Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    With what is happening in Krakoa , tempus or tempo can turn a baby in full adult or
    send it to Otherworld and back as young adult, or in the case of history of Gambit , some of arch enemy of RomY kidnapped the baby and send it to other world.
    Yeah, there are about 50 ways to speed up or skip through pregnancy and/or infancy in a fictional world with magic and/or all kinds of fun theoretical science, so I don't even see why people freak out. Though personally I'd love Rogue and Gambit to have the story space to actually lean INTO that kind of story and really enjoy it if and when it ever happens.

That said, I don't think they need to have a kid now. Maybe they even shouldn't just quite yet.

But the present storylines failing to give them a significant role in Krakoa and meaningful purpose on their teams makes it harder to understand why they wouldn't want to since they're finally in a safe and stable environment for mutants on Krakoa supposedly. So that is my beef. I need a better reason than an off panel bad dream for Rogue to have flip-flopped on wanting a family someday. Because that has explicitly been her continuity. And I need her to care about Remy's opinion on that, even if he would be okay with whatever she wants.

And I need them both to have something better to do with their time if we aren't going to go there. I think it could even have been made as simple as Rogue not being able to get pregnant "naturally" because of her powers and not being in a place right now where she wants to risk messing with them to pursue that. She JUST got her control back and they're still newlyweds relatively speaking, so not being ready to rock their boat of stability yet I can totally buy. She's going to need to want it more to risk losing control again.

But I DO want all the family drama between Irene, Raven, Rogue, Kurt and now Remy as the now in-law. We could be having so much more fun with it than a couple pages. Just those few pages were amazing!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

That is a crossover I would love to see
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I didn't want babies right after they were married but at this point, I would rather take a baby story over whatever they're doing right now. Especially after Rogue's "I don't know if I'll ever want to have kids" speech in Excalibur
    I had conflicting feelings about that topic being addressed in Excalibur.
    On the one hand, I'm very pleased to see one of the most prominent, and one of my very favorite, couples simply stating "no kids for me".
    That was very relatable and I appreciated seeing that for a change in my superhero comics. Not "I can't have children" or "I'm afraid to have them" but simply I don't want to be a parent.
    But on the other side of that narrative, I now like to read Rogue and Remy as a woman and trans male couple. That's a recent revelation of mine after hearing a friend proposal that explained some of the less savory depictions of their courtship in a way that made a lot of sense to me. Alas, if they're out here discussing Remy getting Rogue pregnant, then that headcanon is left unblasted.

And lastly if they WERE to become parents, I would prefer they adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    On the one hand, I'm very pleased to see one of the most prominent, and one of my very favorite, couples simply stating "no kids for me".
    That was very relatable and I appreciated seeing that for a change in my superhero comics. Not "I can't have children" or "I'm afraid to have them" but simply I don't want to be a parent.
    But on the other side of that narrative, I now like to read Rogue and Remy as a woman and trans male couple. That's a recent revelation of mine after hearing a friend proposal that explained some of the less savory depictions of their courtship in a way that made a lot of sense to me. Alas, if they're out here discussing Remy getting Rogue pregnant, then that headcanon is left unblasted.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Conner and Jay discussion recently on X-Plain the X-Men? Or apparently this theory was from Sarah Century orginally from B' on Comics.

Yyyeeeahhh .... I dunno. I don't love that interpretation personally. It doesn't feel like it fits with his continuity and solos and background at all. I can understand why some people like it, but honstly I really don't. I don't want to smooth over those depictions that some find unsavory, because I better like the notion that people (and characters) can change their behavior and that Gambit has come from a rough background.

But to each their own.

I’m in AJ’s camp. Gambit couldn’t keep his hands to himself. He had to be taught boundaries. With his childhood/background, it makes sense… he had no boundaries to begin with. I don’t want a creepy Kevin Spacey-like situation. “Look, I perved on people, but I can explain, I’m ______!”

I do think adoption is a great choice that makes sense for their characters. Pregnancy is no joke. Having survived, I’m an advocate for obtaining babies by any other means (maybe not kidnapping them tho, I’m looking at you Jean-Luc.)

I mean, it is of course only a head canon proposal so its not like it fully matters since it likely would never make the page haha. But reading Remy as trans--I see it as recognizing where the unsavory behavior stems from and understanding why he behaved the way he did, not so much apologizing for it or smoothing it over, because the behavior was still poor regardless of the why he felt he should act that way. It was a compelling narrative I hadn't previously considered. Either way, Remy still changed his behavior over time and still comes from a rough background.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

On the babies I was the opposite. Mostly because their dynamic would work well as a family.
    I also see children as something rare in comics. Baby May from Peter and MJ still feels like the standard response from Marvel.

The biggest problem with Excalibur and the no baby speach is still: They closed one plot but didn't introduce a new one. Witch still has left Romy rudderless. They have no plot as a couple. Heck they practically live apart.

On the Trans subject I have no opinions. Of course I haven't heard the theory beyond what has been stated here either.

Astonishing Member

I kinda wish people wouldn’t try to rationalize past stories when the rationale was ‘it wasn’t really considered bad or that bad at the time’. Let’s just move on from that story, though I also realize over analyzing past stories is something us comic nerds live for, and can’t say I have not done so myself, lol. I haven’t heard the trans theory either, but ‘really terrible childhood’ does seem like rationale enough for boundary issues.

For me there are just too many instances in canon I can think of specifically that don't fit that narrative.

I mean, even in that hot tub scene from Tini ... Gambit explicitly says "... but if you did want a kid, it'd be a good excuse to spend all our time fooling around."

That statement doesn't make a lot of logical sense to say even as a joke coming from a trans masculine character unless they are being entirely facetious.

I think it also rubs me wrong that this idea came from Sarah Century who has very notably never liked Gambit as a character and this is basically her way of reworking him to meet her preferences. As someone who has liked the character since his introduction, it doesn't feel good to me when someone wants to alter something central to the character that drastically.

I mean I do not care for Cyclops in the least. But I don't need to change him to make him more to my liking either.

And obviously headcannons are absolutely fine. Everyone has them and they all differ and most of us can just enjoy them for what they are. That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The biggest problem with Excalibur and the no baby speach is still: They closed one plot but didn't introduce a new one. Witch still has left Romy rudderless. They have no plot as a couple. Heck they practically live apart.
    Agreed. The hot tub speech sounded like anti-baby pro-cat soap-boxing from the author, rather than relating to any part of the plot or being part of the characters’ journey at all.

Both of the stable hetero married couples (Gambit/Rogue and Doug/Bei) won’t be interacting, it seems. I guess it’s fortunate they’re in a good place and can weather a long-distance relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Agreed. The hot tub speech sounded like anti-baby pro-cat soap-boxing from the author, rather than relating to any part of the plot or being part of the characters’ journey at all.

Both of the stable hetero married couples (Gambit/Rogue and Doug/Bei) won’t be interacting, it seems. I guess it’s fortunate they’re in a good place and can weather a long-distance relationship.
    It felt so shoehorned into the plot. I never saw any real signs that Rogue where coming to this realization before she said it.

So here we are waiting to be fed some Rogue and Gambit goodness again.

We know at least Rogue appears tomorrow in X-Men #10. Hopefully we'll get her "focus issue"/ reason for joining the team soon, if not tomorrow.

And next week, we have X-Men '92 for some fun and probably campy, non-canon Romy content.

Also sounds like KoX is getting delayed in May which ... kinda just hoped we could rip off that band-aid fast rather than drag this out further than it already has been. Still ... Paper and printing delays have been hurting so many books.

Wonder if the Gambit mini will still come out on time.

If you had it your way, would you rather get a miniseries in single issues or all-at-once as a complete trade? Personally I'd prefer the trade. It's fast become my favorite way to read comics. That or binge them digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

We know at least Rogue appears tomorrow in X-Men #10. Hopefully we'll get her "focus issue"/ reason for joining the team soon, if not tomorrow.

And next week, we have X-Men '92 for some fun and probably campy, non-canon Romy content.

Also sounds like KoX is getting delayed in May which ... kinda just hoped we could rip off that band-aid fast rather than drag this out further than it already has been. Still ... Paper and printing delays have been hurting so many books.

If you had it your way, would you rather get a miniseries in single issues or all-at-once as a complete trade? Personally I'd prefer the trade. It's fast become my favorite way to read comics. That or binge them digitally.
    This will sound like the diplomatic answer but I want to read it as it was intended to be read. Claremont might still write the old way and if so I prefer singles.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

I'll probably read it in singles but I prefer reading it in trades anymore. I'm bad about picking up comics sometimes so there can be large gaps between when I read issues, which can hurt the flow (and what I remember)
    Make Good Art