Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

I haven’t been reading Marauders. Might need to check it out if Cable’s involved though.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I haven’t been reading Marauders. Might need to check it out if Cable’s involved though.
    not exactly cable but it's in the dna.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Its probably not quite what you're thinking but he does seem to be connected to the Marauders' ongoing plot in several ways so he could be showing up at some point.

spoilers:
    First connection is that sometime between when Teen Cable let Old Cable take his place and went back into the future to resume the road to becoming Old Cable himself....he ended up spending a number of years living in the 2099 era, as one of that era's new X-Men. He was somewhere in his mid to late twenties here, and in a relationship with original X-Men 2099 cast member Shakti Haddad aka Cerebra. A telepath whose powers are specifically geared towards finding mutants, reading mutations, backing up peoples' psyche like a portable Cerebro unit, etc.

In the recent 2099 miniseries that revealed all of this, Cerebra was fatally wounded in an attack, and so Twenty-Something Cable took her back through time to Krakoa, so she was able to be backed up in time and then was resurrected by the Five. Twenty-Something Cable returned to the future since the Cables had agreed not to co-exist at the same times, but Cerebra remained in this time period and seems to be sticking around for the long haul, since Orlando says timelost X-Men are a tradition he wanted to add to and pay homage to X-Men 2099 at the same time, thus Cerebra is now like this generation's Cable or Bishop. She wasn't in this issue or joining the crew on their current mission but she is joining the crew as a regular next arc.

Next connection though is that the Marauders - who are currently two billion years in the past, trying to rescue a previous civilization of time-travel spawned mutants called Threshold - discovered that Threshold were the ones who originally created the sentient bacteria that became Arkea and John Sublime...as bio-weapons against their enemies, an undersea race called the Unbreathing that existed long before humanity ever evolved, and to whom oxygen was deadly. At some point after developing the Arkea/Sublime bacteria as weapons, a mutant from Threshold known as Nightfount unleashed Arkea and Sublime against their Threshold creators before defecting to join the Unbreathing. He claimed he was disgusted by Thresholders making sentient weapons that they were even thinking about using to wipe out an entire race, and that this was why he'd turned the bacteria on their makers and joining the Unbreathing. So currently Threshold is under siege from both the Unbreathing and Arkea and Sublime.

But the last page of this issue has new character Amass (set to be part of Bishop's War College series) - and presumably Kate Pryde riding shotgun in his body (he can fuse with other mutants) - anyway, they were taken captive by the Unbreathing and now are being confronted by Nightfount....who takes off his crab-shaped helmet to reveal....he's actually Stryfe. (And he's identified as such by name). So this makes it a pretty safe bet that "Nightfount's" claim of unleashing Arkea/Sublime and joining Threshold's enemies as a kind of conscientious protest....proooooobably total bullshit and its far more likely Stryfe ended up in Threshold at some point and engineered pitting them and the Unbreathing against each other as part of some larger plot we don't know the aims of yet.

So....next issue is the last one set in the past and after that starts the next arc back in the present, with the Marauders trying to resurrect Genosha all in one go, somehow....and since Threshold is a big part of Orlando's entire direction with this Marauders volume and there's no way he's wrapping up a big reveal like Stryfe being behind all of this in just one issue....its likely Stryfe is going to recur as important to the ongoing, overarching plot.

And with that in mind, I can't imagine that Orlando - who looooves acknowledging character ties and smaller, emotional beats - has no plans for Older/Current Cable to come into play at some point. Especially considering that he's yet to encounter.....Cerebra, who is now his ex-girlfriend from decades past (from his perspective) but that he must clearly remember having last seen when he brought her to Krakoa to save her life, knowing he wouldn't see her again until....he'd aged into his older self and returned to the present day to live in the Krakoan era. Where Cerebra now is.

Like. There's just no way that isn't intended to be significant, lol, and with Stryfe thrown into the mix....I think its only a matter of time before Cable drops in to say hi....or Cerebra takes a gate up to the Peak to force an encounter because she's very much the type of character who's impatient about emotional bullshit and is like let's stop avoiding each other and get to the inevitable uncomfortable/awkward encounter already.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Its probably not quite what you're thinking but he does seem to be connected to the Marauders' ongoing plot in several ways so he could be showing up at some point.

spoilers:
    First connection is that sometime between when Teen Cable let Old Cable take his place and went back into the future to resume the road to becoming Old Cable himself....he ended up spending a number of years living in the 2099 era, as one of that era's new X-Men. He was somewhere in his mid to late twenties here, and in a relationship with original X-Men 2099 cast member Shakti Haddad aka Cerebra. A telepath whose powers are specifically geared towards finding mutants, reading mutations, backing up peoples' psyche like a portable Cerebro unit, etc.

In the recent 2099 miniseries that revealed all of this, Cerebra was fatally wounded in an attack, and so Twenty-Something Cable took her back through time to Krakoa, so she was able to be backed up in time and then was resurrected by the Five. Twenty-Something Cable returned to the future since the Cables had agreed not to co-exist at the same times, but Cerebra remained in this time period and seems to be sticking around for the long haul, since Orlando says timelost X-Men are a tradition he wanted to add to and pay homage to X-Men 2099 at the same time, thus Cerebra is now like this generation's Cable or Bishop. She wasn't in this issue or joining the crew on their current mission but she is joining the crew as a regular next arc.

Next connection though is that the Marauders - who are currently two billion years in the past, trying to rescue a previous civilization of time-travel spawned mutants called Threshold - discovered that Threshold were the ones who originally created the sentient bacteria that became Arkea and John Sublime...as bio-weapons against their enemies, an undersea race called the Unbreathing that existed long before humanity ever evolved, and to whom oxygen was deadly. At some point after developing the Arkea/Sublime bacteria as weapons, a mutant from Threshold known as Nightfount unleashed Arkea and Sublime against their Threshold creators before defecting to join the Unbreathing. He claimed he was disgusted by Thresholders making sentient weapons that they were even thinking about using to wipe out an entire race, and that this was why he'd turned the bacteria on their makers and joining the Unbreathing. So currently Threshold is under siege from both the Unbreathing and Arkea and Sublime.

But the last page of this issue has new character Amass (set to be part of Bishop's War College series) - and presumably Kate Pryde riding shotgun in his body (he can fuse with other mutants) - anyway, they were taken captive by the Unbreathing and now are being confronted by Nightfount....who takes off his crab-shaped helmet to reveal....he's actually Stryfe. (And he's identified as such by name). So this makes it a pretty safe bet that "Nightfount's" claim of unleashing Arkea/Sublime and joining Threshold's enemies as a kind of conscientious protest....proooooobably total bullshit and its far more likely Stryfe ended up in Threshold at some point and engineered pitting them and the Unbreathing against each other as part of some larger plot we don't know the aims of yet.

So....next issue is the last one set in the past and after that starts the next arc back in the present, with the Marauders trying to resurrect Genosha all in one go, somehow....and since Threshold is a big part of Orlando's entire direction with this Marauders volume and there's no way he's wrapping up a big reveal like Stryfe being behind all of this in just one issue....its likely Stryfe is going to recur as important to the ongoing, overarching plot.

And with that in mind, I can't imagine that Orlando - who looooves acknowledging character ties and smaller, emotional beats - has no plans for Older/Current Cable to come into play at some point. Especially considering that he's yet to encounter.....Cerebra, who is now his ex-girlfriend from decades past (from his perspective) but that he must clearly remember having last seen when he brought her to Krakoa to save her life, knowing he wouldn't see her again until....he'd aged into his older self and returned to the present day to live in the Krakoan era. Where Cerebra now is.

Like. There's just no way that isn't intended to be significant, lol, and with Stryfe thrown into the mix....I think its only a matter of time before Cable drops in to say hi....or Cerebra takes a gate up to the Peak to force an encounter because she's very much the type of character who's impatient about emotional bullshit and is like let's stop avoiding each other and get to the inevitable uncomfortable/awkward encounter already.
    end of spoilers
    What he said. EEEEEEEEEEE! Marauders hitting them strides. I swear i don't know what's going on but i'm feeling that hickman early energy in the x-books this month like someone finally took the chain off and was like "F# * it! let's do this!" I don't feel the fall i feel the rise.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    What he said. EEEEEEEEEEE! Marauders hitting them strides. I swear i don't know what's going on but i'm feeling that hickman early energy in the x-books this month like someone finally took the chain off and was like "F# * it! let's do this!" I don't feel the fall i feel the rise.
    Like I'm not even trying to pretend that Marauders makes sense or isn't weird as ****, but once you just let go and enjoy the ride its so high-octane and nonstop off-the-wall action hijinks I'm just like, ya know what, I don't even care what's going on, I'm just here for the wtf-factor. But not like with X-Force where I'm mouthing wtf in silent horror, more like me gasping it out while I cackle at whatever the hell just came out of left field.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-07-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Well damn. That sounds crazy as hell, and now I have to catch up on this series. Thanks for the tip, folks!

Also, when Teen Cable came back he was with Aliyah (aka JenSkot), so clearly he’s a hoe like his father. With not one but two girlfriends during that period.

Can't wait for X-Men Red And Immortal X-Men next month!

New preview pages from Immortal #10. Powerful.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    New preview pages from Immortal #10. Powerful.

Very powerful emotional pages indeed. Like I said I can't wait for it.

Nice. That’s a cool Cable image.

Phil Noto cover variant

Nice. Xible looks cool.

So, fellow Cable fans (all three of you on this forum), what would you like to see happen with the character in 2023?

Here’s my wish list…

- Ben Percy drops X-Force and Al Ewing picks it up, relaunching it with Cable, Wiz Kid, Manifold, Weaponless Zsen and Thunderbird; but also keeping Sage, Domino and Deadpool. Sage and Wiz Kid on intel duty, while the rest are the field team under Cable’s command.

- Nathan supplants Brand as the Commander of S.W.O.R.D.

- He gets his own series or at least a mini, and let’s make it ‘Blood & Metal 2’ where we get some flashbacks of his mercenary days tied to something happening in the present.

- Some new additions to Cable’s rogues gallery plus some old faces… Kang, the Children of the Vault, Garrison Kane and a recommissioned Weapon P.R.I.M.E., Post and a new MLF, etc.