Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Shouldn't Jessica Jones and Dani Cage have been there too, considering Luke is?

Also, Misty and Colleen's designs look off model, shouldn't they look like they currently do in Amazing Spider-Man?
    LOL! My thoughts exactly, Digifiend.

June solicitation for Iron Fist:

IRON FIST #5 (OF 5)
    ALYSSA WONG (W) • MICHAEL YG (A)
    Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    VARIANT COVER BY GUNJI
    • The seal has been broken!
    • As a dark god's power begins to rise, LIN LIE faces an impossible choice!
    • Will the power of the IRON FIST finally accept him…and even if it does, will it be enough?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Image 1 of 1
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Like some of the other posters here, I recently reread Brisson initial run on Iron Fist:

Overall, it was a good read. I believe I said this before when I first read it, but it felt like validation. In one sense, it touched on plot points from previous arcs. Yes we all remember the Seven Cities of Heaven tournament arc. But for a tournament that was supposed to showcase Danny's abilities, he lost his first match and didn't participate in any other fight. In Brisson's arc, we see Danny going head to head with different fighters and proving that he is indeed a tenacious martial artist.

Additionally, the arc dealt with Danny's feelings of inadequacy and guilt, having turned his back on K'un-Lun. It dealt with feelings of abandonment. And in a meta way it dealt with that notion of white saviorism. Hence why I'll always be fond of this story because Danny, in a very visceral way, fights back against those charges:

Iron Fist Divine Wolf.jpg

Danny earned the Iron Fist title. He didn't steal. He didn't insult. He didn't desecrate. He didn't discriminate. He earned that title. Inch by inch, fight by fight, fist by fist. So that's why I will always appreciate this run. And hopefully others will remember that.

At the same time, some of us may already see the flaws of Brisson's run: the art. It's hard to discern and not that clear. However, there's a grittiness to it. No, you can't really see the technique, but you can somewhat feel the technique. In this case, my imagination takes over and fills in the gaps of the fight scene.

So yes, there were flaws in Brisson's run. However, it did counter a lot of criticisms against Danny.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 03-19-2022 at 04:24 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Also, Misty and Colleen's designs look off model, shouldn't they look like they currently do in Amazing Spider-Man?
    Luke should've married Coleen Wing so I'm happy lol

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Luke should've married Coleen Wing so I'm happy lol
    Yeah! I always thought they made a great pair (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-21-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

"I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    That's a nice cover. AIPT list it as by Sunny Gho, but it looks like Leinil Yu to me.

Hi all. Just wanted to share my thoughts on Iron Fist #2. Overall, this was good. The things that stuck out to me were as follows. SPOILER ALERTS!

- The story is really rich in continuity. Wong weaves so many good parts and acknowledges the past in a number of ways. Seriously, elements from Iron Fist, Agents of Atlas, and even Sword Master's history all come together in this story. We have a scene featuring Danny and his crew in the same issue as Lin Lie's shoutouts to his fellow Agents of Atlas. We have Wu Ao Shi in the same issue as Chiyou's demon hordes. That's pretty cool since all of these characters and titles occupy the martial arts/Asian corner of the Marvel Universe. It would make sense that there'd be overlap and I'm glad someone finally is doing that.

- I like the new addition of Yang Yi. Wong is bringing in influences into the Marvel Universe that we don't get to see: the Asian soap opera. I smiled with the conflict between Lin Lie and Yang Yi. For those who know, there were definitely Asian soap opera vibes there. The jealous rival and his faction wait in the wings to turn the situation in their favor. At the same time, their conflict harkens back to Iron Fist history. Lin Lie and Yang Yi's rivalry could be seen as Wendell Rand/Davos 2.0. Here we see K'un-Lun's feelings about outsiders. And now we learn it isn't a white person thing. Lie just represents the latest in a line of outsiders who think they can take the Iron Fist title.

- Wong addresses something that I mentioned in the previous thread, the traits of the Iron Fist. I specifically said that an Iron Fist proves themselves in several ways. Through hard training. Through plunging your fists into the heart of Shou-Lao. Wong acknowledges that here and relates it to concept of tradition, in the fact that someone doesn't have to follow tradition. There are many ways to be an Iron Fist and Lin Lie exhibits these here.

My main issue with this is Lin Lie's potential. If Wong wants to go with the scrappy, youth filled with potential route, she needs to show that Lie has exhibited that potential. Before this, Lie had a handful of appearances and just a little bit of training from Shang-Chi. He was on the right road, but was it enough to be a decent martial artist? Someone who could hold their own in a scrap? Honestly, does he have enough to work with? I don't know. Training with Sparrow was cool, but I wish that Lin Lie had a bit more to work with. Again, I'm still confused as why he doesn't meet up with the rest of the Agents of Atlas. I'm confused as to why Danny didn't recognize Shang's training in Lie.

Still, there are things I do like. Lin Lie looked cool taking down those demons. He reminds me of a Robin version of Iron Fist.

- Cool to see the last page. I have to check my old issues of Sword Master to see if this character was in them. But I see some world building in here.

Overall, I like what I see. Now, some things could be better. Is anyone ever going to get a consistent look for Pei? And yes, Danny and his crew were in the issue, but for like 25% of the issue. Still, the use of continuity, the blending of elements, the building of Lin Lie is coming along well. Looking forward to the next issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

Couples can, in fact, have plans separately.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah! I always thought they made a great pair (IMHO):

This brings back so many memories. Good times! And I'll headcanon Colleen's as Dani's mom lol. #heroesforhire4life
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 04-15-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

This brings back so many memories. Good times! And I'll headcanon Colleen's Dani's mom lol. #heroesforhire4life
    Say what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Say what now?
    I meant to say I'd headcanon Colleen as Dani's mom rather than Jessica Jones. Anyways, I hope to one day see a series with Danny, Luke, Colleen and Misty front and center.

Extraordinary Member

I meant to say I'd headcanon Colleen as Dani's mom rather than Jessica Jones. Anyways, I hope to one day see a series with Danny, Luke, Colleen and Misty front and center.
    Oh. I thought you meant Dani as in Danny Rand. Not Luke’s daughter.

So does everybody in here hate Finn Jones?

So does everybody in here hate Finn Jones?
    I always appreciate Finn's acting in the Iron Fist series. I felt it was good in season 1 since it captured Danny's anger and frustration. He played the more mellowed version of Danny in later seasons fairly well too.

But as I've said before, Iron Fist is about martial arts. From interviews with actors and stunt coordinators, Finn didn't commit to that martial arts training for the first season. It got better in the Defenders series as well as season 2. But Iron Fist was already reeling from bad press. Finn's not doing the martial arts well made it worse.

As for Iron Fist now in comics, I'm still hopeful. I'm seeing the potential in the new Iron Fist. Furthermore, Danny is out of the Iron Fist world just yet. He's playing a role there.
    "I am a man of peace."