Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Oh! Also—did anyone else notice that WCA only had one chairman for its 102 issue run? Seemed like it was almost an afterthought.
    No, I think you're mistaken.. It had 4. Hawkeye for the first 40 or so issues. Then U.S.Agent as the US government force-fed member appointed himself as leader, but no one took him seriously, so I'm not counting him, and Hank acted as the un-official leader right up until the Avengers re-estructured under the U.N. and he was officially voted in as leader, for a short time, before being replaced as leader by Iron Man, when he and Jan chose to leave the team. Finally, Hawk went back to being leader after Iron Man left, but after the Demonica adventure, when he lost his Sh... because Bobbi was kidnapped, he stepped down, and Wanda became the leader for the 10 issues or so until the end of the book. She then became the leader of Force Works.

Peace

PS. I just rechecked, and appearently I was mistaken also. Hank was never officially appointed WCA leader,even though he acted as leader for a good deal of the run. He announced he was leaving before they selected a leader post the UN reestructuring. So I guess it's just 3 official leaders. However, he was appointed the leader of the reserve WCA post OGS, so I don't know if that'd count.
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-17-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like even without having other Avengers ongoings there've been too many Avengers teams in Aaron's run.
    The fact is that it feels like he has been machine-gunning things into the wall, and not even checking to see what sticks. Just random concepts without any time being taken to properly develp them. And most of these concepts are really just pointless derivative crap, IMHO.

Peace

Holy crap. Over a month with no traction in this thread. I blame Aaron’s chokehold on the franchise.
    Well, I'll say that I'm still enjoying Aaron's run, on both the regular Avengers and Avengers Forever titles. I've been busy these last few weeks, so I never got a chance to talk about Avengers Forever #7:

I liked this story. It reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode "Five Characters In Search of An Exit" with all of these random characters tossed together and trying to figure a way out. But they are all Steve Rodgers in a way. And Steve being Steve does find a way out. Indeed, I loved this part of the book:

You see that? It's Yeoman America from Perez/Busiek's Morgan Le Fay story! I'm sure the other Captain Americas are from different stories as well. I'm looking forward to Avengers #58 which will come out this Wednesday:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Also looking forward to Avengers 1,000,000 B.C.:

And the AXE: Judgement event coming out soon as well:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    Well, if we want news, Marvel seems to have released October's solicitations early.

Attachment 122880

HISTORY'S MIGHTIEST UNTOLD SECRETS!
    Jason Aaron (W) / Ivan Fiorelli (A)
    If the Avengers hope to survive being lost in time, they'll need the help of some of history's greatest heroes, from the Thor of the Viking Age to the T. Rex Starbrand at the dawn of time, plus all the forgotten Avengers of bygone eras whose stories can finally be told.

Also, from Tom Brevoort's Substack:

https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/not-a-good-person

Q: Is the Aaron Era on Avengers going to keep on going for some time or are we nearing the end?
    A: If an ending were in the offing, Steve, I don’t know that I would announce that in a Newsletter such as this one. But we are headed to a big climax next year in both AVENGERS and AVENGERS FOREVER, one that will have both titles interacting directly over the course of some months. A well-known artist is already penciling the kickoff book, which you’ll see in…November, I think? So solicitations will be out shortly that will give you a few more details.

Aaron is apparently working on a Marvel comics event for next year which will crossover Avengers and Avengers Forever.
    I suspect this will be the finale of Aaron's run and will involve all the Avengers (across time and across the Multiverse) taking the war to Mephisto and his Council of Red.

We'll probably hear more news about this in SDCC.
    I was not expecting Aaron's run to go into next year.

Almost every big run that started after Secret Wars has ended i.e. Fantastic Four, Immortal Hulk, Spencer's Spidey, Aaron's Thor, and Cate's Venom so to see Aaron still be on Avengers is quite remarkable.

Avengers 50 was mediocre, but the book has gotten better since then.

Holy crap. Over a month with no traction in this thread. I blame Aaron’s chokehold on the franchise.
    I have my issues with Aaron's writing. The thing is, Marvel's pool of writers is not that deep. It just isn't. Who do you replace him with?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Ewing is the obvious choice, but his continuity/history-heavy approach seems to be the exact approach Marvel doesn't want for the Avengers. They're committed to making it a big "summer blockbuster" book with an all-star team, and they're not going to change course as long as sales are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Ewing is the obvious choice, but his continuity/history-heavy approach seems to be the exact approach Marvel doesn't want for the Avengers. They're committed to making it a big "summer blockbuster" book with an all-star team, and they're not going to change course as long as sales are decent.
    By that metric they'd probably give it to Cates, but I don't see him wanting to write another team book.

I'm not sure if they'll pry Duggan away from the X-Books. I'm not sure if he'd even want to write a normal, mainline, Avengers book.

And like other than Ewing, Duggan, and Cates...is there anybody else who is really left?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The last history oriented writer we had was Busiek, which was one of the most successful runs and he did it without putting Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team like Bendis.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-17-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The last history oriented writer we had was Busiek, which was one of the most successful runs and he did it without putting Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team like Bendis.
    Oh, I'm not saying a history-oriented approach wouldn't sell. I'm saying Marvel doesn't seem to want it. There's been nothing that even gestured in the direction of classic Avengers since "No Road Home."

At this point it's been so long since we had a "classic Avengers" team and approach that it seems Marvel actively does not want that to happen, maybe because it would be seen as catering to nostalgia.

Unfortunately they're willing to cater to nostalgia with X-Men, but not Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I have my issues with Aaron's writing. The thing is, Marvel's pool of writers is not that deep. It just isn't. Who do you replace him with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    By that metric they'd probably give it to Cates, but I don't see him wanting to write another team book.

I'm not sure if they'll pry Duggan away from the X-Books. I'm not sure if he'd even want to write a normal, mainline, Avengers book.

And like other than Ewing, Duggan, and Cates...is there anybody else who is really left?
    If Spencer was still around I would love to him take a crack at it.

I know he wrote Secret Avengers and Avengers World which were really good, but his Superior Foes and Ant-Man were so good and he can juggle multiple characters really well.

I would like Jim Zub, Peter David, and Kelly Thompson to get considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I would like Jim Zub, Peter David, and Kelly Thompson to get considered.
    Has Peter David ever written an Avengers book before? If not that's really surprising

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Has Peter David ever written an Avengers book before? If not that's really surprising
    He wrote The Last Avengers Story, which I thought was great.