Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

So a few things stand out to me here.

For one, bad though Lorna's depiction is, the Hulk story has the premise of Lorna seeking Havok out to bring him back to the X-Men. Havok wanted out. Lorna didn't. Yet, when we reach the point where most of the original X-Men decide to leave, Lorna goes with Havok.

The question is: why? The answer: because by that point, treatment and perception of Lorna due to past poor writing had corroded so badly that they completely ignored Lorna's own past perspective to have her fully consumed by Havok's perspective. That Hulk issue is representative of the slow destruction of her character from the strong, independent and intimidating woman she was when first introduced, to the weak, overly dependent and totally subservient to Havok's wishes caricature they turned her into. It was a midpoint. After having most of her edge taken away, but before she had been transformed into a vessel for toxic male wish fulfillment.

Second, her codename. Truth be told, if I felt it would serve her better, I would push for a new codename. As this article explains, the Polaris codename was established under a scenario of Lorna being brainwashed and used. The main reason I don't argue for it is because at this point, after so many decades, Polaris is what she's known by. And we already know as a matter of pure fact that Marvel would never, ever put enough thought, effort or resources into Lorna for a new codename to work out well for her. Look how little they've done with her after breaking out on Gifted and winning the X-Men vote. They'd have to do a lot more for a new codename to work out, and they don't have enough care or respect for that.

Third and final. I regularly see fans of X-Factor, the 90s, or Havok claim that Lorna was co-leader of the 90s X-Factor team. But truthfully, she wasn't. Havok was the leader. Lorna was a supporting character for him. You need no clearer evidence of this than the fact X-Factor immediately ended and disbanded as soon as Havok appeared to have died. If Lorna really had been co-leader of 90s X-Factor, the book and team would not have ended with Havok gone. They would have continued with Lorna taking the reins as sole leader in Havok's absence. I can guarantee you that had the tables been turned, and Lorna appeared to have died, the book would have continued on with Havok leading the team without Lorna. The only impact of Lorna's "death" on the book would have been Havok occasionally mourning her loss between missions and/or sessions of banging whatever woman would've replaced Lorna for Havok. If even that. Marvel most definitely would not have written Havok disbanding the team to lock himself away in an apartment obsessing over Lorna's uniform.

A lot of people very mistakenly believe all of this is "old history" and has nothing to do with the present. They're wrong. They're wrong because that "old history" still affects Lorna today. It still colors how people at Marvel see Lorna, still leads them to not understand her, not even try, and think she has nothing to offer. It still means they don't react to her breaking out on Gifted or winning the X-Men vote like they would other, especially newer characters. These entrenched problems and their love affairs with them mean Marvel refuses to fix so much out there for her that needs fixing. None of this can become old history until Marvel rectifies the problems caused by this "old history."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

Well then again when Alex thought that Jamie had "died" from the Legacy Virus he did leave the team, and it took Malice and Lorna talking to him to get him to come back, so it would be possible that Alex would blame himself for Lorna's death and leave the team, but if your way happened I think that it would be more of how little Marvel thought of her rather than how much they thought of Alex...

Looks like Lorna can go anywhere now that her time on X-Men is over and she’s “going with the flow”. Overall, I’m happy with her time on the X-Men. Duggan nailed her voice and she got to be seen on the flagship book by new fans. Did we get any Polaris story/motivations? No but we got accurate personality and powers! Hopefully, next she’s on a book that give her a story and builds more relationships with other characters.

Duggan's run carried the ball forward with Lorna in some areas. Not nearly as far as I would have liked but it succeeded and failed in key areas.

Positive

1. She was allowed a little of her post Genosha edge back. It was only a little of it and certainly not as much as I would have liked or would argue she needs, but it helped enable the run to be better than the last decade of writers that continually tried to turn back the clock to the 90s.

2. The princess persona is not new to Lorna, but Duggan played it up more than any other ongoing run and it worked other than in the moments where she came off too juvenile.

3. The first real interaction with Jean and some others since the Austen era.

Negative

1. Lorna's views are treated as a blank slate which the run tried to avoid nailing down.

2. Too sort a run with her and too little Lorna to be had, especially in the second half of the year.

3. Played it too safe with her relationships such as with Laura and Jean. They will be forgotten about in a couple months outside of some hard-core fans.

4. There was a moment built into the story where the audience was able to peer into characters heads to understand their thoughts and fears. This was basically a gimme for a creator who was invested in Lorna to further the character. When it was dropped I knew then Duggan probably liked writing Lorna, but he wasn't all that invested in her.

Final thoughts

In terms of ongoing runs with Lorna this was better then average. It's a sign of how successful a run can be with Lorna that is able to peer beyond (her generic 90s X-Factor persona) with the character even if a writer isn't all that invested in her.

What Lorna badly needs now in my view is her motivation rebuilt and frankly I also think the character is long past due for a darker and more activist or political turn.

Emma Dumont signed a lot of X-Men issues a week ago. This one from xenomorph_collector87.

Though the story of Lorna in this run is kind of baked into signed copies of this comic which Lorna didn’t actually appear in.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-22-2022 at 12:08 PM.

I agree that Lorna could go darker/more activist. Personally, I think she should lead Marauders (she did as Malice and on Krakoa it could be an interesting story/reclaiming for her.) I’d also be into her going out on her own or with a team called The Acolytes. Polaris needs a lane she can own in addition to being seen as a X-Men/superhero like she has now.

Really doesn't surprise me that Lorna's off the team. As I've said before, it's in keeping with how Marvel doesn't really want her to gain traction. They're very invested in outdated ideas of who she is and where she "belongs."

It's still true that Duggan's run was the best treatment she's had in a decade. Some good things happened. She got to spend time with Jean. She had a spotlight for the first couple months of the run due to winning the poll (and no, I don't count X-Men #5; it didn't even have her on the cover). She had some good power uses, and the first issue of Devil's Reign actually did something with her as far as philosophy and perspective that fits her history. The new fancy dress was also a big upgrade from last year's Hellfire Gala look.

But generally speaking, it wasn't anywhere near enough. The book didn't touch on the most important things to happen to her. Didn't really delve into who she is and where she comes from. The bits of positive aren't going to matter even a month from now, let alone years from now, because not enough was done with Lorna for it to have any kind of lasting impact. I fully expect Marvel will go back to keeping Lorna and Jean far apart now that Lorna's off the team. Overall I have the feeling that people at Marvel felt Lorna even being on the team was "more than she deserves" and her presence and involvement was kept minimal both visually (most notably the covers) and story-wise.

And since Duggan's not writing her anymore, I think I can now just say this. I skimmed through issues 6 and 7 when they accidentally got released to Marvel Unlimited (which is a service I only joined due to the Lorna variant cover last year, and I'll be canceling since it never has anything worth the cost for me). I saw the lack of Lorna in my skimming, and that led to me not bothering to buy any more of the book after X-Men #5. It became clear to me after those two issues that she would be sidelined after #5, and that she effectively only had half a year on the team instead of the full year they implied she would get.

These past couple issues don't change my perspective; to me they're just Marvel putting a nice PR cap on giving the news of her no longer on the team. It's their typical playbook. Try to give a wrap up impression that they care before doing something they know people aren't going to like. The only question for me now is which poison they're handing out: Lorna in limbo, or Lorna treated poorly for the benefit of other characters on a different book.

And as I've said elsewhere, it also doesn't surprise me that the very next year after Lorna won the X-Men vote, Marvel starts talking about Havok having big things happening with him in the X-books. Even if people at Marvel don't say it or consciously realize it, it's clear to me that they're thinking "Well Lorna won and she's inferior to Havok in my eyes, so we need to have him one-up her next year in the franchise."

In short, Duggan's half of a year writing Lorna was good but not enough. Any positives of his run will be swiftly forgotten and ignored. Here's to hoping the next person to write her doesn't decide to drive her into a ditch to "rectify" what little progress she's made.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I agree that Lorna could go darker/more activist. Personally, I think she should lead Marauders (she did as Malice and on Krakoa it could be an interesting story/reclaiming for her.) I’d also be into her going out on her own or with a team called The Acolytes. Polaris needs a lane she can own in addition to being seen as a X-Men/superhero like she has now.
    Her Acolytes story was the start of her very best multi year story arc. On that note I caught something she built out of the corner of my eye in this week’s comics.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-22-2022 at 02:16 PM.

If you could create a 7 member Acolytes team with Polaris as leader (she’s 1/7), who would you want on the team? It’s Krakoa, so it doesn’t have to be original acolytes members. Anyone could be on it

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    If you could create a 7 member Acolytes team with Polaris as leader (she’s 1/7), who would you want on the team? It’s Krakoa, so it doesn’t have to be original acolytes members. Anyone could be on it
    Everything would ride on what their raison d'être is and the particulars of what they are supposed to do and their rules of engagement.

I have long felt there are lessons to be had from Lorna's various previous stints with ends justify the means teams.

Lesson's from Lorna 60s run on a Brotherhood in all other then name? For godsakes don't wimp out/try to retcon your way out of Lorna being on the team.

Lessons from the 70s/80s? Don’t use possession as an open-ended storyline crutch. It doesn't move Lorna's story forward as in the end its not Lorna driving the ship.

Lessons from Lorna's run on late 90s X-Factor when it became a suicide squad like team with Lorna, Mystique, and Creed? They overly upright straight girl'ed Lorna to contrast Mystique and Creed. That was bad. They also didn't live up to their team motto as they talked big about tough actions unsanctioned from the government and they actually did nothing of note.

Lessons from Lorna's run on the Acolytes? Commit to the storyline. Don't allow too many writers to be involved with their own visions or the storyline becomes a mess.

Lessons from Lorna's TV run on The Hellfire Club ... I mean Inner Circle. Again, commit to the storyline. Don't wuss out on it with Lorna or put someone above her who will dominate her she has to break free from. If you are going for a bad actor on the team who undermines it the Cortez way is the best.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-23-2022 at 04:34 AM.

In the comics, has Lorna ever come across the Hellfire Club?

I know Lorna and Alex were not with the team during the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Sagasly and I always wondered if their added powers would have made things turn out differently or not.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I really wish Lorna wasn't leaving the team so soon. I think her leading a new Acolytes could be fun, but I also think there are enough X-teams around.
    So I don't know where she would be a good fit. X-force is probably the book in the most need of an overhaul, so maybe she could be part of that?
    Marauders would also be cool, but I think she would need to take Kate's leadership spot because I don't want her as a side character anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

I know Lorna and Alex were not with the team during the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Sagasly and I always wondered if their added powers would have made things turn out differently or not.
    I don't think so. I haven't seen or heard of her doing so anyway.

There's a what if page out there for what would've happened if Lorna was on the ship when those things went down, essentially saying that with her powers she could just direct the ship instead of anyone having to pull any crazy stunts.

A solo, mini or ongoing specifically focused on Lorna that actually delves into who she is and where she's coming from - written by someone that cares enough to actually look at her history and put real thought into her - would be ideal. It would also be a good test of interest in her IF Marvel gave it enough promotion alongside having a good story to it. I can't say if she would fit anywhere else because I'm not reading anything else.

I can say that I don't think Ewing/X-Men Red would be good for her. When you combine his clear love of Magneto (which gives me strong X-Men Blue vibes) with already using Brand, I think it's far more likely for Lorna to end up in a bad state there. I could be wrong, but it's the impression I get. I also wouldn't want her on things written by Williams for all the things I've said before about treatment of Lorna on X-Factor and Trial of Magneto. I definitely don't want her anywhere close to wherever Havok is. And frankly, after X-Factor I'm reluctant to the idea of Lorna on a team that Rachel's also on in the short term. Not that my mind couldn't be changed if she was treated really well, but X-Factor has me expecting Lorna around Rachel in at least the next year or two would result in Lorna treated poorly due to the writer preferring Rachel over her. Which does not mean I think Lorna would necessarily be treated poorly to build Rachel up. More like the writer would be so focused on Rachel that they don't care about how they're handling Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I don't think so. I haven't seen or heard of her doing so anyway.

There's a what if page out there for what would've happened if Lorna was on the ship when those things went down, essentially saying that with her powers she could just direct the ship instead of anyone having to pull any crazy stunts.

A solo, mini or ongoing specifically focused on Lorna that actually delves into who she is and where she's coming from - written by someone that cares enough to actually look at her history and put real thought into her - would be ideal. It would also be a good test of interest in her IF Marvel gave it enough promotion alongside having a good story to it. I can't say if she would fit anywhere else because I'm not reading anything else.

I can say that I don't think Ewing/X-Men Red would be good for her. When you combine his clear love of Magneto (which gives me strong X-Men Blue vibes) with already using Brand, I think it's far more likely for Lorna to end up in a bad state there. I could be wrong, but it's the impression I get. I also wouldn't want her on things written by Williams for all the things I've said before about treatment of Lorna on X-Factor and Trial of Magneto. I definitely don't want her anywhere close to wherever Havok is. And frankly, after X-Factor I'm reluctant to the idea of Lorna on a team that Rachel's also on in the short term. Not that my mind couldn't be changed if she was treated really well, but X-Factor has me expecting Lorna around Rachel in at least the next year or two would result in Lorna treated poorly due to the writer preferring Rachel over her. Which does not mean I think Lorna would necessarily be treated poorly to build Rachel up. More like the writer would be so focused on Rachel that they don't care about how they're handling Lorna.
    Ah, I did not know about that What-If? story. With Lorna's power and what she can do (affect so many things) I thought the HF Club might have been interested in her.

I agree, Lorna might be given poor treatment by writers who want to build up Rachel. Lorna needs someone who really understands the character and who genuinely likes her and sees the need to build up Lorna, giving us fans something we have waited for decades to see.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really wish Lorna wasn't leaving the team so soon. I think her leading a new Acolytes could be fun, but I also think there are enough X-teams around.
    So I don't know where she would be a good fit. X-force is probably the book in the most need of an overhaul, so maybe she could be part of that?
    Marauders would also be cool, but I think she would need to take Kate's leadership spot because I don't want her as a side character anymore.
    Lorna is probably not on a new ongoing until at the very earliest the end of the year or next year.

I did feel on X-Men that unless they were going to allow a philosophical divide on the team which they decided not to do was moving in a direction that wouldn't have worked for Lorna. They really want to break the X-Men from working for mutants and Krakoa into working for everyone like the Avengers.

In terms of X-Force I am against her going there in its current incarnation. I would feel the same way if she wasn't just lumped together with Havok and jobbed to something made of metal. Right now its too much edgy heroes fight monster of the week. If X-Force changes creative staff and turns into something more akin to mutant special forces or a wetworks team very focused on eliminating anti-mutant terrorist groups like what it was under Kyle and Yost I would consider supporting the move. Though I would prefer something either political or activist like the Acolytes once were.

Very briefly in X-Men Blue with the team up of Emma and Lorna to save a Summers brother. That is very different from being inside the club and among the politics like Magneto was in the 1980s.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-24-2022 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Very briefly in X-Men Blue with the team up of Emma and Lorna to save a Summers brother. That is very different from being inside the club and among the politics like Magneto was in the 1980s.
    Ah, did not know this either. But I had wondered if Lorna even knew of the HF Club, what they did to Jean, etc.