Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Mr. and Mrs. X: The Gambit and Rogue Appreciation 2022

Welcome to the Gambit and Rogue Appreciation Thread for 2022!

If you're a fan of this pairing, please come join us here to show your love for them and discuss this popular X-Couple.

Recent History:
    Rogue (Anna Marie) and Gambit (Remy LeBeau) famously were married in X-Men: Gold #30 in 2018 when Gambit proposed to Rogue on-the-spot at the reception of Kitty and Colossus's failed wedding, effectively stealing their wedding. This came on the heels of their highly praised miniseries Rogue and Gambit, where the couple reunited after several years apart. Their adventures as a married couple were then explored in the series that followed, Mr. and Mrs. X.

741ae3fe8ba7de69bd4806efbf55ef6c.jpg

That series came to a close when the Hickman/Krakoa era was launched, where we saw Gambit and Rogue join Excalibur. Rogue was eventually moved from this team to the relaunched X-Men title, a team to which she was elected and presently resides.

IMG_20211231_201439.jpg

Gambit apparently will remain stuck on the Excalibur team which is soon relaunching with a new title, Knights of X.

Key Issues - Get to Know Their History
    * X-Men
    #3 - First flirtation on panel
    #4 - The basketball game, failed date attempt #1
    #8 - The picnic, failed date attempt #2
    * Uncanny X-Men
    #297 - Gambit shows he is serious with a blanket on the rooftop
    * X-Men
    #24 - The carriage ride, successful date attempt #3
    * Gambit (1993)
    #1 - #4 - Rogue accompanies Gambit on his mission back to NOLA to aid Belladonna who is near death
    * X-Men
    #30 - Jean and Scott's wedding. Rogue catches the bouquet, Remy makes sure to get the garter.
    #33 & #38 - Rogue struggles with learning some of Remy's past sins from Sabretooth
    * Rogue (1995)
    #1 - #4 - Gambit follows Rogue when she confronts a vengeful Belladonna in NOLA to rescue Cody
    * Cable (1993)
    #20 - Legionquest. Rogue asks Gambit if he ever wanted a family.
    * X-Men
    #41 - #42 - Legionquest - Rogue kisses Gambit as the world ends

(Under construction ... more to come)
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-16-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Hoping 2022 will be AWESOME for Mr. & Mrs. X

Hey all, welcome back and Happy New Year!

As you may know our 2021 thread was deleted rather unceremoniously without warning or reason just as we reached completion of our count up of Rogue and Gambit's 101 Best moments in comics. I'll be posting a short re-cap of the moments list and will have to re-write up the #101 finale post.

In the meantime lets kick this year off with a bang and hope Gambit and Rogue can get better usage and stories in 2022.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Happy New Year, fellow Romy fans! Here's hoping we get some good Rogue and Gambit content this year!

Make Good Art

Re-Cap: Gambit and Rogue's Best Moments in Comics #1-25

1. "Never use last with us" R&G #4 by KT
    2. "The Look" Gambit '99 Nicieza, Issue #5 Of Mice and Men
    3. "Don't sass me none, Gambit." X-Treme X-Men #16&#17 by Claremont
    4. "That's all that matters" carriage ride X-Men #24 by Nicieza
    5. "Girl, don' you ever listen?" Phalanx Space arc UXM #343 Lobdell
    6. "Along the side of the Angels" Post-Boysenberry pie. XM #8
    7. "Everything is gonna be alright" blanket on a rooftop UXM #297 Lobdell
    8. "Don't trust anyone" X-Treme trust fall/long walk, short diving board. XM #17
    9. "Flying blind" XM #19
    10. "Just hold me" campfire scene Rogue '95 #2
    11. "This...is crazy." "Have you met me?" The Proposal XM: Gold #30
    12. "We make miracles" (knocking on Heaven's door) X-Treme X-Men #18 Claremont
    13. "I knew what side of the fight I wanted to be on." Age of X: X-Men Legacy #246
    14. "A first kiss before the end of the world" Legion Quest XM #41
    15. "In my other pants" AoA: Astonishing X-Men #1
    16. "So. That happened." Reunited and it feels so good! R&G #3 by KT
    17. "Our First. Our Last." Antarctica UXM #348
    18. Summers Wedding Bouquet & Garter Toss XM #30
    19. "Trust Me." "Always, Remy." UXM #385 by Claremont
    20. "How much did you hear?" Sabretooth confrontation XM #38
    21. "A fine hello to the love of your life." Astonishing X-Men '17 by Soule
    22. "You are in my heart an' soul." Valle Soleado X-Treme X-Men: X-Pose #2 Claremont
    23. "You're about to blow off your hand" post-Antarctica reunion XM #81
    24. "Dream Come True" Gamesmaster/Romy cooks together X-Men Annual '97
    25. "Christmas Cat-astrophe!" Merry X-Men Holiday Special by KT

Re-cap: Rogue and Gambit's Best Moments in comics #26-50

26. "The human heart can’t accommodate logic" Gambit '99 Nicieza, Issue #5 Of Mice and Men
    27. "Then I'll give you more. … I can take the pain." Ultimate X-Men #53
    28. "That enough wow, wife?" MMX #4 by KT
    29. "Very touched, chère." UA 2015 #9 by Duggan
    30. "Like snow on wet grass." TMI Rogue! X-Men: Legacy #234 by Carey
    31. "So hot." Crashing the Danger room R&G #1 by KT
    32. Tickling … yeah right! LOL MMX #1 by KT
    33. "Je t'aime de tout mon couer" X-Men '92 #10
    34. "REMY!!! uhm... an' Betsy too, o'course." XM #34
    35. "You're a Prince, Remy LeBeau." X-Men: Legacy #265 by Gage
    36. "If your armpits sweat on me, I'll drop you." Early banter, flying. X-Men Annual #1: Shattershot Part 1
    37. "M'Heart's nearly contented about now." Early banter, air ducts. X-Men Annual #1: Shattershot Part 1
    38. "Close quarters are just a perk." Air duct callback. R&G #2 by KT
    39. "You don't end here." X-Men: Messiah Complex by Carey
    40. "Champagne. Candlelight. Magic time, chere." The basketball game. X-Men #4
    41. Rogue apologizes/Graveside Visit of Mary Purcell Gambit '99 Annual
    42. Rogue drives like a maniac. X-Men Unlimited #3
    43. "Something to lose." X-Men: The End Dreamers and Demons #2 by Claremont
    44. "Maybe your heart, it remembers what your mind misplaced" Blindspot Rogue(2004) #12
    45. "Convenient position." Post-Avalanche UXM #367
    46. "Anytime's th' time t'die, long as it's by your side, chere." Momentary Princess - first prediction of married Romy. Gambit 1999 #10 by Fabian Nicieza.
    47. "Ew, knock it off, you two!" Campfire snuggles. Excalibur #9 by Howard
    48. "Take care, sweetie." Spacesuits kiss XM #170 by Milligan
    49. "I haaaaaaate you!" Mind control AGAIN! Gambit defeats Longshot MMX #8 by KT
    50. "Well now, sugah, that's so flattering Ah might jus' die." Mind control AGAIN! Fairy Tale MMX #8 by KT

Re-cap: Gambit and Rogue's best moments in comics #51-75.

51. "Pah! Who am I kidding? I'll never settle down." Gambit '93 LS #2
    52. "Don't worry, sugah -There's plenty ta go 'round." Girl Trouble. Gambit 2012 #11 by Asmus/Mann
    53. "Gambit … Remy … Chere … I … I … No! I can't!" Gambit chooses Rogue. Rogue panics. Gambit '93 LS #4
    54. "You come t' save me?" Bantering bar brawl! X-Treme X-Men #5 by Claremont
    55. "And Robin Hood needed his...his..." "Marian." Ultimate X-Men #52
    56. "My power isn't like yours, it works THROUGH CLOTHES" X-Men and Captain Universe: Sleeping Giants Vol 1
    57. "The 'what' is called a kiss chere" Gambit #16 '99 Nicieza
    58. "Wan' take the risk li'l river rat?" OG first flirtation. X-Men vol 2 #3
    59. "And den sometimes … tryin' not t'hurt anyone … you make things worse." Post-Antartica reunion. X-Men vol 2 #81.
    60. "An' look where it's landed me." "Keep hopin' sugah ... for the both of us!" Rogue 1995 #1
    61. "No matter what gets in the way … No matter how long it takes." X-Men: Legacy #265 by Gage
    62. "We'll figure it out together, Mon Coeur." Mr and Mrs X #4 by KT
    63. "You still willing to be my guinea pig?" Control for the first time. X-Men Legacy 224 by Carey
    64. "There might be some real gentlemen at that restaurant." The Red Dress moment/Failed date #1. X-Men #4
    65. "Did ya ever think about having a family or anything like that?" Cable #20
    66. "Don't tell me -- both won out in the end?" Rogue rescues Gambit from a sticky situation. Gambit #1(1999)
    67. "Don't be dense "sugah". Dis be reality!" X-Treme X-Men 42
    68. "But I'll take messed up with you any time, Remy LeBeau." R&G #5
    69. "Leave it to you to go right for the whip, girl." MMX #1
    70. "That was for luck." X-Men: Legacy #247 Age of X
    71. "Nice view." X-Men (1991) #12
    72. "I love you Rogue. I've always loved you. You need to know that." UXM 375
    73. Proud husband. Rogue voted to X-Men team at the Hellfire Gala. X-Men #21 (2019)
    74. "You wan' feel bad 'bout dat, your privilege. Jus' like it's mine t' hold you close an' give you comfort. For as long as you need. For as long as you want." Uncanny X-Men #385 Claremont
    75. "Silver-tongued devil." X-Men: Gold #30

Re-cap: Rogue and Gambit's best moments in comics 76-100

76. "Ah want a lifetime" X-Treme X-Men #19
    77. X-Men promotional insert of NFL Pro Action magazine #2. X-Men #2 Savage Embrace
    78. "Home and harbor." X-Men Legacy #248
    79. "Ever have that dream …?" Hunt for Xavier. X-Men #83
    80. "Ah just couldn't die without kissing you once, Remy." X-Men #45
    81. "Oh, so you're a gentleman?" "Depends who you ask …" Rogue & Gambit #2 First Meeting - Rogue's perspective
    82. "It's not love, but it's somethin'. That's for sure." Rogue & Gambit #2 First Meeting - Gambit's perspective
    83. "Sweet nothings and kinetic explosions? Must be love." Rogue and Gambit #3
    84. "Rogue, I'm touched." Learning French. Rogue and Gambit #3
    85. "For the first time in my entire life, ah felt... HOPE". Uncanny X-men 349. First scene after their night together
    86. "Dis "proper" enough for you, chere?" X-Treme X-Men #7
    87. "How you feel about cats?" Rogue & Gambit #5
    88. "A man must have reality, flaws and all." Rogue (2004) #6
    89. "Wild thing … you make man heart sing …" X-Treme X-Men #40
    90. "And Then the World Stops Making Fish" X-Men #82
    91. "Cozy little tête-à-tête" Gambit(1993) #1
    92. "Anyth'ng dere I should be jealous about?" "Absolutely." Uncanny X-Men #386
    93. "Heh. Dats my girl." Rogue chooses Gambit MMX #11
    94. "I'm in love wit' you--" X-Men #33
    95. " - You feel it?" "I feel it, chere."R&G #3
    96. "Really?! More kissing? You two are the literal worst." Mr. And Mrs. X #9
    97. "I'll stay with you every second. Always." R&G #5
    98. "Never should have married such a silver-tongued devil." Breakdown and rings. MMX #5
    99. "Not having you in my life ...? DAT was hard." / "Ready?" "Always." UXM 336 Lobdell & Madureia
    100. "All you're thinking about are honeymoons." Pre-nup party X-Men: Gold #30.

Happy New Year to Romy and fans .

I was logged into the old thread while it got deleted. Was going back to read one of the moments when suddenly I got a error message stating that the page didn't exist on this forum. Glad to see that you salvaged the list Apple. Would have been a shame to see such a labour of love just vanish.

Its like I haven't seen you guys since last year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I was logged into the old thread while it got deleted. Was going back to read one of the moments when suddenly I got a error message stating that the page didn't exist on this forum. Glad to see that you salvaged the list Apple. Would have been a shame to see such a labour of love just vanish.
    Yeah, luckily I was keeping an outside record of the list ... though I did have to re-add 98-100 since I hadn't copied them over yet.

I also lost my entire post for 101. Going to try to recreate that here shortly.

Okay, here we go (attempt number two).

Moment 101:

"... AS HUSBAND AND WIFE!"

7e4e2e725b4ae1bae176796f0a114287.jpg

Issue: X-Men: Gold #30
    What: Honestly one of the biggest surprises I've ever experienced in a comicbook. We went into this issue expecting a union between Kitty and Colossus, only to get a stolen wedding by Rogue and Gambit.

Leading up to the event, there were a lot of subtle hints that something was afoot. Adding both characters quietly to the Gold roster. The sealed mystery covers. But I never in a million years thought Marvel would have the brass to ACTUALLY pull the trigger.

Gambit and Rogue as a married couple were foreshadowed in potential futures from Claremont and Nicieza alike, but it never seemed like we would see it in the 616 proper, especially after so much damage had been done to them in past storylines. No doubt so much of the credit goes to Kelly Thompson for turning some heads around on this pairing and inspiring this idea to be put forth by Donny Cates. Not only did this wedding event rival the BatCat wedding, but since that event fell through by design, Marvel actually came out smelling likes roses among fans and making bigger headlines. Gambit and Rogue were popular enough among the non-comics crowd thanks to cartoon and movie appearances that even general crowds could recognize them and the overall reaction was quite positive in and outside the comics community.

As for the issue itself, I love it. I personally love the spontaneity. Honestly these two knuckleheads suck at planning, so I liked seeing them just deciding and acting in the moment. No fussing about seating arrangements or table settings. LOL I love that Rogue got married in green. The art is stunning. I love how personal, honest, and heartfelt the vows are. This issue was a huge standout for Mark Guggenheim. He clearly had some input from someone or somewhere. The fact that "always" is incorporated into their vows was huge. Also the promise Rogue makes feels a bit meta, giving the reader the possibility of future reunions if/when tribulations tear them apart down the road.

It's a rare thing for a comicbook couple to get this level of blessing and attention, probably even rarer to keep it. But at least we had this awesome moment for our favorite characters and no matter what, no one can take that away. It gives me hope Marvel just might surprise me yet with more good things in their story ... maybe in another 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Okay, here we go (attempt number two).

Moment 101:

"... AS HUSBAND AND WIFE!"

7e4e2e725b4ae1bae176796f0a114287.jpg

Issue: X-Men: Gold #30
    What: Honestly one of the biggest surprises I've ever experienced in a comicbook. We went into this issue expecting a union between Kitty and Colossus, only to get a stolen wedding by Rogue and Gambit.

Leading up to the event, there were a lot of subtle hints that something was afoot. Adding both characters quietly to the Gold roster. The sealed mystery covers. But I never in a million years thought Marvel would have the brass to ACTUALLY pull the trigger.

Gambit and Rogue as a married couple were foreshadowed in potential futures from Claremont and Nicieza alike, but it never seemed like we would see it in the 616 proper, especially after so much damage had been done to them in past storylines. No doubt so much of the credit goes to Kelly Thompson for turning some heads around on this pairing and inspiring this idea to be put forth by Donny Cates. Not only did this wedding event rival the BatCat wedding, but since that event fell through by design, Marvel actually came out smelling likes roses among fans and making bigger headlines. Gambit and Rogue were popular enough among the non-comics crowd thanks to cartoon and movie appearances that even general crowds could recognize them and the overall reaction was quite positive in and outside the comics community.

As for the issue itself, I love it. I personally love the spontaneity. Honestly these two knuckleheads suck at planning, so I liked seeing them just deciding and acting in the moment. No fussing about seating arrangements or table settings. LOL I love that Rogue got married in green. The art is stunning. I love how personal, honest, and heartfelt the vows are. This issue was a huge standout for Mark Guggenheim. He clearly had some input from someone or somewhere. The fact that "always" is incorporated into their vows was huge. Also the promise Rogue makes feels a bit meta, giving the reader the possibility of future reunions if/when tribulations tear them apart down the road.

It's a rare thing for a comicbook couple to get this level of blessing and attention, probably even rarer to keep it. But at least we had this awesome moment for our favorite characters and no matter what, no one can take that away. It gives me hope Marvel just might surprise me yet with more good things in their story ... maybe in another 30 years.
    Awesome! Thanks for redoing your post(I know that had to be a pain). Yay, we did it! And it was a lot of fun! Thank you so much for starting up the list. I am going to try to come up with my top 10 favorite moments from the list now and will post it on this thread sometime soon.

And, yep the wedding was a huge shocker! I never would have thought Marvel would let it happen. I am so happy Marvel did actually pull the trigger on it and gave them two series to boot. Man, was that a great couple years. Before the dark times, before the Empir... I mean before the Hickman and Howard era.
    Last edited by thjan; 01-02-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Spectacular Member

Hope this year will be (I wanted to say better but after these 2 years and the direction Marvel is heading, for some improvement there has to be a miracle I think)...

less cringy maybe?

I may be a little pessimist