Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Rod Reis has confirmed that the 'not acorn' little Illyana gave our Magik is what became her new armor.
    Oh wow that's super cool. Was this on twitter?

I rescind my compliment of the cover. I just realized Synch and Forge are missing.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-19-2022 at 04:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Oh wow that's super cool. Was this on twitter?
    Also that cover is pretty rad!
    Yeah. He was asked if that was the case and responded 'yes.'

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's an awful cover actually. Those figures look...not good.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Yeah. He was asked if that was the case and responded 'yes.'
    I have tickets but am too tired attend ECCC this year. I really wanted to see Chris Claremont and Rod Reis. I did meet and was able to have Bill Sienkiewicz sigh one of my posters. I think I’ll survive the disappointment.

My concerns with the new Magik are the existence the Darkchylde and if this is another step in making Illyana just another blond. Her trauma has been a part of what made her special… not that other women don’t have trauma, just look at Dazzler’s kidnapping by Mystique and you see what I have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandevil View Post
    I have tickets but am too tired attend ECCC this year. I really wanted to see Chris Claremont and Rod Reis. I did meet and was able to have Bill Sienkiewicz sigh one of my posters. I think I’ll survive the disappointment.

My concerns with the new Magik are the existence the Darkchylde and if this is another step in making Illyana just another blond. Her trauma has been a part of what made her special… not that other women don’t have trauma, just look at Dazzler’s kidnapping by Mystique and you see what I have in mind.
    In life There’s not just “trauma” but also overcoming it, I would argue this Illyana is still as cool as ever, she’s just evolving.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Later today I will be uploading the start of a new fanfic crossing over Magik with Sailor Moon. I mentioned the idea in last year's appreciation thread, but the magical girl transformation Illyana underwent this week got me to revisit it and finish the second chapter.

BANNED

I should have known better than to click on that link

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I love and appreciate that Vita was able to give her some emotional and mental closure from her traumatic past. It read and felt very real and authentic to her character.
    I wouldn't mind seeing how Duggan writes that slight tonal shift in XM but...I'm not going to hold my breath.
    I suspect that he really isn't even going to address the changes concering Limbo other than trying to still make Maddie out to be the bad guy in all of it.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-20-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I love and appreciate that Vita was able to give her some emotional and mental closure from her traumatic past. It read and felt very real and authentic to her character.
    I wouldn't mind seeing how Duggan writes that slight tonal shift in XM but...I'm not going to hold my breath.
    So, now that Illyana's teleportation is instantaneous (no more pit-stops into Limbo) is it safe to posit that HAD Illyana never been abducted and raised in Limbo, her mutant teleportation powers would have operated like that of Nightcrawler?
    Nightcrawler's passing through the Brimstone dimension is so brief, he's not conscious of any time passing through.
    Similarly Cyclops' concussive beams erupt from his eyes, which are interdimensional apertures to the Punch Dimension. Silly, yes, but also canon.
    Illyana's powers could be explained as manipulation of other-dimensional energies (the source being the stepping discs of Limbo) to move through space and time?

Someone online drew a parallel to Iceman's unresolved mental/emotional anguish impeding his development over the years, proposing that Illyana's relentless tether to Limbo -- the compulsory "stop" in Limbo between destinations -- was actually a trauma response. I actually really appreciate this parallel and until explicitly stated otherwise, accept it as correct.

I'm still SO excited for all these developments.

So, now that Illyana's teleportation is instantaneous (no more pit-stops into Limbo) is it safe to posit that HAD Illyana never been abducted and raised in Limbo, her mutant teleportation powers would have operated like that of Nightcrawler?
    Nightcrawler's passing through the Brimstone dimension is so brief, he's not conscious of any time passing through.
    Similarly Cyclops' concussive beams erupt from his eyes, which are interdimensional apertures to the Punch Dimension. Silly, yes, but also canon.
    Illyana's powers could be explained as manipulation of other-dimensional energies (the source being the stepping discs of Limbo) to move through space and time?

Someone online drew a parallel to Iceman's unresolved mental/emotional anguish impeding his development over the years, proposing that Illyana's relentless tether to Limbo -- the compulsory "stop" in Limbo between destinations -- was actually a trauma response. I actually really appreciate this parallel and until explicitly stated otherwise, accept it as correct.

She is still opening disc shaped portals portals between different point of space and time, she can keep the discs active as long as required so I’d say her powers are different from kurt, she also can open her portals upon other targets so that she does not need to teleport along them, she is much more versatile in range and scope. Her ability and potential to displace matter and energy between dimensions, alternate realities, timelines or just corners of the same universe lends itself to many creative applications we never even considered.
    Last edited by Daedra; 08-22-2022 at 05:29 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

without the face paint, this would make such a perfect Magik look. I love the details and materiality of it. Wished superhero costume would go into this direction. Most X-Men look quite dated these days....

Extraordinary Member

Going by the idea that Illyana's real mutant power is time manipulation like Doctor Strange once said, the stepping disks are merely the first thing she was able to manipulate with that power. As a distortion in space-time in Limbo where time is already very malleable they were easier to influence than normal space-time. And given the age and circumstances in which the power manifested she didn't think there was anything more to her power until Dr. Strange said there was. But there being that added dimension to her powers could explain a lot of the little inconsistencies like why teleporting greater distances mattered at all when every point is equidistant from Limbo to her sometimes displaying bullet-time reflexes out of nowhere.

They never did explain how her teleporting worked when she absorbed all of Limbo into herself. Some artists replaced her stepping disks with a cloud of demonic energy while others kept the stepping disks. She wasn't teleporting through Limbo when there was no Limbo to teleport through. Even when Limbo was restored she shouldn't have gone back to teleporting through Limbo if she'd already demonstrated the ability to teleport without the Limbo stopover.

The stopover has also been treated more like Nightcrawler's stopover over the years, so instantaneous that no one would even notice it happened unless an external force cut them off in the split-second they were in Limbo.