Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Anyway Marvel Strike Force has a cheaper way to pick up Lorna currently up for now.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wb7VkpmB/14766-...F6-FEBDBBA.jpg
    Strike Force is the one I ended up not touching because it slots her in with X-Factor and doesn't include her with X-Men. Lorna's association with X-Factor has become a problem for her because it's resulted in people thinking that's all she has (as if she's only existed since the 90s) and ignoring her over 50 years of X-Men history.

But for what it's worth, referring to her as Mutant Queen there is nice. Refers back to her introductory story. Still not enough for me to want to play it. This is temporary. They'd need to rework it and make permanent changes for me to play it. But it's a nice temporary nod.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Strike Force is the one I ended up not touching because it slots her in with X-Factor and doesn't include her with X-Men. Lorna's association with X-Factor has become a problem for her because it's resulted in people thinking that's all she has (as if she's only existed since the 90s) and ignoring her over 50 years of X-Men history.

But for what it's worth, referring to her as Mutant Queen there is nice. Refers back to her introductory story. Still not enough for me to want to play it. This is temporary. They'd need to rework it and make permanent changes for me to play it. But it's a nice temporary nod.
    The game makers do know how popular certain concepts are with Lorna. Her pose there homages Duggan’s X-Men #1 which homages the best selling comic of all time X-Men #1. The mutant queen reference is part of their promotion for buying orbs or playing to get orbs for the character, but no her non X-Factor existence isn’t played up in the game.

It’s good for games to balance sides of Lorna’s character. The mutant royalty notion can work when they actually integrate the idea into the game character not just the promotion.

X-Men Days of Future Past about a decade ago adapted some version of her WATXM Genosha story to her character which balanced her as an X-Men ally and a mutant activist for the game. Of late her mutant activist credibility has been really weak. Too many runs in a row of generic hero antics... really all of them since the X-Jammers.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-23-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Anyway Marvel Strike Force has a cheaper way to pick up Lorna currently up for now.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wb7VkpmB/14766-...F6-FEBDBBA.jpg
    Thanks. I haant touched that game in a while but logged in and unlocked Lorna

What do you all think about Polaris going solo and leaving Krakoa? Obviously not permanently, but if she started to get stories outside of just being a X-Men. I really want Lorna to become a bigger character and I think it’s time for her to finally be able to have her own stories. If Wanda can be a solo character, Lorna can too! Wanda gets to lean into the witch side of her and I think Lorna should be able to lean into the “Dr. Dane” archeologist/geophysicist side to her. Really over her always being seen as just a supporting character.

Lorna doesnt have the popularity or appeal to be a successful solo character. She is someone that needs to be a part of an ensemble if she did go solo, realistically we'll likely never see her outside of cameo appearances in other team books

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna doesnt have the popularity or appeal to be a successful solo character. She is someone that needs to be a part of an ensemble if she did go solo, realistically we'll likely never see her outside of cameo appearances in other team books
    Nah..thats not proven. Just an assumption. The Daughter of M series written by a David Hine would of done great post The Gifted Season 1. Good writers will get the job done.

There are alot of things to do with Princess Lorna...she can run afoul of Miss Sinister..team up with Wanda for several issues...come across teenage Luna with her emotional depth powers...a Spider Man run in...She Hulk.reuniting with Crystal..her and Jean Grey..etc.
    Last edited by Lucky99; 05-23-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    What do you all think about Polaris going solo and leaving Krakoa? Obviously not permanently, but if she started to get stories outside of just being a X-Men. I really want Lorna to become a bigger character and I think it’s time for her to finally be able to have her own stories. If Wanda can be a solo character, Lorna can too! Wanda gets to lean into the witch side of her and I think Lorna should be able to lean into the “Dr. Dane” archeologist/geophysicist side to her. Really over her always being seen as just a supporting character.
    Yes on having a solo. But I think her history with the X-Men (emphasis on X-Men, not X-Factor) needs to be tied into it. She's more important to the history of the franchise than Marvel's ever given her credit, and that should be acknowledged within her first solo.

I used to accept this line of thinking and say she needed to build up her cred before she'd have a shot at a solo. That ended when I realized how many characters Marvel has given solos, minis and oneshots who are more obscure than Lorna.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen...d/solo_titles/

Chamber had a mini. Shatterstar had a mini. Multiple Man (more than once). Warlock. Blink. Longshot. They made a mini for an entirely brand new character made just for that mini, Worst X-Man Ever. Outside of X-Men, even Lockjaw got a mini, and we're talking about a dog here.

If Marvel considered all of those characters to be popular enough for a solo book, then they have absolutely no excuse when they get to Lorna. The only reason she hasn't had one (and probably never will) is quite simply a combination of bias against her at Marvel and inability to write her well as a result of that bias.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

This is exactly what I meant by people still seeing Lorna as just a supporting character while other characters with just as much or even half as much as she has are seen as being able to be solo or more than support.

“Lorna doesn’t have the popularity or appeal” but she won the X-Men vote…I think she would be fine to get her own stories. Why don’t you see her that way?

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    This is exactly what I meant by people still seeing Lorna as just a supporting character while other characters with just as much or even half as much as she has are seen as being able to be solo or more than support.

“Lorna doesn’t have the popularity or appeal” but she won the X-Men vote…I think she would be fine to get her own stories. Why don’t you see her that way?
    Storm couldn’t even carry a successful solo. I don’t think a Lorna solo would do well. A best I see her getting a mini but I doubt sales would be there to make onto an ongoing. The best way to market her is to give her a stealth solo with the X-men title and have her be the lead like Jean was in X-men Red
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-23-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Storm couldn’t even carry a successful solo. I don’t think a Lorna solo would do well. A best I see her getting a mini but I doubt sales would be there to make onto an ongoing. The best way to market her is to give her a stealth solo with the X-men title and have her be the lead like Jean was in X-men Red
    With Marvel's current attitude toward the character? You're right, a Lorna solo wouldn't do well. No solo can survive sabotage from within. If Marvel's willing to give her a real chance and proper support? She's an untapped gold mine that could do wonders for Marvel's image and sales.

It's been common consensus among people who don't work for Marvel that Lorna is greatly underappreciated and underutilized. She doesn't have decades of past promotion to her name like Storm does, which I suspect leads to a lot of consumers falsely assuming Storm's been explored enough. In fact, I would say Storm could also carry a successful solo if Marvel really tried. But all things equal, Lorna's so untapped with so much unrealized potential that just the idea of her having a solo would be a huge draw. Now whether that would lead to amazing or terrible sales is heavily dependent on execution and promotion. A solo for her wouldn't sell well if they were actively trying to hide it from the public eye like they did to All-New X-Factor.

A stealth solo akin to X-Men Red won't work. Not unless Marvel went heavy on promoting her as the core focus. Plus frankly, when a book is supposed to be a team book, I don't like the idea of a single character dominating the book. If that one character's gonna dominate the book then make it an actual solo. I say this as someone who originally stayed far away from the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon cause I didn't like Marvel putting Wolverine before the franchise that created him in the title.

The Scarlet Witch is not a successful comic book franchise on her own. Her last ongoing didn’t sell well and was nixed at 16 issues, Quicksilver’s ongoing in the 90s did even worse.

Magneto’s did a bit better then both. Part of it is Bunn aggressively tapped into Wanda, Lorna, and Pietro’s fan bases by playing the family card hard in the second half of his ongoing. He also played the Genosha pathos card with him while for Lorna they still don’t see the potential and keep trying and failing to make replacements for it.

Magnus family stories sell extremely well though. I disliked like the Trial, but it started north of 100K copies and was promoted as a family story center. House of M reprints continues selling like crazy and are up for a new round of reprints.

One of the successes of Wanda and Pietro is they do have many mini and maxiseries to their name fans can pick up and read to understand them. A Lorna along the lines of Duggan’s X-Men in terms of persona that also combines being a warrior for the protection of mutants along with political and family themes would succeed.

It would take getting Lorna firmly out of the 90s which is Marvel’s comfy zone for her. Duggan did a little of that. He didn’t commit on her worldview or motivation though.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-23-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Most X-Men characters aren’t solo characters (can only think of a few), but I think Lorna could hold her own in a mini.

A miniseries establishing her own storylines followed by cameos and other books further establishing that would be fantastic! I think it could turn into an ongoing with the right creative team and sales. The only way I would ever like to see her go back to Xfactor is if she leads it and it is a stealth solo for her, but I’m also not a fan of team books that are actually stealth solos. She has a fan base and major Marvel connections which should be used to move her into a bigger status quo than her 90s “X-Factor/Side team” status.
    Last edited by UncannyLZ; 05-23-2022 at 07:53 PM.

One of the other issues with what Marvel would consider a risky solo (anyone other than a surefire bet as lead) is that there is a danger of being derailed by having the artist, or possibly even the writer yoinked to whatever high profile project Marvel wants to push.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Lorna isn't unique enough to have a solo ongoing. Maybe a mini-series with a good concept, but I don't even know if mini-series still exist. Realistically, very very few characters can maintain a successful ongoing. That said, a stellar creative team could probably keep a Polaris title on the shelves, but I still see it as a short-term venture -- not long-term.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Exactly!

While I did like the green and gold and the original design, I also like the classic look as well as the green teal accents too.
    When I posted that, I was forgetting about Steranko's cover to X-Men 50. That is really the basis for Lorna's classic look. But the interior pages of that issue use the golden helmet and arm bands that Heck referenced for his issue. I would guess that Steranko drew the cover to #50 after the interior -- so no idea why the cover is such a departure from his interior version. Obviously, Neal Adams went with the cover version in his run.