Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Hollywood being Hollywood, they could easily cast a late 20's, early 30's ATJ to play teenage/early 20's Illyana. They would have to cast her in the very first X-movie though, which is more possible than people think- she fills a niche no one else can, plus her personality would be different enough from the rest of the presumed cast (Cyclops, Storm, Beast, and if she's there, probably Colossus, and maybe Ms. Marvel) that she would stand out. Plus, she has spin-off potential for a movie or Disney + show. Although is more likely they would simply get a new actor.

That said, RDJ, Ruffalo, etc, being older doesn't matter, because we're talking about very different characters, and I also don't get the feeling that at the beginning they expected the MCU to run for as long as it will. Plus, neither Iron Man nor Hulk are that demanding physically.

Extraordinary Member

Actors in their mid-20s get criticized a lot for playing teenagers. That was one of the complaints about Andrew Garfeild's Spider-Man, that he was too old. It was also a criticism of Tom Welling in the first 4 seasons of Smallville and Chris O'Donnel as Robin in the 90s Batman movies.

Being young is an important aspect of Illyana's character just like it is for Spider-Man. She was taken to Limbo as a small child, and her inexperience and youth plays a big role in why controlling her Darkchild form and dark magical power is so difficult for her. Deliberately making her older would be a pretty big change for her character and lessen the inherent tragedy of her character arc.

ATJ's time as Magik has passed. She played the role 5 years ago in a movie few saw and those that did hated, and played an extremely unfaithful version of the character. Disney has no reason to bring her back in that role and make people remember how horrible the New Mutants movie was when they could cast her in a hundred other roles in the MCU. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Illyana never appeared in the MCU at all if they say her backstory is too complicated like Josh Boone did and if they treat his movie as the first and last chance for all of its characters.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Illyana never appeared in the MCU at all if they say her backstory is too complicated.
    LOL, no. They made a whole movie about freakin' Eternals, for crying out loud. They had Mandarin, not once, but twice. They had Wanda and Agatha Harness, and both got their own show.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think she's aging herself out of the role. I dont expect to see Illyana anytime soon and if and when they get to her, Anna will likely be in her 30s
    That's not too old. Paul Rudd will be a few years shy of 60 when Secret Wars rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    That's not too old. Paul Rudd will be a few years shy of 60 when Secret Wars rolls around.
    Will he be playing a teenager?

Actors in their mid-20s get criticized a lot for playing teenagers. That was one of the complaints about Andrew Garfeild's Spider-Man, that he was too old. It was also a criticism of Tom Welling in the first 4 seasons of Smallville and Chris O'Donnel as Robin in the 90s Batman movies.

Being young is an important aspect of Illyana's character just like it is for Spider-Man. She was taken to Limbo as a small child, and her inexperience and youth plays a big role in why controlling her Darkchild form and dark magical power is so difficult for her. Deliberately making her older would be a pretty big change for her character and lessen the inherent tragedy of her character arc.

ATJ's time as Magik has passed. She played the role 5 years ago in a movie few saw and those that did hated, and played an extremely unfaithful version of the character. Disney has no reason to bring her back in that role and make people remember how horrible the New Mutants movie was when they could cast her in a hundred other roles in the MCU. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Illyana never appeared in the MCU at all if they say her backstory is too complicated like Josh Boone did and if they treat his movie as the first and last chance for all of its characters.
    Finally someone who gets it. Thank you!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Will he be playing a teenager?
    They could easily just have her not be a teenager. Hell they tried to pass off Wanda and Pietro as kids in Age of Ultron

They could easily just have her not be a teenager. Hell they tried to pass off Wanda and Pietro as kids in Age of Ultron
    The actors were cast when they were 23/24 which wasn’t too egregious

I think that sounds like...Laura Bailey?

Extraordinary Member

One of the designers of the Midnight Suns game has confirmed that the replacement of Belasco with Mephisto in her bio is deliberate and one of the differences between the game universe and the comic universe. I'm still not pleased about it since I'm a lot less open to big changes to her origin after the New Mutants movie effed it up so badly and I think it means changing Mephisto's character a lot to fit him into the Belasco role, but we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to play the game until it launches for the Switch since it's too expensive to get a computer that's powerful enough right now.

Incredible Member

One of the designers of the Midnight Suns game has confirmed that the replacement of Belasco with Mephisto in her bio is deliberate and one of the differences between the game universe and the comic universe. I'm still not pleased about it since I'm a lot less open to big changes to her origin after the New Mutants movie effed it up so badly and I think it means changing Mephisto's character a lot to fit him into the Belasco role, but we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to play the game until it launches for the Switch since it's too expensive to get a computer that's powerful enough right now.
    Hey, maybe Belphisto will play a staring role in Dark Web.....

Extraordinary Member

The game's not out for 3 months, but there's already cosplay of Midnight Suns' version of Illyana. https://twitter.com/FlorenciaSofen

FdMA-DGaUAECYen.jpg

FdMA_4qakAQ5i2e.jpg

The details are really awesome. Great work.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

a bikini Illyana makes a appearance in today's New Mutants issue 30.

BANNED

Yes, she might not be a teenager.

They had Morgan Le Fay be portrayed by Liz Hurley in Runaways.

Of course that series lasted only three seasons. I think there’s a lot more you can do with an adult Magik than introducing her as a teenager.

Runaways has all the issues of teenage heroes like what will they do when they grow up. The series ended with showing many of them going to college in the future and basically going their separate ways.

Wgich is probably why we never truly saw a teenage XMen team, and we probably won’t ever.

Also the teenage hero thing means you have to get rid of actor is just a few years. Look at Spider Man. Three Spider Men in a short time and soon Tom Holland will be too old to play Peter Parker. The last Spider Man movie has his friends going to college already.