Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NEW MUTANTS LETHAL LEGION Coming 3/23 by Charlie Jane Anders and Enid Balam

But who is behind the Lethal Legion? Has Krakoa’s youngest class finally met its match? Everything leads to the Fall of X – don’t sleep on the start.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...balam-escapade
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

They really are pushing these new characters.

Still pulling out New Mutants stories or some form of them, I see?

I was tradewaiting the Ayala run so I'll check it out.

I feel so sorry for Mirage and Karma (once leaders) for becoming nothing more than c listers nowadays.

Where is the Mirage, who was said to be the next X-Men leader? Who fought for her life and shot arrows with broken bones.
    Where is Karma, who was tuned into an overweight mutant and walked and fought her way through the dessert all alone?

Astonishing Member

So is this a mini series or a series which will now not last more than 6 to 12 issues?

Also "Youngest class". I'm counting 3 characters on the cover dating back to the 1980's, who had been in universe adults for years and were followed by at least 4 generations of students. There are core X-men members who had been younger than the New Mutants.

Heck all 3 of them were in paramilitary spec ops teams that involved plenty of action and bloody fights.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    They really are pushing these new characters.
    What else are they supposed to do though?

It's not like there is any functional system anymore to test the popularity or interest in new characters anymore, since hardly enough people read, or even buy these books and of the later too many do so because of a collectors hobby focused on title names, variant covers and occasional long established characters.

So it can feel like creating new characters is not about interesting or lasting stories anymore anyway, but attempts at quickly gaining positive recognition or the idea of creating the next big thing, even if it's on the mountain of failed and rejected precursors.

Besides we know what the X-editor has himself admit about the vicious cycle of teenage mutant characters these days. Gotta fill the overflowing pot.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-21-2022 at 04:15 PM.

Push other characters that have bigger fan bases if they want a title to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    So is this a mini series or a series which will now not last more than 6 to 12 issues?

Also "Youngest class". I'm counting 3 characters on the cover dating back to the 1980's, who had been in universe adults for years and were followed by at least 4 generations of students. There are core X-men members who had been younger than the New Mutants.

Heck all 3 of them were in paramilitary spec ops teams that involved plenty of action and bloody fights.

What else are they supposed to do though?

It's not like there is any functional system anymore to test the popularity or interest in new characters anymore, since hardly enough people read, or even buy these books and of the later too many do so because of a collectors hobby focused on title names, variant covers and occasional long established characters.

So it can feel like creating new characters is not about interesting or lasting stories anymore anyway, but attempts at quickly gaining positive recognition or the idea of creating the next big thing, even if it's on the mountain of failed and rejected precursors.

Besides we know what the X-editor has himself admit about the vicious cycle of teenage mutant characters these days. Gotta fill the overflowing pot.
    This is a 5 issue mini
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Mighty Member

So is this just the all female team of New Mutants like the all female X-men team? Can someone save Moonstar from this hell she is in?

Besides the REAL New Mutants, I was never interested in any of the younger characters that were introduced except for Anole, but they pretty much messed his character up.

Give me this roster
    Moonstar
    Warpath
    Magma
    Rictor
    Shatterstar
    Boom Boom

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Push other characters that have bigger fan bases if they want a title to succeed.
    Well that's the thing though. One gets the impression that is not even a goal anymore.

Heros will fight and kill each other,
    Writers' children will defile companionship.
    It is harsh in the world, bankruptcy rife
    a cancelation age, a reboot age, stories are riven
    a failed push age, a forsaken character age before the world goes headlong.
    No buyer will have mercy on the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    This is a 5 issue mini
    Thanks. So it doesn't even need enough sales to be maintained.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-21-2022 at 04:29 PM.

The Demon Bear said let me come out of retirement real quick and activate my fanbase. Thanks for posting!

"Everything leads to the Fall of X." Let's see.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Anders' issues of New Mutants have been fine. The plot is well written, if not terribly exciting, and I like the way she writes Rhane, Martha, and Leo. But, I don't really care much for Escapade so far, and I'm starting to actively dislike Morgan in these issues. Adding Karma and Dani will help keep my interest, so I'll give this mini a shot. I was unfamiliar with Balam's art, from what I can see in an image search, it looks very stylized but I think I like it. I hope the cover is a fake out and Shadow King isn't back to being a complete villain again, I really loved the work that Ayala did with the character and hope that gets respected.

Well, at least they're actually supporting Escapade, and not immediately abandoning her. I wonder if Essy will get enough traction for people outside of her author to use her. Not a fan of Anders' Martha, and the current arc is just kind of eh.

Also a bit bored by this lineup. We're always getting Dani, Karma and Wolfsbane, and we're not even getting the stories I've been wanted for them for years. (Ayala touching on Rahne's dead kid was the closest we got to closure on that story, for example.) They're just like whatever for me at this point. It doesn't look like this story wil take those ideas and run with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    So is this just the all female team of New Mutants like the all female X-men team? Can someone save Moonstar from this hell she is in?

Besides the REAL New Mutants, I was never interested in any of the younger characters that were introduced except for Anole, but they pretty much messed his character up.

Give me this roster
    Moonstar
    Warpath
    Magma
    Rictor
    Shatterstar
    Boom Boom
    Even making an all-female New Mutants team, you could easily do so with Dani, Shan, Rahne and some combination of Ilyanna, Amara, Tabitha, Lila, Theresa, Feral (boring...), Catseye (always wanted to see her on a team with Rahne!), etc. Plus various other young-ish female X-folk like Rachel, Kitty, Jubilation, Hisako, Sofia, Monet, Paige, etc.

Spectacular Member

The new character in the April O'Neil overalls is lame she belongs in the 80s... Stop pushing her on us ��