Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I'm not expecting much for Reckoning War as it's mostly focused on the FF + She-Hulk but I hope she gets a good showing in the X-Men / Black Knight one-shot

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    There were a few times it probably happened accidentally like The Gifted episode X-Roads. Most of the times in the comics I suspect it was just the artist having fun.

He will have some time away from the council to get things in order. Hickman's run has ended, but here are a few memories of better days for Mags. Also, when I last enjoyed reading Lorna and Mags together.
    You're probably right. And yeah, good times and bad times, just like the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Would anyone ever want to see the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams era group as their own team again? I guess it may be too lacking in diversity, but it would be fun to see them as a group again -- even if just for a mini-series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I'd love to see a mini-series with them. Polaris and Havok feel so distant from their class of X-Men for the most part, so it'd be cool for a writer to flesh out their dynamics with the team. Would particularly enjoy seeing more of Lorna and Jean, and seeing more interactions in general between Lorna and Bobby. We haven't had a decent scene with them in years, and it is a huge oversight IMO.

Even if something like this never comes to fruition, I'd still like a writer to have Polaris and Iceman have some meaningful interactions.
    Having read some of those issues fairly recently, I would also, absolutely. There's something about the dynamic and presentation, it charmed me, and almost instantly made me real partial to it. The first mutant circuit, all the way back then, in #65?

And Soulsword323 nailed it! Especially about a Bobby and Lorna reunion!! I've been begging for them to be brought together again, because I strongly believe their past chemistry would make for a great surrogate sibling relationship, in this glorious new age. They're both doing better than ever now, and finally coming into their own, to embrace their MVP destinies. I see so many similarities and parallels between them, from their earliest beginnings to the current day. I could go on forever, and plan to, piecemeal style. As a sample, here's one of my favorite bits from Black Sun 3, when he came looking for her in Genosha:

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    I love Polaris so much. Always have. I hope she isn't pulled from the X-Men any time soon.
    I hope so, too, but it sounds as though she might be. If that's the case, I intend to enjoy it while it lasts, regardless. Thank you for the shout-out, it's always nice to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I'm not expecting much for Reckoning War as it's mostly focused on the FF + She-Hulk but I hope she gets a good showing in the X-Men / Black Knight one-shot
    I just hope it's at least a little more than a cameo, but being a fan of Way of X, I am curious how that particular creative team handles her.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-10-2022 at 09:30 PM.

BANNED

The best piece of Polaris merch the past few years came out this past Fall.

Link

Any new merch people are hoping for in 2022?

In terms of Lorna perhaps the biggest question for this year is how they handle her inclusion in books outside the main x-title. Is she written generically or not and how much of her more edgy urban princess persona shines through.

Lorna in the early 90s was for about two years a character that was part of the greater Marvel universe who one might see in comics like Infinity War. She didn't stick around or do much there, because unlike some other characters including her father she was seen as not offering much to shake things up. Today she offers alot more to any interaction then she did back then.

The biggest success for Lorna the past five years is the changeover in the new generation of fans from seeing her as the generic hero team mom of X-Factor into something much more complicated, interesting and thought provoking. Though the comics have a long way to go in successfully developing Lorna as a genuine divided between worlds character.

X-patterns collection
    It did, and I loved it so much, I bought two. Along with the same for Iceman. No Sunfire yet, though, sadly. Probably the House of M next, and then maybe the likes of Nightcrawler and Gambit, I'm thinking. For Lorna in 2022, barring an awesome game appearance I can actually play, maybe a Marvel Legends in her new X-Men look. That'd be pretty iconic, with her little coffee and sunglasses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Flavalawn...57890430115849

I really like the way you said that last part, it's so well-put and spot-on. Let's continue to drive it home, and make it known.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-10-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see a mini-series with them. Polaris and Havok feel so distant from their class of X-Men for the most part, so it'd be cool for a writer to flesh out their dynamics with the team. Would particularly enjoy seeing more of Lorna and Jean, and seeing more interactions in general between Lorna and Bobby. We haven't had a decent scene with them in years, and it is a huge oversight IMO.

Even if something like this never comes to fruition, I'd still like a writer to have Polaris and Iceman have some meaningful interactions.
    Absolutely.

It's a shame the book was cancelled so shortly after Havok and Polaris joined. John Byrne revisited it in The Hidden Years, but whether or not his approach echoed Thomas's run, I found it vastly disappointing. I think those years are probably better left alone -- or just limited to a story or two. But yes, let's see them today while they are all alive (honestly, I'm not sure about Warren's current status).

Maybe that era is too far gone for current writers to have an interest in writing that particular iteration, but I think there must be writers who have suggested it -- and maybe just didn't have a strong conception for it to be approved.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Anyone else worried about what happens to Polaris after the new X-Men vote?

Not sure if Lorna will be sticking around or not, as they haven't stated exactly what will happen to the original lineup. I hope to still see Duggan writing Polaris, but I'm afraid she might end up in limbo.

Any new merch people are hoping for in 2022?
    Would love a Marvel Legends Polaris with her X-Men costume.

Absolutely.

It's a shame the book was cancelled so shortly after Havok and Polaris joined. John Byrne revisited it in The Hidden Years, but whether or not his approach echoed Thomas's run, I found it vastly disappointing. I think those years are probably better left alone -- or just limited to a story or two. But yes, let's see them today while they are all alive (honestly, I'm not sure about Warren's current status).

Maybe that era is too far gone for current writers to have an interest in writing that particular iteration, but I think there must be writers who have suggested it -- and maybe just didn't have a strong conception for it to be approved.
    Yeah, I didn't like what I've seen of Hidden Years. Still haven't read it, but it didn't look like it did a lot of favors to Lorna in particular. Even if no one really wants to do much with that era, I do wish writers tried to remember that Lorna and Alex lived with the O5, and should have some deeper relationships then what's often portrayed.

Absolutely.

Jeff Parker did an X-Men First Class book that dealt with the team from the early days up through Lorna's very early days. She didn't end up getting much in the way of screen time, but she did appear in one of Jean's nightmares.

The series played up Wanda and Jean's relationship behind the scenes. Every 5 to 10 years Marvel does a new such series. I think the big problem with Lorna in that period was writers and editorial had conflicting visions which is why Lorna had a very hard time for decades after. It wasn't until Genosha that Marvel started appreciating enough the absolute mess they made of her story to start correcting it.

I am not just talking in terms of her parentage. Turning her back into a character one can imagine working on a grand dream to save the mutant race that the X-Men are against was important to the resurrection of the character. There is nothing wrong with being humanized, but she was turned into something generic and uninteresting.

I noticed this era came up in a book out.

And Soulsword323 nailed it! Especially about a Bobby and Lorna reunion!! I've been begging for them to be brought together again, because I strongly believe their past chemistry would make for a great surrogate sibling relationship, in this glorious new age. They're both doing better than ever now, and finally coming into their own, to embrace their MVP destinies. I see so many similarities and parallels between them, from their earliest beginnings to the current day. I could go on forever, and plan to, piecemeal style. As a sample, here's one of my favorite bits from Black Sun 3, when he came looking for her in Genosha:
    Their interaction there and in X-Men 99 was cute. It was very much a replay of their original 60s story in alot of ways just better written.

I noticed in the Krakoa discussion with Duggan on twitter someone called Krakoa and Genosha fascist states. That couldn't be any further than the truth. Genosha was very much like Imperial Germany. Humans were a part of Genoshan society. It was an Imperialist authoritarian state certainly, but akin to 19th century Europe. Humans were part of cabinet along with Lorna and Pietro.

Krakoa is basically an expansionist techno-organic commune.

Not sure if Lorna will be sticking around or not, as they haven't stated exactly what will happen to the original lineup. I hope to still see Duggan writing Polaris, but I'm afraid she might end up in limbo.
    She has been one of the more successful things to come out of this run of X-Men. I doubt issue #12 will be the last time she is written by Duggan or that she won't go to another book if she is off X-Men. She is in an interesting position once tensions grow between the X-Men/council and humanity/Krakoa.

Yeah, I didn't like what I've seen of Hidden Years. Still haven't read it, but it didn't look like it did a lot of favors to Lorna in particular. Even if no one really wants to do much with that era, I do wish writers tried to remember that Lorna and Alex lived with the O5, and should have some deeper relationships then what's often portrayed.
    Byrne was too wedded to Claremont's conception of Lorna. He wrote her a little bit tougher than Claremont and closer to 1970 Lorna, but she was still a fairly generic heroine which Lorna doesn't work well as. Compounded to that she was stuck in Bobby and Havok's relationship drama soap while the actual original five interacted and did stuff. He is now doing an unofficial backstory comic series based on the 70s/80s comics.

Lorna's problem on the X-Men began before her first 60s storyline ended with the retcon of her parentage. The second problem was when she came back her edge was gone and she reduced to a love interest. Her current depiction is closer to the one in her first storyline then the mother hen depictions that seemingly try to turn her into a generic team mom.

Last edited by jmc247; 01-11-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Random question for the crowd:

What did people think of Zaladane and her claim that she was Lorna's sister? I honestly can't remember what the final word on her being a mutant even was, since she usually relied on her sorcery, and the superstrength Lorna got when she and Lorna swapped powers was usually described as being Zala's power as a mutate, a result of genetic manipulations rather than natural birth. So I suppose whether or not she could be brought back via the resurrection protocols is less a matter of 'does she canonically qualify for them' and more just 'will at any point Marvel WANT to bring her back via them,' in which case its a fairly simple matter to just say even if Zaladane was a mutate in her previous appearances her powers as such could've been a dormant X-gene just unlocked early by experiments instead of her manifesting naturally.

Again, it really just comes down to if there's any interest in revisiting that plot at any point, so just curious if anyone thinks its worth revisiting. Tbh, I was kinda half-expecting her name to get dropped in the X-Men issue a couple months ago where the High Evolutionary showed up, given that Zala worked as his assistant at some point. Was actually surprised when I finished the issue without him making some kind of cryptic tease to Lorna about how like her sister she is (especially given that the High Evolutionary is closely tied to Wanda and Pietro's own history, and he keeps a close enough eye on them all creeper-like, that like, it wouldn't surprise me if he's aware that as of recently Lorna and Wanda have still expressed seeing each other as sister's, thus making a coy reference to her sister pretty effective as a tease since it could refer to either Wanda or Zala, and good old Herb has ties to them both).

Astonishing Member

Honestly, thought it was crap! I didn't like that it again took Lorna off the playing field. That secondary mutation when she looked like an Amazon was too little, too late (and glad it didn't last).

I don't really want to bash Claremont's handling of Lorna -- because he did give her a couple of good showings in his run -- and also christened her 'Polaris'. But except for X-Men 97 and 146 and a quick appearance in Marvel Team-Up (the Havok issue), his handling of the character was a mess. Being that she wasn't used much, he should have been able to give her more to do when he did include her.

Would love a Marvel Legends Polaris with her X-Men costume.

Actually, I’m worried too. I read some other threads on here where fans of other characters want their shot. But is it fair to have Lorna voted in for one year then have her cast out afterwards? I can easily see this happening because it’s Marvel! When there are so many mutants and so few titles for all of them to be in, it becomes frustrating to have your favorite character fight for screen time! Hopefully, this won’t happen to Polaris again!

BANNED

It might just be that those who win and actually get voted in by fans, are the ones that get to stay. And I have other thoughts, too, concerning the following three things:

Scott & Jean's decision to split the team, in X-Men #3.

Iceman's being at the forefront of the Destiny of X teaser and his role still being unknown, which today's Marauders #27 may shed some light on.

Then lastly, this curious, cryptic Twitter hint from those in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    I hate to get my or anybody else's hopes up, because if wrong, the letdown's really going to be a bummer. But shortly after tweeting about the X-Men Red logos, design artist Tom Muller slyly slid this cryptic teaser out, "The coolest thing?"

https://twitter.com/hellomuller/stat...73313436037129

And I couldn't help but notice that like by Inferno's Valerio Schiti, who I was already wondering the whereabouts of, after all the creative teams were announced. I figured we'd probably lost him, like we did Zeb Wells, which I still haven't gotten over yet. His writing was so my thing.

I also considered Bobby's placement in the official Destiny of X picture, same as Ororo but on the other side, almost like bookends. Or better yet, pillars. Then combining X-Men 7 and the #6 variant by Larraz & Gracia has been regularly popping into my head a lot recently, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    Actually, I’m worried too. I read some other threads on here where fans of other characters want their shot. But is it fair to have Lorna voted in for one year then have her cast out afterwards? I can easily see this happening because it’s Marvel! When there are so many mutants and so few titles for all of them to be in, it becomes frustrating to have your favorite character fight for screen time! Hopefully, this won’t happen to Polaris again!
    It depends on what that year does for her in the eyes of the writers and fan feedback. Hopefully for the regulars in here she either moves to be one of the non-voted members or a decent role in one of the other books.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

IDK, but after reading Marauders #27, I'm sensing even more congruent themes.
    And thought thematically speaking, this evocative image in particular, *potentially*...

... could very well prove prescient, in the not too distant future: House of M.Frost?

Don't worry, Mags, because when it comes to making a tasty, mutant sausage mix...

... you *got* to go thru the grinder.

Oh, and are they, *you know... more than mutant?*

https://www.cbr.com/one-x-man-may-be...more-powerful/

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-iceman-ome...tant-god-tier/

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Random question for the crowd:

What did people think of Zaladane and her claim that she was Lorna's sister? I honestly can't remember what the final word on her being a mutant even was, since she usually relied on her sorcery, and the superstrength Lorna got when she and Lorna swapped powers was usually described as being Zala's power as a mutate, a result of genetic manipulations rather than natural birth. So I suppose whether or not she could be brought back via the resurrection protocols is less a matter of 'does she canonically qualify for them' and more just 'will at any point Marvel WANT to bring her back via them,' in which case its a fairly simple matter to just say even if Zaladane was a mutate in her previous appearances her powers as such could've been a dormant X-gene just unlocked early by experiments instead of her manifesting naturally.

Again, it really just comes down to if there's any interest in revisiting that plot at any point, so just curious if anyone thinks its worth revisiting. Tbh, I was kinda half-expecting her name to get dropped in the X-Men issue a couple months ago where the High Evolutionary showed up, given that Zala worked as his assistant at some point. Was actually surprised when I finished the issue without him making some kind of cryptic tease to Lorna about how like her sister she is (especially given that the High Evolutionary is closely tied to Wanda and Pietro's own history, and he keeps a close enough eye on them all creeper-like, that like, it wouldn't surprise me if he's aware that as of recently Lorna and Wanda have still expressed seeing each other as sister's, thus making a coy reference to her sister pretty effective as a tease since it could refer to either Wanda or Zala, and good old Herb has ties to them both).
    I think Zaladane and the claim she's Lorna's sister could provide some good drama some day, but we're not at a point yet where her returning would bring anything good. We're getting closer to that point with Lorna on X-Men and getting treated better there, but we still need Lorna built up more as a safeguard against her being treated poorly for Zaladane's benefit. It was only a year ago that Lorna was treated poorly on X-Factor to make Siryn/Morrigan look more dangerous, after all. We also need the twins restored as Magneto's kids (and Lorna's siblings).

I don't really want to bash Claremont's handling of Lorna -- because he did give her a couple of good showings in his run -- and also christened her 'Polaris'. But except for X-Men 97 and 146 and a quick appearance in Marvel Team-Up (the Havok issue), his handling of the character was a mess. Being that she wasn't used much, he should have been able to give her more to do when he did include her.
    If the Polaris codename had just been created, I would probably be saying it should be something else. The only reason I don't make that argument is cause she's had it for so long at this point that it's better for her to keep it than to change it. Due to this, I think Marvel should do something to make the codename make more sense. There's at least one fanon for what the codename can mean for her, backed up by past comic events and statements, but that's different from having an explicit explanation that fits her as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    We won't know exactly what's going to happen. I was recently asked elsewhere what I think is going to happen with Lorna in 2022, and I'm divided. If the vote result and subsequent interest in Lorna has clued Marvel in well enough, then perhaps the company will keep on its current path of doing good things for Lorna. It might be Marvel finally doing right by the character and changing for the better. But if I went by how Marvel's treated Lorna in the past, then I'd have to be on guard for them to kick Lorna off the team and treat her poorly this year. Marvel has a history of giving her things as a prelude to treating her worse shortly after. I could easily see Marvel following up a year of Lorna on X-Men with Lorna thrown into limbo, forced into mainly being Havok's girlfriend again, or bringing back X-Factor with her back to being a supporting character on the book and treated just as bad or worse.

I would like to believe Marvel's going to treat her better now after last year's vote proved how much interest there is in her. But a decade's worth of burn leaves me pessimistic. Still, the good of the past half year on X-Men has me open enough to the idea that maybe things are finally changing in a good way.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This page is just awesome. lol. I love when i see things i didn't even think of wanting to see. lol. it looks interesting.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/