Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    lorna is another character that proves positive energy works. she stays in my mind too.

Attachment 117456
    Attachment 117457
    Attachment 117458
    So nice and encouraging, thank you!! I look forward to returning the favor with some Ororo and Lorna love, both canonical and fan-created, ASAP. It'll be incorporated into the campaign I'm officially announcing and beginning below, which logically includes lots of talk and theories surrounding Mutantdom's elemental class, specifically... given the *nature* of it. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Who do you all think are or should be Lorna’s friends on the X-Men? I’ve been doing some re-reading and really noticing how much closer Rogue and Polaris are than I remember!

Personally, I think her closest friends should be Frenzy, Rogue, Betsy and Iceman. Jean should be her oldest friend but not her closest. I think they’ve grown so much separately that they should be close but not besties.
    Her #1, fellow BIG GUN, BOBBY Drake!!!

With that, I am hereby formally proclaiming myself lead counsel in pleading the case for Polaris and Iceman being the X-Men's premier, *platonic* POWER couple, aka...
    The Lorna & Bobby Show!!
    A decidedly modern twist on the iconic Will & Grace dynamic, bent and warped by Marvel's hyper realistic, mutant superhero style, in order to fit when it's applied.
    She's his sis from another Miss, and he's her brother from another mother.
    And yes, the double entendres for both this last statement and the opening's "power couple", were intentionally implied.

Though this initial evidence is mostly circumstantial, it establishes a narrative that proves the pairing isn't a mere figment of fans' ImagiNation, but in fact stems from the POVs of actual creators and the PTB. Therefore, let us begin, with these 3 individual characters and events. I call forth the first witness and submit accompanying support for the same, to substantiate and lay the foundations of my claim:

Katherine "Kitty" Pryde/Captain Kate of the Marauders, in 2018's Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey #4

Worth mentioning, 2000's X-Men: Black Sun also has a story featuring Logan, Illyana, Lorna, and Bobby, as well as Sunfire & Banshee. Next:

Namor McKenzie/the Sub-Mariner & King of Atlantis, in 2012's Avengers Vs. X-Men #7

They know how *and why*, to pick 'em!! Last, but most important, and *definitive*:

Max "Erik Lehnsherr" Eisenhardt/Magneto & Master of Magnetism, in 2009's Civil War: House of M #4

Even though it was technically an AU, Bobby was the more prominent of only 2 X-Men shown to be in allegiance with the Magnus fam, the other being Sean again. Throughout he was often pictured at the forefront, right next to Mags and/or Lorna, leaving the impression he was among the Brotherhood's upper echelon and perhaps even their close confidant/right-hand man and/or bodyguard/enforcer. Having a trusted, second pair of eyes around you in someone on his level *in every way, has to* provide about the maximum level of security one could ever want, need, or expect.

Following this, intermittently, it will be getting far more personal. With some feels and hopefully, a little tugging on the heartstrings. They're both very sensitive and tender, you know - I just LOVE 'em so MUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I think that was part of it, but Jean was also the one who carried her out of the mass grave that was Genosha that has to be worth something at least at the time.

They haven’t made the relationship popular or iconic yet, but the outline is there. ...
    It is, but after Iceman, I think there's another of the O5 besides Jean who has demonstrated some surprising chemistry with both Lorna *currently*...
    and Bobby, too, in the *distant* past. *He*, Logan, and the previously alluded to Ororo, will all be getting referenced in the same, topical format - CHEERS! 8D
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-22-2022 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna was pretty great in Devil's Reign today. I thought it was an enjoyable read, even if I don't get all of what's going on there.

Polaris willing to go the hole for killing Electro <3.
    I finally read the issue and I agree with you soulsword! I think I’ve come to really like Duggan’s Lorna! He really has a accurate portrayal of her character voice and powers. Like the other Polaris stans here, I wish more of her history like Genosha and Magneto were brought up and that the team bounced more of their personalities against each other but for the “superhero” book by the current writer, I think this is the best we could get!

I finally read Devil's Reign today, and it was good. In line with what I've hoped to see with depiction of Lorna. I think Duggan's doing well with her.

Like jmc said, I believe this story did a good job of demonstrating the differing approaches between Emma, Jean, and Lorna, and provides an excellent setup for how the three of them could operate together. Here's my impressions based on these depictions. Jean is a good will diplomatic type, someone who prefers restraint and cooperation, whose use of her powers in these situations would be more for getting useful information toward that end than anything else. Emma is a cunning back deal political type, who would be willing to exploit her powers to get what she wants even if it crosses lines. And Lorna, in these situations, can play it cool and playful but if push comes to shove she's ready to tear everything down to take what she wants even if she burns some bridges.

Out of this, we see some initial conflict and hiccups in their philosophies though they don't come to blows over it. None of the three really know what the other two are thinking and planning. Jean just wanted Lorna to stall for time. Lorna, left with an impression nothing was happening and faced with a conflict, was ready to act on her own to end it, only for Jean to come in and restrain Lorna from doing something Jean wouldn't have agreed with. Jean, not knowing what Emma was doing, was ready to move operations out of New York (which is what Fisk wanted) to save their image in the diplomatic sphere and avoid conflict with Fisk despite him being a villain. She was stopped from that course by Emma showing up, revealing she managed to cunning their way into the X-Men staying by overruling Fisk with the United Nations.

We didn't get as much panel time with Lorna, but what we did get, I think did a great job of demonstrating where Lorna can fit with Jean and Emma where they all get respectful use and different points of view that don't overlap with each other. Each of these philosophies isn't inherently bad or good. They're just better in some situations than others, especially depending on your goals.

I still have to read the Doctor Strange one.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

WOW, Salarta!!! That's a very insightful, well-articulated, and overall outstanding read, on how Duggan differentiated the demeanor and subsequently the dynamic, between 3 of DRXM's leading ladies. Props and appreciation, fellow Polaris fan. Same goes for the G-man, he can write all my favorite characters for as long as he wants, because I think he's doing a great job with each and every one of them.

And you know, on second thought, forget 'power couple'. Polaris & Iceman are PiCs:

PARTNERS in CRIME!!

Mess with mutants, and you'll pay with a pound of flesh. So says the muscle of KrakoArakko.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I finally read Devil's Reign today, and it was good. In line with what I've hoped to see with depiction of Lorna. I think Duggan's doing well with her.

Like jmc said, I believe this story did a good job of demonstrating the differing approaches between Emma, Jean, and Lorna, and provides an excellent setup for how the three of them could operate together. Here's my impressions based on these depictions. Jean is a good will diplomatic type, someone who prefers restraint and cooperation, whose use of her powers in these situations would be more for getting useful information toward that end than anything else. Emma is a cunning back deal political type, who would be willing to exploit her powers to get what she wants even if it crosses lines. And Lorna, in these situations, can play it cool and playful but if push comes to shove she's ready to tear everything down to take what she wants even if she burns some bridges.

Out of this, we see some initial conflict and hiccups in their philosophies though they don't come to blows over it. None of the three really know what the other two are thinking and planning. Jean just wanted Lorna to stall for time. Lorna, left with an impression nothing was happening and faced with a conflict, was ready to act on her own to end it, only for Jean to come in and restrain Lorna from doing something Jean wouldn't have agreed with. Jean, not knowing what Emma was doing, was ready to move operations out of New York (which is what Fisk wanted) to save their image in the diplomatic sphere and avoid conflict with Fisk despite him being a villain. She was stopped from that course by Emma showing up, revealing she managed to cunning their way into the X-Men staying by overruling Fisk with the United Nations.

We didn't get as much panel time with Lorna, but what we did get, I think did a great job of demonstrating where Lorna can fit with Jean and Emma where they all get respectful use and different points of view that don't overlap with each other. Each of these philosophies isn't inherently bad or good. They're just better in some situations than others, especially depending on your goals.

I still have to read the Doctor Strange one.
    I agree with everything you said here Salarta! Perfectly said!

I wouldn’t rush to get the Death of Dr. Strange Tie in. I read it and Lorna only spoke once and it was in the monster form. It’s much more about Black Knight than it is the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    But I'm also bracing for the prospect that Marvel reaches July with a plan to send Lorna back to a relaunched X-Factor (or a book that is essentially X-Factor in all but name). I've been cognizant that Marvel might think of Lorna on X-Men as a means to an end of raising her profile so she can better serve as a marketing tool for X-Factor and other characters on it in the future.

It's pessimistic, but that pessimism isn't without a history to merit it. I hope I'm wrong. Marvel's had a good run lately of proving me wrong in a good way, and I'd like to see that continue.
    My interpretation of Lorna's letter to Northstar at the end of X-Men 5 was that she will be leaving the X-Men at the end of Year 1 and that Northstar will take her place in the Year 2 X-Men.
    (Obviously in the letter she just encourages him to stand for election but that was an in-universe thing and I don't see why Duggan would have put that in there unless to foreshadow Northstar joining the X-Men.)

I don't think she will end up back in X-Factor though, editorial has carved up the X-Factor cast - Daken and Aurora are going to Marauders, Rachel is going to Knights of X and Northstar (+ Kyle as support) is going to X-Men.
    It's just Prodigy and Eye-Boy left.
    But I agree with you that Lorna is a high(er) profile character now, so I'm sure that editorial has a book in mind for her once she leaves X-Men.
    I also suspect that she will have a supporting role in the Scarlet Witch ongoing series that launches later this year.

Duggan has done a reasonably good job of writing her and he'll still have her for some time: 6 more issues of the Year 1 X-Men + 2 more issues of Devil's Reign: X-Men + however many issues of Judgment Day (Duggan is involved, I'm sure his X-Men is too) + 1 Hellfire Gala one-shot. Plus, the X-Men 5 letter also foreshadowed a space adventure coming up for Polaris.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Their interaction there and in X-Men 99 was cute. It was very much a replay of their original 60s story in alot of ways just better written.
    I just reacquainted myself with 99 again, late last night. It's been a while, and it took me a bit to adjust to Booth's Bobby. I think the blond hair makes him look too much like Alex, and it just threw me off. But I really enjoyed the back & forth of their verbal sparring, as always. They're both pretty quick-witted, so they're good at it.

Bobby calling Erik Mags, lol.

Since the *twin tragedies* of Kate's & Rockslide's "deaths" *triggered* their joint turning points, though, they've been mirroring each other in many ways.
    And these days, their outlook on mutant affairs seems to have been almost *attuned* into an *alignment*, of sorts. Remarkably so, even, one might say. ;D

How times have changed, huh? 8D

Which = the perfect time for THIS:

As it *feels so... topically relevant* ;p
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-22-2022 at 09:22 AM.

BANNED

I forgot to say, that letter there, at the end... that almost could've been me, for the most part, to a T. Polaris was always on my radar, but the 12 and everything that came after, is when she started majorly pinging for me. It would take a lil' over the decade following, but by the time WatXM was over, I had a new favorite to go alongside my boy Bob-BAE. The rest is history.

She's awesome, he's awesome, Shiro's awesome... they're ALL awesome!!! And ADDITIVE only, never ever... *reductive*
    So, no worries, it's all (just) good(ness):

"A *North* Pole, ravaged by a fading spirit, lonely half of a greater whole."
    "A cold *soldier*, returned to his family."
    "The flame of the *rising* sun."
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-23-2022 at 07:40 AM.

BANNED

Oh God!!

the spark (Legion), the Celestials (Judgement), Rasputin & North (PoX(10), and "As above, so below..." (10)XoS)

He's gonna return, with his Horsemen fam, to try & get it right this time!!!!
    It's been the plan... *all along?!*
    Also... AoXM?
    Prepare for the worst. After all, there are signs this is... the end times?

BANNED

I just had to bring this over from the HoM thread, because it's stunning!

And because the face seems familiar, like I've either seen it used previously for Polaris, is of a celebrity I'm not readily recognizing, or both.
    Regardless, love it, thank you Juan!!

Also, this, again for posterity:

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    I'm going to take the liberty of referencing Salarta's excellent summation, in offering my own boiled down, oversimplified riff on the varying M.O.'s of our mutant protagonists.

Jean = deliberative, you know, like Xavier
    Lorna = instinctive, like her father, Magneto
    Emma = manipulative, as family & Hellfire taught her

This is not to say each is that only, and incapable of the other two, because that would be silly. They absolutely can be and certainly are all 3, of course. It's just these approaches are what they lean into the strongest, and where they operate from most... maybe? IDK, but given their respective Darkhölme & Howlett "tribal" influences, I'll add that I'd probably put both Rogue & Laura in with Polaris. Though Anna Marie has become somewhat more considered over the years, she still pretty much shoots from the hip, more often than not.

Also, thinking on it all, a shoutout to Lorna's tactile, "negotiating" techniques of passive resistance. She bought Ems the time she needed to do her good, dirty work. Makes sense that PHD of hers would = intuitive *smarts*, though.
    And lastly this, for the memories, and because...

it seems timely, but... expect the unexpected?
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-24-2022 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post

I wouldn’t rush to get the Death of Dr. Strange Tie in. I read it and Lorna only spoke once and it was in the monster form. It’s much more about Black Knight than it is the X-Men.
    While the Death of Dr. Strange Tie in was not damaging to Lorna... I am always very weary of future attempts to force mind control pathos back into the character's pathos (this wasn't an attempt at that) and go back to the Claremont idea dark and edgy Lorna is only someone else pulling her strings.

For some characters built in possession pathos works namely those with impeccable credentials as heroes who never or almost never cross ethical lines. Jean is case and point of that and the Phoenix allowed her to be a massive threat to the X-Men while still retaining some parts of her character even when she was Dark Phoenix.

Lorna's possessions don't work like the Phoenix and her bread is buttered much like her father and Emma as a middle ground character that fans can see either on a militant group or the X-Men. I hammered Bunn's run over the Malice issue hard not because she was going to be possessed for an issue or two. That is annoying, but ok. What I really despised was him trying to go back to the idea in the 616 of her as a generic heroine who is complex only when possessed. That is a failed concept that only keeps reoccurring because Claremont's run was iconic even though it was an abject flop for Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFan

JM in 1993 was her first writer since the 60s to realize there is gold to be had with her having a different point of view then the mainline X-Men. Though he was too subtle about it he had her believing in Xavierism, but with a sharp edge that violence even publicly should be acceptable along with killing at least on occasion to make the dream a reality. But, like I said it was done too subtlety and the next writer after him just made her occasionally bombastically violent in an uncontrolled way.

The Marvel bullpen (as they were called then) probably believed they would just have her be a mutant nationalist for a little while then have a come to God moment and realize Xavier's way is the only way and send her on her marry way.

The genocide happened and was dumped on Austen's lap by Morrison. Austen realized and quite correctly that making her have a different prospective then the mainline X-Men in an ongoing fashion actually was a real winner. Sadly, her x-writers after didn't see the concept and reverted her to a start of 90s Jean lite character or made her come off so mentally ill she was just sporadically hot headed and violent in such a way her actions were incoherent as an actual philosophy.

Hickman was the first writer to start to resurrect the idea Lorna presents a different worldview then the mainline X-Men. Duggan seems to be following that core idea as well. Though Lorna hasn't well-articulated it yet... the story is making it clear that Lorna is presenting a different point of view then Jean or Emma as shown last week that she will get in people's face and stomp on human law or even the law of the Krakoa council to get the job done.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-25-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Sideshow just put an article on the House of M.

Finally, when it comes to mutant royalty, there are few families more infamous than that of Magneto. Max Eisenhardt, who later changed his name to Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, is the undisputed Master of Magnetism. His early life was defined by loss, first his family during the Holocaust and later his wife and daughter at the hands of more hateful humans. After these events, Erik’s view of humanity would forever skew toward disgust, occasionally marked by periods of indifference.

Although he has plenty of alternate timeline children and even a clone or two, there are three children for whom Magneto is most well known. Although they were subject to an unpopular retcon because of licensing rights, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff will always be thought of as Magneto’s twins. [b]Wanda’s ability to affect probability as Scarlet Witch and Pietro’s super speed as Quicksilver made them valuable assets to their father’s cause. The twins were members of the original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, though they would later defect to the Avengers. In addition to Wanda and Pietro, Magneto also has another daughter from an affair: Lorna Dane, AKA Polaris.

These three children each carry on unique aspects of Magneto. Aside from an astonishing father-son resemblance, Pietro also shares his father’s devotion to family and his hotheadedness. Lorna, having inherited Magneto’s mastery of magnetism, is the heir of the House of M. Like her father, she is also a natural leader in any setting. Lastly, there’s Wanda, arguably Magneto’s favorite. Wanda could be said to represent the best of her father, the idealism and the fight against persecution of all kinds. Of course, both Scarlet Witch and Magneto warp that vision and hurt countless people in the process, but what’s a little pain on the road to power?

https://www.sideshow.com/blog/x-men-family-tree

I forgot to say, that letter there, at the end... that almost could've been me, for the most part, to a T. Polaris was always on my radar, but the 12 and everything that came after, is when she started majorly pinging for me. It would take a lil' over the decade following, but by the time WatXM was over, I had a new favorite to go alongside my boy Bob-BAE. The rest is history.

She's awesome, he's awesome, Shiro's awesome... they're ALL awesome!!! And ADDITIVE only, never ever... *reductive*
    So, no worries, it's all (just) good(ness):

"A *North* Pole, ravaged by a fading spirit, lonely half of a greater whole."
    "A cold *soldier*, returned to his family."
    "The flame of the *rising* sun."
    When Marvel announced their listing of Omega Level Mutants recently, I thought all of these characters would be on it, but only 4 made the inclusion.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I just had to bring this over from the HoM thread, because it's stunning!

And because the face seems familiar, like I've either seen it used previously for Polaris, is of a celebrity I'm not readily recognizing, or both.
    Regardless, love it, thank you Juan!!

I really love this pic too!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-27-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!