Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Nice. I wish writers would stop doing the 3rd person thing but at this point I don't see it going away lol
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Nice. I wish writers would stop doing the 3rd person thing but at this point I don't see it going away lol
    lol, he wasn't speaking much in 3rd person for a long while, but now that XTAS is back it might make a big comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I love that he had speaking lines that were actually somewhat personal and we get to remember his connection to Storm, but that 3rd person speaking pattern can get chucked right out the window.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I love that he had speaking lines that were actually somewhat personal and we get to remember his connection to Storm, but that 3rd person speaking pattern can get chucked right out the window.
    I genuinely like the 3rd person but not for everything. If it is overused like in that panel then it’s definitely annoying. I think instead of saying his name it would have been better to just omit the name and pronoun and just say something like “just wanted to check and make sure you ain’t gonna break her heart again”
    Last edited by Gripstir; 01-28-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Its one of those things that I like him using just every once in awhile, but in like....a very self-aware kinda way like he knows that it makes people roll their eyes and sometimes that's useful to him and sometimes it just flat out amuses him.

Last edited by NicoPony; 01-29-2022 at 02:55 PM.

LOL Holy dialogue, Batman ... I always forget how many word this man gets on a page. So it looks like confirmation that this is an "Adventures with Lil' Ro" tale. Not bad art.

I am hoping since the title says GAMBIT it won’t be hijacked as the adventures of Lil ‘Ro.

Comics need to go back to having dialogue. Ms Williams packs in the word bubbles too and I’m glad to have it. When you’ve got 22 pages to tell a story, I’d rather it be in word bubbles than pages of…exposition with no character development. Backstory and explanations are great Hickman, but thanks I don’t want to read more email. It takes two minutes to read X-Men because it’s all pictures. Very nice pictures, but I did pay $5 for entertainment.

I’ll look forward to Gambit acting more like Gambit.

Astonishing Member

I want Bendis' style of the same panel of talking heads being repeated twelve times per page with no variation whatsoever and Hickman's style of reusing art of a previous moment in time but now with added context 'that totally change everything' to fight.

And like, take each other completely out. So they both lose and we all win.

Claremont confirmed on Instagram that Gambit mini for beginning of Summer. Who announces June 2022 book in December 2021?

And at the very start of Summer, one if the coolest mini-series I’ve done in quite a while — Gambit (& ‘Ro) with brilliant art by Sid Kotian!
    But — there’s something else in the wind, that of course I’m not supposed to talk about. ��
    It’s a really cool concept, involving some of my favorite characters. I’m really jazzed — this is a wonderful opportunity — both for me as a creator & I hope you as readers. So keep your fingers crossed & watch this space for future updates.

It looks fun.

It all but confirms that it will be a desert walk until summer for me. Old comics it is until then. With the added frustration that will role in with KoX and Gambit being used as a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I am hoping since the title says GAMBIT it won’t be hijacked as the adventures of Lil ‘Ro.

Comics need to go back to having dialogue. Ms Williams packs in the word bubbles too and I’m glad to have it. When you’ve got 22 pages to tell a story, I’d rather it be in word bubbles than pages of…exposition with no character development. Backstory and explanations are great Hickman, but thanks I don’t want to read more email. It takes two minutes to read X-Men because it’s all pictures. Very nice pictures, but I did pay $5 for entertainment.

I’ll look forward to Gambit acting more like Gambit.
    Oh totally. That wasn't a complaint. It's just kind of shocking to see when you've grown accustomed to the modern comics that often give so little per page. And yes, I definitely prefer the "shown" of dialogue over the "told" of data pages ... with maybe the exception that I like the occasional map. I don't like them being mandatory and appearing twice in every book. Hickman even said in an interview that the data pages are meant to disrupt the reader, which ... is apparently a good thing? *shrugs*

I'm cautiously optimistic for this book. I'm wondering how much it will add to Remy's backstory versus just being a fun adventure with Storm. I'm guessing probably the later? But if we can see his proper personality again and just how skilled he is, it will be worthwhile.

Still wishing he wasn't being so totally wasted in the current era though. There is so much wasted potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    It looks fun.

It all but confirms that it will be a desert walk until summer for me. Old comics it is until then. With the added frustration that will role in with KoX and Gambit being used as a clown.
    no kidding...no water in sight. this week's choices in X-Men reading material are either small angry white man with animal powers or large angry white man with animal powers. diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Oh totally. That wasn't a complaint. It's just kind of shocking to see when you've grown accustomed to the modern comics that often give so little per page. And yes, I definitely prefer the "shown" of dialogue over the "told" of data pages ... with maybe the exception that I like the occasional map. I don't like them being mandatory and appearing twice in every book. Hickman even said in an interview that the data pages are meant to disrupt the reader, which ... is apparently a good thing? *shrugs*

I'm cautiously optimistic for this book. I'm wondering how much it will add to Remy's backstory versus just being a fun adventure with Storm. I'm guessing probably the later? But if we can see his proper personality again and just how skilled he is, it will be worthwhile.

Still wishing he wasn't being so totally wasted in the current era though. There is so much wasted potential.
    holy crap, i re-read the Fall of the Mutants not that long ago and it was like...so---many---words. it was so dense.

i would trade data pages for thought bubbles. i can think of two instances where i liked a data page - one was prodigy's snarky email about investigating what sinister was up to and the other was the cuckoos' gossip at the gala. both gave more insight to the characters and what they're thinking. both might have been written by wells in hellions...

here's not so much a Gambit quote as a Gambit paragraph. this is like the "I Want" song in every musical. it's pretty cornball, but gambit making ridiculous grand statements isn't out of character.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 11.31.58 AM.jpg

Now and always, I choose to LAUGH.

i guess i like his perseverance, his willingness to try again, to get back up after he's been knocked flat. even crappy writing can't keep him down for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Claremont confirmed on Instagram that Gambit mini for beginning of Summer. Who announces June 2022 book in December 2021?

And at the very start of Summer, one if the coolest mini-series I’ve done in quite a while — Gambit (& ‘Ro) with brilliant art by Sid Kotian!
    But — there’s something else in the wind, that of course I’m not supposed to talk about. ��
    It’s a really cool concept, involving some of my favorite characters. I’m really jazzed — this is a wonderful opportunity — both for me as a creator & I hope you as readers. So keep your fingers crossed & watch this space for future updates.
    Uggg I hate teases because I'm not sure if its Gambit related. I sure hope it is, and its something modern.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    no kidding...no water in sight. this week's choices in X-Men reading material are either small angry white man with animal powers or large angry white man with animal powers. diversity.

holy crap, i re-read the Fall of the Mutants not that long ago and it was like...so---many---words. it was so dense.

i would trade data pages for thought bubbles. i can think of two instances where i liked a data page - one was prodigy's snarky email about investigating what sinister was up to and the other was the cuckoos' gossip at the gala. both gave more insight to the characters and what they're thinking. both might have been written by wells in hellions...

here's not so much a Gambit quote as a Gambit paragraph. this is like the "I Want" song in every musical. it's pretty cornball, but gambit making ridiculous grand statements isn't out of character.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 11.31.58 AM.jpg

Now and always, I choose to LAUGH.

i guess i like his perseverance, his willingness to try again, to get back up after he's been knocked flat. even crappy writing can't keep him down for long.
    Oh, nice one! Yeah I like this QUOTE and moment. Maybe it says as much or more about how Claremont sees Gambit? Which, as the creator of the character I do like to put some weight behind. He's essentially not going to let this particular villain of the week throw his past in his face to defeat him. And this is interesting because Claremont is acknowledging and letting the Mutant Massacre retcon stand here rather than ignoring it. It's still kind of a 180 from when we've seen Gambit near drowning in shame and despair. It's two extremes of personality, but I actually don't mind holding both to be true at once. I would say this uber optimist Remy is just a mask he is wearing to fool the villain, but doesn't Dirge feed off of negative emotions? So either he is amazing at compartmentalizing (which is totally possible) or he really has moved on from these past events.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-31-2022 at 08:05 PM.