Happy new year to all of you guys

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Okay, here we go (attempt number two).

Moment 101:

"... AS HUSBAND AND WIFE!"

Attachment 116866
    Attachment 116867

Issue: X-Men: Gold #30
    What: Honestly one of the biggest surprises I've ever experienced in a comicbook. We went into this issue expecting a union between Kitty and Colossus, only to get a stolen wedding by Rogue and Gambit.

Leading up to the event, there were a lot of subtle hints that something was afoot. Adding both characters quietly to the Gold roster. The sealed mystery covers. But I never in a million years thought Marvel would have the brass to ACTUALLY pull the trigger.

Gambit and Rogue as a married couple were foreshadowed in potential futures from Claremont and Nicieza alike, but it never seemed like we would see it in the 616 proper, especially after so much damage had been done to them in past storylines. No doubt so much of the credit goes to Kelly Thompson for turning some heads around on this pairing and inspiring this idea to be put forth by Donny Cates. Not only did this wedding event rival the BatCat wedding, but since that event fell through by design, Marvel actually came out smelling likes roses among fans and making bigger headlines. Gambit and Rogue were popular enough among the non-comics crowd thanks to cartoon and movie appearances that even general crowds could recognize them and the overall reaction was quite positive in and outside the comics community.

As for the issue itself, I love it. I personally love the spontaneity. Honestly these two knuckleheads suck at planning, so I liked seeing them just deciding and acting in the moment. No fussing about seating arrangements or table settings. LOL I love that Rogue got married in green. The art is stunning. I love how personal, honest, and heartfelt the vows are. This issue was a huge standout for Mark Guggenheim. He clearly had some input from someone or somewhere. The fact that "always" is incorporated into their vows was huge. Also the promise Rogue makes feels a bit meta, giving the reader the possibility of future reunions if/when tribulations tear them apart down the road.

It's a rare thing for a comicbook couple to get this level of blessing and attention, probably even rarer to keep it. But at least we had this awesome moment for our favorite characters and no matter what, no one can take that away. It gives me hope Marvel just might surprise me yet with more good things in their story ... maybe in another 30 years.
    Great final post to the list and great job with the list overall. Maybe we get a lot of content this year to add even more to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Great final post to the list and great job with the list overall. Maybe we get a lot of content this year to add even more to the list
    From your lips to Marvel's ears I hope!

I get that it can be challenging to follow up on a really good run, but ... wow have these two characters been so painfully underserved in this era.

I don't know what to wish for KoX. I don't want to wish failure on any writer or project, but I feel so done giving Tini chances with writing Remy that I just want that title over before it even begins which isn't any way to be. I won't be supporting it unless I hear REALLY good things. She is going to have to work hard to win me back to ever read her work again. I'm actually looking forward to see what Claremont does with him at this point, even though I haven't liked a lot of his recent returns in books. Hopefully it's just a lot of fun and highlights his skill and personality. I doubt Rogue will appear.

As for X-Men, I'm getting a bit sour on Rogue being underutilized there even though it's a much better written book than Excalibur. Now that so many antagonists have been set up, I'd like to really see those plots moving finally forward more and way more team character focus. I simply don't care about Captain Krakoa or another round of elections already happening (unless they can somehow rescue Remy maybe). Let's see some Rogue!

I'm also missing having them together in a book. I was ready for them to get some individual development in their separate books, but that's not really happening with them apart anyway so now it's just an annoyance.

Hopefully the return of XTAS means more writers that want to use them, even though that's over a year away still.

It also ticks me off finding out what Hickman wanted do with Storm in Giant-Sized when Rogue and Gambit were right there and then not used for anything special while Storm clearly has had a lot on her plate for events and plots. That really is the kicker for me ... nixing the baby plot after blatantly teasing it and then totally doing nothing with either character otherwise. Grrr.

Anyway ... come on 2022 ... give us something to get excited about!

If Rogue has a decent showing tomorrow in X-Men #6, someone give us a heads up or PM me. Just be careful with putting no spoilers! They are apparently cracking down and not going to give warnings, even with spoilers tags.

Moving on to other news for 2022, we have the themes/prompts for Rogue and Gambit week!

Here's the link for the event on Tumblr:
    https://roguegambitweek.tumblr.com/p...tion-week-2022

Here are the themes/prompts:
    Day 1 - Sunday, February 20th - Thieves Guild/King and Queen of Thieves

Day 2 - Monday, February 21st - Injury/Illness | Amnesia

Day 3 - Tuesday, February 22nd - “I can’t believe he/she is your husband/wife” | Soulmates

Day 4 - Wednesday, February 23rd - Coffee Shop | Moment they fell in love

Day 5 - Thursday, February 24th - Filling in story/scene gaps between issues/episodes/movies | Meet alternate versions of themselves

Day 6 - Friday, February 25th - Western | Cuddling/Hugging

Day 7 - Saturday, February 26th - Free Space!!!

This year we added extras from the top 12 to give more visual art friendly options.

Remember fanworks can include: fanfiction, fan art, fan comics, art edits, cosplay, video edits, musical performances, theatrical performances ... anything creative! Follow your inspiration!

If you aren't up to creating anything but still want to participate, there are also the following fan participation events each day:

Day 1 - Sunday, February 20th - Share your favorite fan-creators and spread the love for their creations.

Day 2 - Monday, February 21st - Quote/song/lyrics you associate with Romy

Day 3 - Tuesday, February 22nd - Favorite arcs/scenes/storylines (any media)

Day 4 - Wednesday, February 23rd - Favorite fanfics

Day 5 - Thursday, February 24th - Favorite Romy quotes

Day 6 - Friday, February 25th - Headcanons

Day 7 - Saturday, February 26th - Reasons you ship Romy

Would love to see you all contribute/participate!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Thanks for sharing! I like the addition of the fan participation events. I'm hoping to see a lot more things in the vein of our top 101 moments
    Make Good Art

Astonishing Member

This might be random, but does anybody else remember Maxime and Manon the two albino mutant kids introduced in Extermination and who showed up in the early issues of the current New Mutants book? They speak French and one has empathy powers while the other can alter memories? I forget how the exact dialogue went, but in Extermination when they were introduced, it was said that they grew up at the Xavier Institute in the future before Ahab kidnapped them and made them Hounds.....with there being certain implications made that they might be the children of X-Men members. Which to me....the obvious candidates for their parents were always Gambit and Rogue, between the French accents and the empathy AND memory powers, which could easily be seen as derivations of Remy's oft-alluded to charm power and Rogue's memory absorption.

Did anyone else ever get the impression they were building towards a reveal that Maxime and Manon were Rogue and Remy's kids, or was that just me or totally in my head? LOL. And if not, what did you think of it? I'd kinda almost prefer Rogue and Remy find that out about them and build a relationship with the two of them now, rather than explore any kind of pregnancy plot with Rogue especially when writers have her profess she's not sure she wants to have kids just as often as other writers profess that she does......

Giving them already grown and already existing kids would resolve a lot of that neatly because the twins are still young enough that there's still a need for parenting in their lives and they don't have anyone as is.....it would circumvent Marvel's resistance to writing babies or particularly young children before aging them up with some plot device anyway.....and Rogue might be a lot more open to and comfortable with finding a place in her heart and life for kids clearly in need of parents and already in existence than when thinking about kids in the abstract.

In addition, it would make them a family of choice because Maxime and Manon would technically be their future kids from a now dead alternate future, meaning that Rogue and Remy would have to make a conscious choice to CHOOSE to be their parents in the here and now, kinda like what Scott and Jean did with Rachel at various points, but just with the kids at a younger age.

On top of that, there's a lot of powerful parallels to be drawn in how even if the twins are their kids genetically, the twins don't seem to have conscious memories of their original parents and Rogue and Remy of here and now don't have any history with them, so it'd be like adoption as much as a biological connection.....which could call back to and build upon the fact that BOTH Rogue and Remy are children of adoption themselves, and allow them to re-examine and perhaps strengthen their bonds with their own adopted parents Jean-Luc and Raven and Irene, now seeing their relationships through the lens of having basically become adoptive parents themselves.

AND on top of that, Rogue and Remy leaning on their friendship with Rachel and asking her for advice on connecting with their alternate future children based on her own experiences connecting with her alternate past parents opens doors to actual DEVELOPMENT for all three characters whereas despite all their shared page time in Excalibur they've really not gotten much of that there. But there's so much character fodder to be mined in Rachel exploring her own feelings about being on the child-side of that unconventional parent/child dynamic as Rogue and Remy seek her advice in order to better understand their already somewhat grown children from a dead future timeline and get a better sense of what the twins are going through and the disconnect that inevitably comes from being the only survivors of a dead and gone timeline. Not to mention the Ahab connection and the fact that nobody knows more about the trauma of being manipulated and used by Ahab than Rachel....thus opening doors for Rachel to heal from some of her own emotional wounds via helping to better the lives and recovery of two of Ahab's most recent and youngest victims, and enabling Maxime and Manon to better recover from their traumatic backstories thanks to the experience and empathy of their parents' friend, someone who knows intimately what their lives must have been like and what kind of scars that can leave on the soul.

Idk, I think that IF Marvel ever wants to explore Remy and Rogue as parents now that they're married, there's a lot of potential already existing in the characters of Maxime and Manon and the potential idea that they were future Rogue and Remy's kids who were kidnapped from the Institute as toddlers and raised by Ahab before the events of Extermination.

Anyone agree or am I totally off my rocker here?
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-05-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    This might be random, but does anybody else remember Maxime and Manon the two albino mutant kids introduced in Extermination and who showed up in the early issues of the current New Mutants book? They speak French and one has empathy powers while the other can alter memories? I forget how the exact dialogue went, but in Extermination when they were introduced, it was said that they grew up at the Xavier Institute in the future before Ahab kidnapped them and made them Hounds.....with there being certain implications made that they might be the children of X-Men members. Which to me....the obvious candidates for their parents were always Gambit and Rogue, between the French accents and the empathy AND memory powers, which could easily be seen as derivations of Remy's oft-alluded to charm power and Rogue's memory absorption.

Did anyone else ever get the impression they were building towards a reveal that Maxime and Manon were Rogue and Remy's kids, or was that just me or totally in my head? LOL. And if not, what did you think of it? I'd kinda almost prefer Rogue and Remy find that out about them and build a relationship with the two of them now, rather than explore any kind of pregnancy plot with Rogue especially when writers have her profess she's not sure she wants to have kids just as often as other writers profess that she does......

Giving them already grown and already existing kids would resolve a lot of that neatly because the twins are still young enough that there's still a need for parenting in their lives and they don't have anyone as is.....it would circumvent Marvel's resistance to writing babies or particularly young children before aging them up with some plot device anyway.....and Rogue might be a lot more open to and comfortable with finding a place in her heart and life for kids clearly in need of parents and already in existence than when thinking about kids in the abstract.

In addition, it would make them a family of choice because Maxime and Manon would technically be their future kids from a now dead alternate future, meaning that Rogue and Remy would have to make a conscious choice to CHOOSE to be their parents in the here and now, kinda like what Scott and Jean did with Rachel at various points, but just with the kids at a younger age.

On top of that, there's a lot of powerful parallels to be drawn in how even if the twins are their kids genetically, the twins don't seem to have conscious memories of their original parents and Rogue and Remy of here and now don't have any history with them, so it'd be like adoption as much as a biological connection.....which could call back to and build upon the fact that BOTH Rogue and Remy are children of adoption themselves, and allow them to re-examine and perhaps strengthen their bonds with their own adopted parents Jean-Luc and Raven and Irene, now seeing their relationships through the lens of having basically become adoptive parents themselves.

AND on top of that, Rogue and Remy leaning on their friendship with Rachel and asking her for advice on connecting with their alternate future children based on her own experiences connecting with her alternate past parents opens doors to actual DEVELOPMENT for all three characters whereas despite all their shared page time in Excalibur they've really not gotten much of that there. But there's so much character fodder to be mined in Rachel exploring her own feelings about being on the child-side of that unconventional parent/child dynamic as Rogue and Remy seek her advice in order to better understand their already somewhat grown children from a dead future timeline and get a better sense of what the twins are going through and the disconnect that inevitably comes from being the only survivors of a dead and gone timeline. Not to mention the Ahab connection and the fact that nobody knows more about the trauma of being manipulated and used by Ahab than Rachel....thus opening doors for Rachel to heal from some of her own emotional wounds via helping to better the lives and recovery of two of Ahab's most recent and youngest victims, and enabling Maxime and Manon to better recover from their traumatic backstories thanks to the experience and empathy of their parents' friend, someone who knows intimately what their lives must have been like and what kind of scars that can leave on the soul.

Idk, I think that IF Marvel ever wants to explore Remy and Rogue as parents now that they're married, there's a lot of potential already existing in the characters of Maxime and Manon and the potential idea that they were future Rogue and Remy's kids who were kidnapped from the Institute as toddlers and raised by Ahab before the events of Extermination.

Anyone agree or am I totally off my rocker here?
    I may have just LOL and Sandman's Raven knows why, but in a word ...YES.

This notion had crossed my mind quite a bit actually and it was a rather big topic of discussion/debate on this thread a few years back.

Not exactly in every detail you described here or within the present Krakoa context, but I wrote a fic a while back when the twins first appeared after Extermination that basically had this general idea as the central plot.

This was before Tini had Rogue make that specific statement and considering her past appearances which seemed much to the contrary regarding wanting kids. Even at the end of MMX, Rogue is open to "maybe someday" which isn't the same as her recent "maybe never". But I digress. No sense in beating that dead horse.

But as for the actual 616, I do think it would be a fun plot for sure. At this point it would give them something meaningful to do at the least since nobody seems to want to give them anything but background muscle and firepower roles anyway.

I love those twins. Not sure who Ed Brisson had in mind for their parents though or if he ever told anyone. The colorist even put them in pink and green at the end of Extermination. There is a whole theory thread lurking out on Tumblr about the evidence.

So no, definitely not crazy!
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-05-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Haha, yep. I remember the theories that were abuzz when these two were first introduced. It would still be cool if they could somehow make them Rogue and Gambit's kids.

I do like your idea of them becoming adoptive parents, BobbysWorld. It's nice to see more of those parents represented in fiction and this couple would be excellent candidates for it.
    Make Good Art

Here's something that I just barley noticed from moment 40 on the list, X-Men #4. I never noticed that Rogue was flipping off Remy. I always half looked at that and assumed she was pointing her finger in a nagging way. Anyone else not notice this?

35A3B156-15E2-4202-8BF8-1F7874E99F94[382].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    Here's something that I just barley noticed from moment 40 on the list, X-Men #4. I never noticed that Rogue was flipping off Remy. I always half looked at that and assumed she was pointing her finger in a nagging way. Anyone else not notice this?

35A3B156-15E2-4202-8BF8-1F7874E99F94[382].jpg
    Oh yeah! I totally noticed that. And I flipping love it. Because honestly she should be flipping him off after that stunt. But I think they have the kind of relationship where they probably can flip each other off and take it as flirting. ... or maybe because that's just part of my own personal love language, hence my interpretation?

Spectacular Member

Hi folks, long time now see! It's been 3yrs since I've been here! Just wanted to mention, guess folks have heard X-Men XTAS is returning as X-Men '97 on Disney plus. They are taping the episodes right now, and
    Lenore and Chris the voices of OG Romy is returning! I got to listen to the cast at Comic Con recordings, and Chris said he was astonished about the popularity of the series to this day and led him and the cast to return! Lenore just said on Twitter she is so excited about the latest episode she voiced for Rogue so sounds like a great run (series will air next year)

Spectacular Member

I do remember one of my last posts here, I was on a scavenger hunt on the one comic panel I haven't been able to find/see since I last saw it on Tumblr years ago. It was Romy in a dark jungle? park? forest? Where Rogue looks frustrated and walks past Gambit. She's walking to the right. Next panel Gambit looks cunning/ambitious as if he's wondering if he can catch/win over Rogue.
    For the life of me I've seen/have every Romy issue but this one. They were in their original (well the 90s) costumes, I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey78 View Post
    Hi folks, long time now see! It's been 3yrs since I've been here! Just wanted to mention, guess folks have heard X-Men XTAS is returning as X-Men '97 on Disney plus. They are taping the episodes right now, and
    Lenore and Chris the voices of OG Romy is returning! I got to listen to the cast at Comic Con recordings, and Chris said he was astonished about the popularity of the series to this day and led him and the cast to return! Lenore just said on Twitter she is so excited about the latest episode she voiced for Rogue so sounds like a great run (series will air next year)
    Yep, hopefully Rogue and Gambit will be as fun in this one and used as often in this one as they were in the old series!

I do remember one of my last posts here, I was on a scavenger hunt on the one comic panel I haven't been able to find/see since I last saw it on Tumblr years ago. It was Romy in a dark jungle? park? forest? Where Rogue looks frustrated and walks past Gambit. She's walking to the right. Next panel Gambit looks cunning/ambitious as if he's wondering if he can catch/win over Rogue.
    For the life of me I've seen/have every Romy issue but this one. They were in their original (well the 90s) costumes, I recall.
    Is it this page?-

If so, this page is from the X-Men promotional insert of NFL Pro Action magazine #2. X-Men #2 Savage Embrace. Love Gambit casually hitting that gator as they are walking through the swamp by the way lol.

Spectacular Member

Oh thanks I had that issue. The panels were darker (at night?) and it was two panels. I'm looking at that top 100 list I recognized all the issues except "My power isn't like yours, it works THROUGH CLOTHES" X-Men and Captain Universe: Sleeping Giants Vol 1

Welcome back Smokey!!!

Pretty darn excited for X-Men '97. I hope we get a whole lot of new Rogue and Gambit moments and perhaps they even move their relationship forward. 🤞 I'm vastly curious where the characters will be when this picks up. Is the school still going? If so who's running it? Have the characters scattered or stayed together? Which comic plots will they mine for new episodes?!