Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I think Lorna becoming a Great Captain is a good idea, and works well for her character. That's a good idea, UncannyLZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think Lorna becoming a Great Captain is a good idea, and works well for her character. That's a good idea, UncannyLZ.
    Thanks Soulsword! It’s really been hitting me lately that in the krakoan era, characters need an officially stated title connected to Krakoa to really become important. Something writers can look to currently to pull stories from. Getting Lorna to be finally seen as a X-Men was the first step and I think it’s been pretty successful. Next, we need her to have a role that’s hers outside of just being a superhero.

I'm not so sure, Cyclops started out as the Captain Commander, and outside of some dad stuff in Cable he really wasn't allowed to do much until he quit the position.

The idea might work for other positions in Krakoa, but the Captains were always in the background. Bishop was mostly MIA as well until just recently, and he held a Captain's title himself.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Lorna does very much need her mutant activist/defender credibility rebuilt. That part of the character is an obscure factoid that Marvel rarely remembers instead of being treated as an important part of her character.

Duggan has so far done a good job writing a post Genosha Polaris without actually bringing up the subject in any way that era for her. The princess persona and actually having a more ends justify the means philosophy is there.

How Lorna can resurrect her defender of mutants credibility is an interesting question. I don't think there is one answer. Her being on the council could do it. In the right hands her being a Captain could do it, though Gray Lensman is correct that to date Captain's haven't been allowed to do enough. There are ways for it to happen on X-Men as well though not in keeping with following where Scott and Jean are heading philosophically.

I will add that characters who disregard traditional superhero ethics need a solid motivation as Magneto has with the Holocaust or the Punisher has with his family being killed, etc. People want to know where a character is coming from.

Anyway art.

In progress. Link.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-05-2022 at 04:17 PM.

BANNED

Keeping things on the same pg., w/an eXtra bit to chew on:

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Apologies for bein' on the DL... ;P, but been busy, and hope to hit this place back up later tonight/over the weekend to ummm...

COMMISSION - havok, polaris e iceman #xmen, by rodrigo - COMMISSIONS OPEN
    @ro_asif

leave it LIT the F... UP!!! (PLEASE like & REtweet the hell out of THIS!!)

In addition, just for shits & giggles...

between now & then. ;D
    things that make ya go...

Hmmm? B & L seem to be in the midst of their joint enlightenment...

*cum*realization moments, can Havok be far behind... is AleX neXt?!
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 02-04-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm not so sure, Cyclops started out as the Captain Commander, and outside of some dad stuff in Cable he really wasn't allowed to do much until he quit the position.

The idea might work for other positions in Krakoa, but the Captains were always in the background. Bishop was mostly MIA as well until just recently, and he held a Captain's title himself.
    I agree that the Captains don’t do much but I think that’s more of a writing/pitch issue. Bishop should be doing WAY more but writers seem almost intimidated to do anything. Regardless of how much they are used, you still know who the captains are. It’s well past time for a Polaris to be seen as important to the X-Men franchise and I think giving her a title like Captain would do that and show more of her mutant protector side. Not sure if I would want her to take Cyclops a spot (the X-Men are his thing now imo) or just added to the group of others

Other Cover with Polaris Gwen Variant (and other Gwen mutant)

Gwenverse #1 variant by Chrissie_Zullo

https://twitter.com/RPHutch1975/stat...39130196557826

I was re-reading Cable #9 by Duggan and caught this line from Scott I missed the first time.

There's been some great & highly accurate answers already given, which *miraculously* enough, are pretty much in line with how Marvel "officially" sees & pitched her as recently as this time last year:

There's something else that I have that will be *very familiar* to many here, that have been around for some years. But a few other, fun things first, just because.

A delightfully enthusiastic endorsement for a House of M series, from the critically acclaimed writer of Iceman's award-winning Marvel Voices: Pride short story “Early Thaw", featuring that much buzzed about Magneto retcon.

X-Men Monday #122 – Anthony Oliveira Talks Wiccan and Hulkling, the House of M and More

He's extremely intelligent & talented AND is a lifelong X-fan, from the 90's forward, just like a lot of us. He'd be a good addition and we'd be lucky to have him, I feel very strongly about this. He was my other pick alongside Gillen, to join the X-office, so I'm still holding out hope.
    That summary for Lorna and the HoM only really held under Hickman’s pen.

I am more forgiving of Wanda and Lorna's interaction. I feel her presentation of her at the start of the Trial as Wanda's great defender was too favorable. But, due to the Axis retcon I understand them for now being emotionally tied in a way that is perhaps further than their history should allow. I just wish there was more build to that point.

Anthony Oliveira's comments are the direction I think they should take. They can fight and disagree at times, but the political tie is needed to make them feel like they are bound by something. They should feel more like a team then an ordinary family who grew up together though a little of both should be there.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-06-2022 at 04:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    ... the wormhole issue later led into his X-Men the End tale.

Then they get killed and come back as sentient energy.

That was the best he managed to write Lorna over the years. I would call it fair not good. One thing that story got that the 616 so far hasn’t is that Lorna and Mags should be able to communicate over vast distances with their powers.
    ... JMC, those pages from The End are just full of awesomeness, and so damn touching. Claremont gives us there, an absolutely perfect example of how the dynamic between Lorna & Bobby should work, and as a result the amazing chemistry it has. EVERYTHING about those scenes, with Scott, Mags, even hippy Hank, the man *knows* these characters, you can't argue that. I got more things to say about it all, and some corresponding pages to add, but I'm too tired right now. Still, I wanted to say THANK YOU, because I LOVED IT & it lifted my spirits!! In a way, I feel it proves me right about how well they bounce off each other, plus they were there with... *sigh* Cyclops... he's so dreamy, I'm swooning. I got Scott Summers fever, and I got it really, REALLY bad!
    "... AND WHAT'S A DECADE BETWEEN BUDS?"

"TEN YEARS?"

"SHE SHOOTS--SHE SCORES..."

That part of their exchange especially, is an excellent excerpt, exhibiting exactly how I see their rapport being handled now. A casual but charming affection & affinity, not unlike what you might find between a couple of (competitive) siblings, say. And how she seems so happy he's there, in that last page left quoted, confirms the same genuineness I've sensed before...

when their mutual care & concern has been shown. These moments are favorites, too, for demonstrating & proving that deep(er) connection exists. There's warmth there, and it not only feels real, but... natural.

BANNED

Oh, and I forgot... if remembering correctly, continuing to live on as noncorporeal energy beings even after shedding the mortal coil, was originally associated with being an Omega.

BANNED

UncannyLZ's Great Captain idea is a damn good one. It fits and is interesting, with all kinds of potential possibilities that could be played out. Expanding on it as JMC suggested, though, to include other aspects beyond security and defense (?)...

I thought of her & Bobby (+others, eventually?) acting of their own accord and asserting themselves, by deciding to announce that they are now to be officially recognized as:
    Krakoa's (self-proclaimed) leading DIGNITARIES!!
    Not just for what they can do, but as much or even more really... for *who* they are.

This wouldn't be a request either, it would be a throwing down of the gauntlet. To the QC, X-Force, and in essence, all of mutantdom, basically. They'd declare their goal is to become more involved, and oversee how everything's done & run, as time goes on. They'd function as QC, too, but not the Quiet Council...
    Quality Control, to ensure the future will be, the best it can be.
    And make no mistake, they would employ some of the sharpest elbows seen yet. They'd be done with sitting on the sidelines, and settling for "good enough" or worse, dealing with the unending fallout of poor decision making & self-serving, personal agendas.

Also, DC Artist Accused of Tracing Marvel X-Men Art For New Wonder Woman Book
    An artist on DC's upcoming Trial of the Amazons event, Joëlle Jones, is being accused of plagiarizing the art of iconic X-Men artist Pepe Larraz.

ruh-roh?!

BANNED

I mean, when it comes to connXions (that are still in play, maybe even more than ever?)...

Needless to say, but... it's always good to have friends in high places:

For networking? Danger, DougLock, DANGER!!
    just sayin'.

BANNED

Just because...

Gentlemen of Leisure's X-amining X-Factor #94
    "Evening Where: The Longest Day Part II"
    September 1993...

Lorna and a distracted Alex are on a dinner date, but their presence offends a nearby diner. ... at the restaurant, Lorna confronts the bigoted customer, much to the pleasure of a figure watching from the shadows, leading to a brawl in the restaurant among the customers. ... At the Pentagon, Forge deals with the situation caused by Lorna, then returns to his briefing with Val. Across town, Lorna is released from jail, and gives a brief statement condemning bigotry and declaring that mutants are a part of the world, and everyone had better get used to it. She is watched once again from the shadows by Random, who laments having to kill her.

the 90's weren't all bad. Wish I could say times have changed, but alas...

the more things change, the more they stay the same... more than ever.

Just because...

Gentlemen of Leisure's X-amining X-Factor #94

the 90's weren't all bad. Wish I could say times have changed, but alas...

the more things change, the more they stay the same... more than ever.
    DeMatteis' run is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    DeMatteis' run is underrated
    A trade for his run is out in two months.

The 1980s outside of perhaps one comic issue in the whole decade was complete trash for Lorna. The 1990s were an improvement, but only slightly. The 90s had at most three issues I would recommend reading for the whole decade if someone gave me tasked me with picking out fifty strong Lorna issues and DeMatteis wrote two of them.

What DeMatteis did get right was that he noticed classic 60s Lorna 'Queen of Mutants' was very different character. He adapted a little of that into his character including the 60s eye for an eye philosophy from Lorna and restored her willingness to use deadly force.

He didn't manage to tread the needle to restore Lorna to being a true divided between worlds character, but he came the closest of any writer in that decade.

By Ken Lashley

Lorna's early 2000s writers took the next big step in moving her closer to her potential though she didn't reach it and the writers after dropped the ball.

I would say Lorna sticking with her 90s team is not a good proposition for the character in the new animated series. A comic line can juggle several protagonist teams like X-Men and X-Factor. For an animated series its vastly harder and even with TAS at the high point of X-Factor's popularity and with alot of episodes of TAS to blow over many years the X-Factor team only managed one major guest appearance in one episode and a minor one in one or two others. There are many roles she could end in though if she appears.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-09-2022 at 08:07 PM.