Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

I’ll look for the interview and, if I find it, I’ll post it here.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Rucka never meant for them to be a permanent couple. Their relationship is too volatile to last. It’s the one thing Rucka intended with Kate that DC has actually stuck with. I know I’m in the minority here.
    He's said the opposite:

20221021_195546.jpg

Their "volatility" is based on things about them that they've both grown past; Renee has come out, and Kate has found another purpose for her life.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-30-2022 at 07:24 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    He's said the opposite:

20221021_195546.jpg

Their "volatility" is based on things about them that they've both grown past; Renee has come out, and Kate has found another purpose for her life.
    This is essentially the story I wanted with them. Working through their volatility and pain and coming back together.

He's said the opposite:

20221021_195546.jpg

I haven’t found yet what I remember reading. It’s entirely possible I’m misremembering. Putting that aside, and going off of what he wrote on Discord, it sounds to me like Rucka’s intention is for Kate and Renee to live happily ever after at the end of their stories. Not now and it sounds like not until the publishing of new Kate and Renee stories ceases forever. Kind of like those movies where the two characters finally get together and then the movie ends. Until that time, like Rucka said on Reddit, when it works, it’s The Best Thing Ever. When it doesn’t, get the flak jackets out.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I haven’t found yet what I remember reading. It’s entirely possible I’m misremembering. Putting that aside, and going off of what he wrote on Discord, it sounds to me like Rucka’s intention is for Kate and Renee to live happily ever after at the end of their stories. Not now and it sounds like not until the publishing of new Kate and Renee stories ceases forever. Kind of like those movies where the two characters finally get together and then the movie ends. Until that time, like Rucka said on Reddit, when it works, it’s The Best Thing Ever. When it doesn’t, get the flak jackets out.
    If the intention is that they shouldn't be happy together right now, then there needs to be a reason why. Right now there's not. They were broken up off-panel between stories... just because, it seems. The Harley/Renee holiday story from a while back seems to depict the breakup for a single panel, but still no reason was given. That's a problem when the points of contention from their first breakup have both been fixed and they've both matured since then.

I don't think there's anything about either of their characters to warrant this sort of thing. DC just doesn't want to do it, and so does so by fiat.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-30-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I think Kate should be with Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    And . . . why?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And . . . why?
    Their Arrowverse versions had some good chemistry and were a bit flirty.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And . . . why?
    Same reason people ship TimKon!

He's said the opposite:

20221021_195546.jpg

Yeah pretty much as I thought. Rucka's intent would be that they're endgame and together and if he was consistently writing them, it'd be Renee/Kate all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    If you're talking about arrowverse influence, then they should create Lena Luthor and put Supergirl with her.

But as far as the comics go, if you were looking for a woman to pair Supergirl with(other than Batgirl which seems to be the number 1 on most people's lists). Then imho the best fit could be the girl(s) that already have deeper feelings her(or the representation of her).

Which would be Wonder Woman(AU)

Or Maxima(Main continuity)

Either one would be great for DC to actually do, but I doubt they will. I'd love if they did though.

If the intention is that they shouldn't be happy together right now, then there needs to be a reason why. Right now there's not. They were broken up off-panel between stories... just because, it seems. The Harley/Renee holiday story from a while back seems to depict the breakup for a single panel, but still no reason was given. That's a problem when the points of contention from their first breakup have both been fixed and they've both matured since then.

I don't think there's anything about either of their characters to warrant this sort of thing. DC just doesn't want to do it, and so does so by fiat.
    Pretty much this.. new writer comes in, decides "I don't want to have Renee and Kate appear in each other's stories as a couple cause I want to do some dramatic stuff and forget all their character growth." and will do some off-panel stuff and the readers just have to deal with it. At least till Rucka comes back.
    Last edited by Majesty; 10-30-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Pretty much this.. new writer comes in, decides "I don't want to have Renee and Kate appear in each other's stories as a couple cause I want to do some dramatic stuff and forget all their character growth." and will do some off-panel stuff and the readers just have to deal with it. At least till Rucka comes back.
    However, if I'm not mistaken, Rucka wrote Renee with Elicia in Lois Lane comic.

It's true that Rucka sees Renee and Kate as endgame, but he would write them in romantic relationships with other people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    However, if I'm not mistaken, Rucka wrote Renee with Elicia in Lois Lane comic.

It's true that Rucka sees Renee and Kate as endgame, but he would write them in romantic relationships with other people too.
    I think he didn't realize Kate and Renee had gotten back together when he wrote that. IIRC, that's specifically what that image I posted was a response to: someone asking what the deal about that was.

Incredible Member

That’s a very similar thing that they’ve done with Harley & Ivy, using a title with both characters that I am not sure many actually read because it was so poorly written, so it’s not like DC don’t have a recent track record in this kind of hacksawing up relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    That’s a very similar thing that they’ve done with Harley & Ivy, using a title with both characters that I am not sure many actually read because it was so poorly written, so it’s not like DC don’t have a recent track record in this kind of hacksawing up relationships.
    They hacksaw lgbt relationships between characters that are popular enough to have a solo series.

Renee and Kate? Constantly broken up (when Rucka isn't writing them)
    Harley and Ivy? Constantly broken up after LOOOOOOOONG arcs that get them together. Seriously.. they give us what... 20+ issues of building up to Harley and Ivy getting together and then break them up within the next 5? Definitely what it feels like.

However if it's with a background character, then they aren't in a rush to break them up.

We're in 2022 and these comics are still taking "baby steps". Smh.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    They hacksaw lgbt relationships between characters that are popular enough to have a solo series.

Renee and Kate? Constantly broken up (when Rucka isn't writing them)
    Harley and Ivy? Constantly broken up after LOOOOOOOONG arcs that get them together. Seriously.. they give us what... 20+ issues of building up to Harley and Ivy getting together and then break them up within the next 5? Definitely what it feels like.

However if it's with a background character, then they aren't in a rush to break them up.

We're in 2022 and these comics are still taking "baby steps". Smh.
    Being from the UK is this because they are still worried about upsetting middle America?