Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    That's an interesting take. I feel like Austen's run was worse but shorter and has been all but forgotten. Aaron's run might do more long-term damage to the book.
    For what it's worth, Austen was paired with the always-memorable Olivier Coipel (whose artistry is equally unforgettable):

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    My only gripe? I was expecting Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid, or Outlaw Kid here.
    My preference will always be the classic version (LOL):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-03-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Aaron's run for me has managed to become so ridiculous and bad that I strangely find myself starting to enjoy it.
    Indeed! It's bad, but at least you get the feeling that he is giving it his all and is enthusiastic about it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

And the end IS in sight, so if you don't like his take, you won't have long to wait before someone new takes over.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Indeed! It's bad, but at least you get the feeling that he is giving it his all and is enthusiastic about it.
    Problem for me is that, while he’s surely enthusiastic, it just can’t escape reading like a bad fanfic and all of the cringe that comes with it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That's an interesting take. I feel like Austen's run was worse but shorter and has been all but forgotten. Aaron's run might do more long-term damage to the book.
    Austen only had that England story and whatever was after. Captain Britain was good but he dragged out the Hank/Janet stuff for no reason in a post-WCA (although Johns kinda started it) and wrote some of the characters a bit off.

Aaron tripping with his Thor and Phoenix addiction. What is management doing?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Problem for me is that, while he’s surely enthusiastic, it just can’t escape reading like a bad fanfic and all of the cringe that comes with it.
    I won't fight you on that but he is the best Black Panther writer at Marvel hands down and he doesn't write in a decompressed style. My bar for what is a good Marvel comic has gotten low.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Austen only had that England story and whatever was after. Captain Britain was good but he dragged out the Hank/Janet stuff for no reason in a post-WCA (although Johns kinda started it) and wrote some of the characters a bit off.

Aaron tripping with his Thor and Phoenix addiction. What is management doing?
    Austen's run is the one I most despise in my entire Avengers reading history, even if Bendis was the one that made me stop reading it, probably because, while not worse, it was far longer than Austen's, which led me to not being able to take it anymore. Austen had two story arcs (7 issues, if I'm not mistaken), the New Captain Britain (which never went very far beyond his run), and the New Invaders arc, which led to an also short-lived series (that was not written by him). Not even Oliver Coipel and Scott Kolins were able to save it, so terrible that it was.
    After Bendis left, I managed to read some Avengers runs, even if it was hard to get a book that really felt like the Avengers, with all the New, Mighty, Uncanny, Secret, etc..., and even liked some of them (Slott's Mighty, Waid two modern runs, the second more than the first, the No Surrender arc, Ewing's Mighty, etc...) but never got to enjoy myself reading it as much as before Austen came along. Aaron also was one that made me drop the book.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-15-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I won't fight you on that but he is the best Black Panther writer at Marvel hands down and he doesn't write in a decompressed style. My bar for what is a good Marvel comic has gotten low.
    Not decompressed??? This Prehistoric Avengers crap has been ongoing for YEARS. Ditto Mephisto. I have forgotten when we actually had the Avengers in this book, with the story focused on them, instead of all these self-indulgent mash ups and variants of his pet characters.

This is supposed to be an Avengers book, not a Black Panther book. If he wants to write Black Panther, he can write BP's solo book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Austen > Aaron > Bendis
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Austen > Aaron > Bendis
    this is definitely taking the piss.

Bendis is hands down better than the other two.

Break Out, Dark Avengers, Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, bring Sentry into the fold, and mixing and matching the Avengers team to be more diverse; I mean Luke Cage & Jessica Jones alone made the book amazing.

I can keep going there is so much that is still reverberating in the Marvel Universe now.

Mighty Member

I've enjoyed how he writes Blade in Avengers too. Definitely a lot of fun and creativity with the character

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    this is definitely taking the piss.

Bendis is hands down better than the other two.

Break Out, Dark Avengers, Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, bring Sentry into the fold, and mixing and matching the Avengers team to be more diverse; I mean Luke Cage & Jessica Jones alone made the book amazing.

I can keep going there is so much that is still reverberating in the Marvel Universe now.
    Yes, it's pure trolling. It had it's problems, and had no reason to continue after Siege, but it was the massive shot in the arm the franchise needed, and took the Avengers to genuinely new places ,which of course it's the worst possible thing you can do for some fans. Now the team is back to irrelevance in the comics again, despite the fact they are more popular than ever outside of it.

I understand how the "newness" of Bendis' run and shaking up the team could feel refreshing but for me the plotting, mis-characterization of certain characters, and taking away so much of what made the old team great (or blowing it up, in some instances) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know some people might not like the "classic" style of some older runs but I think some of those stories still hold up objectively better than some of Bendis' Avengers storylines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yes, it's pure trolling. It had it's problems, and had no reason to continue after Siege, but it was the massive shot in the arm the franchise needed, and took the Avengers to genuinely new places ,which of course it's the worst possible thing you can do for some fans. Now the team is back to irrelevance in the comics again, despite the fact they are more popular than ever outside of it.
    I mean, Aaron is arguably trying to take the team to new places but the execution is so insane and random that it just doesn't hit well.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I find it funny how Aaron is really attached to the whole past/present era characters thing.

Like I know writers always have their reoccurring things but this is really specific to make a thing about.

And it doesn't work as well as it did Thor. Like focusing on the centuries past versions of an immortal makes sense but it falters in Avengers because its kinda nonsensical to tightly wound events that happened literally billions of years ago to characters who aren't long-lived.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I understand how the "newness" of Bendis' run and shaking up the team could feel refreshing but for me the plotting, mis-characterization of certain characters, and taking away so much of what made the old team great (or blowing it up, in some instances) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know some people might not like the "classic" style of some older runs but I think some of those stories still hold up objectively better than some of Bendis' Avengers storylines.

I mean, Aaron is arguably trying to take the team to new places but the execution is so insane and random that it just doesn't hit well.

But seriously some of the hyperbole is outta control.

I can't even imagine the state of Marvel let alone The Avengers if Bendis didn't wrench it away from the old heads who only want nostalgia.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 08-16-2022 at 01:24 AM.