Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

One more day! One more day!

Extraordinary Member

First reaction. It's quite good. There's one continuity error regarding Illyana's childhood in Limbo that stands out, but that's not even part of the main story. I won't say what it is yet since it could be considered a spoiler. In the end it's not a big deal. While it's pretty much all setup, there's still a lot of information and story that it covers. It takes the time to establish how strong and badass Illyana is so that when things go to hell we understand how high the stakes are. Rod Reis is on point. Illyana's reason for wanting to pass on Limbo to someone else looks to me like the character flaw she has to overcome in this 'hero's journey.'

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    First reaction. It's quite good. There's one continuity error regarding Illyana's childhood in Limbo that stands out, but that's not even part of the main story. I won't say what it is yet since it could be considered a spoiler. In the end it's not a big deal. While it's pretty much all setup, there's still a lot of information and story that it covers. It takes the time to establish how strong and badass Illyana is so that when things go to hell we understand how high the stakes are. Rod Reis is on point. Illyana's reason for wanting to pass on Limbo to someone else looks to me like the character flaw she has to overcome in this 'hero's journey.'
    Intriguing. Thanks for your spoiler-free insights, sunofdarkchild! Really looking forward to this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Intriguing. Thanks for your spoiler-free insights, sunofdarkchild! Really looking forward to this.
    I've got a review thread in the works that will go into very specific detail about the whole issue.

perfect spoiler free light review. I concur.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I've got a review thread in the works that will go into very specific detail about the whole issue.
    Looking very much forward to your "very specific detail". Thanks a bunch. I'm stuck waiting until 3pm when I get off work to hit my LCS. Always appreciate your observations on all things Yana.

Looking very much forward to your "very specific detail". Thanks a bunch. I'm stuck waiting until 3pm when I get off work to hit my LCS. Always appreciate your observations on all things Yana.
    I would advise reading at least the last issue though because this picks up where it left off and i found myself sort of trying to remember what was going on and readjusting to the storyline but it was good.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

And another sort-of review, also very positive, but a bit more spoilery.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/05/16/...orth-the-wait/
    Could the villain be someone who appeared in this issue in Illyana’s past?

Extraordinary Member

It's up. Fair warning, it had too many characters for 1 post so I had to split it into 2 posts. It spoils pretty much everything.

Extraordinary Member

In today's Immortal X-Men, spoilers:
    Nightcrawler suggests adding Illyana to the council because they realize Selene was right about them being vulnerable to magic and Colossus shoots the idea down.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    I'm wondering how much of that is him and how much might just be due to Mikhail/the Chronicler's manipulations of him. If anybody would be suspicious of various votes Piotr makes on the Council or agendas he raises because they're what Mikhail is puppeteering him to do, it'd be their sister.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm wondering how much of that is him and how much might just be due to Mikhail/the Chronicler's manipulations of him. If anybody would be suspicious of various votes Piotr makes on the Council or agendas he raises because they're what Mikhail is puppeteering him to do, it'd be their sister.
    end of spoilers
    I just thought it was a continuation. I could be wrong but i remember Illyana practically torturing Peter around the time gillien was writing. Maybe during phoenix 5 or a little before. I can't rmemeber exactly when but it was around that time.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I was wondering the same thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just thought it was a continuation. I could be wrong but i remember Illyana practically torturing Peter around the time gillien was writing. Maybe during phoenix 5 or a little before. I can't rmemeber exactly when but it was around that time.
    She manipulated him into taking on the power of the Juggernaut so he'd finally understand a little of what she lives with. He was rightly furious for a while but they made up years and years ago and he went back to obsessing over her well-being like he did before. Gillen is far too professional to not take the 10 years they've had since his run ended into account and just write them like it was 2012 all over again, and he is definitely doing things with the Colossus mind-control storyarc. Really it could go both ways as to whetherit's Piotr or Mikhail speaking here, but either way it's not because Piotr is holding a grudge.

Incredible Member

There's one continuity error regarding Illyana's childhood in Limbo that stands out, but that's not even part of the main story. I won't say what it is yet since it could be considered a spoiler. In the end it's not a big deal.
    spoilers:
    If you're talking about the post-corruption Cat's speaking to young Illyana, I don't consider it a small issue, but rather a separate timestream.

Warped Cat being mute but for a single word spoken once, "Illyyaaannaa", followed by Illyana giving into temptation, using the power of the Elder Gods to chase her away with a mystic blast, words she had never learned...

Breaking Cat's neck wasn't the true instant of Magik's downfall, it was that moment when she gave into fear, using the power of the Elder Gods handed to her for the first time, the keys to a dark door of power offered for a price, instead of staying present in love, taking the personal risk to connect to another.

On the other hand, I don't see that it's impossible for this to work out, depending on the writing, especially if Illyana 1.0 is the one in shadows at the beginning, running a long game in the name of love and autonomy.

The hint it might be going in an interesting direction: I liked how Madeline had that line regarding how 'being spoken of as a thing reflecting poorly on the speaker, not on herself'.

There was a bit of sophistication there, focusing a depth of self-definition in the present, not by the word of others or by events of the past that I appreciated.
    end of spoilers