Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

From Today's X-Men Monday:

AIPT: Back to Betsy’s knights — X-Fan Kristen said we’re looking at a very different Gambit from the end of Excalibur, who was kind of just having fun. Is he feeling a bit lonely or left behind as Rogue’s time with the X-Men continues? Her being on a different team was definitely a big change for them both.

Tini: I’m glad you’re clocking that — as someone who has been married to my very best friend for a long time, having to be separated for work can be hard. Remy and Rogue are both passionate heroes, but their work takes them elsewhere, and even being understanding of that doesn’t repair all of the sadness that comes from just being away from your best friend and lover. Coming to understand our feelings around that is part of growth, and Gambit’s growing. They love each other so much.
    Make Good Art

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post

AIPT: Back to Betsy’s knights — X-Fan Kristen said we’re looking at a very different Gambit from the end of Excalibur, who was kind of just having fun. Is he feeling a bit lonely or left behind as Rogue’s time with the X-Men continues? Her being on a different team was definitely a big change for them both.

Tini: I’m glad you’re clocking that — as someone who has been married to my very best friend for a long time, having to be separated for work can be hard. Remy and Rogue are both passionate heroes, but their work takes them elsewhere, and even being understanding of that doesn’t repair all of the sadness that comes from just being away from your best friend and lover. Coming to understand our feelings around that is part of growth, and Gambit’s growing. They love each other so much.
    It's funny. I don't feel like Tini's Rogue (or Duggan's) loves Gambit very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzz View Post
    It's funny. I don't feel like Tini's Rogue (or Duggan's) loves Gambit very much.
    No way... (ironic way) she just gave Apo the beating of his life and killed him for touching her husband.

I just skimmed the interview for that part. There really was no other question to ask if you are suppose to have a Gambit question. Her answer really reinforces a suspection I have that she cannot look objectively at her work and see nuances in characters and their emotions. With limited space what we get from Gambit is surly, sad and whiny. The question was even framed to make her aware of this by calling him fun in Excalibur. If she wants to portray Romy love then why have him act like his is miserable with his teammates. We don’t explore their motivation in the first place so we have nothing to balance out these portrayals. All that we get is this mismatched cast that doesn’t seem to enjoy hanging out with each other or care for the quest.

LOL! "I'm glad you're clocking that", LOL. Howard has never, ever been subtle when it comes to her characterization. All the characters behave like spoiled children and all very much wear their emotions on their sleeves. If it's not Betsy angry and yelling about something it is one of the other characters whining about something else. And it's honestly embarrassing seeing Gambit behave this way about Rogue after all they have been through. They are both adults with a lot of experience and understand having responsibilities and having to be apart sometimes. This is just the start of a developing nation so of course they should know there is going to be a lot to do(especially for senior, experienced X-Men)and as far as they are all aware they have an eternity together due to the resurrection protocols. Besides I still truly don't understand why they can't still spend time together at night and at off times when they have INSTANTANEOUSLY transporting gateways scattered all over the place. I mean we have seen him at the Treehouse twice already. It is all nonsensical, but that is nothing new with Howard's writing.
    Last edited by thjan; 05-09-2022 at 02:00 PM.

I mean ... glad we "clocked that"? She practically bashed us over the head letting us know Gambit is unhappy. It ain't subtle. There really wasn't much nuance to it to indicate he was anything but bitter towards Rogue. I didn't feel any love there. As usual she leaves it up to the reader to figure out the motivations and context for any feelings on display. But I guess this seems healthy right? About as much as him being overly clingy and totally codependent in Excalibur while Rogue totally ignored his feelings about everything.

And if anyone thinks this means she isn't planning to kill him off still, guess again.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    LOL! "I'm glad you're clocking that", LOL. Howard has never, ever been subtle when it comes to her characterization. All the characters behave like spoiled children and all very much wear their emotions on their sleeves. If it's not Betsy angry and yelling about something it is one of the other characters whining about something else. And it's honestly embarrassing seeing Gambit behave this way about Rogue after all they have been through. They are both adults with a lot of experience and understand having responsibilities and having to be apart sometimes. This is just the start of a developing nation so of course they should know there is going to be a lot to do(especially for senior, experienced X-Men)and as far as they are all aware they have an eternity together due to the resurrection protocols. Besides I still truly don't understand why they can't still spend time together at night and at off times when they have INSTANTANEOUSLY transporting gateways scattered all over the place. I mean we have seen him at the Treehouse twice already. It is all nonsensical, but that is nothing new with Howard's writing.
    I appreciate that we had the same reaction to this statement.

And totally agree, Gambit has been doing f@#* all in Excalibur and X-Men clearly shows he has free time. Rogue did virtually nothing in X-Men for 6 months. It doesn't track they can't find time together.

Even so, in another writers hands this narrative could actually have been interesting. But Tini simply can't write Gambit in a way that's faithful to any of his continuity.

The art looks good still though. Big sighs. When will it end.

I mean, the interview wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be…I thought “Betsy” would be every other word. It was just every other sentence. The “clocked that” and “balancing a large cast” gave me a chuckle. As for character motivations, “Gambit sad” is more reasoning than we got in Excalibur. Don’t go looking for depth in a shallow puddle.

Here I am ... WANTING a Rogue and/or Gambit comic, yet feeling so apathetic towards both their current titles that I have now skipped both titles two weeks in a row in lieu of reviewing spoilers instead and feel I have missed nothing.

So either I'm not the target audience for these books or they're just missing their mark. Whatever the deal, ready for a change up any time Marvel. I don't relish these stints of X-abstinence. Can we not do this for a whole decade again?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Here I am ... WANTING a Rogue and/or Gambit comic, yet feeling so apathetic towards both their current titles that I have now skipped both titles two weeks in a row in lieu of reviewing spoilers instead and feel I have missed nothing.

So either I'm not the target audience for these books or they're just missing their mark. Whatever the deal, ready for a change up any time Marvel. I don't relish these stints of X-abstinence. Can we not do this for a whole decade again?
    No joke, I've been working on a short series of tumblr posts expressing this exact frustration. I don't know if I will even post them but it's been nice to just word vomit.
    Make Good Art

No joke, I've been working on a short series of tumblr posts expressing this exact frustration. I don't know if I will even post them but it's been nice to just word vomit.
    Let ‘Er rip. It’s cathartic. Or it’ll just make you madder. I will heart it regardless.

I actually think this current batch of writers give, at worst, a mediocre story. Not bad, certainly not terrible. Most of them are very good or entertaining. I feel like whatever happens to the characters (murder, dismemberment, possession, the usge), they’re still “safe” in a way because the writers treat them respectfully. Only Excalibur’s writing fills me existential dread and ennui, bc they aren’t safe or treated like they have feelings, history or motives. They don’t even have their powers right, they’re unrecognizable. This is straight up character abuse.

as for X-Men, which I like, I hope Rogue and Sunfire say, y’know what, we’re feeling a bit redundant and could put our efforts to something better. Neither of them come off as worse for wear at the end of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Let ‘Er rip. It’s cathartic. Or it’ll just make you madder. I will heart it regardless.

I actually think this current batch of writers give, at worst, a mediocre story. Not bad, certainly not terrible. Most of them are very good or entertaining. I feel like whatever happens to the characters (murder, dismemberment, possession, the usge), they’re still “safe” in a way because the writers treat them respectfully. Only Excalibur’s writing fills me existential dread and ennui, bc they aren’t safe or treated like they have feelings, history or motives. They don’t even have their powers right, they’re unrecognizable. This is straight up character abuse.

as for X-Men, which I like, I hope Rogue and Sunfire say, y’know what, we’re feeling a bit redundant and could put our efforts to something better. Neither of them come off as worse for wear at the end of the run.
    Thanks, Nico! It started as something I would post but just writing it down has been fairly cathartic, so we'll see if my whining is seen by others

I would agree with your assessment. I haven't been reading most of the books, just lurking on the spoilers threads and gauging peoples' reactions and that seems to be the case. You get some instances like X-Men Red where people are gushing over Magneto or Storm, but it seems like most of these books are "good enough", even if the character work isn't necessarily stellar. And I think in some cases, people are just happy to see their characters get some panel time. I would gladly let any one of them take Gambit's spot in KoX.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post

Yeah, I agree. Rogue is not being poorly written or badly represented in her book. Just generally under utilized. I thought maybe we'd be done with that after issue #10.

Gambit's usage though ... is constantly a source of active frustration and dread.

But both books are leaving me feeling apathetic in general. There's not much anticipation for the next issue beyond just wanting to see them wrap things up entirely so we can move on to something else for them both.

Remind me ... when do X-Men '92 #2 and Gambit '22 #1 come out now? The printing delays aren't helpful either.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Rogue is not being poorly written or badly represented in her book. Just generally under utilized. I thought maybe we'd be done with that after issue #10.

Gambit's usage though ... is constantly a source of active frustration and dread.

But both books are leaving me feeling apathetic in general. There's not much anticipation for the next issue beyond just wanting to see them wrap things up entirely so we can move on to something else for them both.

Remind me ... when do X-Men '92 #2 and Gambit '22 #1 come out now? The printing delays aren't helpful either.
    X-Men '92 #2 and Knight of X #2 comes out on 6/1/22. Gambit #1 on 7/27/22 that's right JULY 27th...
    Last edited by Romy134; 05-12-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    X-Men '92 #2 and Knight of X #2 comes out on 6/1/22. Gambit #1 on 7/27/22 that's right JULY 27th...
    Woof ... yeah that one hurts. Gonna be another long summer.