Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

It's literally a sword designed from magic, to combat and destroy magic.

You gotta do more than just willy nilly undermine the concept of the ability just to make it not do what it does.

If you're gonna force Magik to use her magic... actually have it be a situation where her sword can't do what it does rather than just rewriting what it does cause it's easier that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    It's literally a sword designed from magic, to combat and destroy magic.

You gotta do more than just willy nilly undermine the concept of the ability just to make it not do what it does.

If you're gonna force Magik to use her magic... actually have it be a situation where her sword can't do what it does rather than just rewriting what it does cause it's easier that way.
    It was made by a teenage girl who could barely cast a spell. There are much more important magics and magical artifacts than the soulsword.

Basically, it brings up an important point. She can’t just automatically charge into a magical duel using her sword.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    It was made by a teenage girl who could barely cast a spell. There are much more important magics and magical artifacts than the soulsword.

Basically, it brings up an important point. She can’t just automatically charge into a magical duel using her sword.
    That's just blatantly false. When Magik created the Soulsword she'd already been completely well read on all the black magic that Belasco had provided her. On top of it being the merged with Magik's soul stones later to completely embody her entire soul (said stones being part of a ritual to unleash extra dimensional gods.)

You add on top the 30+ years of narrative that only further expands on the Soul Sword being a big deal and goig "made by a girl who could barely cast a spell" just sounds like you trying to post hoc justify the nonsense.

Spectacular Member

Isn't the Soul Sword one of the most powerful magical artifacts in Marvel? Mephisto hired Nightmare to steal it. So did Doom and tons of other magic users. Chthon also wanted it. Is there any other weapon with more magic cancelling feats than the Sou Sword? I'd argue no other Hell Lord has feats of turning a soul into weapon like the S.S. It also landed the killing blow on Archenemy, a being that was destroying the all the splinter realms including Dormammu's, Mephisto's, Nightmare's and Surtur's realms. It also cut through the magical wards of the sanctum sanctorum. All these powerful being want the sword, they can't recreate it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chisob View Post
    Isn't the Soul Sword one of the most powerful magical artifacts in Marvel? Mephisto hired Nightmare to steal it. So did Doom and tons of other magic users. Chthon also wanted it. Is there any other weapon with more magic cancelling feats than the Sou Sword? I'd argue no other Hell Lord has feats of turning a soul into weapon like the S.S. It also landed the killing blow on Archenemy, a being that was destroying the all the splinter realms including Dormammu's, Mephisto's, Nightmare's and Surtur's realms. It also cut through the magical wards of the sanctum sanctorum. All these powerful being want the sword, they can't recreate it.
    Yes. All of this is true.

Illyana was always am incredibly powerful sorceress. Already in the Magik mini Belasco told Ororo that "my Darkchild far outstrips you.'" The refrain was never that she didn't know spells, only that those spells wouldn't work on earth. In Limbo she was practically a god and all her spells worked to their fullest potential. Dr. Strange told Xavier that there was little he could teach Illyana about sorcery. And even on earth she still cast many spells. In the issue where she joined the New Mutants she casts an energy blast and creates mystic chains to bind S'ym, then used what she called a 'minor spell' to erase Stevie Hunter's memories of the fight. The next issue she uses a spell to send an astral form of herself to another state. In the fight with the Demon Bear at the hospital she uses a portion of her life force to create a magical shield around Dani's surgery room. Durimg the battle with Kulan Gath she cast a spell to cloak all of the good guys on Captain America's orders. All of this was on earth.

The thing with Illyana is that she is always holding back. Her Darkchild form is somewhere between super saiyan and god mode, but when she uses it she risks losing control. She would actively limit herself to ensure she didn't lose control. That's what she went to Dr. Strange for during the Bendis run, to learn to control that great power. Yes, she maybe learned a few new spells, but that wasn't the purpose or the primary benefit of her seeking Strange out. In Limbo things were always somewhat different for 2 reasons. One is that she was the ruler and sorceress supreme of the dimension. She was essentially a reality warper in Limbo. The other is that since Limbo was already corrupted over centuries by Belasco, there was far less danger if her spells went wrong and had a corrupting influence, so there was less reason to actively limit herself in Limbo. In Limbo, even without using her Darkchild form she was was above a master Asgardian sorceress like the Enchantress. Instead of saying that Illyana became more powerful after training with Doctor Strange, it would be more accurate to say that she could safety harness a greater percentage of the power she always had than she could before. She had the control to cast spells without them going awry, and so could fight to a greater extent of her full potential on earth than she dared do before.

When it comes to the soul sword, it is such a powerful weapon and artifact that many sorcerers couldn't believe Illyana was the one to create it. That's why Amanda told Kitty there was nothing of Illyana in the sword. No one says that anymore because Illyana has the respect of her fellow sorcerers now. The sword alone allowed Illyana to fight on even terms with Thor for a while back in the 80s. She had Thor, Captain America, and the Black Knight all giving ground to her at the same time, just from wielding the soul sword. The last 2 times Belasco fought the X-Men, only the soul sword allowed anyone to even put up a fight against him, the first time combined with Amanda pretending to be Illyana to throw Belasco off. In Quest for Magik both Illyana and Amanda say that the only hope of defeating Belasco is with the soul sword. All of the X-Men, New X-Men, and O.N.E. attacking Belasco at the same time do not matter in the slightest without Illyana's creation. And it indeed takes a smaller version of the soul sword, again created by Illyana, to win that fight. Just holding the sword also greatly amplifies a magic user's powers. That is the primary reason so many sorcerers have sought the weapon out. In recent years, we've seen that the sword has the power to kill Captain Marvel and the Silver Surfer. That is what the soul sword is.

Extraordinary Member

On a related note, does anyone know if the Strange Academy Twitter page is official? Because if it is then the 'Illyana was putting on an act as part of the lesson' theory is close to word of god at this point and we can put this whole discussion to rest. Someone posted that theory and the Strange Academy account liked it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know if the Strange Academy Twitter page is official? Because if it is then the 'Illyana was putting on an act as part of the lesson' theory is close to word of god at this point and we can put this whole discussion to rest. Someone posted that theory and the Strange Academy account liked it.
    It looks official but chances are that the intern running the account just likes whatever he sees posted about the comic and that it isn't some official canon judgement from Marvel.

But "Illyana is just pretending so that other characters can get their moment in the sun" is a long-standing Magik thread theory so we might as well run with that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherna View Post
    It looks official but chances are that the intern running the account just likes whatever he sees posted about the comic and that it isn't some official canon judgement from Marvel.

But "Illyana is just pretending so that other characters can get their moment in the sun" is a long-standing Magik thread theory so we might as well run with that.
    Most of the time I dismiss the theory because there are better answers and because Illyana doesn't need to solve every problem with a wave of her hand. For everything she can do, she's not Franklin Richards or the Beyonder. This time the theory that it's an act is the only way to not retroactively ruin every story Illyana has ever been in and turn everyone who ever thought the soul sword was worth a damn into an idiot. And this time it's not about making Wong look good, but about teaching a lesson to their students, and Wong would be fully in on the act instead of some grand deception to everyone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    That's just blatantly false. When Magik created the Soulsword she'd already been completely well read on all the black magic that Belasco had provided her. On top of it being the merged with Magik's soul stones later to completely embody her entire soul (said stones being part of a ritual to unleash extra dimensional gods.)

You add on top the 30+ years of narrative that only further expands on the Soul Sword being a big deal and goig "made by a girl who could barely cast a spell" just sounds like you trying to post hoc justify the nonsense.
    Belasco has never been anywhere near the most powerful sorcerer in Marvel. The soulsword is only good for battling lower level demons. Obviously, the soulsword didn’t cancel Wanda’s depowerment of even one mutant.

In the overall Marvel, it isn’t that powerful.

And during New Mutants the original run Illyana could barely cast a spell on Earth. She couldn’t beat Forge in Limbo. Thankfully, Dr. Strange took her under his wing and taught her. Now she needs to act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The soul sword is one of the most powerful mystical artifacts in the entire Marvel universe. While I'd like to see more sorcery and less simple sword-swinging from Illyana, in-canon the sword is more effective and faster than spell-casting, just like her mutant power is more effective than using the teleportation spell she taught Pixie. This scene is wrong and displays a fundamental misunderstanding of what the soul sword is and what it does. What Wong does is impossible. If it were possible Bealsco would have done it, Dr. Strange would have done it, and many other sorcerers would have done it long ago. If it were possible Dr. Doom, Margali Szafaldos, Belasco, and others would never have sought the soul sword for themselves and it would have been of no benefit to them. If it were possible all the talk about how the soul sword was the only thing which could kill Belasco in Quest for Magik would be a joke. It makes the soul sword unable to fulfill its primary function. It is like if Mjolnir suddenly became a paperweight that had no effect on the weather, The X-Men writers are going to rightly ignore that this ever happened. Any writer with any knowledge of Illyana and the soul sword from before this is going to ignore that it ever happened. That is why we are unanimous in saying this is an act and not real. It undermines the last 40 years of stories regarding both Illyana and the soul sword for a joke that isn't even that funny.
    Yes, that's why I'm frustrated, it just goes to show that Marvel treats Illyana with a certain amount of disrespect, as she attracts a lot of popularity, because of her powers and unique personality.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Illyana is shown as too reliant on her soulsword. If this is followed up on, it’s a good moment for the character.
    It's okay if it's her personality to want to use the sword, even though the sword is hitkill in all magical and "non-magical" (not sure, I've seen the sword affect normal humans)

Look, I came from RPGs, Games, and I would like to see more of Illyana using spells based on limbo, or even arcane ones. These days I talked to a person, who said he wanted to see Illyana being a student at Strange Academy, which I think is completely meaningless, Illyana has been out of this student phase for a long time, what is really lacking is for the screenwriters to be more creative in using her powers, look, I don't want the character to generate powerful spells or anything like that, but something more creative you know?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yes, that's why I'm frustrated, it just goes to show that Marvel treats Illyana with a certain amount of disrespect, as she attracts a lot of popularity, because of her powers and unique personality.

It's okay if it's her personality to want to use the sword, even though the sword is hitkill in all magical and "non-magical" (not sure, I've seen the sword affect normal humans)

Look, I came from RPGs, Games, and I would like to see more of Illyana using spells based on limbo, or even arcane ones. These days I talked to a person, who said he wanted to see Illyana being a student at Strange Academy, which I think is completely meaningless, Illyana has been out of this student phase for a long time, what is really lacking is for the screenwriters to be more creative in using her powers, look, I don't want the character to generate powerful spells or anything like that, but something more creative you know?
    Originally the soul sword only affected magical things. That began to change during the lead-up to Inferno when it started cutting and affecting normal nonmagical rock on earth. It can be inferred that It not affecting non-magical things or people before that was another result of Illyana consciously holding back. It is impossible to overstate how afraid she was of her own power in the 80s. The sword starting to affect non-magical objects was a indicator of her growing corruption and increasing lack of control at the time. It never went back to its previous limitations and so it has affected non-magical beings since 1988. The kind of affect it has does change depending on the writer. Something it just knocks people out without leaving a scratch and sometimes it slices them up like a normal blade. Its effect on non-magical people appear to be based on what she wants. If she is fighting to the death it will cut, and if she's not it will simply KO them, like her fight with Black Widow in AvX.

I'd say Illyana gets a ton of respect from Marvel now, especially when compared to her peers. Not only was she made one of Krakoa's 4 captains, but she got so much more respect and things to do than Bishop or Gorgon, the other captains, and she's been shown to have a great working relationship with Cyclops. Marvel finally started acknowledging that she's well-trained in swordfighting in her match with Raza and her training Doug after years of treating her like a pure brawler with no skill. Compared to the rest of the New Mutants she also gets much more respect. Going back to the first few Hickman issues, when they were facing the 2 assassin squads she solo's the more dangerous squad off panel quicker than her 3 teammates could deal with the more diversionary squad. In the Ed Brisson issues she was the only competent member of the cast. X of Swords had her most impressive teleportation feat ever when she teleporting the entire Sword station into Otherworld, without any outside amps like Nightcrawler had for his big feat and without killing herself in the process like Nightcrawler did. Curse of the Man-Thing has her succeeding where Captain America and Spider-Man failed in getting Ted Sallis to start helping instead of just feeling sorry for himself, gives her an entire new team to lead, and gives her yet another massive teleportation feat. Savage Avengers, while it dropped the ball in making the final battle meaningful, treated her as an absolute powerhouse and gave her the final blow which defeated Kulan Gath. This moment in Strange Academy is the only one I look at and say 'this is really disrespectful.'

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by andreikes View Post
    I'm loving playing with her in Marvel Future Revoltuipn
    What is Future Revolution like? Them adding Magik as one of their first 10 characters shows that the developers clearly have great taste in characters ( ) but how playable is it if I don't want to spend tons of money?

Last edited by Tayne Japal; 01-18-2022 at 04:25 AM.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherna View Post
    What is Future Revolution like? Them adding Magik as one of their first 10 characters shows that the developers clearly have great taste in characters ( ) but how playable is it if I don't want to spend tons of money?
    I've been playing it for a week after learning about the game on the X-Men subreddit. Also, I never played Future Fight. It's very playable without spending any money on it by just going through the story mode. I play it on an Android tablet and the graphics and response are really good. There seems to be enough challenges available to keep you engage and other modes, skills, and boosts, etc. becoming available as you progress. Magik is my main with Storm as my secondary. I haven't bothered with the other MCU heroes. The game is built to drain money from the player. I haven't spent any on it and don't really see the need as I don't plan on being atop any leaderboard. I think it's good in 20–30-minute bursts. I think playing to find items to customize your player appearance is the most addicting factor about the game. Give it a whirl and see if you like it or not.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Quote Originally Posted by Tayne Japal View Post
    I've been playing it for a week after learning about the game on the X-Men subreddit. Also, I never played Future Fight. It's very playable without spending any money on it by just going through the story mode. I play it on an Android tablet and the graphics and response are really good. There seems to be enough challenges available to keep you engage and other modes, skills, and boosts, etc. becoming available as you progress. Magik is my main with Storm as my secondary. I haven't bothered with the other MCU heroes. The game is built to drain money from the player. I haven't spent any on it and don't really see the need as I don't plan on being atop any leaderboard. I think it's good in 20–30-minute bursts. I think playing to find items to customize your player appearance is the most addicting factor about the game. Give it a whirl and see if you like it or not.
    Pretty much agree with all of this. If you are just playing casually there is no need to spend any money on it. Only if you are one of the hardcore mobile gamers you probably have to. The game has PvP as one of its elements and in there it's pretty much "money=power". It's not mandatory or anything like that so again I wouldn't really worry about it.
    And I can agree that collecting all the uniforms is a big draw.

There is this badass set for Magik with glowing red runes that I would really like to have it but you have to get lucky for that. Or spend money. That's just how these games work.