sun sets, a desperate Banner leads it to the mental block. He removes the bolt and a bellowing creature breaks loose, combined that with Dr. Strange’s spell, and the Strange Matter creature disappears. The Hulk comes to his senses and he realizes what’s going on. Together they shut the door and bolt it back down before he collapses. That morning, Banner and Strange are discussing the events, his scar, and Betty’s current whereabouts. He then informs him that Betty had a miscarriage. He’s shocked, but spends little time grieving and against Strange’s advice, takes his leave. The issue ends with Banner finding out that Betty’s a nun living in a convent.
    Commentary: Didn’t really care for the whole Dark/Strange Matter creature, but I was giddy as freaking hell when I realized what was behind the door. Growling, green light…the Hulk mumbling that his TWO enemies are still inside him.
    Bullet Point: Way, WAY back in 2005 on a different message board, after reading an interview where PAD had stated he had other incarnations and colors of the Hulk planned before the merger, I started a thread about the topic and being a frequent poster back then, he was kind enough to answer. “I briefly toyed with the idea of knocking out the color entirely and have him be just inked. Basically, it was black and white Hulk. Ultimately I decided that another color change would simply not serve the character well, so I dumped the notion. However I remained curious as to what such a thing would look like, so I did it in that two-part Defenders reunion when the Hulk was possessed. Looked pretty cool, actually. PAD.”

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Got a notice that my pre-order for hulk grand design was canceled as marvel pulled it. Anyone one know what's up?