Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Has anyone read Batman: Beyond the White Knight #1? Opinions?

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Has anyone read Batman: Beyond the White Knight #1? Opinions?
    It's really good. I'm not a big White Knight fan, and I really dislike some of Murphy's twists but this new series is something else and I can't wait for the next chapter. Unfortunately, we only have like 4 or 5 pages of Terry and, for the moment, it's more Batman Family book than a Batman Beyond book.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    It's really good. I'm not a big White Knight fan, and I really dislike some of Murphy's twists but this new series is something else and I can't wait for the next chapter. Unfortunately, we only have like 4 or 5 pages of Terry and, for the moment, it's more Batman Family book than a Batman Beyond book.
    Seconded! Not much Terry so far, but def worth reading. Excellent art & something fresh storywise.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

I also enjoyed it, despite only a token appearance by Terry. It is, after all, a first issue setting up the premise for the rest of the series. It was important to get everybody up to speed on where the players are since the last White Knight. I expect Terry will have a much larger role next issue.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

DC Preview: Batman Beyond: Neo-Year #1

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/01/dc...nd-neo-year-1/

BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

First issue was great, solid follow up to the UL issue.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Am I only one who is not really fond of Barbara taking over her father's position?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Am I only one who is not really fond of Barbara taking over her father's position?
    Gotta take it up with the DCAU, but I don’t really like the concept either.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yes, Barbara as Commissioner has been part of the Beyondiverse since the animated days. It certainly wasn't the only route they could have gone with "future Barbara" but it is the one they chose. And it did allow for some nice storylines in the animated series.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Mighty Member

BATMAN BEYOND: NEO-YEAR #5
    Written by COLLIN KELLY and JACKSON LANZING
    Art and cover by MAX DUNBAR
    Variant cover by CHRISTIAN WARD
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 5 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 8/2/22
    You can never go home again! Neo-Gotham and its Sword have compromised and gravely injured officer Beam Boonma. To save her life, Terry McGinnis will bring her to what remains of the Batcave, begging one of his newest foes, Gestalt, to help him. Terry has one last chance to save Neo-Gotham from itself. He'll have to take everything he's learned in this year without Bruce and redefine the legend of Batman once and for all.

There are still issues left to turn it around, but I have to say that, IMHO, Batman: Beyond the White Knight has been too heavy on Bruce and Bruce-age clan (Joker, Harley, Dick etc.) and just throwing in Terry almost as a prop. Still, maybe Terry will emerge more in the remaining issues.

By contrast, Neo-Year has been very Terry-focussed and showing an appealing maturity and depth to him.

The most recent issue of Batman: Beyond the White Knight has finally given us some meat to this version of Terry. And not a moment too soon. I was despairing that this story was just going to be All Bruce All The Time, but we finally have a legit Terry subplot. Oddly, the story is now going to go off on a tangent with Red Hood, but if it advances the Terry subplot, I am okay with that.

Neo-Year is still a better read, though.

Some thoughts (with spoilers) about latests Neo-year issue:

So we got some info about Sword of Gotham this issue and I didn't really understand why Terry kept mentioning Lumos as being behind him? Isn't it obvious that this is Gotham's doing? Sure, Lumos has similar technology, but he is not the big fish here.

Either way it feels a bit similar to OMACs, I'm not very knowledgeable about Beyond-verse (haven't really revisited the animated series since it first aired) and did they have something similar before? Or are they revamping some Futures End elements here?

I can't recall anything from the animated series that would fit. I agree, there is a very strong OMAC vibe. It remains to be seen whether that is a clue or whether it is just that all insane artificial intelligences think alike.

I have suppressed most of my memories of Future's End, so I can't say about that.