Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

How Marvel Can Fix the Most Powerful X-Men Witch's Most Murderous Mistake

I dealt with this in my first 'Krakoan moment' fic. Only problem I see with the article is the title. It wasn't murder and it wasn't a mistake. Illyana did everything she possibly could to save Sapna and waited until the last moment to do what was necessary. 'Deadly failure' would be a better description than murderous mistake.'

Astonishing Member

Sapna's literally one of a handful of characters I've most impatiently been waiting for a writer to resurrect...specifically because not only was she a great character in her own right, with a lot of potential, her death wasn't that long ago and I think Illyana would absolutely prioritize getting the Five to bring her back and leaning on her pull as a Captain to expedite it. But uh yeah, clickbaity article is clickbaity. Sapna's storyline was designed by its writer to be a narrative tragedy (and IMO, deliberately crafted to call back/parallel Illyana's own past with Belasco). It had nothing to do with Illyana fucking things up, the specific narrative devices used to shape Sapna's ultimate end fate were things entirely outside of Yana's control or ability to predict or avoid.

Extraordinary Member

This is the solicitation for New Mutants by Vita Ayala vol. 4, which will collect the Illyana vs Maddie storyline, ore at least the fist part since we don't know how many issues the story will last.

"The Labors of Magik! Since the founding of the island nation of Krakoa, Illyana Rasputin has been focused on mutant affairs and world-building — but she hasn’t spent much time on her other-dimensional throne in Limbo. And someone has been eyeing the empty seat! Now, Magik must fight for her hellish kingdom — and her very life — in a classic hero’s journey featuring some of the most hated villains in New Mutants history! The biggest resurrection in Krakoan history is about to shatter both Limbo and its ruler — and you’re gonna love to see it!"

The most notable aspects of this are the part about it being a classic hero's journey and the inclusion of multiple villains from the New Mutants history. The former is further evidence of the more mythological/archetypal tone that the title 'The Labors of Magik' suggest. Every superhero's origin is a hero's journey, but it's not usually advertised as such to draw attention to it, and she already had her hero's journey in the original Magik miniseries. As a description it implies that her neglect of Limbo is a form of resisting the call to adventure. The part about 'some of the most hated villains' would seem to confirm my theory that Maddie is going to free and team up with N'Astirh and possibly more villains. I don't see S'ym betraying Illyana again, Shadow King is out after the previous arc. There aren't too many more villains who could be included. Selene is a possibility, but she's going to be jockeying for Magneto's Quiet Council seat at the same time, so she's unlikely. I could see Maddie and N'Astirh reviving the Demon Bear. Given the lack of options, the solicit referring to multiple New Mutants villains is probably them making the mistake that Maddie is a New Mutants villains when she never appeared in New Mutants except when N'Astirh briefly talked about her after Illyana was deaged, but it does confirm that there will be at least one more villain in addition to Maddie.

Source: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/new...ala/1140413758

Astonishing Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY8eKnFr...on_share_sheet

Arthur Adams drew Illyana in a bikini, supposely from the beginning of New Mutants Special Edition which is part of the Asgardian Wars, kinda revealing considering her age at the time but I don't know, what you think?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CY8eKnFr...on_share_sheet

Arthur Adams drew Illyana in a bikini, supposely from the beginning of New Mutants Special Edition which is part of the Asgardian Wars, kinda revealing considering her age at the time but I don't know, what you think?
    who the f*ck cares? there are tons of young teens wearing bikinis at the beach - and as I recall the entire team was in beach wear except maybe Rahne

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    who the f*ck cares? there are tons of young teens wearing bikinis at the beach - and as I recall the entire team was in beach wear except maybe Rahne
    Well sorry you didn't have to come off so aggressive, I don't mind bikinis, I like them, I even wish Marvel start doing Swimsuit issues again like it did in the 90s like Udon is doing with Street Fighter, its just this particular image show some underboob for a girl who's probably 15.

Extraordinary Member

The New Mutants had a strong tendency to appear in bikinis, their underwear, or nothing at all. Illyana's first appearance in New Mutants was in a bikini and she wore a bikini several more times before the Asgard story in New Mutants and Uncanny, to say nothing of what she wore in Magik #4. Rahne's first appearance was naked. Dani in the first 10 issues seemed to be actively looking for any excuse to take off her clothes and she and Amara were forced to wear bikinis when Selene tried to sacrifice them. Sam also appeared in just his boxers or completely naked several times.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The New Mutants had a strong tendency to appear in bikinis, their underwear, or nothing at all. Illyana's first appearance in New Mutants was in a bikini and she wore a bikini several more times before the Asgard story in New Mutants and Uncanny, to say nothing of what she wore in Magik #4. Rahne's first appearance was naked. Dani in the first 10 issues seemed to be actively looking for any excuse to take off her clothes and she and Amara were forced to wear bikinis when Selene tried to sacrifice them. Sam also appeared in just his boxers or completely naked several times.
    Now that you mention, yeah you are right, New Mutants sure did had what the anime community called fan service.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at the size of New Mutants by Vita Ayala Vol. 3 trade, I think The Labors of Magik storyline will be just 4 issues. It only covers issues 25-28, which is 4 issues. The only trade so far that has been 4 issues was the trade of the Hickman issues, which covered everything he wrote for the New Mutants. The Brisson trade was 8 issues, the first Ayala trade was 5 issues, and the second Ayala trade will be 6 issues, which cover the 11 issues it took to to get through the Shadow King arc. The only reason to have this trade be just 4 issues is if those 4 issues are a complete story like Hickman's 4 issues were. The arc being 4 issues as opposed to the double digits of the Shadow King arc is a good improvement.

Incredible Member

Well sorry you didn't have to come off so aggressive, I don't mind bikinis, I like them, I even wish Marvel start doing Swimsuit issues again like it did in the 90s like Udon is doing with Street Fighter, its just this particular image show some underboob for a girl who's probably 15.
    Like Meta jon said, you're making much ado about nothing. Dani and Amara wore much more reveling outfits in the early issues of New Mutants.

Incredible Member

Now that you mention, yeah you are right, New Mutants sure did had what the anime community called fan service.
    Don't forget when Sam was shown perving on Dani as she was dressing in front of him.....

Extraordinary Member

Women's History Month cover

Attachment 117596
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-20-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Women's History Month cover

Attachment 117596
    they are just doing a ton of Magik covers lately, it's great to see but as I'm trying to get all the ones I like it's kinda adding up quick lol

BANNED

We see Magik on the April covers as reading spellbooks and lighting candles. So that line about her over reliance on her soulsword does have longer term consequences.