Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Magik reading spell books on covers... is not an indication of any long term affect. Cause has been reading spell books on covers, doing meditation and turning into her darkchylde form for years even if she's not done any of those things at all during the years they come through.

I don't know how you think that bit had any impact on these covers.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, what is happening on covers is almost always irrelevant beyond the character on it maybe being in the issue.

Anyway, Mike McKone variant for X-men 8:

Extraordinary Member

10 Times Magik Was Absolutely Terrifying

Marvel: 10 What If Comics Better Than The Main Universe

Illyana's position of sorcerer supreme of Limbo is key in Death of Dr. Strange #5, but she doesn't have a speaking role.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-26-2022 at 01:50 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Magik reading spell books on covers... is not an indication of any long term affect. Cause has been reading spell books on covers, doing meditation and turning into her darkchylde form for years even if she's not done any of those things at all during the years they come through.

I don't know how you think that bit had any impact on these covers.
    Wasn't she doing something similar on one of the covers of the 1983–1984 Magik miniseries?

Magik (Storm and Illyana Limited Series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magik_(comics)
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-26-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=Stormy;5899499]Yes, that's why I'm frustrated, it just goes to show that Marvel treats Illyana with a certain amount of disrespect, as she attracts a lot of popularity, because of her powers and unique personality.

It's okay if it's her personality to want to use the sword, even though the sword is hitkill in all magical and "non-magical" (not sure, I've seen the sword affect normal humans)[/QUOTE

Illyana had talked/provoked Xi'an into using it to kill one of David's personalities. Shows the kind of control Illyana has over it and who or what it should respond to.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-26-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    10 Times Magik Was Absolutely Terrifying

Marvel: 10 What If Comics Better Than The Main Universe

Illyana's position of sorcerer supreme of Limbo is key in Death of Dr. Strange #5, but she doesn't have a speaking role.
    Interesting fight between heroes and the 3 mothers. I didn't recognize some the heroes in the battle. Who was the girl in a grey suit and purple cape, the lady in black with a phoenix symbol and is that amped Thor?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherna View Post
    I really don't think they are doing Magik in X-men 97. Doesn't fit the extremely nineties vibe of that show. But yes, if they do end up using her in that or any other cartoon then I have to assume that she just shows up fully costumed and then do her backstory in flashbacks. A full Storm & Illyana-esque story is not going to happen (and I am honestly amazed that it happened in the comics personally since it was back when the only X-comics were Uncanny and one Wolverine mini iirc.)

Marvel Heroes game of the century never forget. Magik being voted in by the community was clearly proof that everyone loves her when given the chance ( )

Pretty crazy that Tara Strong voiced her both in that and the animated series 20 years earlier. And apparently she was credited in 4 episodes of the show according to IMDB which is far more than I would have thought so maybe she does have a chance to show up again.
    Except the original X-Men TAS adapted stories from the 70s and 80s, there is nothing to stop X-Men 97 from adapting elements of the 1984 Magik mini, Illyana Rasputina appeared in the 90s show, they could easily get Tara Strong back to voice her and the X-Men 97 series will have less censorship than X-Men TAS.

Extraordinary Member

I believe this is the first time Illyana has teamed up with other sorcerers specifically as the sorceress supreme of Limbo. Usually when she works with other sorcerers it's as just another magic user, with her status and station not factoring in. But at the same time, it also means that someone else could have done the same thing if they were the ruler of Limbo, which is why she doesn't have a word to say the entire issue. Most of the time when she saves the world it involves something only she could do, whether she's the ruler of Limbo or not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chisob View Post
    Interesting fight between heroes and the 3 mothers. I didn't recognize some the heroes in the battle. Who was the girl in a grey suit and purple cape, the lady in black with a phoenix symbol and is that amped Thor?
    The Phoenix lady is Echo, the current host of the Phoenix since it got moved from the X-Men to the Avengers. As for the lady with the purple cape, I have no idea.

Extraordinary Member

10 Marvel Characters Who Can Carry Their Own Comic

Magik is one of the most powerful mutants on Krakoa and has been built up a lot in the last decade. She's taken her long-deserved place at the top of the mutant heap, and the great thing about a book starring her is that it wouldn't just be a stereotypical mutant book. Magik's status as one of the Earth's greatest sorcerers means her book can go in many different directions.

It's bizarre that Magik has been as built up as she has been and yet does not have her own book. She's been put in the perfect position for it, and there's so much that can be done with the character in a solo setting. Magik is a star who needs a place to shine.

Spectacular Member

I agree that it is really weird that they haven't done anything solo with Magik. I'm obviously biased but I don't think I'm just saying that as a fan of her, Marvel has been pushing her hard ever since AvX/the Bachalo redesign but she barely even gets story arcs focused on her (the upcoming new mutants arc is admittedly yana focused though).

She's just used as the spooky, sexy sorceress with a cool sword that keeps showing up everywhere.
    Last edited by Aetherna; 01-28-2022 at 03:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Illyana is technically in X-Men Legends #11, but it still takes place post-Inferno, so she's not going to do anything except maybe be a macguffin to rescue.

x-men legends.jpg

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/01/28/ma...en-legends-11/
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-29-2022 at 12:41 PM.

Meh... Going to the cinema in uniform?

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. Noticed that too. And they have the nerve to chide Warlock for not being in human form. Doesn't bode well for the writing of the issue, but then, Simonsen's New Mutants was always poorly written.

Spectacular Member

I think that's just an artist oversight which wasn't caught by the editor, it happens sometimes. You can think whatever you want about Simonson but the dialogue is genuinely nonsensical when it involves them wearing those goofy costumes.

e; would admittedly mean a weird lack of communication since the artist and writer are married lol
    Last edited by Aetherna; 01-30-2022 at 01:11 PM.