Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Thought I would take a moment to post some powerful moments Lorna has had over the past couple of years during Krakoa. Polaris has really gotten the opportunity to show out a number of different times, and here are a few I've really enjoyed.

Thrilled that being a part of X-Men has allowed Lorna to remind readers how powerful she is, both in terms of persona and power, and seeing her play a part in the larger Marvel Universe.

BANNED

Well said, Soulsword323, and great choices. Polaris metal-bending a giant cocoon to protect the whole team from that monstrous Mind-Reaver assault in the very first issue, then combining her powers with Jean's in the next, to do something like this:

By accident, no less, makes them two of her best, most memorable moments to date. And X of Swords: Creation remains a near flawless execution in every respect, especially character depiction, so an all-time favorite of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    2009's War of Kings #1:

Her playing patty-cake with Luna while simultaneously pressing Crystal's buttons, is a nice, little character defining-moment.

What a ringing endorsement, I love your enthusiasm, and absolutely agree. It's been a boon, and the gift that keeps on giving.
    Right! Thank you for the reminder.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

2009's War of Kings #1:

Her playing patty-cake with Luna while simultaneously pressing Crystal's buttons, is a nice, little character defining-moment.
    I know it only really appeared here, but I was into the idea of a Lorna/Crystal friendship. They seemed to have a fun dynamic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hekabolos View Post
    I know it only really appeared here, but I was into the idea of a Lorna/Crystal friendship. They seemed to have a fun dynamic.
    In the late Silver Age, they were the two most power heroines in the Marvel Universe -- yet they were rarely ever used -- maybe because of that. I know Roy Thomas had that annoying habit of depowering heroines --as Lorna went through some ups and downs since the Neal Adams era up until the Claremont/Cockrum era. I don't know if Crystal ever experienced a similar power down, but it wouldn't surprise me. She had a worse showing that Lorna in the Bronze Age-- never did anything in the short-lived Inhumans title.

I noticed something Lorna related from Magneto's iconic Savage Land arc with Rogue. What pose is Magneto homaging here?

Edit: After about two hours and no answer. X-Men #50

DnA called her a rogue princess in that series and wrote Lorna very much in Machiavellian princess form. She manipulated the proceedings to get Crystal named the people's princess of the Kree and to get Crystal to put Gladiator in charge of the Shi'ar.

It was very in keeping with Lorna's more princess/mutant royalty theme which one can argue was there since her first storyline, but often gets ignored.

With Inferno #4 gone I have to say farewell to Hickman. I enjoyed Hickman’s take on Lorna in House of X and am sad to see him leave the X-books, but hope he has success in his other endeavors.

Its early in her new X-Men run, but a number of things are working such as giving her some of her anti-hero cred/edge back, having her competent at using her powers, her urban princess persona, along with a few grounding mechanisms for people to connect with the character.

Anyway.

Polaris for Heroes Multiverse.

Last edited by jmc247; 01-07-2022 at 02:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Right! Thank you for the reminder.
    My pleasure.

Absolutely agree.

Same with you, jmc247, and nice catch. I also agree on Hickman, and the entirety of the X-office really. I will always remember fondly and be forever grateful, for the much-needed injection of excitement and reengagement from fans, but mostly for how just about all characters are for the better because of it. Reworked, rehabilitated if applicable, or basically just refreshed and given some shine, many are being handled respectfully, with care, and living their best lives.

And oh yeah, Duggan's edgy, unpredictable urban princess portrayal, definitely seems to be really clicking. With that punchy persona overlaying those relatable quirks underneath, alongside the growing self-assuredness in her abilities and bits of personal, internal discovery to accompany it, the depiction's really hitting a lot of harmonious notes.

Also, what was everyone's thoughts on Lorna being the one who made the call in:

Hellions #18, to implement the Empath imperative. Somewhat suspicious, if you ask me. And Shiro making a point of attacking Alex piques my curiosity, too. At least he didn't react like Everett, though, and make a scene. Laura was probably like, "Stop, I don't need somebody protecting me. But thank you, even if it was silly, it was because you care."

Lastly, speaking of games, did my fellow Polaris fans ever see this, from back in late 2020:

I love the look and the changes made, with all the black and gold added, it's super sharp.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-08-2022 at 07:48 AM.

BANNED

Doctor Polaris!!

vs. Dr. Stasis?!

Same with you, jmc247, and nice catch.
    Lorna has cribbed a few of his poses so it evens out.

Lastly, speaking of games, did my fellow Polaris fans ever see this, from back in late 2020:

I love the look and the changes made, with all the black and gold added, it's super sharp.
    I have been not all that excited about Lorna's recent game appearances other than that one and its the one that still isn't available in the US. It has a good voice for the character, a good power set, and her early 00s costume. It's hard to get better then that.

I also agree on Hickman, and the entirety of the X-office really. I will always remember fondly and be forever grateful, for the much-needed injection of excitement and reengagement from fans, but mostly for how just about all characters are for the better because of it. Reworked, rehabilitated if applicable, or basically just refreshed and given some shine, many are being handled respectfully, with care, and living their best lives.

And oh yeah, Duggan's edgy, unpredictable urban princess portrayal, definitely seems to be really clicking. With that punchy persona overlaying those relatable quirks underneath, alongside the growing self-assuredness in her abilities and bits of personal, internal discovery to accompany it, the depiction's really hitting a lot of harmonious notes.
    There is a divide growing between the ends justify means council and some of the team. Though where Lorna fits into this matter remains to be seen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Lorna has cribbed a few of his poses so it evens out.

I have been not all that excited about Lorna's recent game appearances other than that one and its the one that still isn't available in the US. It has a good voice for the character, a good power set, and her early 00s costume. It's hard to get better then that.

There is a divide growing between the ends justify means council and some of the team. Though where Lorna fits into this matter remains to be seen.
    That's funny because it's true, to the point where it's even happened unintentionally, and I like it a lot. It reminds me of Logan and Laura in some ways, and I hope that trend continues to grow.

That game never being available in the US was and is still, a huge letdown. Not only is it Polaris' best appearance ever but the only chance I would've had so far, to play the likes of her, Iceman, Moonstar, and so, so many more, all together and on the same team.

You can see here that Lorna's one of the few dual-class characters, and how her as well as Bobby and Dani, are all rated as top, S-tier playable options:
    https://www.pokemongroup.com/marvel-...war-tier-list/

And that's why I brought up Empath, because that means the nasty QC and specifically, Emma. Who I'm not very happy with right now, for how she betrayed and treated Erik all throughout Inferno, after everything he's done for her. Not to mention what the House of M as a whole, has done for Krakoa, Arrako, and mutantdom in its entirety. That's why I'm *so* glad he's going to go hang with Ororo, to hopefully hash things out over her no vote on Wanda's resurrection, and just heal. I feel so bad for the guy, he needs it, and it'll be good for both him and her.

That's funny because it's true, to the point where it's even happened unintentionally, and I like it a lot. It reminds me of Logan and Laura in some ways, and I hope that trend continues to grow.
    There were a few times it probably happened accidentally like The Gifted episode X-Roads. Most of the times in the comics I suspect it was just the artist having fun.

And that's why I brought up Empath, because that means the nasty QC and specifically, Emma. Who I'm not very happy with right now, for how she betrayed and treated Erik all throughout Inferno, after everything he's done for her. Not to mention what the House of M as a whole, has done for Krakoa, Arrako, and mutantdom in its entirety. That's why I'm *so* glad he's going to go hang with Ororo, to hopefully hash things out over her no vote on Wanda's resurrection, and just heal. I feel so bad for the guy, he needs it, and it'll be good for both him and her.
    He will have some time away from the council to get things in order. Hickman's run has ended, but here are a few memories of better days for Mags. Also, when I last enjoyed reading Lorna and Mags together.

Last edited by jmc247; 01-09-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Would anyone ever want to see the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams era group as their own team again? I guess it may be too lacking in diversity, but it would be fun to see them as a group again -- even if just for a mini-series.

I love Polaris so much. Always have. I hope she isn't pulled from the X-Men any time soon.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Would anyone ever want to see the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams era group as their own team again? I guess it may be too lacking in diversity, but it would be fun to see them as a group again -- even if just for a mini-series.
    I'd love to see a mini-series with them. Polaris and Havok feel so distant from their class of X-Men for the most part, so it'd be cool for a writer to flesh out their dynamics with the team. Would particularly enjoy seeing more of Lorna and Jean, and seeing more interactions in general between Lorna and Bobby. We haven't had a decent scene with them in years, and it is a huge oversight IMO.

Even if something like this never comes to fruition, I'd still like a writer to have Polaris and Iceman have some meaningful interactions.

The best piece of Polaris merch the past few years came out this past Fall.

Link

Any new merch people are hoping for in 2022?

In terms of Lorna perhaps the biggest question for this year is how they handle her inclusion in books outside the main x-title. Is she written generically or not and how much of her more edgy urban princess persona shines through.

Lorna in the early 90s was for about two years a character that was part of the greater Marvel universe who one might see in comics like Infinity War. She didn't stick around or do much there, because unlike some other characters including her father she was seen as not offering much to shake things up. Today she offers alot more to any interaction then she did back then.

The biggest success for Lorna the past five years is the changeover in the new generation of fans from seeing her as the generic hero team mom of X-Factor into something much more complicated, interesting and thought provoking. Though the comics have a long way to go in successfully developing Lorna as a genuine divided between worlds character.

X-patterns collection
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-10-2022 at 08:56 AM.