Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Check out the 90s "X-Treme" variant cover for Shang-Chi. Damn, I'm liking this look. The jacket, the headbands, the Gambit head cowl, this is something I could get behind.
    If you think that's cool you should see the 2010s cover where they show him sitting in a restaurant eating and texting.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Check out the 90s "X-Treme" variant cover for Shang-Chi:

Damn, I'm liking this look. The jacket, the headbands, the Gambit head cowl, this is something I could get behind.
    To the Xtreme....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    If you think that's cool you should see the 2010s cover where they show him sitting in a restaurant eating and texting.
    Oh nice. Could link that variant cover here? I'm trying to find it but can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To the Xtreme....
    Indeed bro .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Hi all. Wanted to share thoughts on Shang-Chi and The Ten Rings #2. Wow, this was a REALLY great issue. For those who interested in Shang-Chi's prior adventures, this issue definitely channeled those. Loved the appearances of Leiko, Clive, Velcro, and some others . There were even some great design choices here. That Paul Gulacy/psychedelic 70s inspired page was pretty cool.

What got me the most was Shang-Chi's relationship with Leiko. I smiled seeing them together again.

Of course, Lang flips the script and subverts everything we know at the end. Games of death and deceit indeed.

I'm being a little coy here, but I'd love to read what others thought.
    "I am a man of peace."

We've talked about this before, but Simu Liu confirms that he had some type of training before heading into his Shang-Chi audition. He wanted to be known more as an actor than as a martial artist, just to get away from stereotypes. I say that was a very good call:

I have seen the movie, it was correct, but it was clearly my less favorite phase 4 project (for the moment), imo this movie needed to be more like the comics; more spy/kungfu with futurist elements and less mythology, to see this video make me wonder if Marvel have been influenced by Simu to make things less "martial", I don't blame him, Brandon Lee has the same fear during his career and have also tried to avoid that, that the best way to be typecasted in the movies industry (not onely in Hollywood), specially for an asian actor. it's a rare combinaison (good actor with good martial arts abilities); so when they have someone like Simu, they try to milk that without too much regard about the actor personal ambition.

For example if Marvel would have pushed too much about his physical prowess during the promo of Shang Chi, maybe he wouldn't have been casted for "Barbie", and that could have complicated Marvel job too about Shang Chi, Cretton is the director of the futur Avengers movie, I'm pretty sure that Shang would have an important role with his rings, if he was just a martial artist like the comics (something I would have liked), that limit his role because his style, his attitude, everything around him were very kungfu, it was not something very open to others Marvel heroes.

Exclamation Master of Kung Fu deleted!

Master of Kung Fu is gone from Marvel.com! You can no longer read Shang-Chi's origin on Unlimited!
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...m-its-website/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Master of Kung Fu is gone from Marvel.com! You can no longer read Shang-Chi's origin on Unlimited!
    Well, that's...kind of bad.

Like, I get it, it's dated and stereotypical...but it's kind of a foundational piece of comic book history and a big chunk of Shang's history.

Over on BleedingCool, Rich Johnson is alleging that Marvel recently decided not to renew the license to the Sax Rohmer characters.. hence anything with fu manchu, etc., whichever is the case, oh well...

Really? Just tested this out now. I've bought nearly all of the issues up to #100. Downloaded random ones and they work fine on Comixology. Did the same thing with the Master of Kung Fu TPB Vol. 1. That's fine as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

Yes, on Comixology. This is about Marvel.com. Usually, if you buy a comic on Comixology, it's yours for keeps. Like, you can't buy Archie Sonic any more, but if you did at the time you should still be able to access it. That isn't the case with Marvel Unlimited.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I just bought the three Master of Kung-Fu Omnibuses to make sure I don't lose anything.

Yes, on Comixology. This is about Marvel.com. Usually, if you buy a comic on Comixology, it's yours for keeps. Like, you can't buy Archie Sonic any more, but if you did at the time you should still be able to access it. That isn't the case with Marvel Unlimited.
    Got it. Thanks.
    "I am a man of peace."

The "1990s look Shang Chi" reminds me that he was gone for most of that decade, only having sporadic appearances. I remember that guest stint in X-Men where he was drawn with a large tattoo, and bone-clawed Wolverine was fighting him. I also remember the stint in the Heroes for Hire series that John Ostrander wrote. Too bad that the Milestone reboot pitch didn't take, as provocative as it was.

Milestone? Isn't that DC, not Marvel?

Milestone? Isn't that DC, not Marvel?
    At the time, Milestone's "DC Exclusive" contract was running out by the mid-late 90s, and so there was a pitch to develop Shang Chi and other characters for a self-contained line of books published by Marvel, pre-dating the Marvel Knights imprint--

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-almost...lestone-media/