Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Hellfire Gala 2021

I hope Lorna is recast in the MCU when she appears.

Also, the hellfire gala was pushed back, so we have 1 month until we learn if Polaris will remain in the team or move to something else!

While I wouldn't be up in arms if Lorna was recast in the MCU, I think Emma Dumont has been great as the character and would also support her playing Lorna in the MCU. Of what I've seen, she has a lot of enthusiasm and respect for the character which translated into playing her well on Gifted (when possible; some parts were very much "put up with what you have to do with this kind of writing" stuff). While we talk about Lorna's potential showing through her breaking out on Gifted, it's meaningful to note Dumont's portrayal as an important part of that equation.

On another topic: the squiggly green "halo" around Lorna's head for the upcoming Hellfire Gala.

With the very little seen so far, I'm okay with it at Hellfire Gala. But if I'm being completely, fully, 100% honest... X-Factor really put me off that design concept.

When I saw it, my immediate impression was that the comics were using it as a way to get rid of her headgear, which has become symbolic of her both individually and within the Magnus family. The Gifted really helped in this regard. It's a visual identifier and a symbol of power for her. It could stand to be modified and modernized of course, in the same way as Scarlet Witch's headgear has been, but there's always the base of it. Whereas the "halo" might've worked if it was done way back when she was first created, but today just comes across to me like trying to throw away even more of her history visually. Her treatment on X-Factor really didn't dissuade me of that impression one bit. Lots of ignoring her character history or treating that history like it's all irrelevant "easter eggs" to make her very OOC.

As a result, I get nothing but bad vibes when I see that "halo." For me, it's come to represent disrespect for the character and trying to turn her into things she's not because they don't like who she really is or how great she could be if handled right.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I agree on the halo thing Salarta! It’s not a bad idea, however, it happened in Leah’s X-Factor which also pushed my feelings that the X line was sidelining Lorna again. I prefer the headpiece and a modernized version of it on her next costume would be great to see! I personally think it’s her “insignia” or recognizable symbol. Magneto has his helmet, Storm has her crown and Wanda has hers. I think Lorna should have her own too! It helps with branding!
    Last edited by UncannyLZ; 06-14-2022 at 10:36 AM.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...tist-spotlight

The 10 Most Impactful Neal Adams Pages in Marvel History

It's Marvel, so it's no surprise they would choose to emphasize a scene where Lorna was written horribly for the benefit of two male characters.

Fun fact: even though the issue they're citing is #61, the writer behind it was Roy Thomas, not her creator Arnold Drake. Meaning the entire point of the character had been lost by that point and was quite easily prone to the next writer completely disregarding her potential in favor of whatever would most benefit male characters in her orbit.

I think an argument could also be made that writing like this contributed to the franchise dying until Giant-Size X-Men. There's a reason people stopped reading back then. Character treatment like what Marvel chose to emphasize there is a good case study.

Last edited by salarta; 06-15-2022 at 12:51 AM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...tist-spotlight

The 10 Most Impactful Neal Adams Pages in Marvel History

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It's Marvel, so it's no surprise they would choose to emphasize a scene where Lorna was written horribly for the benefit of two male characters.

Fun fact: even though the issue they're citing is #61, the writer behind it was Roy Thomas, not her creator Arnold Drake. Meaning the entire point of the character had been lost by that point and was quite easily prone to the next writer completely disregarding her potential in favor of whatever would most benefit male characters in her orbit.

I think an argument could also be made that writing like this contributed to the franchise dying until Giant-Size X-Men. There's a reason people stopped reading back then. Character treatment like what Marvel chose to emphasize there is a good case study.

Rarely has Lorna looked better (to me)!!

The 70's were so pregnant with possibilities for both Jean and Lorna. But both ladies got depowered (Lorna losing then gaining her powers and Jean gaining and losing not only the PF but her life)and down-played when they should have and could have been so much more!!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Roy Thomas was such an inventive writer who created a lot of great characters, but he wasn't very forward-thinking -- especially in terms of women.

When Steve Englehart took over the writing on Avengers, Thomas told him that Wanda should basically throw a hex --- and then fall down, or just be in the background. Fortunately, Englehart followed his own path and Wanda was elevated to me a major character -- often overshadowing her male teammates.

In regard to Adams, he didn't really have much of an opportunity to do anything with Lorna in action (Thomas's fault). But I've always loved that scene with Lorna in her apartment in X-Men 56 -- which, for my money, is much better than the Sauron scene.
    Last edited by kcekada; 06-20-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Polaris has had a lot of costumes! Some good and some not so good but all different from each other for the most part. It made me wonder, what kind of silhouette and style do you prefer for Lorna? Sleeveless? Cape or no cape? Jacket?

Personally, I like her current silhouette with the jacket and boots. I’d add her headgear, some gloves and make the skirt shorts to give a more athleisure vibe that fits Lorna. She’d also take the jacket off. What do you all think?
    Last edited by UncannyLZ; 06-17-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Polaris has had a lot of costumes! Some good and some not so good but all different from each other for the most part. It made me wonder, what kind of silhouette and style do you prefer for Lorna? Sleeveless? Cape or no cape? Jacket?

Personally, I like her current silhouette with the jacket and boots. I’d add her headgear, some gloves and make the skirt shorts to give a more athleisure vibe that fits Lorna. What do you all think?
    I really LOVE Lorna's original costume, and when she flew in those X-Men issues when Jean was Phoenix, Lorna looked just as magnificent flying with her large costume sleeves.

Today, I think maybe an updated version would be good, but I really have not seen one nor a costume I have liked on Lorna since the original.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

it took me forever to find Lorna

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I know. Lorna is almost invisible there.

This was a bit before they had her fly, which is why Lorna, like Jean, is seen running.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post

Personally, I like her current silhouette with the jacket and boots. I’d add her headgear, some gloves and make the skirt shorts to give a more athleisure vibe that fits Lorna. She’d also take the jacket off. What do you all think?
    Basically her iconic outfit but modernized to better fit her personality, powers, and modern standards. Keep the headgear and cape. Keep green as primary color, but add a secondary color that works with it (I've noted even characters specifically named for colors like Scarlet Witch and White Queen have secondary colors through their hair, eyes, and/or lipstick). Something that's a cross between warrior and royal is best. A generally metallic look would be good as a reference to her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It's another one of those cases where Marvel quietly uses "history" as an excuse to visually present her with Havok for the billionth time, while simultaneously not acknowledging any history that actually matters like the Genoshan genocide or launching Krakoa into space. It gets some small points for recognizing Lorna was there at all, but not much (and certainly not enough to warrant buying the cover).

This is also the second time a cover or teaser of some kind was put out that had Lorna on it, but she was posed near Havok and surrounded by green to make it difficult to spot her. The time before this was teaser art for Inferno. One more time and it's definitely a deliberate pattern.

I did like the blue-teal original costume look, even though it was most likely a coloring error, lol. I know Lorna's color is green, but that looked good too.