Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    To digress a bit, anyone listened to the OST to the Film?
    Different vibe, but almost as good as BP's.
    Haven't heard the whole OST. However, I'm a big fan of Swae Lee's "In The Dark":

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by nadler View Post
    What comic issue is the Deodato artwork here from?
    Unsure. On the previous thread, the origins of this pic were given. However, still can't recall.
    "I am a man of peace."

Preview for next week's upcoming Shang-Chi #8:

"I am a man of peace."

Hi all. Just wanted to know your thoughts on this week's Shang-Chi #8. Ultimately I was satisfied with the issue. We see the family dynamics at play here among Shang-Chi, Zheng Zu, Jiangli, and Chieftain Xi. The scene with all of them in the lab had tons of drama. Felt like I was watching a Chinese soap opera. There was mistake after mistake and Shang-Chi got caught in the middle. Reading how Zheng Zu's ambitions got in the way of his family was tragic. Ultimately we see more of the underlying theme that has been brewing since Yang took over the title, that of Zheng Zu's follies and the consequences of. It's up to Shang-Chi to resolve all of these messes.

Other parts were good, but seemed to be resolved fairly quickly. Zhilan was one of them. However, it all made sense.

So far this was another great issue. It was Dike Ruan's last one (I think we'll see more of him on a bigger Marvel title or perhaps event series in the future). Looking forward to Marcus To.

Also looking forward to the next issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

Great article where Simu Liu talks about exaggerating his martial arts skills as well as acknowledging his co-stars Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh.

https://people.com/movies/simu-liu-l...-the-10-rings/
    "I am a man of peace."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Drawing a complete blank, but was it ever discussed why Shang Chi was given the Collective Man’s powers? Also, I wonder if we’ll ever see the Collective Man, and any of the other Chinese marvel characters.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Preview for next week's upcoming Shang-Chi #8:

I really have to catch up on this. Made sure i got issues 7 and 8 but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Drawing a complete blank, but was it ever discussed why Shang Chi was given the Collective Man’s powers? Also, I wonder if we’ll ever see the Collective Man, and any of the other Chinese marvel characters.
    Collective Man? Are you talking about his ability to replicate?

If so it was due to the fact that Shang had visited an "origin site" that was made on Earth by an Ex Nhihilo during Hickman's Avengers run. I believe it was an issue of Avengers World where we learned how Shang-Chi was able to communicate with the lifeform at the origin site. It was pretty cool actually, due to the fact that he used mindfulness and meditation techniques plus fought a representation of himself.

This CBR article explains this:
    https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-avenge...pym-particles/
    "I am a man of peace."

Marvel is going through with it: Shang-Chi will be getting a set (not THE set) of the Ten Rings. Check out this image and description:

Marvel's Shang-Chi ongoing title is embracing the character's revised MCU mythology and bringing aspects of his movie origins into comic books, and this May, this trend goes even further as Shang-Chi #12 will introduce a new version of the Ten Rings based closely on their depiction in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

In Shang-Chi #12, writer Gene Luen Yang and artist Marcus To will bring in a new version of the Ten Rings with ties to Shang-Chi's grandfather and the mystical city of Ta Lo, which was introduced in the Shang-Chi film before making its way to comics in the most recent volume of Shang-Chi's ongoing title.

Although the exact nature of the new Ten Rings remains unknown, Marvel's announcement states that by embracing their power, Shang-Chi will give himself over to his "dark side," and therefore face rising tensions with his allies the Avengers - with whom he's already had some recent rough patches thanks to the machinations of his family of martial arts masters and criminal masterminds.
    I hoped that Shang would be getting The Mandarin's rings. Having all of those powers would have been pretty cool. Still, if the rings are anything like those from the movie, Shang would still be formidable. Seeing him turn to the dark side is an interesting concept. I've always wondered what would happen if someone as centered and calm as Shang would become, well I wouldn't say evil, but rather selfish. Furthermore, it echoes what we've seen with his father. Zheng Zu started with noble intentions but anger and greed got to him.

So after all of these years, has Shang fallen under his father's shadow? Hope to see that story play out.
    "I am a man of peace."

The rings have been the elephant in the room since the release of the movie, so I'm not surprised to see them making their way to the comics. I assume these'll be completely disconnected from the Mandarin's, of course.

Hopefully Yang is able to pull it off in a fairly organic way.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Collective Man? Are you talking about his ability to replicate?

If so it was due to the fact that Shang had visited an "origin site" that was made on Earth by an Ex Nhihilo during Hickman's Avengers run. I believe it was an issue of Avengers World where we learned how Shang-Chi was able to communicate with the lifeform at the origin site. It was pretty cool actually, due to the fact that he used mindfulness and meditation techniques plus fought a representation of himself.

This CBR article explains this:
    https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-avenge...pym-particles/
    That’s the one! Thanks so much!
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Marvel is going through with it: Shang-Chi will be getting a set (not THE set) of the Ten Rings. Check out this image and description:

I hoped that Shang would be getting The Mandarin's rings. Having all of those powers would have been pretty cool. Still, if the rings are anything like those from the movie, Shang would still be formidable. Seeing him turn to the dark side is an interesting concept. I've always wondered what would happen if someone as centered and calm as Shang would become, well I wouldn't say evil, but rather selfish. Furthermore, it echoes what we've seen with his father. Zheng Zu started with noble intentions but anger and greed got to him.

So after all of these years, has Shang fallen under his father's shadow? Hope to see that story play out.
    Eh...blatant MCU synergy that I'm not sure is even necessary, but what can you do.

The moment the MCU changed his powers in such a major way, it was only a matter of time until the comics did it. I'd venture to guess the rings are gonna be part of his powerset going forward in pretty much any other adaptation like video games or cartoons now.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The rings have been the elephant in the room since the release of the movie, so I'm not surprised to see them making their way to the comics. I assume these'll be completely disconnected from the Mandarin's, of course.

Hopefully Yang is able to pull it off in a fairly organic way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The moment the MCU changed his powers in such a major way, it was only a matter of time until the comics did it. I'd venture to guess the rings are gonna be part of his powerset going forward in pretty much any other adaptation like video games or cartoons now.
    It would be cool if the rings were a part of the powerset. Kung Fu is (and will always be) great. However, if he's set to be a leader, someone who can stand in the same room as Dr. Doom, Namor, and Black Panther, he needs a boost.

At the same time, I'm interested in how these rings will be introduced. Indeed, as has been mentioned, they should be shown in an organic way. For now, I'm not seeing it. Yes, Shang has been under attack, but he's hardly at a disadvantage. He successfully fended off against his grandfather. Currently, he doesn't seem to need any rings. Thus, Yang has a couple of issues to prove otherwise.
    "I am a man of peace."

As a fan of HBO Max's Warrior, I really love the fights there. It's Kung Fu action, but done brutally. Check out this fight between the main protagonist Ah Sahm and his antagonist Leary:

Bloody and brutal, right? This is what I'd like to see from Shang-Chi. We've seen Shang calm, collected, and centered. What happens when he's intense? Not angry, mind you. Shang knows that anger is deceptive and makes a fighter sloppy. Rather, what happens when he's intense? Bloody, beaten, and pushed to the the limit, what does Shang do then?

That is what I want to see from Shang-Chi.
    "I am a man of peace."