Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    If Spencer was still around I would love to him take a crack at it.

I know he wrote Secret Avengers and Avengers World
    which were really good, but his Superior Foes and Ant-Man were so good and he can juggle multiple characters really well.
    I guess coupled with that and Secret Empire there's a chance he could've written an Avengers run...but it never felt like it was in the cards in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Rick Remender has said that "Rage of Ultron" was originally supposed to lead into him taking over the Avengers (which is why it's set after "Secret Wars"), but then he switched to taking over the X-Men, and we know how that worked out (he and the editor both quit when the order came down that the X-Men run had to be all about the Inhumans).

"Uncanny Avengers" was so uneven in its character writing that I don't know if him taking over would have been a good or a bad thing, but he clearly did have a soft spot for the classic Avengers and the cast of "Rage of Ultron" is a classic Avengers cast. But that didn't happen and we ended up with the All-New, All-Different team where all the characters had their own books.

If Spencer was still around I would love to him take a crack at it.

I know he wrote Secret Avengers and Avengers World which were really good, but his Superior Foes and Ant-Man were so good and he can juggle multiple characters really well.
    His Spider-Man and Ant-Man were awesome! He would be my first choice. My other first choice would be Kurt Busiek. As for long shot I would love to see Dennis Hopeless Hallum take a crack at it. His Spider-Woman run was awesome as well.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Rick Remender has said that "Rage of Ultron" was originally supposed to lead into him taking over the Avengers (which is why it's set after "Secret Wars"), but then he switched to taking over the X-Men, and we know how that worked out (he and the editor both quit when the order came down that the X-Men run had to be all about the Inhumans).

"Uncanny Avengers" was so uneven in its character writing that I don't know if him taking over would have been a good or a bad thing, but he clearly did have a soft spot for the classic Avengers and the cast of "Rage of Ultron" is a classic Avengers cast. But that didn't happen and we ended up with the All-New, All-Different team where all the characters had their own books.
    I didn't know this story, so he was gonna write X-Men!?

Damn, and he quite because of the Inhumans push.

Gods that sucks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    His Spider-Man and Ant-Man were awesome! He would be my first choice. My other first choice would be Kurt Busiek. As for long shot I would love to see Dennis Hopeless Hallum take a crack at it. His Spider-Woman run was awesome as well.
    Heck yeah I love his Spidey

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

Remender on Avengers just makes me think everybody would be kind of dysfunctional and sniping at each other all the time because that's usually how he writes his team books.
    I didn't know this story, so he was gonna write X-Men!?

Damn, and he quite because of the Inhumans push.

Gods that sucks so much
    If I remember right Remender's pitch was going to be the X-Men in space or something (before Krakoa did Mars).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Remender on Avengers just makes me think everybody would be kind of dysfunctional and sniping at each other all the time because that's usually how he writes his team books.

If I remember right Remender's pitch was going to be the X-Men in space or something (before Krakoa did Mars).
    So kinda like Brubaker, I think he was the last writer who sent the X-Men to space

Peter J. Tomasi would be a fun choice.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I suspect David Pepose is being trained to take over the main Avengers book once Aaron's run ends in 2023.
    Look at what he's doing now: he's writing Savage Avengers and he's writing the weekly Avengers Unlimited Infinity comic (which basically features all the current Avengers in short stories).
    Tom Brevoort clearly likes him - he praises him all the time on his Substack and even got him to write a Fantastic Four two-parter coming later this year.

I was not expecting Aaron's run to go into next year.

Almost every big run that started after Secret Wars has ended i.e. Fantastic Four, Immortal Hulk, Spencer's Spidey, Aaron's Thor, and Cate's Venom so to see Aaron still be on Avengers is quite remarkable.
    Aaron's Avengers and Immortal Hulk both didn't start that early, they started two years later after Avengers No Surrender, the crossover that served as the finale to Waid's run as well as Ewing's secondary Avengers books and Uncanny Avengers. FF also didn't come back after then, same for Spencer taking over Spidey from Slott, who left ASM to relaunch FF.

In fact didn't Aaron leave Thor to take over Avengers?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-18-2022 at 04:32 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Aaron's Avengers and Immortal Hulk both didn't start that early, they started two years later after Avengers No Surrender, the crossover that served as the finale to Waid's run as well as Ewing's secondary Avengers books and Uncanny Avengers. FF also didn't come back after then, same for Spencer taking over Spidey from Slott, who left ASM to relaunch FF.

No. Aaron was still writing Thor and Avengers until War of Realms.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

oh snap, I totally forgot about those Avengers books

Aaron wrote Thor and Avengers concurrently for a bit before he left sometime after War of The Realms.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Who wrote that Avengers/New Avengers/Uncanny Avengers Forever crossover? That was good.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I would like Jim Zub, Peter David, and Kelly Thompson to get considered.
    Has Peter David ever written an Avengers book before? If not that's really surprising
    I love PAD, but I really don't see him getting such a juicy assignment. I guess it's been almost a decade since PAD was a significant writer at Marvel. I think he is not good at internal politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Peter J. Tomasi would be a fun choice.
    Love his work, but has he ever done anything relevant at Marvel? I'm more familiar with his DC work.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Who wrote that Avengers/New Avengers/Uncanny Avengers Forever crossover? That was good.
    If it's what I'm thinking of...Al Ewing.