Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Outside of how bad Claremont is to certain characters, his other big negative trait as a writer is how poorly he works with others.
    I rarely have anything nice to say in terms of Claremont and Lorna for obvious reasons, but in this case the wormhole issue later led into his X-Men the End tale.

Then they get killed and come back as sentient energy.

That was the best he managed to write Lorna over the years. I would call it fair not good. One thing that story got that the 616 so far hasn’t is that Lorna and Mags should be able to communicate over vast distances with their powers.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-28-2022 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I rarely have anything nice to say in terms of Claremont and Lorna for obvious reasons, but in this case the wormhole issue later led into his X-Men the End tale.

Then they get killed and come back as sentient energy.

That was the best he managed to write Lorna over the years. I would call it fair not good. One thing that story got that the 616 so far hasn’t is that Lorna and Mags should be able to communicate over vast distances with their powers.
    I'm a Cyclops fan, I understand that first part very well. Although at least he gave us some excellent stories and awesome moments before he sank into hatewank over an admittedly bad decision by editorial. It's just that to this day his anger is still entirely directed at the fictional character and not at the real people who made that decision - which would be where it actually belongs.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Also, we OGX7 fans have to unite & RISE UP, to dispel the misinformation meant to defame our favorites!

And we *need* to NORMALIZE the TRUTH!!

SFcrowsnest's X-Men by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams – Gallery Edition (graphic novel review).

Without US, there might be NO X-Men today!!! It's more valid than ever, SPREAD the gospel, let's end the LIES!!!!

Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Jean, Polaris, and Havok SAVED mutants, so we could make it to the promised lands of Krakoa & Arrako!!!!!

Lastly, for now, I don't want to alarm anyone... *much* ;p, but I'm surprised nobody took notice & made mention of this potential...

FREUDIAN SLIP?!

So OUTRAGEOUS!

I have to say though, Scott, that angle does look good on you... I could live there. 8P

What If (1989) #23: What if the All-New, All-Different X-Men Never Existed? has the best comic page of all time:

BANNED

Iceman's the biggest. Given how bigoted his father is, I always assumed he grew up a WASP. Next would actually be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. I know thier father is Jewish, but I always thought Jewish tradition traced things through the mother rather than the father, and Wanda, at least for a while, emphasized Roma heritage.
    Comic Book Religion's Jewish

Comic Book Religion's Jewish Catholic

I wish that were the case, with Bobby. His mom was Jewish, I think, and his father Irish Catholic. Which... might explain a lot.

Lorna gets categorized the same, based off Mags being her dad, and her being found in a Catholic church by...

our own, *kindly* mutant priest Kurt, in 1999's X-Men #93, which was right around The 12 I think.

We don't know much about her supposed biological mother, Suzanna, or the alleged adoptive relatives who took her in. I say those things in that way because I've recently had some rather... disturbing suspicions regarding that part of her parentage, that I refuse to even speak into the universe for fear of giving them life. Oh, the shame, the shame, what a cruel world, what a cruel world.

I had blanked on David, and then was like duh, his mom Gabrielle Haller. Songbird was a surprise, though, I had no idea. Knew about Ben & Kate, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Comic Book Religion's Jewish

Comic Book Religion's Jewish Catholic

I wish that were the case, with Bobby. His mom was Jewish, I think, and his father Irish Catholic. Which... might explain a lot.

Lorna gets categorized the same, based off Mags being her dad, and her being found in a Catholic church by...

our own, *kindly* mutant priest Kurt, in 1999's X-Men #93, which was right around The 12 I think.

We don't know much about her supposed biological mother, Suzanna, or the alleged adoptive relatives who took her in. I say those things in that way because I've recently had some rather... disturbing suspicions regarding that part of her parentage, that I refuse to even speak into the universe for fear of giving them life. Oh, the shame, the shame, what a cruel world, what a cruel world.

I had blanked on David, and then was like duh, his mom Gabrielle Haller. Songbird was a surprise, though, I had no idea. Knew about Ben & Kate, of course.
    Legion wasn't a surprise for me because in the original lore Charles and Gabrielle met while doing aid work in Israel. Characters I am not overly aware of aren't where I got surprised, but rather it was characters I knew a little about and when that little supported other conclusions.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Legion wasn't a surprise for me because in the original lore Charles and Gabrielle met while doing aid work in Israel. Characters I am not overly aware of aren't where I got surprised, but rather it was characters I knew a little about and when that little supported other conclusions.
    It was less of a surprise and more of, oh yeah, that's right. It'd be more akin to a reminder, I suppose, I knew how his parents met. I had already known about Bobby prior, and to clarify, I'm happy his mother is Jewish. It's just in my experience, Catholics tend to have less tolerant views when it comes to sexuality, than Protestants. So, his dad being what he is, fits the mold. Songbird's the only one where I was like, huh, didn't know that... never even thought about it, as you say, had no reason to.

And JMC, those pages from The End are just full of awesomeness, and so damn touching. Claremont gives us there, an absolutely perfect example of how the dynamic between Lorna & Bobby should work, and as a result the amazing chemistry it has. EVERYTHING about those scenes, with Scott, Mags, even hippy Hank, the man *knows* these characters, you can't argue that. I got more things to say about it all, and some corresponding pages to add, but I'm too tired right now. Still, I wanted to say THANK YOU, because I LOVED IT & it lifted my spirits!! In a way, I feel it proves me right about how well they bounce off each other, plus they were there with... *sigh* Cyclops... he's so dreamy, I'm swooning. I got Scott Summers fever, and I got it really, REALLY bad!
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-29-2022 at 06:00 AM.

Link

Link

Gone, but not forgotten.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-30-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Incredible Member

Watch out Lorna! Sabertooth is coming for your neck!

I was really starting to question why we weren't seeing Lorna on virtually any covers for X-Men, so this is timely.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Watch out Lorna! Sabertooth is coming for your neck!
    She'll just make him dance, and make sure he knows that one time was only cause Malice was already possessing Lorna and decided to pretend at being a cowardly Lorna to tick Lorna off in her mind.

(Not like Lorna can say "I only acted that way cause the person writing me back then hated me" in-universe)
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I love seeing Polaris used in marvel marketing! Helps further show her as her own character in the Marvel Universe.

I’ve been thinking recently about Krakoa, how it’s the new status quo and what that means for Lorna. I think she should become a War Captain and that should be her status quo role on Krakoa. I think it fits her “defender of mutants” personality and would cement her place on Krakoa. She can’t be on the X-Men, but I think making her a war captain would better fit her story. It would also be a way to make her important without preventing her from doing anything else. What do you guys think/want to see happen to Polaris?

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I’ve been thinking recently about Krakoa, how it’s the new status quo and what that means for Lorna. I think she should become a War Captain and that should be her status quo role on Krakoa. I think it fits her “defender of mutants” personality and would cement her place on Krakoa. She can’t be on the X-Men, but I think making her a war captain would better fit her story. It would also be a way to make her important without preventing her from doing anything else. What do you guys think/want to see happen to Polaris?
    I'm pretty open to whatever role Lorna might take, as long as it fits certain criteria.

• Doesn't keep her from being involved where she should be (e.g. that she's not segregated to a single obscure title)
    • Suits her past development, history, and personality
    • Allows her to demonstrate who she is and explore her potential (not just power use, but in terms of roles and relationships too)
    • Recognizes her as a meaningful part of the X-Men franchise in her own right, not just as a supporting character for other characters or a character that was used on X-Factor

I feel like this criteria shouldn't even need to be said. Marvel manages to do it for plenty of other characters automatically, just in the natural course of how they see and use those characters. All the criteria I just listed could be accurately summarized as "treat Lorna the way you would want any other character you like and respect to be treated." If you like Wolverine, you're not exactly gonna want to see him relegated exclusively to an obscure side book to be a supporting character for everyone else on the book, with his own history thrown out to use him however best benefits everyone else.

I think Lorna as seen on X-Men and Devil's Reign so far has been great, and it's a great start toward good treatment for her. There's lots of room for improvement but it's still better than anything 616 in more than a decade. Marvel just needs to keep that momentum and add to it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I love seeing Polaris used in marvel marketing! Helps further show her as her own character in the Marvel Universe.

It's true that unlike her previous experience with a mutant homeland Lorna has no role in protecting or ruling Krakoa. I will also agree that either protecting or helping run Krakoa feels closer to a natural evolution of Lorna's story then being a mutant investigator or super heroics for all outside Krakoa.

Meanwhile, Jean, Scott, and company are returning to we fight for everyone pre-Decimation old school ethics.

There are two main things that have been working for Lorna on X-Men. The first thing is her princess persona and the second is her open ends justify the means willingness to break lines hasn't gone away. She seems not all that motivated by what she is doing on the team at this very moment, and we really don't know what she feels about the current status quo with humans and mutants.

This has been some of the best writing for Lorna in the comics since before M-Day and there is a ton of room for improvement as well as the story hasn't touched on how Lorna sees the world, mutant/human relations, and her own history.

Anyway, Marvel Ultimate Alliance mod.

link
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-04-2022 at 08:04 AM.

I don’t think a lot of old history is going to be touched on going forward. I think Krakoa was a soft reboot and new things are being added or reestablished. I think it’s safe for us to assume that Lorna is very pro-mutant without being anti-human (she’s still not their biggest fans imo)

Most characters who are important have defined roles that will be their status quo going forward. Cyclops and Jean have the X-Men, Storm is Regent, Shadowcat has marauders and the council etc. I think these roles will be what they cycle through on Krakoa until theirs another reboot. With the X-Men now defined more like traditional superheroes and anyone can join via the vote, Lorna can’t be on it forever. She needs an important role that writers can always go back to when she’s not a superhero. As a war captain, she could appear in any book but would always be included in the major stories