Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    What’s everyone thinking about Zsen’s assessment of Nightcrawler: that he has a savior complex and feels empty inside.
    Well, some theorized a long time ago he's just an amalgam of Bamfs without a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Well, some theorized a long time ago he's just an amalgam of Bamfs without a soul.
    Since he returned from marvel heaven? I’d be very impressed if they made a callback to that, so far it’s been ignored. But Kurt shouldn’t be able to die without a soul.
    Last edited by Proxy; 08-03-2022 at 12:33 PM.

What’s everyone thinking about Zsen’s assessment of Nightcrawler: that he has a savior complex and feels empty inside.
    It's the most interesting take on Kurt since his last solo. It does remind me of how he used to put on a jovial front to hide his insecurities. But it doesn't quite feel authentic to that version of the character. Kurt's desire for approval was tied into his showmanship, so there was a link between the man and the mask. This Kurt is different; he smiles but he doesn't feel any joy.

And it once again all seems to tie back into whatever his current conception of "faith" is. It feels like, over the last 20 years, Kurt was always at his most "empty" when he was talking about faith. The more he talks about believing in things, the more of a buzzkill he is. Even when Kurt was fighting pirates in heaven he didn't talk so much about faith and belief (and, notably, he was having a blast).

I just hope that they're going somewhere with this empty Kurt. Because until they do, he's not the heart of the X-Men, he's just a nag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobinator View Post
    It's the most interesting take on Kurt since his last solo. It does remind me of how he used to put on a jovial front to hide his insecurities. But it doesn't quite feel authentic to that version of the character. Kurt's desire for approval was tied into his showmanship, so there was a link between the man and the mask. This Kurt is different; he smiles but he doesn't feel any joy.

And it once again all seems to tie back into whatever his current conception of "faith" is. It feels like, over the last 20 years, Kurt was always at his most "empty" when he was talking about faith. The more he talks about believing in things, the more of a buzzkill he is. Even when Kurt was fighting pirates in heaven he didn't talk so much about faith and belief (and, notably, he was having a blast).

I just hope that they're going somewhere with this empty Kurt. Because until they do, he's not the heart of the X-Men, he's just a nag.
    While I personally wouldn’t call him a nag, I do think that when a writer/storyline focuses solely on his faith, the rest of his personality seems to disappear.
    I’m not totally sold on the savior complex take either. I agree that Kurt has hid his insecurities through his showmanship in the past, but I’m not sure what Zsen’s implying here.

Since he returned from marvel heaven? I’d be very impressed if they made a callback to that, so far it’s been ignored. But Kurt shouldn’t be able to die without a soul.
    Oh i really doubt they're going for that. That's better ignored in my opinion.

But I can understand why a christian character would be really lost after his own ressurection. And I don't remember if it was explored after he came back from paradise (I don't remember much of that era).

Nightcrawler’s ranked 4th most courageous X-man: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-greatest-courage-ranked/

Nice little synopsis:

‘Nightcrawler's experiences with the X-Men made him a respected hero. The teleporting mutant was an amazing fighter, but how he lived his life proved his true courage. Nightcrawler's mutation affected his appearance, giving him a demonic look. People treated him like a monster, but he never let it affect him.

To this day, Nightcrawler's a happy-go-lucky swashbuckling hero. He has the courage to be who he is, no matter how he looks. He loves his friends and will do anything to protect mutants, even sacrificing his life during Bastion's attack on Utopia. Nightcrawler isn't the most powerful mutant, but he's as brave as they come.’

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Nightcrawler’s ranked 4th most courageous X-man: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-greatest-courage-ranked/

Nice little synopsis:

‘Nightcrawler's experiences with the X-Men made him a respected hero. The teleporting mutant was an amazing fighter, but how he lived his life proved his true courage. Nightcrawler's mutation affected his appearance, giving him a demonic look. People treated him like a monster, but he never let it affect him.

To this day, Nightcrawler's a happy-go-lucky swashbuckling hero. He has the courage to be who he is, no matter how he looks. He loves his friends and will do anything to protect mutants, even sacrificing his life during Bastion's attack on Utopia. Nightcrawler isn't the most powerful mutant, but he's as brave as they come.’
    I’ve often stressed this in my fanfic; Kurt throws himself into the fray without offensive powers* and without super-strength or healing.

*his teleportation could be an offensive power, but we all know it isn’t, because he wouldn’t. And I often have ambiguous feelings about the swords, I love pirate vibe as much as the next fan, but for the first thirty plus years, he went out there to be cheerful and supportive and fabulous unarmed. Which, of course, is why the X-Men are a team and look out for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I’ve often stressed this in my fanfic; Kurt throws himself into the fray without offensive powers* and without super-strength or healing.

*his teleportation could be an offensive power, but we all know it isn’t, because he wouldn’t. And I often have ambiguous feelings about the swords, I love pirate vibe as much as the next fan, but for the first thirty plus years, he went out there to be cheerful and supportive and fabulous unarmed. Which, of course, is why the X-Men are a team and look out for each other.
    I’m ambiguous about the swords too. I love the swashbuckling part of him, but I don’t think he needs a sword in his hand at all times. I’m much more impressed at how he handles himself in fights unarmed and acrobatic, all the while fighting defensively.

I’m ambiguous about the swords too. I love the swashbuckling part of him, but I don’t think he needs a sword in his hand at all times. I’m much more impressed at how he handles himself in fights unarmed and acrobatic, all the while fighting defensively.
    Exactly, and, like I said, teamwork, you want something slixed and diced, Logan or Laura, want something demolished, Piotr or Rogue etc.
    Kurt is interesting when he uses his powers smartly.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

One of my favorite issues where Kurt uses his abilities "smartly." His "acrobatic" style... :-D

Kurt vs. a taken over Sage.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    One of my favorite issues where Kurt uses his abilities "smartly." His "acrobatic" style... :-D

Kurt vs. a taken over Sage.
    Trust AD to get it right! He understands Kurt and how to use him.
    The more recent Giant Sized Nightcrawler was a disappointment, the art wasn’t.

7477DE38-CC1E-4737-837F-194EB8EC2553.jpg

LEGION OF X #7
    SI SPURRIER (W) • NETHO DIAZ (A)
    Cover by BEN HARVEY
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    MONSTROUS TERROR HITS MUTANTKIND!
    Something monstrous is afoot! Nightcrawler has developed some very uncanny physical features – and he's not the only one. Meanwhile, Cypher and Warlock have made a startling discovery about the seemingly innocuous blooms floating out of the Astral Plane. Will the Legionnaires be able to untangle this web of threats before it envelops mutantkind?

All I can say is: that better not be permanent.

All I can say is : not enought Jeantacles for such a Claremontian theme book.

Well this all we get of Nightcrawler in damage control.

He still looks cool though, even when delivering the mail
    Last edited by Proxy; 08-24-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Mighty Member

Does Nightcrawler have any great fight scene in his comics history. On the top of my head, I am thinking of 3 from Excalibur:

1: Nightcrawler vs Captain Britain in Excalibur. This is the fight where Kurt get's his leg broke.
    2: a fun one with Nightcrawler vs the prison break inmates in Excalibur #3. This one just fun with Kurt and the sweet science quote.
    3: Kurt vs the horde of creatures in Excalibur when the man who is accessing his abilities notes that Kurt's skill is higher than previously listed. Can't remember the issue number.

Does Kurt have any epic fight scenes in comics?