Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Not too much Lorna in X-Men today, but she does have a small role. Hopefully she'll have more to do in the next one. The gown she got was great though. Very beautiful.

I posted my comments in the thread but this was the first issue that I thought was a miss for Duggan's Lorna for me. I didnt like her as a white woman going to a foreign planet, acting ditzy, buying a dress and in the same breath comment that it was built on slave labor which she just supported. Her dialogue was cringeworthy and was not a good look for her

It really wasn’t that deep. She got a new dress in the girls night issue in deep space before beating the villain

I posted my thoughts about the dress on my Tumblr. Going to copy and paste them here.

I'll be honest, I think a little more could be done with this look. It feels like it's missing something around the shoulders and head. BUT - this is an important but - this is a massive improvement compared to the Hellfire Gala dress from last year.

It maintains the green as her primary color while adding gold - which serves three valuable character-related points.

One, it's a visual callback to her very first costume.

Two, gold fits well with her powers being tied to metal and all.

Three, gold is one of those colors historically associated with royalty, which also fits her status as a mutant princess via Genosha very well.

She's also utilizing her powers here which is a massive booster for the look. Both with the little green and gold bits under her skirt, and with the other multicolored pieces (not sure exactly what they are) at the bottom. Since she has control over the electromagnetic spectrum, she has access to all visible colors in addition to non-visible wavelengths.

All in all, I'm happy to see that Marvel was willing to give a new dress a shot. I thought for sure they wouldn't do something like this based on what I've seen in the past about Marvel, and it means a lot that they were willing to do this. I hope they continue in that vein. And that this isn't just a means of assuaging fans before doing something bad with Lorna in the near future, which is another thing they often do.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

First, I have to comment on AIPT's review.

Duggan has struggled to effectively juggle the characters in this X-Men line up, but in this issue, each character actually does get their own moment to shine. Synch, Cyclops, and Jean Grey get the best action sequences by far. Though it’s nice to see Lorna included in this issue and actually having speaking lines, she’s hardly in it and doesn’t feel completely necessary. One thing X-Men has failed to do is use Polaris in any meaningful way, which is sad considering she’s the only character here readers actually voted for to be on the book.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/11/x-men-11-review/
    On one level I don't entirely disagree that Lorna has been lacking a broad arc or motivation. A great run combines motivation, a character arc, and provocative characterization together. This run for Lorna does not do that, but it still can and should so far be considered a mostly good run for her.

Next. Lorna didn't have a big role in X-Men 11, but she had some role unlike X-Men 6 thru 10. I like the outfit. It still could use some work here and there, but its a huge step up from the outfit that just this past week after posting the new Heroclix figure of produced two pages here of mockery and bitter complaints. The Heroclix message board also commented on how horrible the outfit was and how little it felt like Lorna which was a problem with her last run that little thought was given to who Lorna was pre-Krakoa or even who she was under Hickman's pen when moving her storyline.

The increased princess feel to the outfit was a good choice by using gold. This was a light issue for Lorna, but there was good to be had. Hopefully if X-Men 12 is the end of Duggan writing her she goes out well.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-13-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I hope no one minds that I post this now. I know Juan included a link, but I wanted post the image in the thread now that sometime has passed and others are posting images in other threads.

Agree with Jmc and Salarta that the Princess/roalty feel of the dress is really good, and that including gold was a great choice. It looks like there are some kind of gems or stones floating around the bottom? It's really pretty. It looks like there are rings around it as well.

I wonder if this will end up being her Gala look, and if so, maybe we'll actually get a better look at it soon.

Incredible Member

She should wear a metalic construction made by her to show up her powers, I am borded by those green mess she used here and in the last gala.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    She should wear a metalic construction made by her to show up her powers, I am borded by those green mess she used here and in the last gala.
    While I disagree about this dress, I do agree on Lorna using her powers to make an outfit for herself. It's one of my fave ideas that I think would work well for her, and it would be neat to see it in action. Just have her out on a civilian day, suddenly she needs to go into action and uses nearby metal to suit up at a moment's notice.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    You aren't wrong that Lorna should more often be willing to create a outfit/costume out of metal. It doesn't need to be at the upcoming gala, but it should happen again. When is the last time she did that? All I can think of off the top of my head is her almost wedding.

Also, I noticed this and sadly understand where the fan is coming from.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of a certain level of the humanizing Duggan has done and trying to make her relatable, but I share the worry they have made all other aspects of the character nonexistent and many of this fans complaints can be put at the table of her previous writer.

What is there beyond the coffee and the tude? If X-Men 12 be the end we have two more issues to go that issue and perhaps the gala to find out. I was very much willing to wait for Duggan to answer the question thinking she would have more then a year if Duggan enjoyed writing her. But, time is short it seems for explaining who is Lorna.

I will say that the urban princess persona when it was tried in the early 00s I felt worked as an addition to the other issues she was going through though. We will find out soon enough if anything will be added onto Lorna's character, but right now she hasn't had a story arc or a bigger motivation or goal in X-Men.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-14-2022 at 06:59 AM.

https://twitter.com/unimpressedfave/...45253245698050

Polaris cameo in X-MEN Unlimited n 35

Last edited by juan678; 05-16-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I posted my thoughts about the dress on my Tumblr. Going to copy and paste them here.

I'll be honest, I think a little more could be done with this look. It feels like it's missing something around the shoulders and head. BUT - this is an important but - this is a massive improvement compared to the Hellfire Gala dress from last year.

It maintains the green as her primary color while adding gold - which serves three valuable character-related points.

One, it's a visual callback to her very first costume.

Two, gold fits well with her powers being tied to metal and all.

Three, gold is one of those colors historically associated with royalty, which also fits her status as a mutant princess via Genosha very well.

She's also utilizing her powers here which is a massive booster for the look. Both with the little green and gold bits under her skirt, and with the other multicolored pieces (not sure exactly what they are) at the bottom. Since she has control over the electromagnetic spectrum, she has access to all visible colors in addition to non-visible wavelengths.

All in all, I'm happy to see that Marvel was willing to give a new dress a shot. I thought for sure they wouldn't do something like this based on what I've seen in the past about Marvel, and it means a lot that they were willing to do this. I hope they continue in that vein. And that this isn't just a means of assuaging fans before doing something bad with Lorna in the near future, which is another thing they often do.
    Yes, I have always loved Lorna's original Green and Gold.

I wish they could come up with a really nice new look for Lorna using the Green and Gold.

Also, give Lorna some nice hair!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

more pic thanks Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    To those interested, those are Maggot’s words in the caption. Also, the way he calls her Ms. Grey, before she tells him to pull the trigger and vacuum up the mess though.

Link

Upper Deck Premier