Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566676869 LastLast

In terms of Marvel Future Fight the update just happened on the App. I do have to commend the graphic artists and game designers for a job well done. A special thanks has to go out to the Magneto fans at netmarble.com the games message board for being the most vocal fan base fighting for her inclusion in the game for years and years and those who work in the games division of Marvel Entertainment as well.

Among other things it also has Lorna, Jean, and Scott as part of the Krakoan order team bonus. It was nice, but we all know Lorna has been effectively irrelevant to the new mutant homeland for two years and she wasn't really all that relevant in the House of X era either though she at least had a clearly defined view on mutants and humanity.

I was waiting for the character summary for Lorna to say more and its up.

Not a bad summary even if it's not fully accurate. The real problem with summarizing Lorna is the lack of an iconic event or militant arc for her they are willing to highlight for her as many other characters have. Lorna has one of course, but they aren't going to use it. This is a problem with Lorna's character in general in the comics in her interactions with other characters as it lacks any sort of complexity and tension the X-Men have with her father.

On the topic of Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I love Kelly Thompson's respect for continuity spoilers:
    Lorna's crush on Gambit is mentioned in CM #44
    end of spoilers
    Thompson's respect for continuity there does deserve to be noted. It's clear she did read the almost wedding issues of Lorna and included her getting drunk easily as well. It had a very light 00s influenced flare to it along with her desire for companionship. In her almost wedding era it was about her desire to forget about the horror and we don't know what brought this on or what she is thinking in a larger sense.

The fake mind scape theme with Lorna is useful if the writer uses it to deal with big issues which others have been avoiding. I am less than interested in an alien possessed X-Men vs X-Men story so hopefully this will be more than that. The only good fights Lorna ever had with the X-Men were ones she decided to undertake on her own.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-07-2022 at 04:07 PM.

I bought Lorna for Future Fight. I haven't played it with her much yet, but of course she's my most upgraded and my leader.

While Forgotten Family, Like Father Like Daughter, and Krakoan Order were noted by jmc above, they also have Serval Industries paired with Pietro and Gambit, and the most recent X-Factor paired with Daken and Rachel. I'd have preferred no X-Factor on there at all, but it's not a dealbreaker as the more important relationships are on there and outnumber it.

I came to a realization/conclusion last night that the reason they chose to use the look from Duggan's X-Men is because they already have Enchantress in the game, but they don't have Brand. Her iconic look is very similar to Enchantress' and it's possible they just didn't want Lorna's reveal to prompt those comparisons and confusion. By contrast, no Brand in the game means this costume is visually unique for Lorna as compared to Enchantress.

All in all, I think Lorna getting quite a spotlight in this reveal, and having good character focus in general, further shows the problems in how Lorna keeps getting treated in the X-Men comics are specific to the comics. They're not a Marvel-wide mandate. Games have recently either given her a good platform when introducing her or included her in their initial launches, and for the most part, they have been defining her as a unique character not pigeonholed just to supporting other characters or defined just as an extension of other characters.

That has to be compared with the comics only using her for half the X-Men run, not being on a cover that wasn't a variant or group shot (not even the issue focused on her), not giving her an annual issue as compared to Firestar getting one, and being sent out into space so she isn't around while they have other characters address Magneto's death and the attempted genocide. On top of half a decade of increasingly terrible BS.

The games know and respect what they have in Lorna. The X-Men comics don't simply not know what they're doing - they actively disrespect what they have in Lorna.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I bought Lorna for Future Fight. I haven't played it with her much yet, but of course she's my most upgraded and my leader.

While Forgotten Family, Like Father Like Daughter, and Krakoan Order were noted by jmc above, they also have Serval Industries paired with Pietro and Gambit, and the most recent X-Factor paired with Daken and Rachel. I'd have preferred no X-Factor on there at all, but it's not a dealbreaker as the more important relationships are on there and outnumber it.

I came to a realization/conclusion last night that the reason they chose to use the look from Duggan's X-Men is because they already have Enchantress in the game, but they don't have Brand. Her iconic look is very similar to Enchantress' and it's possible they just didn't want Lorna's reveal to prompt those comparisons and confusion. By contrast, no Brand in the game means this costume is visually unique for Lorna as compared to Enchantress.

All in all, I think Lorna getting quite a spotlight in this reveal, and having good character focus in general, further shows the problems in how Lorna keeps getting treated in the X-Men comics are specific to the comics. They're not a Marvel-wide mandate. Games have recently either given her a good platform when introducing her or included her in their initial launches, and for the most part, they have been defining her as a unique character not pigeonholed just to supporting other characters or defined just as an extension of other characters.

That has to be compared with the comics only using her for half the X-Men run, not being on a cover that wasn't a variant or group shot (not even the issue focused on her), not giving her an annual issue as compared to Firestar getting one, and being sent out into space so she isn't around while they have other characters address Magneto's death and the attempted genocide. On top of half a decade of increasingly terrible BS.

The games know and respect what they have in Lorna. The X-Men comics don't simply not know what they're doing - they actively disrespect what they have in Lorna.
    You purchased her? She's actually free via the Future Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wasn't aware of that, but I'm also fine with having purchased her since it means I got her right away.

What I bought was the "get 20 x-genes daily" shop item that cost $10. The daily part lasts for a month.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I went with the Future Pass, but bought the $9.99 Future Pass Legendary upgrade which comes with the 'Magnetic Heir' icon.

Anyway art probably Judgement Day influenced.

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-09-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Topps hologram card.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

This is good to see.

Magneto T4 Future Fight

dang he's gonna completely overshadow Lorna as the new mutant blast meta

Marvel Super War costume update with some new dialogue on the aurora borealis at 1:38.

Last edited by jmc247; 12-15-2022 at 11:22 PM.

I really wish Marvel Super War was available in the west in a way that I can actually play it. They're the best use of Lorna in a game to date. Digging more into the aurora borealis concept to give her Polaris codename better justification is great too. It's really something that should've been established decades ago, like so many other things. The theme costume also succeeds in retaining Lorna's core aesthetics and keeping her recognizable while mixing things up, another case of doing much better than the first Hellfire Gala look, and a great way of reintroducing her original gold secondary color for a special occasion.

I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I'm waiting until after the New Year to see where things are with the X-Men comics office. If it looks like things are still headed in the current terrible and insultingly disrespectful direction, then I'll go forward with what I was going to do a month ago. Start the new year off swinging. That's also the couple of months previously suggested to wait.

P.S. - Notice that for the past several pages, the main thing we've talked about has been Lorna appearing in video games. Not comics. And when we HAVE talked about comics, it's been fraught with necessary complaints about what the comics should be doing but aren't. Let's be honest: if the comics were being run properly at least with regard to Lorna, most of our discussion would be about the comics, and the video games would be an exciting but fleeting detour from comics talk. The lack of much good to say about the comics is a troubling sign, and speaks volumes to everything wrong with them. I've hoped that people working on the comics could be considerate and professional enough to want to improve based on feedback, but sadly maybe it's a case that the comics need new people entirely.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-16-2022 at 12:19 AM.

BANNED

Seeing that new, MSW video was a holiday gift, indeed, and the mention of the aurora borealis just makes it all the more special. And it couldn't have come at a better time, thank you, JMC.

Also, to you as well, Salarta. I'm far more open to what you have to say--and don't necessarily disagree with what you just did, most recently--with what you believe are in the best interests of Polaris' character, when you eXpress yourself in this manner.

I do and will have more to say, naturally, but for now I can only ask that you...

STAY VIGILANT & KEEP the FAITH!!

For I've come to the conclusion & now feel that more than ever...

House of Merry Xmas

https://twitter.com/Chris_Giarrusso/...799433/photo/2, by Chris Giarrusso, @Chris_Giarrusso