Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    They are fighting space bugs something Marvel allows even their white knight characters to squish. Though it would be very hard to impossible to make a morality play about it. I would like to know their rules in terms of characters and use of force. They seem to give certain characters anti-hero exceptions to using deadly force like Wolverine, Deadpool, Emma, and yes certainly Magneto. Crushing space bugs, zombies, projections, demons, etc. are all considered perfectly acceptable for white knight characters as that doesn't count as Marvel clearly defines it.

The interesting thing I have noticed is there is a big disconnect between what the general public thinks in terms of Lorna who tens of millions knows of her through The Gifted and Wolverine and the X-Men. Each version would certainly be considered a complex antihero or antivillain and what we have gotten from the comics where her antihero card expired in Marvel's eyes sometime after House of M and its been generic heroine though sometimes hot headed since then.

Duggan was the first ongoing writer since Bush was in office and popular to take a small step away from the white knight (or emotionally uncontrolled) tact in terms of how she conducted herself though you have to look hard for it. The comfy zone of publishing for the past decade and a half has been 90s Lorna only better written and one can't do morality plays or deep ethical questions or any kind of philosophical conflict with that.

Generic heroics and forced boyfriend and bad dad drama have replaced any kind of mutant activism, morality/philosophy plays, and everything else. I don't know if that is just lazy writing or a situation that exists because writers' hands are tied by whatever designation Marvel has given Lorna. I can't say Lorna has really been an interesting or captivating character in a lot of years, but I can say Duggan's Lorna didn't suck. I hope they don't over read that as it was more the resurrection of a tiny bit of her edge and the long dead princess 'tude that worked.
    Well to be honest I was talking about Lorna getting back her political edge, the way she did when Austen wrote her post failed wedding with Havok or when she was fighting on Genosha when everybody lost their powers, she definitely wasn´t an anti hero then and I personally don´t think she needs to become one to have an edge but you could relate to what she was thinking, symphatize with her and also want to know more about her political views who seemed to be a middle ground between Xavier and Magneto, something that was quite new before Scott was written in a similar way as well.

I don´t think she needs to become wolvie, Magneto or Emma, it would be interesting to symply see her pov´s in a political way because she´s a character who has been around on different places politically speaking, she wanted to have a normal life, she worked for the goverment, she worked for a company, she worked as part of a detective team, she ruled Genosha alongside Magneto, she almost died there as welland she´s one of the oldest X-men there and I feel like we hardly had seen her view of mutants politically without writers making her take a side because "insert important character at the moment for her" believes so as well.

I found Duggan´s Lorna to be quite fun and her coffee scenes where well done as well as her more fun side using her powers but I was dissapointed on his handle of her when it came to her own beliefs in mutant/human relationship and that´s why I think she lost her edge in that area, not because she´s not allowed to kill under certain circunstances but because her beliefs and ideals for being a hero or Krakoa´s hero hardly have been explored in my oppinion and it would be nice to see more of her in this area.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Well to be honest I was talking about Lorna getting back her political edge, the way she did when Austen wrote her post failed wedding with Havok or when she was fighting on Genosha
    I would very much agree with that. I had no idea what she felt about mutants, Krakoa, her past, etc. I felt Duggan played it very safe. At the same time, he left her family stuff up to Trial of Magneto which continued to beat the life out of her relationship to Magneto. Then it tried to sell us happy super sisters Wanda and Lorna without dealing with the bad blood between them and getting it out of the way which makes it real hard to take that relationship seriously now either.

I don't know what Lorna thinks and feels about mutants today because in the end of the day they have forgotten, or one might argue written out Genosha from her past and every time something huge happens with mutants like Judgement Day she is conveniently AWOL.

I found Duggan´s Lorna to be quite fun and her coffee scenes where well done as well as her more fun side using her powers but I was dissapointed on his handle of her when it came to her own beliefs in mutant/human relationship and that´s why I think she lost her edge in that area, not because she´s not allowed to kill under certain circunstances but because her beliefs and ideals for being a hero or Krakoa´s hero hardly have been explored in my oppinion and it would be nice to see more of her in this area.
    I was so burned by depictions of Lorna that failed in every way that I was willing to take crumbs. But, certainly I felt and said at the time X-Men wasted easy opportunities to show what motivates Lorna and what she fears in her dreams like in issue #4 or to explain her philosophy and worldview at all. Then she disappeared after issue 5 until the end. It was the best Lorna ongoing in ten years, but to be a great run for her one has to really explain Lorna's worldview and past which Austencanny as you note did.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-18-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I would very much agree with that. I had no idea what she felt about mutants, Krakoa, her past, etc. I felt Duggan played it very safe. At the same time, he left her family stuff up to Trial of Magneto which continued to beat the life out of her relationship to Magneto. Then it tried to sell us happy super sisters Wanda and Lorna without dealing with the bad blood between them and getting it out of the way which makes it real hard to take that relationship seriously now either.
    TOM destroying Lorna and Magneto relationship was my most hated part of that story and we only had wanda and Lorna hug an act like sisters without any actual character work for either of them, it feels unearned and it probably will be forgotten if marvel decides they must fight for one reason of another and that´s a shame.

I don't know what Lorna thinks and feels about mutants today because in the end of the day they have forgotten, or one might argue written out Genosha from her past and every time something huge happens with mutants like Judgement Day she is conveniently AWOL.
    Exactly, she´s out there fighthing for humans and being a hero of Krakoa and we don´t even know why she´s doing this, except that she likes her coffe while doing that, mutants from Genosha are coming back as she´s not even been seen talking to them which makes zero sense given the impact Genosha´s destruction had on her and them time she stayed fighting for the country.

I was so burned by depictions of Lorna that failed in every way that I was willing to take crumbs. But, certainly I felt and said at the time X-Men wasted easy opportunities to show what motivates Lorna and what she fears in her dreams like in issue #4 or to explain her philosophy and worldview at all. Then she disappeared after issue 5 until the end. It was the best Lorna ongoing in ten years, but to be a great run for her one has to really explain Lorna's worldview and past which Austencanny as you note did.
    Agree completely. I am ok with Duggan´s characterization of Lorna, I just need him to get into her worldview and I usually love Kelly Thompson´s handle on characters so I hope she gives Lorna some neccesary exploration on her motives and point of view.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Well to be honest I was talking about Lorna getting back her political edge, the way she did when Austen wrote her post failed wedding with Havok or when she was fighting on Genosha when everybody lost their powers, she definitely wasn´t an anti hero then and I personally don´t think she needs to become one to have an edge but you could relate to what she was thinking, symphatize with her and also want to know more about her political views who seemed to be a middle ground between Xavier and Magneto, something that was quite new before Scott was written in a similar way as well.

I don´t think she needs to become wolvie, Magneto or Emma, it would be interesting to symply see her pov´s in a political way because she´s a character who has been around on different places politically speaking, she wanted to have a normal life, she worked for the goverment, she worked for a company, she worked as part of a detective team, she ruled Genosha alongside Magneto, she almost died there as welland she´s one of the oldest X-men there and I feel like we hardly had seen her view of mutants politically without writers making her take a side because "insert important character at the moment for her" believes so as well.

I agree with this a lot! I really need a showing of Lorna’s edge and her own actual motivations for being a X-Men. She should want to protect mutants particularly because she doesn’t want another Genosha and wants mutants to be safe. Duggan’s Lorna showed off her personality but not her motivations. Lorna is well overdue for a moment showing what her motivations are for being where she wants to be

Exactly, she´s out there fighthing for humans and being a hero of Krakoa and we don´t even know why she´s doing this, except that she likes her coffe while doing that, mutants from Genosha are coming back as she´s not even been seen talking to them which makes zero sense given the impact Genosha´s destruction had on her and them time she stayed fighting for the country.
    Writers who don't do their research on her tend to phone it in and make her unsure of herself and her views in a way the character is not. Lorna has very strong and solid views based on her history, but one has to research the character to know how she sees the world. If one doesn't include her being a Genosha survivor in her past they aren't writing Lorna.

Agree completely. I am ok with Duggan´s characterization of Lorna, I just need him to get into her worldview and I usually love Kelly Thompson´s handle on characters so I hope she gives Lorna some neccesary exploration on her motives and point of view.
    Yes, Duggan's Lorna was ok though missing any real motivation outside of coffee or connection to her history. What little he did still was better than any run in a decade with her which says more about how poor those runs with her then how amazing his character work with her was.

Hopefully, Kelly Thompson can restore some of her long-lost ideological/philosophical edge yes and I don't mean in a maybe she is willing to kill some alien trying to kill them which we all know she would do and has with the Shi'ar countless times over as their lost star destroyers attest to.

Kelly Thompson: "And this whole team — Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, Hazmat, Polaris, Wolverine, Gambit, and Psylocke is together for the full arc — CAPTAIN MARVEL #43 - #49. (plus expect some appearances by Binary and Rogue and MAYBE some other guests - wink wink, nudge nudge)."

https://1979semifinalist.substack.com/p/special-guest
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-30-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Lorna and Gambit together again

What do you think of Polaris joining X-Force? As the security of Krakoa, I think Lorna could gain her edge back and gain motivations there. The series is most likely going to be relaunched and after Lorna’s done being a X-Men cameo queen, I thought maybe a run there might be great for her character. I have my own personal wishes for her but I think X-Force or returning to X-Men with her views and edge shown more prominently would be more likely to happen.
    Last edited by UncannyLZ; 09-22-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Not as long as Percy is still writing. I dropped that book

Here’s a chance to ask Polaris questions and to show the X writers readers want more of her: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/09/29/x-...ions-x-office/

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Happy that Lorna will have a role in KT's Captain Marvel, but hate that I can't get my Polaris fix in an X-Book. Thompson's Lorna was fine enough in Disassembled, but I doubt it'll be giving what Lorna really needs.

Really hoping that there is something in the works in the X-Office and Polaris will find a new home soon. Still bummed that X-Men was such a short tenure, and would have loved to see Lorna having a role still.

BANNED

Writers who don't do their research on her tend to phone it in and make her unsure of herself and her views in a way the character is not. Lorna has very strong and solid views based on her history, but one has to research the character to know how she sees the world. If one doesn't include her being a Genosha survivor in her past they aren't writing Lorna.

Yes, Duggan's Lorna was ok though missing any real motivation outside of coffee or connection to her history. What little he did still was better than any run in a decade with her which says more about how poor those runs with her then how amazing his character work with her was.

Hopefully, Kelly Thompson can restore some of her long-lost ideological edge yes and I don't mean in a maybe she is willing to kill some alien trying to kill them which we all know she would do and has with the Shi'ar countless times over as their lost star destroyers attest to.

Kelly Thompson: "And this whole team — Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, Hazmat, Polaris, Wolverine, Gambit, and Psylocke is together for the full arc — CAPTAIN MARVEL #43 - #49. (plus expect some appearances by Binary and Rogue and MAYBE some other guests - wink wink, nudge nudge)."

https://1979semifinalist.substack.com/p/special-guest
    Pretty sure Thompson won’t get into any ideological issues with Lorna. This is a rescue mission.

The card for Lorna in X-Men Age of Heroes out next March. Also, Marvel Puzzle Quest has a free Polaris cover for those who log in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Pretty sure Thompson won’t get into any ideological issues with Lorna. This is a rescue mission.
    There are two type types of philosophical/ideological questions x-characters face.

1. The protection of mutants and how best to deal with that.

2. What kind of force to use to achieve one’s ends in a mission.

I was talking about #2 not #1.

Lorna’s last five years in space was overall a massive waste outside of a few scenes with Crystal and Luna. The only semi interesting feature was the whole how far should they go to win card. This was the type of philosophical/ideological area I was talking about not anything mutant related.

What Lorna really needs at a macro level is her mutant rights views and history there dealt with something we haven’t seen since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Happy that Lorna will have a role in KT's Captain Marvel, but hate that I can't get my Polaris fix in an X-Book. Thompson's Lorna was fine enough in Disassembled, but I doubt it'll be giving what Lorna really needs.

Really hoping that there is something in the works in the X-Office and Polaris will find a new home soon. Still bummed that X-Men was such a short tenure, and would have loved to see Lorna having a role still.
    Agreed, though I felt she did better with her in Deadpool.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-30-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post

KT will most likely do a great job displaying Lorna’s powers, personality and may even touch on her history and character. Since it’s still “Captain Marvel”, I really want Polaris to have a new home in a X book. I’m glad that home is no longer X-Factor and I think her time on Duggan’s X-Men showed that “X-Men” is a home for her. Unfortunately, the X-Men have a rotating roster so she’s not guaranteed to always be there (I’m glad she proved she can though!). Where else would you like to see her have a role/home in a X book?

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    KT will most likely do a great job displaying Lorna’s powers, personality and may even touch on her history and character. Since it’s still “Captain Marvel”, I really want Polaris to have a new home in a X book. I’m glad that home is no longer X-Factor and I think her time on Duggan’s X-Men showed that “X-Men” is a home for her. Unfortunately, the X-Men have a rotating roster so she’s not guaranteed to always be there (I’m glad she proved she can though!). Where else would you like to see her have a role/home in a X book?
    Lorna needs a third option she is identified with. Right now its X-Men or X-Factor (or being sent into space when there isn't room for her on either). Lorna being overly identified with X-Factor has been a problem for her yes, doubly so since X-Factor has been divorced from politics and has instead become synonymous with investigator which doesn't fit Lorna at all.

There are options including making the House of M a real faction (which they probably won't consider until they fully undo Axis) and resurrecting the Brotherhood or Acolytes (something Lorna was a member of, but Marvel has tried to ignore). Quicksilver as a character is identified popularly and in merchandise with the Brotherhood, X-Factor and the Avengers.

What Lorna needs a mutant team representing a non-Xavierite set of views like the Acolytes or Brotherhood she is also identified from Marvel's standpoint with. X-Men 50's came out October 1968 so this month is the anniversary of that issue. She was a character cast between the world of mutant militancy and the X-Men in that issue. Marvel only really succeeded in having her live up to that conception of her in a short window of time in the early 2000s and stopped succeeding after Austen left. Forgetting she was a genocide survivor and writing Lorna as a nicer version of the newly reformed moderate Magneto is at the root of her problem.

I have no problem with Magneto being moderate and reform in eras, but I did have a major problem with Lorna losing her ideological edge to accentuate Magneto's change going by the idiotic view she has to be more moderate than him at any given time even when he is trying to be Xavier.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-01-2022 at 09:28 AM.