Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    In House of 92 #2, Rogue leads a team of gay/bi Marauders and it's amazing lol

She tells Gambit he can't be jealous of that crew as she points to Iceman, Northstar, Rictor, Shatterstar and Grizzly.
    LOL Nice! That seems fun at least. Might eventually check it out.

Saw some panels from KoX on Twitter. Art is great still. Seems like better usage for Gambit at least. Athough I'm still not at all particularly interested in the plot so much that I really want to invest in this. And I agree, I think this is setting Remy up for a fall ... hopefully at least a heroic one. But I'll stand back and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Probably the best Gambit has been so far under Tini’s pen. Witch means 4/10 for me. Several points deducted just because she keeps insisting that he talks in third person. I didn’t count it but it might damn well be every time he speaks. It seems like he might die next issue. So consider this issue Tini’s fattening up the goose before the slaughter.
    I for real started laughing when I read the bolded line after the first sentence!

And yeah, I agree with those that think this is just Howard throwing Gambit a bone before killing him off sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    I for real started laughing when I read the bolded line after the first sentence!

And yeah, I agree with those that think this is just Howard throwing Gambit a bone before killing him off sadly.
    Glad it brought some joy.

Bobbysworld has written some interesting things in Remy's appreciation thread on whether Gambit will die.
    He makes a lot of sense but I am still not 100% swayed. I think Gambit will die next issue or in some other way be changed. Let's get it over with.

Hey hey guys. So I was listening to an X-Men podcast about Grant Morrison's run on X-Men ( I know old stuff, but I like to kill time this way). Hopefully I am not bringing up a topic that has been talk about to death. I never read the run because I was caught up in X-treme. But out of nowhere during the podcast they dropped that Grant originally wanted to kill off Rogue and replace her!? so I did some research about it, and wow things could have been way different. here is some quotes from a article I found. I hate posting long messaged but I want you all to get the full scope of what was said.

But it’s Rogue that is perhaps the most interesting element of this version of New X-Men. Even as Morrison was writing his manifesto, the cartoon X-Men: Evolution was on the air, running for four seasons on Kids’ WB. Evolution featured a Rogue radically dissonant from what the comics’ had – a reclusive, goth-style girl. More culturally important, the X-Men movie, also debuting in 2000, had a similar Rogue, a fearful girl, running away from home. Morrison proposed to follow that depiction, but to adopt it in a rather cataclysmic fashion. Arguing that “the idea that a woman who can’t touch anyone safely would have the self-confident, brash personality of a Southern sexbomb was always unconvincing,” he intended to kill Rogue off entirely, and replace her with a new character more in line with the portrayal in the movie and cartoon.

This may have went through but Chris Claremont snatched up Rogue for X-Treme X-Men, so Grants though about taking Remy instead.

With Rogue out of the picture, Morrison turned towards Gambit, then. He planned to rework their dynamic by flipping it on its head, with Rogue as the desperate lover, and Gambit as the one not able to touch his beloved. It was a, to quote a May 2001 email chain between Morrison, Claremont, and Marvel editors Mark Powers and Matt Hicks, “nice new twist on the doomed, romantic mediaevalism of their love.” Gambit would be caught up in the destruction of Genosha by the wild tri-sentinel, and his powers, flaring wildly, would transform him into a new “electromagnetic phantom form” to survive. Still able to communicate, but unable to actually interact with the physical world, he’d work with Rogue while she tries to find a cure for his condition.

The idea met with positive reception among Marvel staff, and got to such a point that they were asking artist Frank Quitely to add Gambit in. But again, it was Claremont, who had plans for Gambit in X-Treme X-Men, who vetoed it. It’s interesting to speculate on what might have been if the X-Men were to have lost one of their own in the destruction, but instead, it is simply a footnote for the

So again Claremont ended all these plans when he called dibs on Remy. Initially when I read this I hated the first idea about killing off Rogue, but the second idea... Oh I would not have mined that at all. They may have expanded Gambits powers and maybe he would have kept them afterwards? being able to turn into a ghost form would have been cool. So would you guys have rather they delved into Grant's story or do you prefer what we got with X-Treme -X-Men? I think Rogue came out of X-Treme X-Men fine and I prefer he not dying off, But I think Gambit may have Come out of Grants story in a better place than he did X-Treme. Remy may have gotten a bigger spot light.

Quote Originally Posted by Romy134 View Post
    Hey hey guys. So I was listening to an X-Men podcast about Grant Morrison's run on X-Men ( I know old stuff, but I like to kill time this way). Hopefully I am not bringing up a topic that has been talk about to death. I never read the run because I was caught up in X-treme. But out of nowhere during the podcast they dropped that Grant originally wanted to kill off Rogue and replace her!? so I did some research about it, and wow things could have been way different. here is some quotes from a article I found. I hate posting long messaged but I want you all to get the full scope of what was said.

This may have went through but Chris Claremont snatched up Rogue for X-Treme X-Men, so Grants though about taking Remy instead.

So again Claremont ended all these plans when he called dibs on Remy. Initially when I read this I hated the first idea about killing off Rogue, but the second idea... Oh I would not have mined that at all. They may have expanded Gambits powers and maybe he would have kept them afterwards? being able to turn into a ghost form would have been cool. So would you guys have rather they delved into Grant's story or do you prefer what we got with X-Treme -X-Men? I think Rogue came out of X-Treme X-Men fine and I prefer he not dying off, But I think Gambit may have Come out of Grants story in a better place than he did X-Treme. Remy may have gotten a bigger spot light.
    In a way Romy was still so relatively new that it could hav survived a twist to the no touching phase. Yet X-treme gave us that period of them living together witch in many ways made them survive as a couple. They could have risked falling by the wayside as so many relationships did. Warren & Betsy is just a memory now, under Tini even less.

It would have been fun seeing Grant write Remy. Don’t know how well it would have gone. Maybe we never would have gotten Fantomex or perhaps they would have interacted earlier.

I think the impossibility of Rogue is a factor why so many like her. A woman who can’t touch without pain or possibly killing should be a basket case. So much trauma that many stories with her would be just trying to untangle her. A more realistic character and story but less bombastic and entertaining.

G&R dodged a bullet.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    G&R dodged a bullet.
    No kidding. I like Morrison as a writer but this doesn't really appeal to me at all unless as an AU thing
    Make Good Art

Why would it have been necessary to kill off Rogue? Couldn’t Grant have made her go through a goth phase like a normal person.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    G&R dodged a bullet.
    Agreed! Both ideas sound terrible to me and while I enjoyed Morrison's DC work, I am being completely serious when I say there was nothing I liked about Morrison's X-Men run. Nothing.

I am also not interested in increased character prominence for my favorites if they are completely changed or ruined in the process.

I've always hated this idea while also being weirdly intrigued by it. Like would this new Rogue have the white streak and look like Rogue? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyway, Mike Carey basically wrote Rogue as Evolution Rogue grown up, and it worked really well without feeling out of character at all.

Dear Grant Morrison ... thanks, I HATE it.

LOL Yeah, I'm glad he never got his mits on them.

His New X-Men did not appeal to me as it was. I was very happy with X-Treme.

I also don't think he understands how women work. Just because you act confident doesn't mean you are confident. And anyone can change their aesthetic. Making Rogue match the cartoon or that lame mousey Anna Paquin version would have ticked me off.

Neither would I have enjoyed yet another storyline where Rogue and Gambit have a touch issue. Been there, done that. He couldn't touch her for a bit in the Nicieza run and already went New Son once before.

Get new material already, writers. Geesh.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 06-06-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Dear Grant Morrison ... thanks, I HATE it.
    Cackling maniacally. ������

Yeah, ultimately I enjoyed X-Treme X-Men way to much to let it go. And I find it weird he didn't like Rogue as is. To me the more TAS Rogue gets the better. The way they portrayed her in the movies was a shambles. But still I am slightly intrigued by the phantom powers Gambit would have gotten. Although I am pretty annoyed with writers wanting to kill/send gambit away for long periods of time, seems to be gimmick/character trait for him.

Yeah, ultimately I enjoyed X-Treme X-Men way to much to let it go. And I find it weird he didn't like Rogue as is. To me the more TAS Rogue gets the better. The way they portrayed her in the movies was a shambles. But still I am slightly intrigued by the phantom powers Gambit would have gotten. Although I am pretty annoyed with writers wanting to kill/send gambit away for long periods of time, seems to be gimmick/character trait for him.
    LOL! Maybe those writers enjoy having Remy roaming about the periphery, while randomly squaring-off against his teammates (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2022 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Phantom powers would have been a great improvement over being turned into the Fartsman of the Apocalypse. I will give him that.