Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Since Danny no longer wields the Power of the Iron Fist what should be next for him?
    ^^^Get it back, as it rightfully belongs to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything they CAN do. He's a cultural appropriation character and they got complaints when, despite that being comic accurate, a white blond guy was cast as Danny for the TV series. I think that's why Lin Lie has taken over the mantle. Best we can hope for is that Danny features in any stories starring either his replacement Lin or his best buddy Luke.
    ^^^This isn’t aimed at you, I’m just speaking in general but man, ppl are soooo quick to throw down that cultural appropriation card nowadays. What’s worse though, is how movies/TV/comics execs are quick to cave in.
    Danny’s story isn’t about cultural appropriation.
    His story is watching first his father then his mother die, being utterly alone and then being saved by good ppl who take him in and raise him to become an equally good man himself.

That kind of story should be celebrated not disparaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^He does a GREAT Danny, yes!
    He does a great everyone, actually.

I always felt Carlos Pacheco was BORN to draw Hawkeye, though.
    https://i.ibb.co/h2grMNN/EADAD438-1-...D8873-D01.webp

Agreed. He does great with anyone/anytime/anywhere (IMHO):

Ultimate Member

^^^This isn’t aimed at you, I’m just speaking in general but man, ppl are soooo quick to throw down that cultural appropriation card nowadays. What’s worse though, is how movies/TV/comics execs are quick to cave in.
    His story is watching first his father then his mother die, being utterly alone and then being saved by good ppl who take him in and raise him to become an equally good man himself.

Danny's story in the Netflix show kinda was about cultural appropriation, though. And to be fair, he does invoke the mighty whitey trope a little

But that said, that could easily be diffused by making Kun Lun into a regular magical martial artist magic city instead of an Asian one, with flaws Americans associate with Asia (treatment of women, for example).

There are martial arts for every corner of the globe, yet Iron Fist's mythos only ever invokes one aesthetic.

Iron Fist needs tweaks, not a full scale remodel, IMO.

As many of the posters on this thread know for me when it comes to Iron Fist, I always say the explicit overcomes the implicit. Danny's outward actions outweigh implicit accusations (which I feel are there only if you REALLY look hard). Still, they're there, aren't they? Like many other fans, and especially Asian-American fans like myself, I've had to grapple with them.

That's why I think the changes that have been made so far, like Pei, Lin Lie, and the changes made to K'un-Lun society are in the right direction. And I still believe that the core of Danny Rand is good and that the character will take up that Iron Fist role again. (And yes, if Danny Rand Iron Fist is killed off during a Disney Plus revival of the Defenders, I'd be okay with that. We'd still have the comics).

Indeed, talking about Danny again, I'm feeling that story potential. For now, I'm good with him being the assistant to the new mayor of NYC, Luke Cage:

Very professional-looking aren't they?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

At the same time, I'd want to see Danny as Iron Fist again, because of moments like this (Kaare Andrews is one of my favorite Iron Fist artists too):

"I am a man of peace."

Another great layout from Aja:

"I am a man of peace."

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

^^^Get it back, as it rightfully belongs to him.

Excuse me for randomly jumping in on this, was a big fan of Iron Fist, and Powerman & Ironfist " back in the day"...

Isn't there room for Danny Rand Ironfist now that Shang Chi is back and revived, without the need for Lin Lie to have taken the mantle...

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Excuse me for randomly jumping in on this, was a big fan of Iron Fist, and Powerman & Ironfist " back in the day"...

Isn't there room for Danny Rand Ironfist now that Shang Chi is back and revived, without the need for Lin Lie to have taken the mantle...
    For some people, it's a matter of reclaiming. As has been stated, Danny Rand is saddled with white savior/cultural appropriation accusations. Part of that argument is that an Asian hasn't been featured prominently in that role. This is a sticking point since all of the trappings of Iron Fist are inspired from Asian culture.

In one sense, I support an Asian being Iron Fist. During the 2000s in the title, we saw that Danny is merely part of a larger lineage, many of whom were (and even will be) Asian. That is good, but I think others want an Asian character to be more in the spotlight, not just the periphery. Hence why there's Lin Lie. Though he's still finding a voice, Lin Lie is growing on me.

HOWEVER, that does not have to come at the expense of Danny Rand. And with Shang (as well as other Asian characters) taking more prominent roles in the Marvel Universe, I feel that things are being amended. Things are getting better. To the point where we can have Danny Rand back as Iron Fist.
    "I am a man of peace."

Still feel there should be a resolution to this:

Whatever happened to Fongji Wu? How did the Iron Fist interact with the Phoenix Force? How has it interacted with the Phoenix Force? With the Phoenix Force and Iron Fist being featured as integral to Aaron's Avengers run, I think there could be a resolution.
    "I am a man of peace."

I really, really don't need to see the Phoenix Force tied to the Iron Fist mythology in any way. I don't see how it adds anything worthwhile to it at all.

I would If Danny restarted the Heroes for Hire. He could get a new codename like Dragon Brand.

I do like the name Dragon Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I really, really don't need to see the Phoenix Force tied to the Iron Fist mythology in any way. I don't see how it adds anything worthwhile to it at all.
    I'll admit that having the Iron Fist mythology crossover with the Phoenix Force is a little tiresome at this point. The initial attempt fell a little flat. Also, the Phoenix Force has been used so often that it's become contrived.

However, there were bits and pieces in the initial story that are a little tantalizing. Why could the chi of Shou Lao tame and harm the Phoenix Force? What was so special about it? Was there something unique about Shou Lao's chi? That's interesting to me and could add another aspect to that Iron Fist mythos. At the very least, I wonder what happened to the Iron Fist/Phoenix being Fongji. It would be satisfying to finally get closure with her.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I would If Danny restarted the Heroes for Hire. He could get a new codename like Dragon Brand.
    That sounds cool. A reference to his Iron Fist tattoo, which obviously doesn't go away even though he's lost the Iron Fist powers. Of course Starbrand's name has similar origins.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything they CAN do. He's a cultural appropriation character and they got complaints when, despite that being comic accurate, a white blond guy was cast as Danny for the TV series. I think that's why Lin Lie has taken over the mantle. Best we can hope for is that Danny features in any stories starring either his replacement Lin or his best buddy Luke.
    I think it's ridiculous that he can't be Iron Fist because he's white. I don't even think those complaining knew anything about the character.