Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's my big thing. I don't see what was even the point of it.
    I think the point was to establish these prehistoric avengers as staples in the lore of various heroes. Not as many people care, but I think Aaron also radically shifted the lore of Man-Thing with this story too.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I think the point was to establish these prehistoric avengers as staples in the lore of various heroes. Not as many people care, but I think Aaron also radically shifted the lore of Man-Thing with this story too.
    Prolly my biggest issue with the concept is that the legacy characters is way to aggressive. Like Starbrand looking exactly like a Hulk or Odin using Mjolnir for some reason instead of actual weapons associated with him, it makes the whole thing feel hokey.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's too bad the '90s Avengers couldn't take back the Beast as a member. It would have brought over some X-Men readers, and it's not like he was doing such great things in the X-Men line anyway.

You could tell whenever Bob Harras had Beast show up in Avengers that he really wanted him back as a writer, but he was also X-Men editor and he wouldn't give himself permission to use McCoy on a regular basis. Such was the weirdness of the period when editors were hiring each other as writers.

That would've been great. It could've saved us the trouble of having to go through the whole "Dark Beast Saga"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Prolly my biggest issue with the concept is that the legacy characters is way to aggressive. Like Starbrand looking exactly like a Hulk or Odin using Mjolnir for some reason instead of actual weapons associated with him, it makes the whole thing feel hokey.
    I agree with that, but at least it wasn't something like the starbrand was the first hulk or whatever

Astonishing Member

The timeline also doesn’t make sense.

Somehow the Panther Tribe and Atlanteans exist hundreds of thousands of years before the emergence of anatomically modern humans etc

It seems like Aaron started with his line up then tried to attach it to the timeline of the Celestial Hosts

Considering the clear disdain a lot of writers seem to have for the Avengers these days; I’ll admit Aaron trying to weave them into the fabric of 616’s past and not act like every team member should consider their membership a badge of shame made me give him a lot of slack

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Stern's run is amazing especially his Under Siege arc and is basically tied for me with Busiek's run for my all time favorite Avengers run.
    Sterns' run is up there with some of the best Avengers runs imo.

I know people were upset with the Phoenix mother thing but I think it resolved in a way that made sense
    Thank goodness!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    The timeline also doesn’t make sense.

Somehow the Panther Tribe and Atlanteans exist hundreds of thousands of years before the emergence of anatomically modern humans etc

It seems like Aaron started with his line up then tried to attach it to the timeline of the Celestial Hosts

Considering the clear disdain a lot of writers seem to have for the Avengers these days; I’ll admit Aaron trying to weave them into the fabric of 616’s past and not act like every team member should consider their membership a badge of shame made me give him a lot of slack
    I mean I'm not sure that piece is illogical. Marvel earth doesn't really adhere to/follow an actual timeline of evolutionary development. I'm not sure they ever have.

I'm just ready to move on from this Ancient Avengers plot.

Astonishing Member

I'm just ready to move on from this Ancient Avengers plot.
    Indeed. Cowboy Avengers should be where it s at

Mighty Member

I'm wondering what the next iteration of the Avengers will look like. They're going to want some consistency with the movies (so maybe she-hulk back with the team, namor staying around, thor, maybe shang-chi?) but also I'm wondering about characters like Blade and Ghost Rider. I feel like Marvel wants the Midnight Sons to stand on its own, but until that comes out, feels like they'll still want a platform to keep those characters afloat.

I'm wondering what the next iteration of the Avengers will look like. They're going to want some consistency with the movies (so maybe she-hulk back with the team, namor staying around, thor, maybe shang-chi?) but also I'm wondering about characters like Blade and Ghost Rider. I feel like Marvel wants the Midnight Sons to stand on its own, but until that comes out, feels like they'll still want a platform to keep those characters afloat.
    It'll probably depend on the writer as well. I'm not sure how much editorial or "marketing" has to do with the roster any more, although it was clear which characters Aaron cared about and which he didn't.

Astonishing Member

Odds are whoever’s wearing the Panther habit once Ridley finally stops torturing T’Challa will be on the team, as will one ☝️ f the Captains America. I wouldn’t hold much to synergy seeing a marvel seems vaguely ashamed of the MCU at the moment

I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t mind a new Uncanny Avengers team with Arakii as the mutant members, because inviting an Avengers team to operate on Arakko is one of the few foreign affairs clapbbacks the Great Ring can make against Storm and Brand

It'll probably depend on the writer as well. I'm not sure how much editorial or "marketing" has to do with the roster any more, although it was clear which characters Aaron cared about and which he didn't.
    I agree, it totally depends on who the next writer is and their pitch for the book, as well as Brevoort's ideas on how to move the franchise forward.
    That said, I expect the next Avengers run to be much smaller in scale.
    Conventional wisdom seems to suggest Marvel follows up big idea runs with smaller character runs (look at the new Fantastic Four announcement).

The last 10 years of Avengers:
    2012 - 2016: Hickman era - Huge run, multiverse-under-attack story, large roster, focused on one big idea (incursions)
    2016 - 2018: ANAD era - Multiple smaller runs, Waid / Zub / Ewing doing character focused stories
    2018 - 2023: Aaron era - Huge run, multiverse-under-attack story, large roster, focused on one big idea (legacy Avengers throughout time)

The next era will probably be similar to the ANAD era in the sense that there might be a few different smaller-scale books and some of the more classic characters (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Wonder Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp) might come back.
    I fully expect Thor, Valkyrie, Namor, Nighthawk and Starbrand to leave the team.

Kang might be one of the villains since there hasn't been a big Kang vs Avengers story in a while and he features in the upcoming Avengers movies.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Considering that the comics seemingly abandoned altogether the idea of sinergy with the movies lately (I mean, Wandavision is released as a huge hit and the two of them not even appear in comics, together or otherwise) I'm not sure there will be too many things in common, in part because I doubt the comics division is informed on what's happening there these days- see also Carol's origin being retconned to some daughter of Kree non-sense while the movie played it straight, apart from gender-bending Mar-vell.

We'll probably see a Kang story though, specially since we haven't seen one in a while.