Page 109 of 886 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209609 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 13279

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Frank Miller is what happens when all the hype goes to your head.

With CC, I don't even see it as him just being old and cranky - the man, like any writer, just has characters he doesn't really like that much. The weird thing is, I've always believed he writes more well-rounded personalities when he doesn't like the character - it's like he tries harder to find something good about them and flesh them out. He doesn't just default to making them simply awesome in every way. Maybe that's why Emma had some staying power.

CC flawed characters are so much better then his perfect ones.
    Claremont butchered most of his pet characters his work needs to be monitored for it to be readable. Editorial and his artists kept him in check back in the day. Also his memory is waining he can't remember his own continuity from one issue back e.g. Psylockes TK with no finnese then being able to alter molecules an issue later. Hes lost the plot a long time ago.

BANNED

But on to a happier topic...y'all read All New #30 yet? My god...a Bendis issue that didn't make me groan...and I have to say...one of the best Emma/Jean scenes in FOREVER. It had me literally grinning from ear to ear...and (be still my heart) she finally said 'darling'.

Keep this up Bendis, keep this up...and of course, it goes without saying, Sara Pichelli was simply AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by zeddfrost View Post
    But on to a happier topic...y'all read All New #30 yet? My god...a Bendis issue that didn't make me groan...and I have to say...one of the best Emma/Jean scenes in FOREVER. It had me literally grinning from ear to ear...and (be still my heart) she finally said 'darling'.
    It was fairly interesting, and it has been a long time waiting...

Keep this up Bendis, keep this up...
    I doubt that he can or will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    It was fairly interesting, and it has been a long time waiting...

I doubt that he can or will.
    Yeah, I'm still on the fence till I see some non-Jean related Emma awesomeness, but hopefully this is the start of better things and we can expect Emma to go back to being her awesome cynical self. Oh and no giggling. She a grown professional woman, not a blushing teenage ingenue.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence till I see some non-Jean related Emma awesomeness, but hopefully this is the start of better things and we can expect Emma to go back to being her awesome cynical self. Oh and no giggling. She a grown professional woman, not a blushing teenage ingenue.
    She is a grown profesional teacher and business woman, but she is not Ebenezer Scrooge; what is wrong with laughing ?.

And if you think about it, apparently, bonding with Teen Jean put her in such good and cheerful mood, that when she heard such ridiculous and amusing reveal, she couldnt contain the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    She is a grown profesional teacher and business woman, but she is not Ebenezer Scrooge; what is wrong with laughing ?.

And if you think about it, apparently, bonding with Teen Jean put her in such good and cheerful mood, that when she heard such ridiculous and amusing reveal, she couldnt contain the laugh.
    Nothing wrong with that, I just don't want it becoming a key feature of her personality. I'd like to keep the Jeen/Emma bonding to a minimum - someone in this book has to be allowed to have some kinda of real conflict with Jeen - real as in conflict that is based on something. I feel Emma can provide that in a proper manner, not just for the sake of being catty. I fear everyone in this book might end up fawning over Jeen. Conflict in a story has to come from both within and the outside.

I wanted to add something - I always felt Emma and Jean's root conflicts weren't over Scott - he was just part of it. These were two intelligent women. When they were written well, their conflict sprung from their different approaches to life, their students and how they used their mutant abilities. They were both on the same side, but they had totally different view points. I'd like to see this incorporated more by Bendis - not every disagreement two women have is over a man.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 08-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Claremont butchered most of his pet characters his work needs to be monitored for it to be readable. Editorial and his artists kept him in check back in the day. Also his memory is waining he can't remember his own continuity from one issue back e.g. Psylockes TK with no finnese then being able to alter molecules an issue later. Hes lost the plot a long time ago.
    Specifically, which issue(s) depicts Betsy sans finesse and which was the one that followed depicting her altering molecules?

Manipulating students is something that the "old evil Emma" did. It is very disturbing to see Rachel using the same tactics. How would have she reacted if she had learned Emma was using an "evil Jean" or an "evil Wolverine" to train her current students?

Primum vivere deindre philosophare

New Emma figures mentioned today in the main cbrcomics page:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=54879

Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by airdreams View Post
    Great art and I love their costumes. I also like the concept of them being a team focused on being heroes.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I wanted to add something - I always felt Emma and Jean's root conflicts weren't over Scott - he was just part of it. These were two intelligent women. When they were written well, their conflict sprung from their different approaches to life, their students and how they used their mutant abilities. They were both on the same side, but they had totally different view points. I'd like to see this incorporated more by Bendis - not every disagreement two women have is over a man.
    I agree to a certain point. While both on the same team, their different approaches were cause of minor conflict, but they both fancied the same man... that tends to bring major conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Specifically, which issue(s) depicts Betsy sans finesse and which was the one that followed depicting her altering molecules?
    Its upon her move from Uncanny X-Men to Excalibur. I don't have my issues on me so I can't give you the exact numbers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    He intended for the Hellfire Club to be destroyed and have Shaw and Emma lose their powers? I thought he only intended to have Tessa reveal herself as a doubt agent and help free them from the SK's influence. If that was his main intention, way to go Louise Simonson for preventing that and having Shaw voted out of the Club!
    Yes, Tessa does reveal herself as a double agent and help free Shaw ans Frost from The Shadow King's influences. During the fallout from that The Hellfire Club loses all of it's influence, goes bankrupt. and Emma and Shaw are left beaten, poor, and broken. I may have been wrong about being completely stripped of their mutant powers, but they do take a massive downgrade in terms of the strength of their mutant powers. After this part The Hellfire Club is no longer any threat, and Tessa joins the X-Men proper.

Frank Miller is what happens when all the hype goes to your head.
    Oh Frank Miller, what a character. I will be honest and say I liked The Dark Night Strikes Again for the sheer insanity he crammed into that book. It is definitely a broken narrative and grossly ridiculous in execution, but it was really fun to read. However, I really hate Miller's reduction of women into two categories: whores and young impressionable girls taking after their older male idols.

With CC, I don't even see it as him just being old and cranky - the man, like any writer, just has characters he doesn't really like that much. The weird thing is, I've always believed he writes more well-rounded personalities when he doesn't like the character - it's like he tries harder to find something good about them and flesh them out. He doesn't just default to making them simply awesome in every way. Maybe that's why Emma had some staying power.

CC flawed characters are so much better then his perfect ones.
    Claremont has been in the business for a long time, and many of the personal stories in interviews he's done show how much crap he and other writers put up with from editorial and their fellow writers. This is a hard and unforgiving business from all avenues. The fans rage at you, your bosses micromanage your writing and make you change it, your fellow writers will sometimes undercut your stories because it interferes with their own stories, artists have hectic schedules, and if you work for the Big 2 the reality is nothing you create is truly your own. It all becomes the property of the corporation. All you are left with are memories and nostalgia.

It's why Claremont the man fascinates me more than Claremont the X-Scribe. He's been in the business for over 2 decades and lets face it, his initial runs were in the 70s and 80s and then he came back after essentially bypassing the entire 90s to return to the X-Men during the 00s. I don't like his writing, but this man is a living time capsule of Marvel comics over the decades.
    Last edited by fod_xp; 08-17-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    Yes, Tessa does reveal herself as a double agent and help free Shaw ans Frost from The Shadow King's influences. During the fallout from that The Hellfire Club loses all of it's influence, goes bankrupt. and Emma and Shaw are left beaten, poor, and broken. I may have been wrong about being completely stripped of their mutant powers, but they do take a massive downgrade in terms of the strength of their mutant powers. After this part The Hellfire Club is no longer any threat, and Tessa joins the X-Men proper.

Oh Frank Miller, what a character. I will be honest and say I liked The Dark Night Strikes Again for the sheer insanity he crammed into that book. It is definitely a broken narrative and grossly ridiculous in execution, but it was really fun to read. However, I really hate Miller's reduction of women into two categories: whores and young impressionable girls taking after their older male idols.

Claremont has been in the business for a long time, and many of the personal stories in interviews he's done show how much crap he and other writers put up with from editorial and their fellow writers. This is a hard and unforgiving business from all avenues. The fans rage at you, your bosses micromanage your writing and make you change it, your fellow writers will sometimes undercut your stories because it interferes with their own stories, artists have hectic schedules, and if you work for the Big 2 the reality is nothing you create is truly your own. It all becomes the property of the corporation. All you are left with are memories and nostalgia.

It's why Claremont the man fascinates me more than Claremont the X-Scribe. He's been in the business for over 2 decades and lets face it, his initial runs were in the 70s and 80s and then he came back after essentially bypassing the entire 90s to return to the X-Men during the 00s. I don't like his writing, but this man is a living time capsule of Marvel comics over the decades.
    Yeah, love him or hate him - he is indeed a fasinating man.

I also get a sense from him in interviews, that he would've prefered if the X-Men just ended when he first left - like only his own stuff is truly canon. It's a weird thing for a comic writer to seem so against the whole round-robin/continuation nature of the medium. But then again not many comic writers, write the same thing for 16 years straight and he did leave under some pretty unhappy circumstances.

Heavens knows one could make a interesting documentary about the man. Some indie film maker needs to get on that stat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Its upon her move from Uncanny X-Men to Excalibur. I don't have my issues on me so I can't give you the exact numbers.
    Bummer I spent all morning going through Uncanny and Excalibur and found no evidence that supports your claim that ("upon her move from Uncanny X-Men to Excalibur") Betsy rearranged/altered/manipulated molecules. Can anyone support/backup ExodusCloak with the issue(s) numbers in reference to his former post (link).